Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: armock on 12-01-2009

Note from the brewery "Important: let this beer warm to at least 50° before enjoying".

4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep brown with redish hues, forming a thin 1/4 inch dark mocha head which fades quickly.

S - Strong aroma of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and roasted malts!!! Exremely delicious aroma.

T - The pumpkin spices are not as strong in the taste as in the aroma. The flavor starts out with a nice full roasted malt taste with a light coffee taste throughout. The pumpkin and spices really come out more in the finish. Again, the pumpkin and spices are there, but not overpowering. Very complimentary to the stout characteristics.

M - Nice heavy body with low carbonation. Very smooth and clean. No harsh aftertastes hanging around in the finish.

D - By far my favorite St. Arnold beer to date! Awesome full complex flavor, great body and mouthfeel, and a very inviting aroma to compliment!! What more could you ask for? I really hope they add this to their seasonal line-up!!

Wow, where to start.

the beer pours dark brown/black with a tan head. There are brown highlights when held up to a light source.

Aroma is spicy nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. The spices you would expect from a pumpkin pie. Also get a little gingerbread.

Taste is very complex. I started the beer at about 50 degrees and the first two flavors were chocolate and alcohol. In addition to the chocolate flavor, you also get some bitter chocolate flavor. Very nice. As the beer warms, you start to get more spices. The flavor is not like any of the individual pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice) but tastes like a combination of those spices. As the beer approaches room temperature, it starts to taste like gingerbread. There is also some roasted malt and you do get some alcohol warming.

The beer has a medium-full mouthfeel and little carbonation which goes awesome with this beer. This is a sipper, but it is extremely easy to drink. Even with some alcohol flavor, you cannot tell it is 11 percent. I have never had a beer quite like this. Great effort from Brock and the guys and gals at Saint Arnolds.

This is an outstanding beer. I have only had Divine Reserves 6-9, but this has been my favorite so far.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

"I Barley Made It"

Poured into a New Belgium glass black with a one finger tan head that disappated quickly. No lacing. The smell has a strong scent of pumpkin. The taste is awesome. It's like a chocolate pumpkin pie. There is a strong alcohol presence, which is expected. But considering the time of year, it warms you up nicely. With the combination of pumpkin and alchol warmth, this is the perfect winter beer. Too bad it won't be back next year.

Re-Reviewed 9/12/2012

Poured into tulip glass black as oil, but carbonation almost gone. The scent is still strong of spices and pumpkin. The taste has mellowed quite a bit. The chocolate pumpkin pie I described before definatly is not the case anymore. The pumpkin is still there, and the spices are still there, but the malts that once gave this a chocolate flavor are definatly not as strong. The alcohol burn is also lower which makes the mouthfeel a little better, and the lower carbonation hasn't affected the mouthfeel at all.

Overall, she's aging well.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

Wow, I have been waiting a long time to review a Divine of any kind and it is so worth it.

A- Thick black, faint light through dark brown at edges. Little head and lacing, could be because it is not at recommended temperature.

S- Immediately I notice cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cane sugar. If you have ever smelled the rootbeer they make, the sweet smell is similar, but much richer and more complex.

T & M- This may be the creamiest and smoothest beer I have ever had. Thick, but not overly dense. Alcohol is noticeable, but I am anxious to see this aged.

D- I would have a hard time drinking more than 2 or 3 of these in one sitting. It is not a session beer by any means, but a must try for Imperial Stout fans.

Pick this up or try it on tap if you get the chance. I got two 6-packs for 14.99 +tax each, but it will be well worth it if you enjoy some now and let some age for later.

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

So I usually rate my beers on ratebeer.com, however I use this site to rate beers that haven't had many ratings or are very exceptional. I want to share the experience. Saint Arnold divine was simply amazing. The aroma consists highly of pumpkin pie, spices, chocolate and a little coffee. The flavor is unbelievable pumpkin, chocolate, coffee and spices along with a warming booziness that is far from over done. An amazing example of blending pumpkin and beer which often results in a travesty. Quoting the bottom the cap on this bottle "Take No Pilsner!"

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%

Oh my this is good.
Typically I will start out a review detailing out the attributes in accordance with the list, but this beer is too good to start out that way.

I had heard a lot about the Saint Arnold's DR's and this is my first experience.
The bottle has the Saint divinely looking at a star appearing in the shape of the best state of all Texas.

The beer didn't have a great deal of head to it and what there was disappated quickly. This would be the only downfall in the appearance. The jet black color made it impossible to see any carbonation.

The smell was amazing. I was a foot away from the beer and could still get whiffs of gingerbread whafting up from the glass. Amazing. Great aroma. While the most noted smell was ginger, plenty of others came through. Very balanced.

The most important part of the beer is the taste. When looking through my clear glass, the beer seems as if it could have a strong dark smokey taste, however, it is much lighter than one would expect.

The first part of the beer is a huge breath in to mix the spice with the flavor. The spices blast onto your palate. I get a lot of gingerbread and pumpkin pie.

I do have to ding a little bit for drinkability, although light, and tasty, the 11% ABV would make this more of a one at a time beer.

What an outstanding beer. An outstanding offer from Saint Arnold's. Will put a couple in the back of the fridge for aging.

Wow.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

This has to be one of my favorite beers. Sadly, I have only had the pleasure of drinking 6-7 of them since they are so rare. First of all, the pumpkin is the 1st characteristic that comes across. Followed by a strong taste of alcohol, but not overwhelming nor "burning." Slight notes of cinnamon and other spices, but pumpkin clearly sticks out. Luckily, I got to have two right after it came out, and then a few more a couple of months later. The pumpkin and spice flavor has definitely mellowed over time. I would say it's just as good, but I loved it when it was sort of overwhelming it seemed much fresher, but the flavor changed and became more mature even in the course of a few months. The mouthfeel was nice and tasty. This was actually a beer you could keep drinking and it wasn't as heavy as you would expect. But, be careful, the 11.00% alcohol can catch up on you. The only downside is it seems the carbonation is slightly lacking, the head would barely form and I could see some people considering it to be flat, but I didn't get that. It could have been a little more carbonated. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers of all time and something I would like to recreate in my kitchen.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

appearance - head dissipates quickly, leaves good lacing. black, murky dark brown on pour.

smell - wow. anise, pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon stands out, chocolate, alcohol and a bit of wine (might be coming from alcohol and spice combination) and oak. (this is when first poured at fridge temp) later.... some brown sugar

taste - a lot of pumpkin pie upfront with chocolate (this is about at 38 degrees) so obviously not bad to drink cold. a bit of caramel. im fucking impressed. b+? this guy maybe just needed age or im just liking it for its originality and pulling it off so nicely.

mouthfeel - creamy, thick with remarkable smoothness. decent carbonation. solid.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a snifter. Word was that this was really hot fresh, so I let it age a bit before giving it a go.

3.0 A: Black color. About a quarter finger of frothy light tan head. Poor retention and no lacing.

5.0 S: Wow, this is completely unexpected. This is full of spices and smells as if Halloween got in a head-on collision with Christmas. Allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, and cinnamon meets gingerbread, black licorice, molasses, and candied plums. The stout characteristics never make it past the spiciness, but that's okay considering how awesomely spicy the aromas is.

4.5 T: The stout comes through a bit stronger in the taste, but not much more so. Some roastiness, chocolate, and molasses. The show, once again, are the spices. All the pumpkin spices are in full force with nutmeg and cinnamon at the forefront. The Christmas aspects are equally strong, with ginerbread and sugar plums leading this army. Booze is minimal.

4.0 M: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit low, but it seems to work well. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. The booziness I was expecting really isn't there much at all.

5.0 D: Overall just a really great beer. The spices are strong, but done well and in good combination. The nose is amazing, the taste is nearly as good, and the beer is unique.

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

poured black with a very minimal amount of head that was gone before I set my glass down. Has very faint burnt orange edges

This beer smells delicious! I feel like I am smelling fresh gingerbread cookies mixed with homemade pumpkin pie. It's making me a little hungry to be honest... Along with the spice I am getting a significant amount of booze and some molasses.

The taste follows the nose but with a little more emphasis on the booze, spice and molasses.

Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would have liked but is very well carbonated. The aftertaste is fantastic. It leaves the gingerbread/pumpkin pie lingering in your mouth with a very warming boozy effect.

This beer is fantastic. I cant wait for it to be bottled this year! This was an excellent and surprising find for sure. Mad props to D&Q

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

Huge thanks to ManVersusBeer for a this bottle.

A: Pours a deep, dark, silky smooth pitch black. There is about half a finger of tan head that fades quickly. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer smells sweet and spicy. I'm picking up chocolate and raisins, but I'm also getting cinnamon and candied ginger. It's reminiscent of pumpkin pie.

T: Starts off a bit boozy, but it moves nicely into the spice. I get hits of a hot chocolate (heat, not temperature). But then this beer really mellows out and gets perfectly sweet. Wonderful.

M: Full-bodied beer. It coats the palate, not lingering too long.

O: This is a fantastic beer, and it's seems extremely complex. I was amazed from the start, and I'm amazed at how it changes as it warms. Absolutely delicious.

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to JJFoodie for this bottle as an extra!

Consumed at room temperature, as all my beers are. :)

A: Dark brown body with small, dirty white head that leaves fairly quickly.

S: Wonderful! As soon as I started pouring the beer I could smell it. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread. A decent amount of sweetness, as well as nutmeg, clove, and other spices. I think I can detect a little chocolate as well.

T: Like pumpkin bread studded with chocolate chips. The pumpkin pie spices hit first and are present throughout, but this is joined by some dark, but not too bitter chocolate. There is some malty sweetness as well. The spices may be a little too strong for some, but I think the balance is great right now. It's not quite complex enough for me to give it a 5, but there's plenty going on.

M: Good carbonation that doesn't take away from the flavors. Body is slightly thinner than you might expect for all the intense flavors, but this keeps the beer from becoming too intense.

D: There's no way this is 11%. If I concentrated, I could taste a bit of alcohol, but not much. I would've loved to have another.

This is terrific! I'm not a huge fan of regular pumpkin stouts, but the marriage of the chocolate and sweet backbone of this beer with the spices is just fantastic. I sure hope I can get a few more of these!

4.51/5  rDev +13.3%

Courtesy of cfh64, thanks!
Popped this one open and the cap read "Wine is for Sissies." Totally agree.
Pours a dark, murky brown with a splattering line of mocha bubbles.
Shocked at the smell. Had no idea what to expect and here is chocolate, hazelnuts, dates, plums, pumpkins, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Wow, intriguing and complex.
This tastes like a chocolaty pumpkin pie with some orange and lemon zest hops on top.
A really enjoyable beer and not overbearing with spices like other pumpkin brews I've had, but there is still some spiciness, richness, and a good creamy feel.
I did not know this was going to be a pumpkin stout and was blown away by it. Easily up there with the best pumpkin/squash based beers I've tasted. The alcohol was mellow, likely due to the age, and the flavors really stand out.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #9 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company