Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Saint Arnold Weedwacker - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold WeedwackerSaint Arnold Weedwacker

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 08-17-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a cloudy dark yellow with a big white head that laces.

Smells of spice and some hop spice. Slight sweet notes with small banana notes. The smell is big, not pungent, but there and nice.

Tastes of spice with some fruit notes then follows with a malt, sweet body and finishes with a spice/yeast kick. The taste is fantastic and refreshing. I can't imagine what I'd add. Awesome.

The mouthfeel works really well for the beer and style though it is a bit thin compared to some brews.

Overall this is an awesome summer beer that mixes the lawnmower with hefe aspects and produces a beer with a nice nose and killer taste. Perfect for the hot Texas weather. Nicely done. (674 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

I agree with a previous reviewer who also commented about this beers great name!

A: Nice and cloudy accompanied by two fingers of head. However, head did seem short lived and dissipated relatively quickly.

S: Banana, lemon, and sweet. More subtle smell than other Hefe's I've tasted.

T: Very sweet, strong with lemon, light on banana.

M: Light, coats thoroughly.

O: Great beer for hot summer days, not revolutionary, but better than most Hefe's I've drank recently. (471 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

I've been a skeptic of St Arnolds, but they have finally put out a beer I love, and will drink a lot of this summer, as it is the ideal summer beer.

Poured into pint glass from bottle. Aggressive pour creates a nice fluffy head that actually has nice retention, and leaves awesome lacing on the glass. I'm impressed so far. Smell- fresh cut grass, bananas, cloves, light, airy, refreshing. Taste- bananas, and then I can definitely tell that this beer was made from the Lawnmower base- the refreshing base of the Kolsch beer is here, but it just works perfectly with the belgian yeast. Mouthfeel- nice carbonation, perfect when drank cold! Drinkability- this is something I can pound all summer. I found my perfect Houston session beer. (737 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz bottle into a Kloster Andechs weizen glass.

Head for days--the fluffy eggshell foam does not want to budge thanks to an overactive carbonation level streaming upward through the lemongrass-yellow body. Lots of yeasty haze and sticky lacing: Weedwacker checks all the right boxes in terms of appearance (and then some!). Aroma first presents a grainy mineral water note, soon followed by lots of wheat malts and fruity yeast esters. Floral hops, coriander spice, and citrus peel are all in attendance.

The body is a bit thinner than I had hoped in terms of both flavor and consistency. The Kölsch malt bill lends an extremely drinkable profile of grainy maltiness and floral hops, but the Hefeweizen yeast doesn't kick off much to excite the palate save for a few tiny tastes of bubblegum and vanilla sprinkled about. Mouthfeel is superb, however, with a creamy, well-carbonated light body that goes down smooth as velvet. Overall, Weedwacker fits well into Saint Arnold's lineup, and is probably one of the better summer beers on the Texas shelves. Give it a try. (1,071 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle from a local shop.
Pours looking like a white ale. It is the whitest hefe I have ever seem. Has about a finger of head with no lacing.
Moas has an expected wheat, lemon, Orange, coriander to it. Nice and clean nose.
Taste has more wheat than anything else, then rolls into a hint of lemon finishing with the Orange peel.
Mouthfeel... it leaves a thick coating in the back of my mouth... other than that the body is medium... not a bad hefe. I don't like the lawnmower, but this is nice. An easy drinking summer beer. (525 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

I love the label: Lawnmower's grass is replaced by dandelions and other weeds; Saint Arnold sniffs a wildflower.

The gimmick had me excited at first. Take Lawnmower's grain bill and hop schedule, but use a Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast. The label emphasizes this by presenting the name "Weedwacker" [sic] in sharpie-and-masking-tape style over the Lawnmower label.

Neat idea--not so good a result. The delicious malt profile of Lawnmower is almost entirely lost under the fruity-spicy yeast flavors, so you get the funny soft feeling on your tongue without the taste to justify it. As for the yeast flavors, other reviewers have noted that these are relatively subdued, no doubt because classic Hefeweizens require a lot more wheat malt to feed that famous yeasty character.

We end up with a beer that is thin, moderately fruity, and otherwise undistinguished. That's fine, but the same description applies to plenty of other summer beers that manage to avoid the whole yeast-swapping business.

My advice? Quit telling everyone that this is Lawnmower with a different yeast. It doesn't help. (1,091 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

I've had the Lawnmower a few times but didn't exactly leave a lasting impression...Lets try the Weedwacker. Recently bottled, 12oz.

Appearance-The look of a hefeweizien. Hazy hazy yellowish/orange. 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates slowly into a 1/2 finger head with nice retention and nice lacing. So far so good.

Smell-Not getting much of the classic banana aroma. I am getting some spice and some yeasts. Banana is there, just not as prodominant as I imagined it would be.

Taste-Very Sweet, sweetest hefe I've had. Banana is there, along with some nice citrus notes as well. Clove and Coriander. Very refreshing and sweet throughout the whole drink.

Mouthfeel-Really coats the mouth with all it's flavors. Prickly carbonation but it really cleanses the palate. I look forward to every sip.

Overall-Another nice Hefeweizen from a Texas brewery. I love the Live Oak, and Shiner's Hefe isn't all that bad either. I don't see myself drinking more then 2 in a sitting. Better then the Lawnmower, and be glad this beer is joining the Lineup. St Arnolds continues to grow on me. (1,079 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

12oz bottle into a Hefe glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head that fades to a small layer leaving some good lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is grassy and earthy at first with hints of citrus - mostly lemon, banana, and sweet malt as it settles.

T: The taste mimics the nose pretty well. Lemon citrus, very light banana, earthy/grassy flavors, and a muted malt taste. I expected a bit more banana and maybe some clove flavors but they were muted or non-existant.

M: The feel is slightly creamy yet crisp and refreshing. Best of both worlds here.

O: Definitely not the best Hefe I've ever had but it's pretty good and worth a try. Very refreshing and something I will be drinking occasionally during the hot days of summer. (741 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

I enjoyed this on tap when it first appeared, and when I heard the news of Weedwacker becoming a year round I was thrilled. Picked up my first six pack and cracked the first of waht I am sure will be many last night.

It pours like a good hefe should. It is a cloudy, pale yellow with 2 fingers of head that left a distinct lacing as you drink it down. It has a crisp, sweet, smell with a citrus burst as it goes down. There is a slight grassy tinge to the brew this is a welcome addition to the overall taste. You will also find a creamy mouthful when drinking.

This is a great summer beer, and a great addition to the St Arnold lineup and you can bet I am going to pick up more. If you haven't go get it! (708 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Just bought a freshly delivered sixer at Specs in Round Rock...hoping this one might be one of my summer staples.

Man...what a pour. Tall rocky head, falls slowly, leaving a decent bumpy head for the duration. Pretty spider wed lacing as well. Love the cloudy, pale yellow color too.

Crisp, yeasty smell...typical for the style. A bit of banana coming out, and yes...bubble yum bubble gum is there as well. Intriguing.

Man...that's refreshing! It's 95 degrees in the shade on my porch, and this is hitting the spot. Banana, light grass, that damn pink bubble gum, fresh cut wheat...so very easy to drink.

This is what I'm talking about people! The Shiner Ruby Redbird was a disaster of a summer brew...this Weedwacker: a homerun.

Getcha some...and for the love of God, keep the fruit in the salad and outta the beer. (821 characters)

On-tap at the Flying Saucer

A - Poured a hazy yellow color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - The yeast comes out strong with banana and clove scents

T - Just like the smell the new hefe yeast kicks this regularly tasteless beers ass into one that tastes good with banana and clove flavors

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - The new yeast has done wonders for this beer now it tastes good making it so I could drink this one all day worth trying if you see it around sometime (523 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A pint served at the Gingerman in Austin, TX.

Note: Lawnmower recipe with hefeweizen yeast. Reviewed as a hefeweizen.

Slightly hazy and straw colored. Bleached white head with very good retention. Aroma is spicy, cloves with undertones of bananas. Bit of a carbonation bite up front. Spiciness comes next. Sweet, slightly bubble-gum flavored finish and on the dry side. Medium-light mouthfeel. Not my cup of tea, but very good for a hefeweizen. (446 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

Sampled 8/19/10 at Canyon Creek Cafe in Houston.

A- Very cloudy, hazy, bubbly, no head, ample lacing, yellow/green in color.

S- Floral, fresh cut grass, citrus, sticky sweet, yeast.

T/M- Creamy, smooth, lemon, herbal, grassy, light.

D- Awesome. I thought this was a thoroughly impressive offering from Saint Arnold. I am excited to see what else is in their movable yeast series. I really wish that they would start making this a regularly brewed item. (457 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Had on cask at The Ginger Man in Plano. I had it just about 23 hours after they tapped it so still in the good range but I wish I could have had it freshly tapped as well. Bar lighting but looked to be a cloudy pale straw color. It had a massive white foam head that took it's time to settle. It kept about a 1/2" of foam throughout the drink. Excellent sheeting which coated the glass and stuck.

The aroma was very interesting. Nice mix of the base kolsch and the hefeweizen yeast. The yeast makes a huge difference obviously so the hefe aromas of banana and clove lead the way. There was also quite a bit of lemon aroma which I wasn't expecting but it was good. I think cask tends to bring down the aroma a bit and this was no exception. The taste follows the aroma with the lemon and clove out front with some banana and grassy hops as well. Again, I think the cask brought down the flavor in my opinion. Since they serve the cask in the 50's and the kolsch/hefe range is usually colder, it hurt the final flavor in my opinion. Hopefully this gets re-released at some point and I can try a non-cask version. Mouthfeel was medium with light carbonation - would have preferred more but that's normal for a cask. Pleasing aftertaste.

Overall, a very interesting beer that I'm glad I got to try and really hope they re-release in tap and bottles. Highly recommend if you can find it - worthy of the search. I ended up having 2 and wish I could have stayed for another. One time special release. If available again, I would definitely hunt it down on tap. If bottled, it would be a regular in that rotation. [R;Y] (1,614 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Drank on tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. It looks about like a hefeweizen should look. The aroma is a mix of bananas and wheat. I don't get too much clove character. The flavor is heavy on the bananas with a little bit of lemon and some wheat. There are some spices, but it is not quite the clove that you get it other hefeweizens. Medium, very soft mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (443 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

its like he's getting his ass kicked by a ghost...
There was really something to this beer..
Pours a cloudy sunset banana..
light lacing, typical hefe head on the pour but dies down to a well spotted pool..
10:46, get a watch that works...
Light light grass, light banana, and empty spice rack in the nose..
light mouthfeel, has that kolsch refreshment and that touch, that twist of esters..
its an interesting experiment, its similar to an american wheat basically..
happy to have had my two 22oz glasses...
you gotta walk before you can crawl..
reverse that... (563 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

On cask at the Anvil in Houston.

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow color. A massive, foamy, white head forms that takes a minute to settle. About a finger of rocky foam sticks throughout the pint. Some sticky lace is left behind as well.
S: A great aroma of phenolic yeast, banana esters and spice. Grassy, hay with some very slight hops. A very clean aroma.
T: Follows the nose. This is incredibly clean. Phenolic yeast, banana, and spice. Very much like a Hefeweizen.
M/D: A light body that is a little under carbonated. Fairly smooth, but lacking the great crispness I would expect. I think the cask conditioning has a little to do with that. Very easy to drink. This is something I can drink all day.

The first In Saint Arnold's Movable Yeast Series. This is the Fancy Lawnmower with a Hefeweizen yeast. The difference between this and the regular Lawnmower is very apparent. This is more of a Hefeweizen than a Kolsch with the new yeast, and a good one at that. Overall I think this is one were the cask kind of kills the mouthfeel, but it is still really enjoyable. Something that I would recommend if you can find it. (1,123 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last