Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 03-29-2011

Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 123

Hot dam Saint Arnolds made an amazing beer on this DR11. Tons of citrus notes up front, color is very similar to Surly Abrasive. Hop bomb and the alcohol is very well masked. I love this beer and will enjoy every drop of the other bottles I purchased. Thank you Saint Arnold's!!! I think I love you.

Good GOD this beer is perfect. I've been a slave to the hype of some of the DR series in the past (even though they've all been good) but this beer is on a whole other level.

A: The appearance is stunning: bronze with a creamy, delicious head. Brilliant! Kind of like this... except more brilliant because it's not Guinness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

S: Oh man. You can catch all the hop goodness with some subtle peach as well. What a combo. Yum.

T: See smell. Hoppy and sweet and oh so drinkable. I wonder if my drinking them fast has anything to do with the high rating of this review? Hmm...

M: Good carbonation. Don't trust the MANIPULATION about the CAUSATION of the STIPULATION of St. Arnie. This beer is the MANIFESTATION of SALVATION in this beautiful glass in BREW NATION (America).

O: This beer is amazing. If you disagree, your mother's a whore.

(I am going to regret this later... wait, no I won't, I'm drinking Divine Reserve #11)

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

I have always enjoyed an occaisional IPA & IIPA, however this beer has given me a revewed vigor for the variety. Most balanced IIPA I have had.

A: Bueatiful. Deep golden amber color with a solid two finger head with an aggresive pour. Substanial Lacing.

S: Floral and piney at first with hints of citrus upon closer exmamination. Very appealing.

T: Divine. Perfectly balanced in my opinion. For a beer with such a high hop content the bitterness is masterfully blended with malt for smooth taste. Hints of caramel.

M: Light carbonation that settles well in the mouth. Very drinkable.

O: Hands down the most enjoyable IIPA i have had. From the attractive appearance to the heavenly drinking experience, this is a victory on all fronts for ST A's.

FYI: If you are a dallas native there are still 10+ six packs at Kroger in Richardson (Coit & Beltline) as of 4/8

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Bought at 8:15am at Kroger, chilled for 30 minutes .. . Pours a deep golden amber, head is very good- and the lacing is even better .. . Aroma is quite something- spruce, resin, sap, fresh squeezed hop juice, and honey hop nuggets .. . very clean and slick on the tongue, this could get you in trouble with how easy and enjoyable this is to drink! .. . perfect dose of bitterness to go with the sweet resiny hoppiness and hop oil that coats the tongue .. . this is a delicious beer, and is easily the best Divine Reserve on release .. . Cheers to Saint Arnolds ... .. Say, Dave, maybe after work you'd like to go by the zoo and shoot goats..

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance. Pours a clear copper-orange with a finger of sticky looking, slightly yellow head that lasts a couple minutes and leaves some bands of lace.

Smell. Huge grapefruit, pine, and papaya with some pineapple and a little caramel and grain. Smells awesome.

Taste. Massive pine sap and yellow grapefruit rind! Tropical fruits like pineapple and mango come through in the middle. Some toasty grains and caramel. Finishes with some grassy, piney bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with smooth medium carbonation.

Overall. This is some awesome stuff. An exemplary DIPA.

HUGE thanks to JayAre46 for sending this one!!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

So we were lucky enough to snag one of the last six-packs in Houston - if you weren't in line an hour before the doors opened at some places, you didn't get one. We really enjoyed this beer!

A: Clear, amber in color. Poured a nice one finger head that lasted a long time.

S: Strong smell right after pour, mostly pleasant floral notes without too much sharpness. Smell weakened fairly quickly.

T: Nicely developed hop characteristics that aren't overpowering. The malt isn't particularly sweet, but gives a good robustness to the taste.

F: Good body and carbonation. Smooth for an IPA without being slick or oily.

O: Very nice IIPA. We've never been blown away by St. Arnold's stuff, but this is great. Wish they made more of it.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Finally, I have gotten around to reviewing this beer. I was lucky enough to find a case of this jewel and try it several times on tap. I will be reviewing my final bottle (tear) poured into a snifter.

A: Great looking IIPA. Good clarity with a deep golden amber color. A solid two finger head that leaves substantial lacing all the way down.

S: Very invinting smell. Floral notes with strong grapefruit and a little bit of earthy pine. Awesome bouquet of scents, almost mouth watering.

T: The taste does not let down the anticipation created by the aroma. Great balanced hop blend, grapefruit and floral/pine. A hybrid of an east and west coast IPA styles. Some hints of caramel at finish. Perfectly balanced for my tastes, the malt backbone really mellows the high hop content. This is the most balanced IIPA I have had to date.

M: Medium carbonation. Very refreshing for a IIPA, dry finish. No burn from the the high abv. Very drinkable for a big beer.

O: My favorite IIPA and possibly beer of all time. I am about half way through my final bottle and don't want to think about the fact that this is limited release. Truly a divine experience, you must try it if you get the chance. Bless thee Saint Arnold.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Good clarity; nice light caramel color; good head upon pouring that dissipates to a very nice lacing (that sticks around!)

Smell: Uhm, pretty freaking awesome actually! This beer has an exceptional aroma/smell; pine, citrus, apricot... very hoppy.

Taste: Very good... this beer does not taste like it's ~9%ABV; the alcohol is masked very well; makes it a better beer to drink, IMO. But also a nice balance on malt/hops; the malt-sweetness is there, but it takes the beer warming up a bit to really get to it.

Mouthfeel: IMO, it's perfect; like all excellent DIPA's, it's a little on the lighter side of the spectrum; I think it's spot-on.

Overall: This is just one helluva fantastic beer. 'Nuff said!

4.75/5  rDev +12%

I love this beer! being a hophead, this DIPA meets my needs. I rank Pliny as my favorite beer, and Brock and Company have done an exceptional job at reaching that upper limit.

The appearance is golden/amber. Smell is grassy, piney, peach, big hops. Simcoe is the predominate hop. Not much grapefruit in the smell or taste. The alcohol does not come out at all, little burn, which will makes this too easy to drink.

I would hope to see this as a regular addition to the SA lineup in the new bomber series. maybe a 3-4 times a year release.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Stone Specialty IPA glass.

A: Poured a beautiful golden amber color with 2.5 fingers of fluffy off white head. Excellent retention. Kept close to two fingers head the whole way down leaving copious amounts of STICKY lacing

S: Hardcore pine hops at first sniff, smells fresh! Whenever I smell a second time I can start to pick up the sweet caramel malt in the background along with a faint hint of lemony citrus

T: BOLD! Hops slap your taste buds at first but it is soon over come with the sweet caramel background playing just enough of a part to balance it out. Slight citrus... but a biting hops aftertaste. Delicious to say the least

M: Fantastic. Smooth, creamy, medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. I think that this is what gives it such a great mouthfeel is that this beer isn't forcing the carbonation on you, it is there just enough to let its presence be known. Lets the hops be the lead singer, if you will. Not too syrupy. I cant emphasize the smoothness of this beer enough

O: Divine. Saint Arnolds did a fantastic job with this one. They nailed it. If it were still available I would tell you to go get some... This beer needs to be added in to the rotation, bottom line.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A. That's a very handsome looking beer. Crystal clear copper-coloured with an off-white head that sticks around until the glass is drained and leaves plenty of lace.

S. Hops in abundance, of course. Piney and grassy, almost skunky, but in a good way. The way that hops en masse can sometimes give an impression of.

T. Hops again, naturally, and plenty of them. I know there's malt backing them up but I can hardly taste it. There's a sweetness that I know must be malt-derived but it doesn't taste like malt.

M. This is the only aspect of the beer which I'm finding below par. The body is thinner than I was expecting, but I've had worse.

O. For a hop bomb this is an incredibly refreshing beer. For all its piney, resiny hop character it doesn't give me that slightly queasy feeling I can sometimes get from other imperial IPAs. It's almost lager-like in its ability to quench a thirst. It's definitely worth letting this one warm up to cellar temperature if you want to get the best from it.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Got an early 6 pack at the downtown Whole Foods. Awesome. Saw someone else while walking in that was wearing a St Arnold shirt. Word travels quickly online. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours a very nice and clear light brown. Some orange hues when held up to the light. Forms a large head that settles down... but doesn't have a great bubble density. Still leaves a nice cap and lacing.

The nose is dominated by the hops. Somewhat sticky with hints of pine and a bitter grapefruit pith. Not 100% on the clarity of the hops, but it's a nice blend.

The flavor is clean. The nose and taste of the hops are in concert... maybe a bit less pine. The mouthfeel is thin in a welcome way. No mistaking this for an American barleywine. Carbonation complements it to deliver a smooth hop flavor. Very drinkable for a double. No buildup of the hop flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of the Elissa because of the lack of depth from the Cascades... but this hop combo seems to work. Extremely light and drinkable for a double IPA and I'm not gonna argue. If this was in their lineup, I'd buy it regularly.

EDIT: As I keep drinking this, it keeps getting better. Might need to pick up another 6 pack on the way home tomorrow.
Also drank a Maharaja tonight and the DR killed it. Keep liking this beer more.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This was my first dive the Divine Reserve.

At first glance, this beer has a wonderfully dark amber appearance. The nose offers a bit of citrus.

Taste to me was a classic IIPA with distinct citrus on the backend.

Overall, this is one of the better beers I've tasted this year.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

on tap reviewing from notes blah blah
I was expecting a over hyped typical Divine Reserve brew, this brewery is on my $h!t list for sure....little did i know.

A - poured into a 512 pint glass, Amber orange color transparent, the bartender was able to get 2 fingers of soapy head served at a dismal 32 degrees, I said "hey tina, I once bit a kid to death" she said "why" i said "he served me a dormant slow motion souless beer" we lived happily ever after... as the head recedes can we say STICKY ICKY, Jesus Christ its like the bubbles were afraid of the bottom of the glass. not a lot of rage from the carbonation. So I let out a random scream.

A - An absolute blast and assault on the nose of hops up front with citrus blast, super pine thrust, grapefruit shock and the green power ranger. Sweet sweet caramel malts battling it out with the hops but its like a worm fighting an eagle. citrusy mango comes in and leaves for an awkward moment.

T - sweet malts, less pine thrust but the citrus blast ranger is coming HOT, caramelized sugars are still there but the bitterness just comes over like a hail storm of hop cones, wow saint arnold your beer finally deserves the title, this is divine, i can say this beer is 60/40 on the balance spectrum hops/malt respectively, the finish has a great bitterness unmatched a little heat present.

M - medium body very creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation, expected more but it's not a knock, it still stabs the palate with its bitterness...will give extreme hop breath, i coughed and green flames of God rushed out slaying all in front.

O - if walt kowalski were a beer he would be Divine Reserve 11, if you don't drink DR, then fuck you. The problem i have is this beer should be an annual release, get a clue SA. Godspeed

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not a lot to say about DIPAs that hasn't been said. Instead I give you this:

Clerk at beer store: "We got a case in if you want six. We're also sellin' em by bottles."
Me: "I'll take a bottle...I mean, it's a DIPA. How much better can it really be than other DIPAs."

Freshness is key here, and here we have it, and, take it from me, buy a fuggin' six pack of this. Worth it.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Amber with a deep reddish hue in color and a dense 1/8 inch head with sticky lacing.
S: Spicy pine and sweet malty syrup.
T: Piney, resiny hops, with light pepper on the finish. Clean malt backbone with a crisp, warm, hoppy finish.
M: Low, medium bodied with a dry finish. Medium carbonation.
O: The best double IPA I've ever had from Texas. Please St. Arnold make this a regular rotation.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Trade with gawnphishin. Thanks reed!

A - Beautiful amber honey color. Poured with a huge tan head, super sticky heavy lacing.
S - Spicy fruits. Pineapple and other citrus notes. A bit grassy perhaps. Beautiful fruity smell... tons of odor that I can't really pick out with my uneducated nose. It is DELICIOUS though.
T - Again, tons of fruit. Not quite the taste to back up the smell, but it is still SUPER delicious. Lots of citrus and other mouthwatering fruit. A very light hint of grainy/grassiness. Very very nice, though. Reminds me of hopslam a bit. Alcohol is well hidden.
MF - A nice, mouth-cleansing carbonation. Still quite smooth.
O - Excellent beer, really enjoyed this. Not quite up there with Heady Topper, but it is approaching it. (of course, I had HT on draft...)

This beer also breaks the stigma I have towards twist-offs (American, at least. Canadian beers are an exception). Blah blah blah, yes, it's unreasonable...but the majority of twisties I have had have not been very good. This is quite the opposite.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours an amber in color, with a good one inch head with decent lacing.
Smell is great hops, a good amount of herbs for sure. Malts are there but in the back.
Taste (ice cold) is a subdued earthen profile with a slight bitterness and malty sweetness.
As it warms up the maltiness comes out more, but not in a super sweet fashion. The hops are still nice and herbal.

This is what I would expect a British double IPA to taste like, and it is something that definitely excites me. Not overdoing the sweets makes this rank up in some of the better Double/Imperial IPA's I have had!

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Golden copper with a thin cap of off-white foam. Smattering of lace left on the glass.

S - The perfect DIPA nose in my book. Big notes of citrus and tropical fruits with the tropical coming out on top. Just a hint of sweetness mixes with the fruity aromas. Lots of pineapple, grapefruit and a hint of lemon zest.

T - Surprising caramel sweetness initially quickly overcome by a resinous citrus fruit bitterness. Lots of grapefruit and even a hint of tangerine. Biting bitterness throughout the drink.

M - Medium bodied and rather sticky. Alcohol is asked very well and I feel it really hits the DIPA standard well.

O - An excellent DIPA. Worth $16 a sixer? Probably not. But I enjoy DIPA's wherever I can get them and coming from a Texas brewery is great.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours near amber with an abundant beige head. Obviously hop-forward aroma, but the malt is plenty assertive enough to make a show of it.

Flavor begins with a maltiness that bears a similarity to sultanas, but a spicy hop presence quickly takes over. Hop bitterness is balancing but not unpleasant, nor does it block out any other flavors. Finishes with a slight hop bite. Full bodied.

Overall, a great sipping beer if you can put the glass down.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to cfh64 for including this (and many other awesome beers) as an extra in our trade.

Bottled on date: 03/18/2011
Drank on date: 05/13/2011

A: Burnt orange. Crystal clear. Off-white head that doesn't last very long, but does leave some lacing.

S: Fresh, ripe tropical & citrus fruits.

T: This is one of the better DIPA's I have ever had. There is a plethora of hop flavor without any real bitterness. The malt flavor that is present plays a perfect supporting role. It knows to stay out of the way and let the citrus/mango/apricot flavors shine.

M: Perfect for a DIPA. The finish is dry and refreshing.

O: I have never even heard of Saint Arnold before receiving this in trade. This is an AWESOME beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Whip In in Austin for $3.99. Poured into a small snifter.

Appearance (4.5): A perfectly clear, dark orange / copper pours with about two fingers of off-white head. Lacing completely coats the top of the glass when the head dies to a very thin layer with a patch. The lacing isn't as thick further, down but there are some additional patches.

Aroma (5): The first sniff is of intense citrus flavors; very Hopslam-esque with the strong passionfruit scent. Pineapple, grapefruit, and passionfruit dominate the nose. A bit of sweet, light crystal complements the sweet juicy, fruity aromas.

Taste (4.5): Not as impressive as the nose and a bit boozy at first. The caramel is more forward, that comes first with a bit of sweetness and ethanol, followed by the passionfruit profile of the nose. A floral citrus comes through in the middle and remains through the finish. The caramel comes through just a bit here as well to provide some backbone, but it's mostly an afterthought. There is a moderate bitterness that starts at the beginning but really picks up in the finish. It is well balanced with the slight sweetness. The finish is very floral and borderline perfumish with a very strong, lingering grapefruit / passionfruit.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Although there is a slight residual sweetness, it is still a bit thin, especially at the beginning. It is a bit fuller in the finish, with the big, floral, lingering notes. The body is medium and the carbonation is medium. It is particularly oily and floral, particularly in the finish.

Overall (4.5): This is a great DIPA. I didn't know what to expect, as the Elyssa was very meh for me, but this one knocks it out of the park. It has a bit of sweetness, but just enough to balance the medium high bitterness. The floral, fruity notes are outstanding and linger seemingly forever. This one really sticks with you.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

So I'm in El Paso, TX for work. Not exactly a beer haven for people with insatiable cravings for microbrewed local beer. Sure enough, I stumble upon a tapas bar that has this IPA.

Bartender poured it into a pint glass, which didn't bother me or inhibit what was to come next. A white, light head - with a bit of retention.

From the bottle to the glass, pours a darker yellow/light amber color. Nothing special to note, yet. A few bubbles here & there.

The aroma, my god, the aroma. It sends your head back a second, a hoppy punch-wallop that makes me don a hundred-yard smile. The smell of this double IPA is absolutely outstanding. Hops, hops, hops with a touch of lemony orange zest. Guaranteed to make you smile.

The taste does not disappoint. Up front it's a bit sweet. The aftertaste is a bitter orchestra of perfection. Malt characters stay present throughout, but its a mix of sour tropical fruits that dominate. I frickin love this beer.

Mouthfeel is light-to-medium bodied, with a snappy, crisp carbonation to it. Coats the tongue and stays there for awhile. Lingers along for a hot minute. Everything an IPA should be, in my humble opinion. Slightly sticky, yet perfect.

I would pay ridiculous amounts of cash for this in WI. Bless your soul TX, you are a lucky, large, glorious state. It's almost making my time in El Paso actually worthwhile ;)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a St. Feuillien goblet. Pours a clear, deep golden with orange tinges, with a big white head that drops rather quickly. Some thin lacing evident.

Aromas of huge grapefruit, tangerine hops, a hint of sweet caramel malt in the background.

Flavors of big citrusy hops, grapefruit and tangerine. Bitterness isn't harsh or overpowering. Some malt to provide a little balance, but this is still big on the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a mouthcoating hop bitterness that pulls slightly at the cheeks.

Overall, a very nice DIPA, not too aggressive or harsh.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice to see Saint Arnolds make a double, was excited to get my hand on a few six packs this morning.

Appearance-Copper with some hints of orange, one finger head, not getting a whole lot of lacing(2nd time around lacing stuck around longer)

Smell-At first I didn't know what I was getting, confused. Then going back you start to get the Citrusy lemon, then you pick up the pine, very complex aroma, ALOT going on, love it.

Taste-Second time trying this beer and you get alot of pine and bitter hops. Some notes of lemon are also appearing. A bitter, piney finish. Could use a little more citrus in my opinion.

EDIT: Drinking one every other night the taste is really growing on me. Citrus has been coming through. Extremely well balanced. I'm making taste a 4.5 and overall a 4.5 and will end this review soon.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A real warming feeling even though the alcohol is hard to detect.

Overall-I'm a fan, great beer. Kind of sad that this beer comes and goes in a couple days and then possibly no more of it. I have some DIPAs in the fridge right now and going to do a tasting with the DR11, West Coast Imperial IPA, and the Maharaja.(possibly a older Squall just for shits and giggles). Good job St Arnolds. Don't stop here.

Note(5/9/11)-I just drank my final DR11 from 2011. This beer seems to get better and better every time I drink it. This beer needs to be in their lineup.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company