Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 03-29-2011

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

Hot off the presses and all the rage in Texas right now. If you can't get a sixpack, they've got it on tap at the Draught House in Austin!

A - looks in this case are unassuming: light brown in color, little head, clear - very hard to tell what it is from the glass (aside from the fact it's served in a 3/4 size due to its imperial power)

S - big citrus hops nose on this (duh), but also something else; maybe a bit of a sour mash/bready malt? Really hard to place. Leather?

T - very interesting flavor with the huge hops profile quickly making way for a strong bready malt to balance it out, but almost giving it an infused tea quality. Add in a bit of alcohol warming at the end, along with a significant reduction in the power of the hops and it finishes very uniquely with an amalgam of tea leaves and sweet/bitter going on and on.

M - almost no carbonation and also a bit oily. Definitely coats the mouth and keeps going for a while.

D - this is definitely a sipper; i wouldn't want to chug one of these.

Good beer; I've had some interesting experiences with Imperial IPAs lately (Maharaja batch 13, Green Flash) and this is one of the best.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - A deep amber orange with a two finger head. Head slowly dissapates into a solid film throughout. Nice lacing

S - Initial smell is great, with notes of pine/peach/citrus. The only dissapointment was that the smell faded fairly fast.

T - Very nice balance between the spicy, bitter hops and the malt sweetness. This is a winner.

M - Slightly sticky with just right carbonation.

Overall, a very nice DIPA from Texas' oldest craft brewer. I truly wish they would add this to their regular lineup ( at a lower price!) I would then be a regular SA customer. Well done!

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A pint at Billy's on Burnet.

Clear amber with fair head retention and loads of lace. C-hop aroma: pineapples and grapefruit. Flavor is typical of a well done West Coast DIPA. There is some alcohol and the sugar is evident, but, lots of citrus bitterness balances nicely with the sweetness. Best part is the mouthfeel. Medium body and carbonation leans toward the soft side.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Was happy to score two sixers of this...now down to one six.

Ahh, that peachy aroma really invites you into this. The color is a sunset red, nice white foam on top. Flavors of pine, honey, grapefruit and peach. Has a desiccant effect on the palate, very drying and bitter. Better in a snifter than a pint glass. Very good example of a double IPA.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Amber with a deep reddish hue in color and a dense 1/8 inch head with sticky lacing.
S: Spicy pine and sweet malty syrup.
T: Piney, resiny hops, with light pepper on the finish. Clean malt backbone with a crisp, warm, hoppy finish.
M: Low, medium bodied with a dry finish. Medium carbonation.
O: The best double IPA I've ever had from Texas. Please St. Arnold make this a regular rotation.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

So we were lucky enough to snag one of the last six-packs in Houston - if you weren't in line an hour before the doors opened at some places, you didn't get one. We really enjoyed this beer!

A: Clear, amber in color. Poured a nice one finger head that lasted a long time.

S: Strong smell right after pour, mostly pleasant floral notes without too much sharpness. Smell weakened fairly quickly.

T: Nicely developed hop characteristics that aren't overpowering. The malt isn't particularly sweet, but gives a good robustness to the taste.

F: Good body and carbonation. Smooth for an IPA without being slick or oily.

O: Very nice IIPA. We've never been blown away by St. Arnold's stuff, but this is great. Wish they made more of it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Stone Specialty IPA glass.

A: Poured a beautiful golden amber color with 2.5 fingers of fluffy off white head. Excellent retention. Kept close to two fingers head the whole way down leaving copious amounts of STICKY lacing

S: Hardcore pine hops at first sniff, smells fresh! Whenever I smell a second time I can start to pick up the sweet caramel malt in the background along with a faint hint of lemony citrus

T: BOLD! Hops slap your taste buds at first but it is soon over come with the sweet caramel background playing just enough of a part to balance it out. Slight citrus... but a biting hops aftertaste. Delicious to say the least

M: Fantastic. Smooth, creamy, medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. I think that this is what gives it such a great mouthfeel is that this beer isn't forcing the carbonation on you, it is there just enough to let its presence be known. Lets the hops be the lead singer, if you will. Not too syrupy. I cant emphasize the smoothness of this beer enough

O: Divine. Saint Arnolds did a fantastic job with this one. They nailed it. If it were still available I would tell you to go get some... This beer needs to be added in to the rotation, bottom line.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

I lucked out and got the last bottle from Central Market. The first guy said they were out but the second guy I talked to said that he put one to the side (lucky me). So I poured a 12 oz bottle into my tulip glass...

The color of the beer was copper with a two finger off-white head that sunk in, leaving a filmy layer and lacing on the glass. The smell is all hops, the aromas consist of peach, lime, pine and just a hint of vanilla. I first tasted bitter pine, then sweet malt and lots of fruity hops. I noticed flavors of peach and cream with a bitter grapefruit finish. The beer is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a dry finish. I thought the Divine Reserve was one of the best Texas beers that I've had. Can't wait until next year.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

I have been in Texas for 8 months now and this is the first Divine Reserve I've managed to get my hands on. St Arnold beers in general are not bad but nothing so far is overly impressive. This beer is the best I've had from them. This double IPA pours nicely, has a nice amber color and is not just all hops. It has a taste that stays around your mouth so you can fully enjoy it. I hope St Arnold will produce this beer again.

Good GOD this beer is perfect. I've been a slave to the hype of some of the DR series in the past (even though they've all been good) but this beer is on a whole other level.

A: The appearance is stunning: bronze with a creamy, delicious head. Brilliant! Kind of like this... except more brilliant because it's not Guinness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

S: Oh man. You can catch all the hop goodness with some subtle peach as well. What a combo. Yum.

T: See smell. Hoppy and sweet and oh so drinkable. I wonder if my drinking them fast has anything to do with the high rating of this review? Hmm...

M: Good carbonation. Don't trust the MANIPULATION about the CAUSATION of the STIPULATION of St. Arnie. This beer is the MANIFESTATION of SALVATION in this beautiful glass in BREW NATION (America).

O: This beer is amazing. If you disagree, your mother's a whore.

(I am going to regret this later... wait, no I won't, I'm drinking Divine Reserve #11)

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Wont spend to much time reviewing here but this is clearly one of the best beers ST. A's has put out to date. Only one problem...its one of the Divine Reserve series! which basically means it was a total pain in the you know what to find even a six pack and I will never be able to buy it again. St. A's should really consider making this a new addition to the lineup. The Elissa IPA is very, very, average and they need to become more of a player in the IPA world.

Overall very good DIPA if you were able to find it!

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Clear golden amber with a three finger fluffy head. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Equal blend of pine and citrus predominate with a little aroma of maltiness in the background.

Taste: Citrus and pine are relatively equal; it's a very nicely balanced DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a nice smooth finish.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Not a lot of DIPAs brewed in Texas and I think st. arnold did a good job on this one.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not a lot to say about DIPAs that hasn't been said. Instead I give you this:

Clerk at beer store: "We got a case in if you want six. We're also sellin' em by bottles."
Me: "I'll take a bottle...I mean, it's a DIPA. How much better can it really be than other DIPAs."

Freshness is key here, and here we have it, and, take it from me, buy a fuggin' six pack of this. Worth it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours near amber with an abundant beige head. Obviously hop-forward aroma, but the malt is plenty assertive enough to make a show of it.

Flavor begins with a maltiness that bears a similarity to sultanas, but a spicy hop presence quickly takes over. Hop bitterness is balancing but not unpleasant, nor does it block out any other flavors. Finishes with a slight hop bite. Full bodied.

Overall, a great sipping beer if you can put the glass down.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

I have been a long time hater when it comes to Saint Arnolds. They have never done anything that I thought was "bad", just overall unimpressive beers. This is the best thing I have ever had from them, and I really hope its a year round release.

Poured into my dfh snifter, pours a dark amber color, nice pine scent immediately comes out of the bottle. frothy foam fills the top of my glass, then recedes a bit. Nice head retention for about 10 minutes. Decent lacing on the glass. Smell- pine, citrus, grapefruit. Taste- biting hops up front, piney resin, followed by a caramel malt flavor, with a biting hops finish. Mouthfeel- clean, not too syrupy, nice carbonation. Drinkablity- well, St. Arnolds, you finally made a beer I like. Well done.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours a globe of swampy orange with some brown and ruby highlights. About a finger of head that melting whipped cream. Spiderweb lacing coating the sides.

S- A whole lot of pine. Some marshmallow, unripe pineapple, mint, freshly cut grass. A lot of hops that offer a lot of different flavors. A little bit of a mishmash.

T- The hops are there with more of the unripe fruit, dried pineapple, coconut(?). There's some brown sugar or sweet raisin bread maltiness. More balance to the flavor.

M- The hops are grippingly bitter on this one- both on the sides and back of the mouth. It matches the smell but maybe not the strength of the taste. I do get somewhat used to it though by half way through.

O- A whole lot of hops. If you're a hophead this fits the bill. I'm enjoying the smell quite a bit, the taste a little less, and the mouthfeel a little less. But still overall a delicious and strong beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I have had a few recent disappointments with Texas breweries in general lately. And, in general, I've had less than satisfactory experiences with hyped IIPA releases over the past couple of years. But this beer was a very pleasant surprise.

Appearance is flawless. Great Clarity. The carbonation isn't high but it does maintain a slow release, feeding a nice sticky ring. Color is a soft amber.

Smell is excellent. This is the best aroma I have had from a IIPA in months - a blast of spice and yellow fruits - pineapple, mango apricot. This bouquet is bit bigger than Bell's Hopslam, but it is a reasonable comparison.

Flavor is of a big West-coast to Colorado style IIPA - fruity, bitter, with a light malty sweetness that is in no way cloying.

Mouthfeel is rich and supple - smooth, medium bodied.

Overall this beer is a winner. I think they nailed this thing. I'm sure that the folks at St Arnold's had no reservations about using the adjective "divine" on this beer.

I hated spending $18 on one six-pack, particularly since it is a style that I couldn't throw into the cellar hoping for improvement-with-age. But now I am wishing that would have kept the sixer that I bough for my neighbor. I have seen mixed reviews based on serving type. I hope to try a cask and standard keg soon.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle pours a clear, light copper color with a tall, light tan head. Fades slow and leaves lots of sticky lace. Very nice looking beer.

Nose is a very nice blend of hop aromas. Tropical and minty with a bit of alcohol backdrop. Malts are pretty light, as the appearance would suggest, lending a biscuity aspect.

This one is all about the hop flavors. Bitterness builds from low to high and the lighter, grainier malt backbone lets the multitude of tropical hop flavors to come forth. ABV is hidden well and the body is nice and creamy. I think this is the best beer Saint Arnold has ever made. I actually think it could at least hang with some of the better Cali IPAs/IIPAs.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Had a not so nice experience with the cask version of this beer at a tapping night. Since there are so many positives to my negative I thought it only fair to review a bottle.

The appearance is fantastic. Clear straight on through and the color of pumpkin and copper. The tan head is firm yet fluffy and laces the glass as it fades. Coulmns of bubbles slice through and feed what's left of the cap.

The nose is like walking through a hop garden. An earthy pine mixed with that fresh citrus that gets every hop head horny. There is a slight sweet malt in the background but it's dominated by the musty little green cones.

The taste is much better then the cask. A hop bomb that slows down from the nose to not be completely dominated by that hop flavor. It's initially a sweet honey and citrus but is balanced by a malty background. As the finish approaches, flavors move towards a resiny pine and then loads of bittereness.

The mouthfeel is very thin for a double IPA. While the taste is mostly balanced leaning towards the hop the feel of this beer is very one sided. The acidity and light body control this from lips to throat. It's by no means a deal breaker or a drain pour but it is a little harsh on the mouth and distracts from the pleasant flavors. This beer is great in the bottle and delivers in nose and flavor that the cask was desperately missing. The feel of it almost loses me but it is a fine addition to the divine series and worth seeking out.

4.41/5  rDev +4%

I just bought this new brew and have to say that this is an entirely new quality of beer for this brewery.

A - light copper, super clear - thanks to their filtration of the dry hopping process.

S - Just exciting for a DIPA - crisp, piney yet citrus - rich, hoppy smell, fragranted with fresh hop oils!

T - Wonderful - sweet, malty at first with a steady build-up of rich, hoppy, citrus - (grapefruit, piney, peachy) climax, with a well-balanced bitter, clean finish.

M - moderate, nicely carbonated, medium, complex mouth feel.

Exceptional beer for this class, the experience from appearance to mouthfeel is spectacular and at another level for this brewery!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice to see Saint Arnolds make a double, was excited to get my hand on a few six packs this morning.

Appearance-Copper with some hints of orange, one finger head, not getting a whole lot of lacing(2nd time around lacing stuck around longer)

Smell-At first I didn't know what I was getting, confused. Then going back you start to get the Citrusy lemon, then you pick up the pine, very complex aroma, ALOT going on, love it.

Taste-Second time trying this beer and you get alot of pine and bitter hops. Some notes of lemon are also appearing. A bitter, piney finish. Could use a little more citrus in my opinion.

EDIT: Drinking one every other night the taste is really growing on me. Citrus has been coming through. Extremely well balanced. I'm making taste a 4.5 and overall a 4.5 and will end this review soon.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A real warming feeling even though the alcohol is hard to detect.

Overall-I'm a fan, great beer. Kind of sad that this beer comes and goes in a couple days and then possibly no more of it. I have some DIPAs in the fridge right now and going to do a tasting with the DR11, West Coast Imperial IPA, and the Maharaja.(possibly a older Squall just for shits and giggles). Good job St Arnolds. Don't stop here.

Note(5/9/11)-I just drank my final DR11 from 2011. This beer seems to get better and better every time I drink it. This beer needs to be in their lineup.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Peepers see burnt orange, no head. Schnoz smells piny fruit. Taster says abv burn, sweet malt, thinner mouthfeel, shit-ton of hops and bitter (it's a trillion hopped). An almost super excellent beer. You're almost there, SA. I still love ya, but the secret handshake and password to get this stuff is pretty much dumb.

3.81/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a tulip glass transparent burnt orange with a very thick head. Great lacing and head retention all the way down the glass.

My weakness is my nose, that being said this must not be a strong scented beer. I'm not getting much of anything other than some hops. The taste is has a strong hop presence as expected with some citrus grapefruit flavors added in there. There's a nice malted sweetness that doesn't quite balance out the bitterness, but it's really not supposed to. It compliments the hops pretty well. I would like more of a "hop bomb", but I have to say that all the flavors are very well put together.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated for an IIPA, and not a terribly noticable alcohol burn.

Over all? It's a nice IIPA. It's slightly better than good, but not great either.

Over All as a Divine Reserve? It's an absolute Air Ball!!! This seems to me to be a DR that they kind of threw together. It's almost like the SA team has spent too much time developing other off the wall stuff, like the Moveable Yeast Series, that they kind of realized that they needed to come up with a new DR and threw something together.

This is a IIPA that Saint Arnold should make a regular or seasonal . . . But this by no means is Divine.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This was my first dive the Divine Reserve.

At first glance, this beer has a wonderfully dark amber appearance. The nose offers a bit of citrus.

Taste to me was a classic IIPA with distinct citrus on the backend.

Overall, this is one of the better beers I've tasted this year.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

Fresh, 12oz bottle into my Midnight Sun Cervoise.

A - Pours a crystal clear amber. Nice fluffy white head. Lacing was a little slick and wasn't overly clingy

S - Nice herbal smell, very grassy. Only a minor citrus component (mainly lemon)

T - Very hoppy, as expected. Full grass and pine hops. The citric side of the bitterness was a minor component, some grapefruit and lemon. I pick up some pepper in the back. This thing is all hops, could barely pick up any malt.

M - Biting carbonation, semi thin. Alcohol heat was noticeable.

O - This beer reminds me of Hop Stoopid. A hop bomb that is fairly unbalanced. It would have been nice to see a better malt profile typically found in higher end DIPAs. I hate to say this but I might sit on a bottle for 6 months or so to see if any malts will come out and the alcohol heat will simmer a bit. A good showing from SA, which is the norm with the DR series.

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company