Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 03-29-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
3.23/5  rDev -24%

I wasn't looking for this beer, but it found me. The elusive divine reserve series. I had pretty much given up on it when it jumped to $15+ a six-pack and was hard to find to boot...about #6. Since I just happened to be at the right place at the right time today, I have some to sample. Brock can brew a pretty good hoppy beer, so let's see what this one has to offer:

Appearance: Pours a very clear amber color with about 1/2" of tan bubbles on top after an aggressive pour. There are some bubbles rising, but the head is on its way somewhere within the first 30 seconds. The beer leaves some solid lacing on the glass after drinking, so it is a very well presented DIPA.

Aroma: The aroma is hops upon hops with a bit of hops thrown in for good measure. Though the hops are stupid strong and bordering on oily, they are quite citrusy and well blended. There is one rather dominant hop, like Amarillo or some such. Plenty of orange citrus with some peachy elements in there too. As the beer is starting to warm up some, there is a tad of toasty malt coming out and the alcohol is starting to spice things up. Somewhat one-dimensional.

Taste: The beer is medium-light bodied somehow, which surprised me. The flavor is also absolutely dominated by the hops the entire way through to the finish, which is dry and a bit harsh on the back of the palate to linger for what seems like forever, but just when you think that your throat is scarred for life, the alcohol sets in just kindof cooks the whole thing in. I know that there is malt in here as the ABV wouldn't be almost 9% if it wasn't...but this is a bit ridiculous. I must say that this is the most carbonated of any of the DR series that I have tried, so I guess that they have got control of that now...which is a good thing and really helps this beer or the mouthfeel would be almost unbearable.

Opinion: I don't know what to say. This beer has a good nose and you know it is going to be a hoppy monster, but I would think that they would ease up on the IBUs and let you actually taste the beer. I don't know how this beer is going to age. I will cellar some anyway, but I just don't see it softening up. In short, I would say that this beer is probably the most "ready to drink" of any new releases of the DR that I have tried, but their recipe was too ambitious on the hop schedule and the attenuation percent of the yeast. There is nothing left to back up the monster hop profile.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 30, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Good clarity; nice light caramel color; good head upon pouring that dissipates to a very nice lacing (that sticks around!)

Smell: Uhm, pretty freaking awesome actually! This beer has an exceptional aroma/smell; pine, citrus, apricot... very hoppy.

Taste: Very good... this beer does not taste like it's ~9%ABV; the alcohol is masked very well; makes it a better beer to drink, IMO. But also a nice balance on malt/hops; the malt-sweetness is there, but it takes the beer warming up a bit to really get to it.

Mouthfeel: IMO, it's perfect; like all excellent DIPA's, it's a little on the lighter side of the spectrum; I think it's spot-on.

Overall: This is just one helluva fantastic beer. 'Nuff said!

GregMcQ, Mar 29, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

I love this beer! being a hophead, this DIPA meets my needs. I rank Pliny as my favorite beer, and Brock and Company have done an exceptional job at reaching that upper limit.

The appearance is golden/amber. Smell is grassy, piney, peach, big hops. Simcoe is the predominate hop. Not much grapefruit in the smell or taste. The alcohol does not come out at all, little burn, which will makes this too easy to drink.

I would hope to see this as a regular addition to the SA lineup in the new bomber series. maybe a 3-4 times a year release.

DocBrass, Mar 29, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A. That's a very handsome looking beer. Crystal clear copper-coloured with an off-white head that sticks around until the glass is drained and leaves plenty of lace.

S. Hops in abundance, of course. Piney and grassy, almost skunky, but in a good way. The way that hops en masse can sometimes give an impression of.

T. Hops again, naturally, and plenty of them. I know there's malt backing them up but I can hardly taste it. There's a sweetness that I know must be malt-derived but it doesn't taste like malt.

M. This is the only aspect of the beer which I'm finding below par. The body is thinner than I was expecting, but I've had worse.

O. For a hop bomb this is an incredibly refreshing beer. For all its piney, resiny hop character it doesn't give me that slightly queasy feeling I can sometimes get from other imperial IPAs. It's almost lager-like in its ability to quench a thirst. It's definitely worth letting this one warm up to cellar temperature if you want to get the best from it.

omnigrits, Mar 29, 2011

Hot dam Saint Arnolds made an amazing beer on this DR11. Tons of citrus notes up front, color is very similar to Surly Abrasive. Hop bomb and the alcohol is very well masked. I love this beer and will enjoy every drop of the other bottles I purchased. Thank you Saint Arnold's!!! I think I love you.

joshuacavett, Mar 29, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Had a tap pour into pint glass at the dig pub

Appearance: pours deep golden with little head or lace.

Aroma: piney hops dominate, what more could you ask for in a dipa?

Taste: a little mixture of hops and glory, this rivals the best dipa's I've had

Mouthfeel: carbonated great, nice sweet malt backbone to keep up with the 75 ish Ibu

Overall: excellent, on par with any dipa out there. Too bad this is a dr series and not a seasonal/year round beer.

chriswilkes33, Mar 29, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Excellent carbonation with nice foam stand & lacing along sides of a fluted Export Lager glass. Bright cooper orange with exceptional clairity.

Smell of citurs & grapefruit. more towards flavor & aroma side. restrained maltiness with slight biscut, breadiness.

Taste all hops as they overwhelm malts, per style but base malt could be bigger.

Quite attenuated, clean but body only medium at best, seems thin.

Overall good IPA Simco hops shine, well executed just needs bigger body to balance.

2late2brew, Mar 29, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up last night during CM pre-sale, chilled an extra hour once home.
Split first bottle with my fiance so had to use the Saint Arnold stanges which was nice for the aroma -- tulip glass next tasting though!

Appearance - Nice head that settled fairly quickly, mild lacing. Lovely orange to amber color, quite clear -- according to Saint Arnold, it's the first Divine Reserve to be filtered due to the large amounts of Simcoe/ hops used to create hop "brightness".

Aroma - the stange held much of the volatiles from the hops, with some slight citrus/peachy note but mostly a resiny/piny characteristic.

Taste - Nice balance, the Columbus hops definitely contribute to the long-lasting bitterness to DR11. Not quite up to the caliber/hop profile of (512) Brewing TWO Double IPA, but definitely a must for hopheads.

Mouthfeel - As others have noted, the body was lighter than I would expect or prefer. Definitely not in the medium body range. No pronounced astringency, well-balanced hops.

Overall - I enjoy DR11 a bit more than the Elissa IPA, and would be able to drink more as a "session" beer. Pleased that I was able to enjoy some DR11.

snax, Mar 29, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought at 8:15am at Kroger, chilled for 30 minutes .. . Pours a deep golden amber, head is very good- and the lacing is even better .. . Aroma is quite something- spruce, resin, sap, fresh squeezed hop juice, and honey hop nuggets .. . very clean and slick on the tongue, this could get you in trouble with how easy and enjoyable this is to drink! .. . perfect dose of bitterness to go with the sweet resiny hoppiness and hop oil that coats the tongue .. . this is a delicious beer, and is easily the best Divine Reserve on release .. . Cheers to Saint Arnolds ... .. Say, Dave, maybe after work you'd like to go by the zoo and shoot goats..

Onslow, Mar 29, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

bottle from Specs in Round Rock... poured into my new harpoon glass from Black Star Coop... thanks guys!
Pours with a mild 1/4 inch of head which leaves an oily lace around th glass... smell is not as powerful as I was hoping, considering I could actually smell the hops through the cap, or rather smell the residuals on the cap from bottling most likey. Either way, it is a nice blend of citrus and pine with a slight brown sugar sweetness.
initial taste, all I got was let down. It was watery tasting to be honest. The more I sip it, though the more the hop profile comes out. Pine hop is the more dominant force in the hop battle which leaves a piney aftertaste that lingers for a while.
It does seem a bit watery and thin, which strikes me as odd for the amount of hops in this. overall, not too bad, think I am good with the amount I got though. Reminds me a lot of the port mongo, but a wee bit better.
Edit: I am increasing my review on this... it does get better as it warms...

crusian, Mar 29, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Got an early 6 pack at the downtown Whole Foods. Awesome. Saw someone else while walking in that was wearing a St Arnold shirt. Word travels quickly online. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours a very nice and clear light brown. Some orange hues when held up to the light. Forms a large head that settles down... but doesn't have a great bubble density. Still leaves a nice cap and lacing.

The nose is dominated by the hops. Somewhat sticky with hints of pine and a bitter grapefruit pith. Not 100% on the clarity of the hops, but it's a nice blend.

The flavor is clean. The nose and taste of the hops are in concert... maybe a bit less pine. The mouthfeel is thin in a welcome way. No mistaking this for an American barleywine. Carbonation complements it to deliver a smooth hop flavor. Very drinkable for a double. No buildup of the hop flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of the Elissa because of the lack of depth from the Cascades... but this hop combo seems to work. Extremely light and drinkable for a double IPA and I'm not gonna argue. If this was in their lineup, I'd buy it regularly.

EDIT: As I keep drinking this, it keeps getting better. Might need to pick up another 6 pack on the way home tomorrow.
Also drank a Maharaja tonight and the DR killed it. Keep liking this beer more.

UTCengOwl, Mar 29, 2011