Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #11

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 03-29-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

12oz bottle into a Ranger Creek tulip.

The long-awaited, oft-debated Divine Reserve #11 from Saint Arnold pours nicely with a hefty cap of custard foam that quickly recedes to a thin veil of soapy bubbles. The body is a fiery, burnt-orange hue that turns copper when held to the light. Aromatically impressive, as the hops are out in full force to deliver an intoxicating blend of pine, citrus, and tropical fruit. Sweet caramel & pale malts provide a solid backbone.

The flavor of DR11 start off with a crisp pale maltiness and sting of carbonation on the front of the tongue before rapidly shifting gears to pine resin and tropical fruit flavors mid-sip. The back of the palate gets sloshed with hop bitterness and a breathy alcohol bite that pulls back just enough to keep this IIPA from getting overly aggressive. Mouthfeel is solid--carbonation level is a bit prickly and the bubbles are massive, but the medium body goes down easily. Overall, a most impressive release from Saint Arnold, as #11 has more than made up for the latest 'miss' in the Divine Reserve series. Hop heads will rejoice!

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

On cask at Anvil in Houston.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy copper orange color. A two finger creamy beige head forms with excellent retention. The rocky cap of foam sticks all the way down the pint glass. Rings of sticky lace is left all the way down the glass as well. It is hard to find a more enjoyable looking beer.
S: The nose is very Fragrant. Up front is some pine, resin and citrus hops. The resiny aroma is not over done, and not overly bitter either. A perfume like pine needle aroma. Very nice.
T: Resiny hops up front that I got in the nose. Lightly soapy. The syrupy resin and soap fades quickly to a very clean hop flavor. Citrus, fresh pine needles, a light bitterness. Some other nondescript fruity flavors (maybe pineapple) as well. Some sweetness lingers for balance. Again, very nice.
M/D: This is the best part for me. A medium to full body. Creamy and smooth. For as much resiny pine that I detected, this is really crisp and clean. Very dry as well. Near perfect in the mouth. So easy to drink. The alcohol is not noticeable at all, and this is just a treat to drink.

On cask this is just amazing. This is far from my favorite style, but Saint Arnold did it right. There is a huge hop presents but the over barring bitterness and harshness that I get in many examples is not here. I could not get enough of this on cask, highly recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a light amber with a nice white head that slowly fades to a small layer and leaves a lot of sticky lacing on the glass. The head stays with the beer the entire time I was drinking it.

S: The nose is full of tropical fruits and grapefruit & earthy style hops.

T: The taste is a huge bitterness with lots of grapefruit and sweet malt during the first sip. After the first few sips I can pick out some tropical fruits. This sucker is one bitter hop monster.

M: The feel is thick and chewy with a great amount of carbonation.

O: Hoppy, sweet, and oh so tasty. Definitely one of the more hoppy beers I've had that was brewed in TX. Now to get them to brew this year round or at least as a seasonal.

Edit: This review was right after the release. Since then the beer has turned into a nicely balanced DIPA on the same level as Gubna or some Alpine IPAs. 4/25/2011

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

The appearance is crisp and clean. A light golden brown with a soft white head, though not much head. Very nice.

The smell is very good. It has more of a flowers-meets-earthy smell to it. A dash of fruity.

The taste is what got me. I really expected more. The bitterness was lacking. I expected way more of a bite. It was actually quite mellow. It wasn't bad by any means, but I really thought it would be very good instead of "just good."

The mouthfeel is standard. Just like the appearance it was crisp and clean. Very refreshing.

Overall I would say its a solid 4.0. I would say its not a top 3 Imperial IPA, but its a good one. It didn't live up to the hype, but its nice to see SA making an IIPA.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours an amber in color, with a good one inch head with decent lacing.
Smell is great hops, a good amount of herbs for sure. Malts are there but in the back.
Taste (ice cold) is a subdued earthen profile with a slight bitterness and malty sweetness.
As it warms up the maltiness comes out more, but not in a super sweet fashion. The hops are still nice and herbal.

This is what I would expect a British double IPA to taste like, and it is something that definitely excites me. Not overdoing the sweets makes this rank up in some of the better Double/Imperial IPA's I have had!

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

The beer pours an orange-copper color with a small off-white head.

The aroma is heavy on the papaya, with a little bit of resiny pine, pineapple and bready malt mixed in. A very nice, fresh smelling aroma.

The flavor is also very nice. I get a lot of tropical fruit - mainly apricots and papaya - as well as some resiny pine. There is a touch of bready malt and the bitterness is about medium for the style. There is also a nice bit of alcohol warming. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Overall, one of the better Divine Reserve beers I have tried. This is right up there with No. 6 as my favorites. I think this one is going to be best drank fresh so I won't be sitting on any of these.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: orangish amber. quickly dissipating head but good lacing.

S: smells great. potent pine smell with a hint of sweet citrus and a little peachy.

T: quite bitter up front and again on the back side. this is a relief since elissa really lacks any hop bitterness. abundant sweet citrusy malt profile that balances this beer VERY well. the hop flavor is really tasty in this beer. i love the oily, resiny taste. i hope this doesnt fade too quickly in the next couple of months.

M: just a little thinner than i would prefer for the style, but not to a point that it really detracts from the beer. some definite stickiness which is welcomed.

Overall: i would not rate this beer an equal to PtE, Pure Hopiness, or Hopslam, but its damned tasty and i think its better than some other notable IIPAs like maharaja, 90min, ruination, hercules.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

I wasn't looking for this beer, but it found me. The elusive divine reserve series. I had pretty much given up on it when it jumped to $15+ a six-pack and was hard to find to boot...about #6. Since I just happened to be at the right place at the right time today, I have some to sample. Brock can brew a pretty good hoppy beer, so let's see what this one has to offer:

Appearance: Pours a very clear amber color with about 1/2" of tan bubbles on top after an aggressive pour. There are some bubbles rising, but the head is on its way somewhere within the first 30 seconds. The beer leaves some solid lacing on the glass after drinking, so it is a very well presented DIPA.

Aroma: The aroma is hops upon hops with a bit of hops thrown in for good measure. Though the hops are stupid strong and bordering on oily, they are quite citrusy and well blended. There is one rather dominant hop, like Amarillo or some such. Plenty of orange citrus with some peachy elements in there too. As the beer is starting to warm up some, there is a tad of toasty malt coming out and the alcohol is starting to spice things up. Somewhat one-dimensional.

Taste: The beer is medium-light bodied somehow, which surprised me. The flavor is also absolutely dominated by the hops the entire way through to the finish, which is dry and a bit harsh on the back of the palate to linger for what seems like forever, but just when you think that your throat is scarred for life, the alcohol sets in just kindof cooks the whole thing in. I know that there is malt in here as the ABV wouldn't be almost 9% if it wasn't...but this is a bit ridiculous. I must say that this is the most carbonated of any of the DR series that I have tried, so I guess that they have got control of that now...which is a good thing and really helps this beer or the mouthfeel would be almost unbearable.

Opinion: I don't know what to say. This beer has a good nose and you know it is going to be a hoppy monster, but I would think that they would ease up on the IBUs and let you actually taste the beer. I don't know how this beer is going to age. I will cellar some anyway, but I just don't see it softening up. In short, I would say that this beer is probably the most "ready to drink" of any new releases of the DR that I have tried, but their recipe was too ambitious on the hop schedule and the attenuation percent of the yeast. There is nothing left to back up the monster hop profile.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Good clarity; nice light caramel color; good head upon pouring that dissipates to a very nice lacing (that sticks around!)

Smell: Uhm, pretty freaking awesome actually! This beer has an exceptional aroma/smell; pine, citrus, apricot... very hoppy.

Taste: Very good... this beer does not taste like it's ~9%ABV; the alcohol is masked very well; makes it a better beer to drink, IMO. But also a nice balance on malt/hops; the malt-sweetness is there, but it takes the beer warming up a bit to really get to it.

Mouthfeel: IMO, it's perfect; like all excellent DIPA's, it's a little on the lighter side of the spectrum; I think it's spot-on.

Overall: This is just one helluva fantastic beer. 'Nuff said!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

I love this beer! being a hophead, this DIPA meets my needs. I rank Pliny as my favorite beer, and Brock and Company have done an exceptional job at reaching that upper limit.

The appearance is golden/amber. Smell is grassy, piney, peach, big hops. Simcoe is the predominate hop. Not much grapefruit in the smell or taste. The alcohol does not come out at all, little burn, which will makes this too easy to drink.

I would hope to see this as a regular addition to the SA lineup in the new bomber series. maybe a 3-4 times a year release.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a perfect pint glass.

A. That's a very handsome looking beer. Crystal clear copper-coloured with an off-white head that sticks around until the glass is drained and leaves plenty of lace.

S. Hops in abundance, of course. Piney and grassy, almost skunky, but in a good way. The way that hops en masse can sometimes give an impression of.

T. Hops again, naturally, and plenty of them. I know there's malt backing them up but I can hardly taste it. There's a sweetness that I know must be malt-derived but it doesn't taste like malt.

M. This is the only aspect of the beer which I'm finding below par. The body is thinner than I was expecting, but I've had worse.

O. For a hop bomb this is an incredibly refreshing beer. For all its piney, resiny hop character it doesn't give me that slightly queasy feeling I can sometimes get from other imperial IPAs. It's almost lager-like in its ability to quench a thirst. It's definitely worth letting this one warm up to cellar temperature if you want to get the best from it.

Hot dam Saint Arnolds made an amazing beer on this DR11. Tons of citrus notes up front, color is very similar to Surly Abrasive. Hop bomb and the alcohol is very well masked. I love this beer and will enjoy every drop of the other bottles I purchased. Thank you Saint Arnold's!!! I think I love you.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Had a tap pour into pint glass at the dig pub

Appearance: pours deep golden with little head or lace.

Aroma: piney hops dominate, what more could you ask for in a dipa?

Taste: a little mixture of hops and glory, this rivals the best dipa's I've had

Mouthfeel: carbonated great, nice sweet malt backbone to keep up with the 75 ish Ibu

Overall: excellent, on par with any dipa out there. Too bad this is a dr series and not a seasonal/year round beer.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Excellent carbonation with nice foam stand & lacing along sides of a fluted Export Lager glass. Bright cooper orange with exceptional clairity.

Smell of citurs & grapefruit. more towards flavor & aroma side. restrained maltiness with slight biscut, breadiness.

Taste all hops as they overwhelm malts, per style but base malt could be bigger.

Quite attenuated, clean but body only medium at best, seems thin.

Overall good IPA Simco hops shine, well executed just needs bigger body to balance.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked up last night during CM pre-sale, chilled an extra hour once home.
Split first bottle with my fiance so had to use the Saint Arnold stanges which was nice for the aroma -- tulip glass next tasting though!

Appearance - Nice head that settled fairly quickly, mild lacing. Lovely orange to amber color, quite clear -- according to Saint Arnold, it's the first Divine Reserve to be filtered due to the large amounts of Simcoe/ hops used to create hop "brightness".

Aroma - the stange held much of the volatiles from the hops, with some slight citrus/peachy note but mostly a resiny/piny characteristic.

Taste - Nice balance, the Columbus hops definitely contribute to the long-lasting bitterness to DR11. Not quite up to the caliber/hop profile of (512) Brewing TWO Double IPA, but definitely a must for hopheads.

Mouthfeel - As others have noted, the body was lighter than I would expect or prefer. Definitely not in the medium body range. No pronounced astringency, well-balanced hops.

Overall - I enjoy DR11 a bit more than the Elissa IPA, and would be able to drink more as a "session" beer. Pleased that I was able to enjoy some DR11.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Bought at 8:15am at Kroger, chilled for 30 minutes .. . Pours a deep golden amber, head is very good- and the lacing is even better .. . Aroma is quite something- spruce, resin, sap, fresh squeezed hop juice, and honey hop nuggets .. . very clean and slick on the tongue, this could get you in trouble with how easy and enjoyable this is to drink! .. . perfect dose of bitterness to go with the sweet resiny hoppiness and hop oil that coats the tongue .. . this is a delicious beer, and is easily the best Divine Reserve on release .. . Cheers to Saint Arnolds ... .. Say, Dave, maybe after work you'd like to go by the zoo and shoot goats..

4.03/5  rDev -5%

bottle from Specs in Round Rock... poured into my new harpoon glass from Black Star Coop... thanks guys!
Pours with a mild 1/4 inch of head which leaves an oily lace around th glass... smell is not as powerful as I was hoping, considering I could actually smell the hops through the cap, or rather smell the residuals on the cap from bottling most likey. Either way, it is a nice blend of citrus and pine with a slight brown sugar sweetness.
initial taste, all I got was let down. It was watery tasting to be honest. The more I sip it, though the more the hop profile comes out. Pine hop is the more dominant force in the hop battle which leaves a piney aftertaste that lingers for a while.
It does seem a bit watery and thin, which strikes me as odd for the amount of hops in this. overall, not too bad, think I am good with the amount I got though. Reminds me a lot of the port mongo, but a wee bit better.
Edit: I am increasing my review on this... it does get better as it warms...

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Got an early 6 pack at the downtown Whole Foods. Awesome. Saw someone else while walking in that was wearing a St Arnold shirt. Word travels quickly online. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours a very nice and clear light brown. Some orange hues when held up to the light. Forms a large head that settles down... but doesn't have a great bubble density. Still leaves a nice cap and lacing.

The nose is dominated by the hops. Somewhat sticky with hints of pine and a bitter grapefruit pith. Not 100% on the clarity of the hops, but it's a nice blend.

The flavor is clean. The nose and taste of the hops are in concert... maybe a bit less pine. The mouthfeel is thin in a welcome way. No mistaking this for an American barleywine. Carbonation complements it to deliver a smooth hop flavor. Very drinkable for a double. No buildup of the hop flavor.

I'm not a huge fan of the Elissa because of the lack of depth from the Cascades... but this hop combo seems to work. Extremely light and drinkable for a double IPA and I'm not gonna argue. If this was in their lineup, I'd buy it regularly.

EDIT: As I keep drinking this, it keeps getting better. Might need to pick up another 6 pack on the way home tomorrow.
Also drank a Maharaja tonight and the DR killed it. Keep liking this beer more.

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »