Saint Arnold Santo - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold SantoSaint Arnold Santo

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Kölsch |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: zander4dawin on 09-28-2011)
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a stemless globe.

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this bottle!

Would Ron endorse? Discuss. Meanwhile, this stuff pours a clear garnet topped by a finger of off-cream-white foam. The nose comprises toasted caramel, light chocolate powder, and lighter orange peel. The taste, being insanely conformist and uninteresting, brings in more of the same. Straight up. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, an okay beer, but nothing I would ever consider a kolsch. I'm thinking this must be miscategorized or something. Either way, it's alright, but nothing close to special or memorable.

TMoney2591, Jan 12, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a dark kolsh? I gave it a vigorous pour and got a good couple of fingers of foam. It’s a dark ruby-cola color in the glass. Slight biscuity aroma, but very light. Tastes of light roast and some honeyed sweetness rounding it out. To be honest I haven’t heard anyone speak highly of this so I’m going to stick my neck out and say it: for what it is, it ain’t half bad.

elNopalero, Jan 09, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -6%

A reddish-brown color and a good sized (more than two-inch) head. Very clear and plenty of sticky lace.

The aroma is that of a very dark roast iced coffee with a hint of cocoa.

Light and crisp. Very refreshing. The dark roasted flavors are not as pronounced as the aroma led me to expect. There really isn't much flavor up front, but plenty of roasted flavors toward the end. Rather one dimensional but refreshing and tasty.

This beer is somewhat unique in texture and flavor. It's a very good beer for a hot day when you want something light but with more flavor than a light pilsner or koelsch. Otherwise, it's not outstanding.

SuperSpy, Dec 31, 2011

drummermattie02, Dec 21, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

xpdrinker, Dec 21, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours a dark brown almost black color, with a half finger white head that dissapates to almost non-existant. Hardly any lacing at all. Very low retention.

S: Not very aromatic at all. Bready and malty. The usual I guess.

T: I can definately taste some heavy malt, as well as some sugar agents. Maybe a small hint of coffee but not really sure. The background flavors are hard to place. I get some nuttiness in the background as well.

M: Great mouthfeel. I think the carbonation is just right. Very clean and crisp, as it should be.

O: I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed by any means, however there are much better examples of the style out there. This is a great average beer for an average (not to over the top) beer drinker. This would be good for intro. to people who are new to the hobby. About what I expected from saint arnold.

CEversole, Dec 20, 2011

MikeH210, Dec 19, 2011

duff247, Dec 18, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

bottle into nonic

A: Cola brown, fairly thin looking body, good carbonation but low retention

S: crisp cracker with a hint of carob, maybe a bit of green apple, heaving co2

T: almost pear-like quality, a bit of toastiness but not much, somewhat chalky/malted milk-like in the finish

M: Very bright, effervescent, final finish is quite dry but clean, good.

O: It's an OK beer. It isn't big enough in any direction to really define its style. I did enjoy the mouthfeel and clean finish.

waldoiverson, Dec 17, 2011

trojankeg, Dec 17, 2011

LSUPT, Dec 14, 2011

TXhomebrewer, Dec 13, 2011

Musineer, Dec 13, 2011

SquidVicious, Dec 12, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance was good

The smell was clean. It was too exotic to just be caramel. I'm not sure what it was. The scent stops short, though.

The taste was good for a dark beer.

I took notes on my phone, so I'm not writing this as I drink it.

There was a bit of slime in the mouthfeel but no after-slime.

Overall, it was pretty good for such a dark beer.

I took notes on my phone so I'm not writing this as I drink it.

Vashtar, Dec 09, 2011

WritersBlock, Dec 09, 2011

BeerHunter76, Dec 09, 2011

jheezee, Dec 07, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Looks like a pretty root beer without the head. Smells like not-much-to-right-home-about. Some sweetness on the sniffer, but it's a hunting expedition in the Amazon to find it. Bubbly on the tongue, more so than I expected due to the lack of foamy head. It doesn't taste like much at all. It's soooo subtle with a bit of toasted Grape Nuts in the finish. Hops weren't invented when this beer was brewed. That's the only reason I can think of for there not being any. A black lager/Kolsch (I guess) that needs more flava-flave.

specksnreds, Dec 06, 2011