Pumpkinator - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

PumpkinatorPumpkinator

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

This is the same beer as Divine Reserve #9. If you have already reviewed that beer, please do not review it again here or you risk losing the older review when the listings are merged.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/p ... nator.html

(Beer added by: FUNKPhD on 10-14-2011)

tsludge, Dec 21, 2011

Tobin42, Jun 22, 2014

Vipsanius, Dec 19, 2013

TheBeerAlmanac, Apr 09, 2014

genkidetchu, Apr 01, 2014

The year this beer appeared (not as Divine Reserve 9 but the first year as Pumpkinator) I was unable to go grab a bottle the week it came out. By the next week they were GONE. So for a year I pined.

Then a day after it was rereleased I secured a couple bottles and made sure I was prepared for the ultimate letdown. After months and months of wondering, reading reviews, and anxiously awaiting the release of this beer, I had built it in my mind to be the perfect beer. And reality set in. There's no WAY this beer could be as good as I was hoping in my mind. Anticipating some sort of elixir of beery perfection was sure to bring only heartache and disappointment.

This beer is jet black in body. A Perfectly dark, impenetrable stout frame, with a unique orange-brown, milky head that was around a finger at the end of the pour, and receded within a few minutes. Looked not only like a truly dark beer, but it had a unique head that added to the beauty. Perfect appearance!

The nose has only a faint note of roasted malt, as it's dominated by the undeniable presence of pumpkin, wrapped in graham cracker, immediately followed by cinnamon and chocolate. The smell alone kept me enamored for several minutes. I can't believe it, the perfect smelling beer as well!

I took a sip of the little foam ring atop the glass. Sweet, bitter chocolate with a roasty back. Very interesting head. Now for a real gulp... Immediate explosion of flavor. Like a chocolatey, sweet, nutmeg-laced pumpkin pie with a very mild alcohol backbone. Delicious, sweet, and still somehow stout. A wonderful balance of desert and a brew. The perfect taste! (and that doesn't happen everyday)

And the mouthfeel... so thick, so creamy, so smooth and filling. It was almost like some sort of sinful milkshake of yeasty perfection. I would marry this beer!

Pumpkinator was everything I imagined and more. I've yet to taste such a flavorful, filling, and satisfying beer and I dunno if any experience will ever compare to FINALLY tasting my first Pumpkinator... next year I'm getting a couple cases at least.

BigBarley, Nov 07, 2012

CraftBrew, Nov 27, 2012

Ungertaker, Nov 25, 2011

FATH3RH0P5, Nov 15, 2012

joshuacavett, Nov 14, 2011

mclowery81, Nov 21, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Dec 26, 2012

slvrmon82, Dec 02, 2011

Stew, Mar 31, 2014

Dabai, Jun 29, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

*Let me preface this by my utter appreciation for this beer. I missed out last year. However, this year was a bit of a treasure hunt for me. I tried the Pumpkinator 2012 (in bottle and draft) the Pumpkinator 2011 (bottle) and the DR9 (Pumpkinator Originator on Draft). All the experiences were fantastic and bit different each time. The beer I'm currently sipping is a bottle of 2012.

A - Pours a rich, dark midnight. A lighter tawny look to its head with a balky lace, remaining fairly contiguous while circumnavigating the snifter.

S - A solid blend of spices and pumpkins, keeping the roasted malt and booze in the undertones. Blended scent gives a suggestion that this beer may be a Banana Bread Stout.

T - Unbelievably gratifying throughout the sip. Well-balanced spices that covers the heat of the ethanol perfectly. A very well-orchestrated taste.

MF - A heavier medium, husky, if you will. A bit of carbonation hinders this beer from being perfect...maybe I need to try it on cask?

O - This recipe, along with the DR12 and BB1, have made St. Arnold my favorite brewery of the year. An astounding work of art that should be enjoyed by all.

genitempo, Nov 30, 2012