Pumpkinator - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

PumpkinatorPumpkinator

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

This is the same beer as Divine Reserve #9. If you have already reviewed that beer, please do not review it again here or you risk losing the older review when the listings are merged.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/p ... nator.html

(Beer added by: FUNKPhD on 10-14-2011)

brez8791, Sep 07, 2012

StubFaceJoe, Oct 17, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -47.8%

3Hops, Nov 01, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -47.8%

I knew that a cask was being breached at a local restaurant at 7pm and went there early to secure a table as I expected there to be a crowd come 7pm. While waiting I had 2 pints of St. Arnold's "Endeavor" strong ale (aka Divine Reserve #13) before receiving my first glass of Pumpkinator. I immediately thought I had made a step backwards taste wise plus its claimed 10% abv is surely wrong, more like 6.5%. In the expectation of sampling a classic pumpkin ale I had also taken 64 ozs of empty Growler bottles to be filled with Pumpkinator, and whose contents I am now slowly sampling. I still feel that it is way over rated and not a beer that I will ever buy again. Its after taste reminds me of that after eating a Middle Eastern dessert cake. Yuk.

eharris, Oct 20, 2013
2.36/5  rDev -45.2%

wsr602, Tuesday at 12:44 PM
2.4/5  rDev -44.3%

Thanks to duff247. 2011 vintage. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a very deep, dark brown. It's nearly black but not quite. There is a bit of fizzy foam that develops but it disappears almost immediately. There isn't really any lacing to speak of either. The beer looks fairly thin, especially for a stout of this size.

The nose is full of spice, notably cinnamon and nutmeg. Both are dominant and make the other aroma really fight to get to the forefront. Some clove does make it's way to the surface as does a slight bit of roast. There is no hint of pumpkin here at all.

The taste seems to be even heavier on the cinnamon. There is a good deal of nutmeg too but the cinnamon is nearly overpowering. The finish saps the mouth of any moistness, almost as if you tried to swallow a mouthfull of actual, dry ground cinnamon. There isn't really much going on here aside from the big spice notes. Perhaps there is but it's drowned out by the strong cinnamon.

This feels a bit thin for a 10% ABV stout. The carbonation is not all that high but it is a bit high for the style. The body almost feels closer to a decent sized porter than to a big stout.

This beer missed the mark for me. There was no pumpkin that I could detect whatsoever and a huge cinnamon note took over in the taste and didn't let go. I'd like to think that maybe a fresh bottle had some pumpkin to stand up to and compliment the spice notes but I thiink the body would still be lacking for it to work.

ms11781, May 26, 2012

BGsWo22, Jan 30, 2013

thewimperoo, Sep 21, 2012

Joe1019, Jun 13, 2013

2ellas, Aug 18, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

Pretty much black, with a light tan finger of head. Holy effing pumpkin and gingerbread! Spice, nutmeg, gingerbread all through the taste. Not mostly pumpkin though. There’s no stout in the aroma to me. Deeper tastes let a more roasted, alcoholic side come through. I've had a pumpkin stout before and it was alright because the pumpkin'y parts were subtle and complimenting, but this is a pumpkin pie in a beer's body. No balance. For pumpkin lovers only.

EgadBananas, Jan 27, 2012

AlexFields, May 23, 2013

ubufan2112, Apr 02, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

2013 vintage

A: A finger of dark tan head was created when poured into a small scale snifter glass and receded moderately slow. The beer is a very dark brown almost black if you don't backlight it and appears to have good clarity. Swirling the glass kicks up some streaking lacing.

S: Moderately strong aroma with pumpkin meat, nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon some clove and hint of fried apple. No malt or hop aroma comes through even after it warms up. Smells like pumpkin pie.

T: First sip is very similar to the aroma, I get the pumpkin pie spices more and not as much pumpkin flavor as I'd hoped for. Nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon and clove. The malt profile comes through faintly with some chocolate and toasty notes, but overall balance is sweet an mostly from the spices. No hop flavor I can detect. Bitterness is moderate and comes from both the hops and spices.

M: A bit thin tasting for a stout, medium bodied with higher carbonation. No astringency from the malts but there is some harshness from the spices, cinnamon in particular I belive.

O: I was hoping for more of a beery pumpkin beer with this one, but it fell short. The over powering spices always kill it for me but I was hoping the stout base beer would bring more to the table.

guityler83, Mar 13, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

On tap at Ginger Man Houston

A- Dark stout like looking beer. Served in a half pint with little to no head. No complaints, pours like I expected.

S- Complex. Roasted malts, dark fruits, pumpkin spice. Not as chocolatey as I was expecting but still nice aroma.

T- A bit of a miss for me. Lots of dark fruits, roasted malts up front. Bittering hops help take the edge off the sweetness. The pumpkin like spices were a mess. I tasted some strange amaretto like flavor that turned me off.

M- A bit too carbonated for style, possibly improper serving pressure though.

O- I was hoping for a mellowed out version of DR9. I'll report back and edit this post when I try the bottled version.

Edit: Update after having bottles from both 11' & 12'. I took some points off from the overall and mouthfeel. St Arnold makes a good effort on this one but misses the mark. The spices are not as balanced as some of the top tier pumpkin beers. The mouthfeel on 12' was lacking.

kungpao, Oct 17, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured at 45 degrees into a Snifter

Pretty gentle pour yielded a 2 finger brown head. Body is a pretty dark black. Lacing was slim and head retention is what you'd expect from a 10% beer.

Smell-Cinnamon, booze. Dark Chocolate and Sweet malts. It's a little bit cinnamon dominant and the booze is very apparent.

Taste-Upfront it's a sweet milk chocolately bite that is nice, a little bit thin. Then a barage of cinnamon really comes through, a lot of it. The finish is what really killed this beer, it's just lots of booze. It's not that pleasant booze you get out of an Imperial Stout on the backend but a cheap vodka flavored booze that burns the inside of the lips and the tongue...and it lingers...

Mouthfeel-A little thin, really coats the mouth but like what I said it's way too much booze. Carbonation may be a little bit low for what it is to kind of mask the booze and cinnamon.

Overall-I was excited to get this beer and I'm still very happy I got this. It's really nice to see St Arnolds produce a bomber of a nice big winter beer, product of DR9. I never had a DR9 fresh so really can't compare but It was a much mellower beer when I had the DR9 a few months ago. I will definitely be aging the rest of my bottles. As of now, this beer is a big let down, and I really hate giving St. Arnolds a negative review, but I know this beer will get better.

SWMeyer4141, Oct 20, 2011