Pumpkinator - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: FUNKPhD on 10-14-2011

This is the same beer as Divine Reserve #9. If you have already reviewed that beer, please do not review it again here or you risk losing the older review when the listings are merged.

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/p ... nator.html
3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

A: This beer is dark in the glass, but barely allows some light to shine through the edges making a dark brown ruby color. Head was about finger's length and dissipated quickly. No lacing.

S: Yep. The pumpkin is definitely there. I'm getting some spices and nutmeg as well.

T: This is a lot different than what I expected. Lots of pumpkin of course, gingerbread, graham cracker, vanilla, nutmeg, a touch of oak, and some chocolate and coffee. I wouldn't call the taste profile on the Pumkpkinator stout-like. It drinks more like an imperial pumpkin ale or maybe a pumpkin strong porter. Not bad, but not my favorite.

M: The mouth feel is actually pleasant. Pretty full-bodied, thick, with some carb on it. It's a good sipper. Don't know if I can finish the bottle…

O: The beer that I have has been aging for about a year. I'm not sure how this beer tastes without aging, but I think it's, overall, a descent beer with a very complex flavor profile. I'm just not too into the pumpkin beers. I love stouts, but this strayed from that style more than I thought it would. Probably wouldn't buy again, but not because it's a bad brew. Just a thick pumpkin monster. Good beer to try once.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Pumpkinator in bomber (not one of the low filled, tilted cap ones)

This is a very complex brew. I am not sure that I have enough experience to give it a completely proper review considering I have not had this before and have heard some people who had the original Divine Reserve #9 speak so highly of it. That having been said I will do my best.

A: Side poured into a Saint Arnold tester glass procured at the brewery. Appears to be a jet black color but shining a strong flashlight through it reveals a very dark red color. Its completely clear and free of particles. A one finger darkish tan head that quickly disappeared. The lack of head despite more agressive pouring on the second glass seems to indicate undercarbonation. Almost zero lacing on the glass but what is there is very sticky. Strangely, on pouring and drinking the second glass, some of the lacing is very oily and some is very sticky. ???

S: Lots of pumpkin (duh), cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, malts, chocolate and not even a hint of alcohol despite the ABV.

T: Lots of complexity going on here. A lot of pumpkin up front of course, all spices mentioned above, caramel, malts and maybe even some dark chocolate and coffee. Very well balanced and only the slightest hint of booze. Slightly sweet with a nice bitterness aftertaste. A very nice wintertime flavor.

M: Creamy and smooth up front with a little bit of bite and warmth on the back end.

O: There is so much going on here that I am going to let my other ones age for a year and try again. It seems to need some time to let the flavors meld. I have heard so many great things about previous years of this beer. I know the brewery had some issues on this 2013 run with underfills and capping and one of the brewers said it was a pain in the ass to make. This might not be the best year for it but with some aging it might be great. I am slightly disappointed but knowing that this brewing company is excellent, I will get some more next year and compare the aged with the fresh. Overall a great beer. Needs some time in the cellar I think. Regardless, I will be buying some more next year.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%

3.37/5  rDev -21.6%

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high seeing as it's currently #9 in the top 50 Southwest. Reviewed as an imperial pumpkin stout because the label identifies it as such on its label. No ABV is listed on the label.

2013 vintage. Many bottles in this vintage were low fills, but this isn't one of them.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. I initially side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues were expected, but as I poured it became obvious no head was forming so I upped the vigor considerably.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

In spite of the vigorous pour, no real head forms - just a sad-looking light khaki coloured floater ring. Tilting the glass doesn't yield any lacing formation.

Body colour is a predictable dark solid black. Opaque and dull. Not a jet black. No floating yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's within style conventions (for an imperial stout) but falls short of the appearance of great beers in the style. The lack of a head suggests severe undercarbonation. I'm a bit concerned going into this based on the subpar appearance, but it's egregious. Far from unique or special. I'm optimistic.

Sm: Bread crust, pie crust, dark malts, pumpkin gourd, nutmeg, allspice, graham cracker, toasted malts, brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, pecan, and light rum-soaked stonefruit. The spices seem to actually overwhelm the pumpkin notes, stealing the limelight. I'd like more pumpkin and more diversity of pumpkin flavour - skin, flesh, and seed would be nice in addition to gourd. Dark malts. Chocolate malts.

I'm not picking up any roasted barley, to its detriment. No overt hop character is detectable, nor is any yeast character or alcohol. I don't find any coffee, char, or burnt qualities.

Overall, it's a pleasant appealing aroma of moderate strength which delivers on the beer's premise.

T: What I notice initially and what I love are the strong pie crust/bread crust notes on the climax, which are complemented very nicely by the spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, and clove (in order of prevalance). There's plenty of brown sugar and graham cracker notes throughout. I think the graham cracker is a highlight of the beer. The dark malts and chocolate malts of the foundation get lost in the seamless cohesion of the flavour profile.

Don't look for too much imperial stout style depth here: they don't distract from the pumpkin with notes like cream, coffee, burnt sugars, bourbon, etc. It's all about the pumpkin, as well it should be. But unfortunately, there's not an ideal diversity of pumpkin notes - just gourd and flesh. Luckily though, it feels like authentic pumpkin - not artificial flavouring - which is more than I can say about a lot of pumpkin beers.

Overall, it's a fairly balanced flavour profile, though not quite a gestalt one, and offers some interesting if limited complexity and subtlety. I like it. The lack of overt hop character leaves the beer feeling a bit too sweet, especially on the climax when the sugars really push through. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Mf: It's a bit too heavy and thick on the palate. Overcarbonated. Too full-bodied. A lighter more accessible feel would really help. The flavour profile doesn't have the intense notes that require this heavy a texture (e.g. bourbon, coffee, vanilla). I like that it's smooth and wet. Unrefreshing. While the presence on the palate isn't ideal, the texture does suit the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to it.

There is some noticeable alcohol presence but it's not hot or boozy.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, rough, or gushed.

Dr: I'm not sure what they're gaining by using an imperial stout as the platform for the pumpkin notes here; the beer's heavy presence on the palate does hold it back, and it doesn't really delve too deep into the potential of an imperial stout. I'm confident there's a style that would better suit the intricate spicing and bready notes they're emphasizing. I do like the beer (especially the impressive graham cracker note), and I'd pick up another bottle to set aside for cellaring, but ultimately I don't know that it's one of the best pumpkin beers out there. Not a world-class beer, anyway. This is definitely a sipper, and could hide its ABV better.

I'm not sure if 2013 is just a weak year for this brew, but based on my experience I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to nab a bottle. A very respectable pumpkin stout, but by no means great.

B-

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

St Arnold Pumpkinator

Appearance: dark brown, some good small lacing, and no head.

Smell: apple and pumpkin pie.

Taste: rich creamy pumpkin pie with many nice spices (pumpkin spice).

Mouthfeel: chewy-yet-smooth medium.

Overall:
This is a nice brew. It is a MUST try. The aroma is wonderful. I can't wait until it is released again.

Pumpkinator from Saint Arnold Brewing Company