Saint Arnold Bitter Belgian - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 02-19-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 32 | Reviews: 4
3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at Hay Merchant in Houston.

A: Pours a clear reddish/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Citrus, grapefruit bitterness, fruity esters, and honey like sweetness.
T: Follows the nose, which is pretty simple. Citrus, grapefruit, esters from the new yeast. Pretty standard.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. A clean snap and fairly dry. Easy enough to drink. Though not something I see myself coming back to.

Interesting to try once. All the Belgian yeast adds is a bit of fruity esters. Other than that, pretty much a muted version of Ellissa.

4.26/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the sauce downtown-

Hesitant to try but still did simply for the word "bitter." pours a very hazy orange with some yellow edges. Creamy I finger head sits on top and shows awesome retention. The head falls to a thin layer leaving sheet after shetaftershet. The aroma is sweet Belgian yeast light bubblegum and not a lot of spice but a subtle pine rather simplistic and failing. The taste, ah the taste absolutely refreshing malty and heavy upfront immediately transitions to disappearing bubblegum floating belgian yeast then black pepper sprinkles (hate that word) bready malt backbone. hops come through and are bittering no other way to put it, not oily not dank no citrus just bitter that absolutely compliments the Belgian characters. I would like to think that this beer is as creamy as it is because of the tap and temp (46) and would not be as creamy out of the bottle but do I care now? No. It has a top notch mouthfeel and drinks like a god. Creamy, carbonated- to perfection and medium to full. Overall this was such a pleasant surprise for me. SA always dissappoints me but every now and then they do something great like this. Best in style I've ever had from the states. Well done, go away santo

2.87/5  rDev -16.8%

This beer is the third installment of the moveable yeast series. I WILL NOTE THAT AM NOT A BIG FAN OF BELGIANS. I tried this brew at the brewery itself on tap.

A: The appearance is a wonderful golden-bronze, that almost seems to glow. A thin layer of foam stayed atop the beer the whole time I was tasting this beer. The beer looks like a wonderful treat.

S: As I said in the second sentence,, I am not a fan of Belgians. The Belgian aroma overpowered a lot of the hops smell. I was none too impressed by this aspect of this beer.

T: The taste was very interesting. The Belgian flavor is what you catch first and it takes a backseat as the hop flavor takes over. I noticed that as the beer warms, the hops are more noticeable. This was a nice bonus for me, personally.

M: The mouth feel was pretty good. The aftertaste is very strong, being a mix of Belgian and hops. A little overpowering for the taste buds.

O: This beer is an interesting twist on a already solid beer. I would much prefer a good, old fashioned Elissa IPA. Hence, my distaste for Belgians comes out once more. This beer deserves a try, as many people who like Belgians and IPAs have told me it is a great mix of the two. If that explains your feelings on the two flavors, good luck trying this brew.

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at Square Burger in McKinney. This is part of the "movable yeast series" - it is the Elissa IPA brewed with a Belgian yeast strain.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with a decent-sized white head. The aroma is not too strong, with the main component coming through some biscuit malt. I don't get too much hop character in the aroma. The hops do come through in the flavor, but they are not quite what I expected. The two main flavors are apples and bananas, but there is also a little bit of pine from the cascade hops. The biscuit malt is also present and keeps the bitterness fairly low. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

to view more.