Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last

Just wanted to say, HOOKEM HORNS!

This beer is seriously good!!! The hops are tropical in the true sense, not overwhelming and cloying. The beer finishes dry, especially given the stiff malt backbone. Lacing is epic, clarity fantastic, can't get much better. This rivals MANY west coast IPA's I've had. Truly fantastic. Trade or travel for this; it will be worth it. (367 characters)

When Saint Arnold released their extremely limited 11th Divine Reserve in late March of last year, beer nerds and the curious alike flocked stores and snagged whatever their limits (typically only a couple six packs) of this beer without even tasting it. By the time I chilled a bottle of DR11 and rushing around town that same eventing to snatch another sixer, they were all gone. So you can imagine the elation around Texas when Saint Arnold announced they were not only re-bottling DR11 but making it year-round and in a 22oz bomber.

Endeavour is one of the best Double IPAs I've ever had and in my humble opinion, it truly may go down as one of the best beers any Texas brewery has EVER produced. It's that good. The orangey/amber colored beer is fruity (peach, mango, satsuma, grapefruit, and pineapple) with strong piny, floral and very slightly dank/cannabis nose, some earth, lemon basil leaf, all packaged with apparent bitterness and wrapped around sweet malty flavors of toffee and caramel then finishes again with sweet citrus and stone fruit.

Outstanding and will soon be (if they stay the course and change nothing) a world-class Double IPA that truly rivals some of the best of its style, truly a very proud Texas achievement. Drink this very, very fresh.

Texas pride aside, I had this side-by-side, Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, and Heady Topper with a couple friends and Endeavour attracted amazement from each of us on how this beer not only compared but was better in some respects to those others. Pliny had the complexity of hops and clean, crisp snap but Endeavour edged out on the balance and drinkability while having a nice complexity. Abrasive and Heady Topper compared most to Endeavour. (1,721 characters)

"Divine Reserve 11" has come back to life! Am I dreaming? Is this really a regular run beer now? I can't stop buying it because I may have found "THE ONE". Where to even start evaluating this beer? The HOP complexity is GENIUS. I think I will have to drink a few more to give it the review it deserves. (302 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured a beautiful sunset orange with 2 fingers of fluffy bright white head. Excellent retention. Kept close to two fingers head the whole way down leaving copious amounts of STICKY lacing

Great citrus hop aroma (orange and grapefruit) along with peach, mango and pine sap. Smells extremely fresh and dank as hell. The aroma is very enticing and begs for you to take a sip.

Citrus hop bomb as soon as it hits your lips! The taste follows the nose to the T. Excellent tropical fruits (mangos and papayas), grapefruit flesh along with some dank pine hops and finishes up with a nice peach taste on the end.

The mouthfeel is Fantastic! Smooth, creamy, medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Sticky as hell and goes down so easy! I cant emphasize the smoothness of this beer enough.

Overall, this beer is divine. Saint Arnolds did a fantastic job with this one. They nailed it! One of the best DIPA's I've ever had and quite possibly the best beer to ever come out of Texas. Thank God this is a year round beer now! I plan on keepin my fridge stocked at all times. (1,083 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Had this beer multiple times before I decided to review it. Bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Poured a wonderful orange with 2 fingers of soft white head. Excellent retention and sticky lacing.

Aroma consists of grapefruit, orange, mango, peach, hops, and pine.

Citrus is overtaking along with some grapefruit, mango. Towards the end, peach and pine hops are present.

Great mouthfeel. Creamy medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. VERY VERY smooth beer.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. Saint Arnolds hit this one on the head! (549 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Thanks to my neighbor for bringing a couple of these back from Houstan. Poured into my tulip this beer is a gorgeous dark orange, clear and a nice tight fingers worth of creamy white head with really thick legs that plaster the side of my bowl as I drink down. The nose is out of this world, crushed sweet dank hops, uber sweet tropical fruits, floral, simply amazing, one of the best smelling brews I have ever had. The flavor profile follows the nose to a tee, sweet red grapefruit, pine, a thin line of maltiness to keep it all in check, there is tangerine, mango, lemon, lime and fresh herbs in beautiful harmony. The mouth is sensational, not heavy for the 8+ abv, which by the way you never detect, it's cleansing, bright, dry and begs for more. Totally blown away by this brew, world class on every level. Available in bombers only. If you are in the distribution area for Saint Arnold and love superbly crafted Imperial India Pale Ale search this one out. It's outstanding. (981 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Probably one of the most floral and unique IPAs I've ever had. StA has always had potential (with creations like their Divine Reserve series, Moveable Yeast series, and Christmas), but this offspring of DR11 is probably their finest effort yet.

I haven't craved a specific beer in a really long time. Congrats StA. (315 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber bottled on 12/15/2014 poured into a tulip glass

Appearance: Pours a clear golden Amber with 2 fingers of fluffy white head

Smell: Citrus zest and some earthy hop notes as well

Taste: Full of juicy hops with notes of citrus and pine with malt balancing the finish that is very clean despite the full hop flavor

Mouthfeel: medium and just the right amount of resin

Overall: I have had many DIPAs since first having this and it is still a go-to for me. Full of hop flavor and still maintains it balance. The only problem is that in my opinion this beer falls off very fast so make sure you enjoy it fresh. (620 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Amidst the beer wasteland of Texas there are some fine craft beers from Austin and Houston. One of them happens to be St. Arnold, who has been at the craft for over ten years. Their double IPA, Endeavor, is outstandiing! Very subtle hop-viscosity on the palate, just the way I like it., reminds me somewhat of a Jailai IPA out of Tampa. Nice bitterness, but just not over the top. Highly recommended! (400 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

Had this on tap tonight for the first time and it instantly became one of my favorite Double IPA's. This beer was very clear in the glass, somewhat unusual for a double IPA, which leads me to think it is filtered. From the taste, I get apricot and lots of tropical fruit notes. Definitely try this beer if you get a chance!

I could see this becoming the Pliny of the south (373 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 oz growler into an oversized wine glass. Deep copper color with thick sticky head that lingers. Made up of tight tiny bubbles supported by little streams from underneath.

Strong piney hop aroma with citrus notes. Flavor follows the nose. Very smooth and well balanced, not overwhelming with some late bitterness that leaves you wanting another sip rather than being turned off. I've had a lot of IPAs with this hop profile that ruin the follow through.

Creamy mouth feel that is thicker than most IPAs and really suits the beer well. All in all a great under the radar DIPA that I'm proud to have from Texas. (627 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

The Endeavour is the Divine Reserve #11's new alias and permanent addition to Saint Arnold Brewing company. It is a nice deep amber color with a light, creamy head. The smell has notes of citrus, which then fades into a nice peach smell. The taste has a creamy and carmel maltiness to it and is well balanced with the bitterness of the hops. The feel is great in the mouth, not too carbonated and has a smooth feel. We are so excited they will now permanently have this beer in their line., one of our favorite IPAs. (516 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

As a Houston native, I'm proud of this beer. Put this next to a DFH 60 or 90, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference. It has that marvelous citrusy odor I love in the DFH 90, and ditto on that hoppiness with a tinge of sweetness that just lingers at the back of your tongue for a few seconds after a swallow. Just barely darker than the 90's orange. I typically am underwhelmed by Saint Arnold, so I only bought one bomber bottle - but now I'm going to really stock up. (485 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz bottled 2.27

This is actually the second time I have had this beer. I didn't want to review it the first time because I had a cold and wanted to make sure my taste wasn't off.

A - Copper and orange, beautifully clear, head dissipates quickly, but leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Enticing and juicy aromas of pineapple, peach and pine citrus. Just enough malt presence.

T - Follows the nose perfectly. Tropical fruit and citrus dominate the pine. No hint whatsoever of the 8.9 abv. Finish is dry, but creamy and balanced enough not to fatigue the palate prematurely.

M - Carbonation tingles the tongue and complements the bittering hops. Just enough creaminess as stated above.

O - World class. I have had a good portion of the top 10 rated dipas and this is right up there. Congrats to St. Arnold. Today is a great day to be a Texas dipa drinker. (858 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

On tap at Boondoggles in El Lago, Texas.

This is a great DIPA. In fact, it's my favorite of all that I have tried.

Plenty of grapefruit taste in my opinion, which I'm a big fan of. Lots of hops too as expected. Bitterness is there, but it fits in. Plenty of ABV so be ready.

If it's on tap, its going to be hard to pass up in the future. (340 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%

Pouring to a tan hue with the slightest haze, St. Arnold Endeavor has a fragrant bouquet that combines zesty citrus and other fruits along with some biscuits. The head of foam on this beer is exceptional, and its appearance is certain to pique your interest and encourage that first sip.

Tasting this beer, you quickly realize that the appearance, however impressive, was only a warm-up to the delight that awaits. Yes, this beer is big on hops, but it is better balanced than other double/imperial IPA, with tastes of bread, pine, toffee, and caramel backing up the wonderful flavors from the hop trio that includes Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus varieties. Taste sensations include a touch of grapefruit, orange, peach, and pineapple, with no one flavor dominating.

St. Arnold Endeavor is an exceptional beer in every way and I like it more and more every time I take a sip. It is one of a select group of beers that actually tastes just as good if not better as it warms. I would avoid serving it ice cold because doing so negates the complex flavors within. It is best served around 45 degrees but if allowed to warm slightly, it still tastes very good and some of the complex flavors become even more noticeable.

This beer is sold only in 22 oz. bomber bottles but anyone who has the chance should go out of their way to sample this amazing beer. It is better balanced than other imperial IPA and it isn’t surprising that Endeavor has already won an award at the 2012 world beer cup. I expect more awards in the future and more incredible, memorable moments made even better with St. Arnold Endeavor, the best beer in the St. Arnold lineup. (1,654 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured the bomber into a 22 ounce brandy snifter. Pours cloudy reddish orange with an abundant eggshell colored head. Plenty of lacing is left as the head dissipates. Aromas of pine and citrus dominate. It's such a wonderful smell. Roasted barley malt and peaches hit the mouth on the first sip with the piney hops coming in on the back. It's sweet and the hops balance the flavor well. This is over 8% ABV, but I don't taste the alcohol at all. It's a medium bodied mouthfeel that's very creamy and well carbonated. It's smooth and easy to gulp. Overall, this is a fantastic beer and I highly recommend it. (607 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a Tulip glass. Dark, amber color. Translucent. Very thick foamy, brownish head. Lacing on the side of the glass is very good. There really isn't an overpowering odor. Citrusy and piney aroma. Piney, hoppy taste up front with strong malty backbone on the end. Very smooth. Almost creamy. Excellent bitter aftertaste that persists for a while. Alcohol is very well hidden. If you haven't tried this, you must. If you don't get St Arnolds where you live, pick one up whenever you are in Houston. You won't be disappointed. (531 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, I am not a big fan of Saint Arnold; but for my money, this is one of the best IPAs out there. It pours very nicely (2 finger head, beautiful color) and exudes a great IPA aroma (very hoppy of course, but a strong dose of citrus, as well). The alcohol presence is noticeable, which some may consider a turn-off, but I think it is appropriate for a DIPA and well-balanced by the considerable depth of flavor. (415 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12%

First ever offering I've tried from Saint Arnold but damn was I impressed, one of the best IPA's I've ever had a chance to try. Oozes of hoppiness, yet has an uncanny balance to it and a great maltiness to make sure it isn't too overbearing. Fantastic beer, was a pleasure to drink and disappeared from the glass way too quickly. (329 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

I loved DR11. LOVED. Let's see if this hits the same high standard. Purchased a bomber in Austin at the Sunrise Mini Mart. Popping it open and sniffing the cap... yep, I'm gonna love this beer. Does this smell even better than DR11? Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours an amazingly clear orange. Nice off white head that leaves good lacing and sticks around the top of the beer. I'm trying to find faults, but it's hard. Time to stop picking nits and just give in to the 5.

The nose has been impressive from the moment I popped the cap. Pine is my first thought. Then the tropical honey-drenched pineapple comes through. This is just one heck of an inviting smell.

The taste is... a bit less sharp. Pineapple hop through the end with a clean hop bite at the end. Very, very drinkable for a IIPA. It's lacking a bit of depth in the hop flavor and it's not quite what I remember, but it's still damned good.

This beer delivered once again even though my expectation bar was extremely high. St. Arnold having this available year-round instantly improves the Texas beer market by a large amount and give us the flagship big beer that we can all throw that state pride behind. (1,198 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled dated 2-27-12! 2 days old, officially the freshest IPA in a bottle I have ever had. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn Tulip glass. Pours a nearly transparent golden orange color. A little bit of head, about 1 finger. not much lacing as it recedes. Smell- dank citrus hops, tropical sweet aroma of mango and papaya. Smells amazing. Taste- prickly hops explode on the tongue- tight carbonation, followed by a really nice medium bodied flood of sweet mango and hop resin bitter finish. Wow! Watch out world, Houston is on the map with a great Imperial IPA. (560 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Pours a very clear darker orange with a big pillowy white head that recedes quickly leaving the slightest amount of lacing.

Smell: Bright crisp refreshing tropical fruits! Big grapefruit nose with some peach and tons of juicy hops

Taste: Very similar to the nose with tons of tropical summery fruits. Huge grapefruit and peach flavor meld well with the malts and the finish has a semi dry bitter hop bite. Perfect for hot Texas summers as it is very refreshing. Very little alcohol detectable for 9% with a very high drinkability

Mouthfeel: Light to medium mouthfeel and slightly sticky. Sticky mouthfeel lingers on your palate.

Overall: A really nice drinkable representation of the style and a great summer time beer for South Texas. Saint Arnold's last two anticipated releases have been big hits and we can only hope there is more to come! (859 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A. Amber in color with a decent head, doesn't stick around though. Little to no lacing.
S. citrus, piney woods robust sweetness, this smell is perfect
T. Imediate bitter hop flavor , the malt is subtle and is overwhelmed by hops
M. Not really bubbly, but easy and smooth, as much as can be expected from 70 + IBU's
O. A hop slam dunk, overall great smelling beer with good hops . I wish there was a six pack available though, since 16 oz is a little much for me. I enjoyed this bomber with a friend. It was just right. (518 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again. (1,479 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last