1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

(Beer added by: Kornoms on 02-29-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 575 | Reviews: 133 | Show All Ratings:
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.83/5  rDev -32.1%

22oz bottle into a tulip glass

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden/amber color with a finger and a half of very dense white foam. Retention is quite good.

S: Tropical fruity hoppiness mixes with some caramel and fruity sweetness. Balanced sweetness and hoppiness.

T: Tropical fruit sweetness with some dank hops. Also quite bitter. I also get a bit of citrus and piney hop flavors. Pretty straight forward and not great.

M: A bit on the thick side for a DIPA with adequate mouthfeel.

O: Not really a fan. I'm not sure if this is a bit old, but it's not very good.

07-27-2012 23:19:17 | More by coreyfmcdonald
AlexFields

Tennessee

3.06/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 12/03/12, consumed 2/8/2013...so not as fresh as I would like but should still be basically okay.

Pours a pretty standard amber color, very clear, very thick off white head.

Smells pretty bready and malty, some grass, pine cone, some bright lemon...not my kind of IPA really, and doesn't smell super fresh. Not really impressed.

Tastes bready and malty too but a little more hops here, fairly bitter, mild lemon and orange, some zesty spice. Some sweetness from the booze. Decent.

Mouthfeel is good, strong carbonation and a pretty creamy feel. Alcohol noticeable but not rely distracting.

This is okay but overall pretty disappointing. Maybe it would be better a month fresher.

6.1/10

02-09-2013 03:34:37 | More by AlexFields
Khazadum

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

Big thanks to Twiggamortis420 for this bottle! Totally unexpected.

A- Very puffy collar, creamy, emulsive. Its nice and sticky, very great retention, the ranges of lacing are decent, almost great. Clear goldenrod, caramel body. Well done on that.

S- Big pine needles, not pine trees... just christmas tree needles you smell after your vacuum cleaner has sucked them up and is puffing their aroma all over the room. Its paired with juniper, a very faint grapefruit, and light orange citrus sweetness that tries its best to balance out the tremendous bitterness. There is a sharpness of alcohol towards the last quarter that is almost astringently hot.

T- Bright bitterness comes at me. Pine trees and evergreen forests, mint leaf memories, some citrus sweetness, but more like a generic caramel. Its nauseatingly sweet and overwhelmingly astringent bitter. Like the alcohol is causing an exponential amount of damage in addition to it. Not a big fan of these combination of flavors.

M- Full bodied, sticky presence, long lasting biting attacks in the back pockets of my cheeks, roof of the mouth wants to crawl off and die because of the uselessly bitter imitation pine and alcohol. A nearly 9% is a tougher drink than a 15%. Color me shocked.

It started becoming a chore to drink unfortunately.

03-23-2012 22:36:25 | More by Khazadum
numb

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

What's the big deal? Aggressive, one-dimensional hop profile is decent, but hell, where's the body? Isn't this supposed to be a DIPA? This has the viscocity of a lighter IPA. The Saint Arnolds crew don't seem to understand that a heavy body is a essential characteristic of the style. Until they get this right, this is just another bandwagon beer…

03-06-2012 02:52:34 | More by numb
Thorpe429

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Big thanks to drabmuh for sharing this bottle. Served in a mini tulip.

Pours a clear light copper color with a thin white head and some lacing on the way down. The nose carries some tropical and citrus hops with quite a bit of malt and sweetness in the background. The flavor has some mango and other tropical fruits, but the added sweetness doesn't help. Body is too full and it's not bitter enough. Can't see a beer with this much residual sweetness being very refreshing in the Texas heat.

04-13-2012 18:06:52 | More by Thorpe429
kojevergas

3.2/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with cool label art and branded pressure cap acquired at me local HEB Grocery yesterday and served into a Spaten Stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high seeing as it's currently #21 on the Top 50 (Southwest) list. "Endeavour IPA [Squared Symbol]." "Brewed with lots of Simcoe, Centennial & Columbus hops." I dig the British-English spelling of "Endeavour", but their omission of the oxford comma when describing the hops is a bit frustrating. Best before 09/31. Reviewed as an Imperial (Double) IPA because Saint Arnold identifies it as such on their website. 76 IBUs. 1.078 OG.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The cap popped off with alarming ease; they may need a new capper on their bottling line. I mean, Jaysus.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a head three and a half fingers wide, of beige colour. Disappointingly thin, lending it a weak appearance. Subpar creaminess to boot. Sticky cobwebby lacing clings string-like to the sides of the glass. The head resembles that of a cask ale - and I mean that in the most incisive manner possible. Head retention is slightly above average - maybe three minutes at best.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks rather average for an imperial IPA. Indeed, many poor Imperial IPAs/IPAs I've had share this appearance. There's nothing unique or special about it, but I'm optimistic. No overt flaws are evident.

Sm: Substantial caramalt. Pale malts. Munich malts. Sticky sweet maltiness. The toasted munich malt character is a highlight.

Surprisingly tame floral hop character with some vague, buried fruit. Shockingly, malts beat out hops for dominance in the aroma. I'm suspicious of the beer as a result.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. It's a pleasant aroma, but it's not bringing a lot to the table for a beer of its style. Not at all assertive or hop-emphatic. Mild in strength.

T: Yeah, the malts crush the hops here - not at all ideal for a beer of this style. Resembles a cask-drawn mildly hopped English IPA at best.

Still, it's got a nice interplay between caramalt (which isn't overly sweet here) and mango and grapefruit hop notes and their accompanying fruity esters.

Plenty of munich and pale malts. Peach. A bit of floral hop character. We even get some actual hop bitterness just after the climax, but it's quickly covered up again by the pale malt (i.e. 2 row) sweetness. Normally, I like that there's no naked hop bitterness, but in this beer I'm happy to get anything hoppy at all. I get some flax-like flowery notes in the third act, which is a nice touch. The balance of the beer is growing on me the more I drink it; it's got an understated quality and doesn't beat you over the head like many beers in the style. But it's rare to see such a sorry waste of centennial and columbus hops. I pick up on the simcoe; there is a touch of oniony character - especially in the third act and on the finish. I like that note, but those of you who don't may want to stay away.

I do get some lightly zesty rind-like fruity notes, including mango, grapefruit, and adjacent fruits. Ultimately, the flavour profile does land on the sweeter end, which I would think would draw out the critics - yet the beer currently has a 93 rating. How about that?

It's not a perfect marriage of hops to malts by any means, and ultimately the balance is imperfect. Not a gestalt beer, but it's got fluidity and cohesion. Decent amplitude.

Depth of flavour is a bit on the shallow side. Average duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour for the style. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Do I like it? Sure. But it lacks complexity and subtlety. Seems like a happy accident of brewing.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not particularly creamy. Sticky. Good carbonation (in spite of its cask ale appearance). Nice body. Good thickness. Decent presence on the palate for what it is. It complements the flavour profile nicely, but it never quite feels as though it's custom-tailored to it.

Dr: I'll only be buying this again for trade partners (Duff27, I'm looking at you). It's a nice little IPA for what it is, but there's just not much that's memorable about it to keep me coming back at this price point. Hides its ABV well. It's certainly drinkable; I'll have no trouble killing the bomber alone. I wouldn't want another at a bar if there were new beers available to try. I can see why it has its audience, and I'm glad it does, but why it has a top 50 spot on the Southwest list is beyond me. I look forward to trying more Saint Arnold offerings, but if this is the best they've got they're not going to be a brewery I give much money to.

High C+

09-03-2013 03:25:13 | More by kojevergas
drabmuh

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

At the time of this review, this is #26 on the "Top Beers - American Double / Imperial IPA" list on beeradvocate.com. Bottle received in a recent trade, served in a wine glass. Thanks! Unfortunately this was a rather big disappointment to me. Too heavy, too sweet, not enough hops.

Beer is dark amber with a mild haze and a thin off whtie head of small bubbles, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is malt and some columbus-ish hops, it smells like a barleywine.

Huge disappointment here, this is on the far end of the malty big IPA spectrum. Almost tastes like unfermented wort. The finish is moderately bitter and that saves the beer for me but the front of the beer is 100% malt, all malt all the time, big heavy sweet beer. Not what I expect from a great IPA, this is not a repeat for me. Bummer.

04-13-2012 20:50:36 | More by drabmuh
billab914

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

220z bottle poured into my Devil's Backbone glass. It poured dark amber, slightly orange in color with a thin, sticky, off-white head to it.

The aroma shows more of a candied fruit and bready malt presence to it. I get good amount of pine to it mixing with a bit of a tropical fruit like presence. It's got some orange flavors to it that's almost like a mix of candied oranges and orange juice. The hoppiness seems a little light, or potentially faded to me.

The taste also has a pretty bold candied fruit presence to it with notes of orange, grapefruit and a touch of mango. It's also very malty and bready with some slight caramel tones. Again, the hoppiness seems a little dull or faded.

The mouthfeel feels a little on the heavier side for the style with carbonation being average. Overall it was a pretty good beer, but the hoppiness fell a little short of expectations. It actually felt pretty balanced between hoppy and malty, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It just seemed to lack some of the bold, juicy, fresh hoppiness I love.

05-31-2012 22:12:23 | More by billab914
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle from drabmuh. Thanks Matt.

The beer is clear and bright orange with a small white head. Plenty of effervescence present.

The aroma offers some candied citrus fruit, sweet malt.

The flavor imparts grapefruit, alcohol, tart citrus, orange rind. Some good stuff going here, but a bit too sweet. Long lasting bitterness in the finish. Malt presence is formidable. I prefer beers of this ilk to be a showcase for hops, more aromatic and lighter in body.

Not a smooth experience for the palate. The beer is heavy, with abundant sweet malt. Alcohol and a dry, hoppy bitterness are very aggressive on the palate.

Overall, this is ok. Not my thing, but worth a try.

04-18-2012 02:13:05 | More by Huhzubendah
Atlas1

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber of the Endeavor tonight to celebrate having tomorrow off from work. Or something like that. I like most of the St. Arnold beers that I've had, and I had high hopes for this DIPA, but sadly I don't quite think it lived up to my expectations.

Poured into a snifter. Nice enough looking - a pretty bronze orange color with a thinish head that fizzled out quickly. No lace. The nose is nice enough, but nothing special. Some pine, some faint grapefruit. Floral, even. But not the level of hoppiness I was expecting here. The taste is solid, with a strong hoppy bitterness to it, but very little mystery. There are no layers here to explore that I can detect. It's a double IPA, but it's a fairly unimaginative one. Mouthfeel is fine. On the whole, it's not a bad beer, but not a great one either.

Again, this is a fine ale, but didn't quite live up to the (unreasonably lofty) expectations I had for it going in. I'd be willing to try again at the brewery or on tap, though, if given the chance.

07-04-2013 02:12:37 | More by Atlas1
jaasen64

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

22oz bottle thanks to SSW117.

A- Pours a golden amber with about a head of slightly off-white head that quickly dissipates to leave almost no head. Some spotty lacing, a little bit below average carbonation.

S- Pretty malty, some hops, but definitely not a hopbomb, some spices, below average aroma strength for an IPA.

T- Malts, spices, some light hops, definitely more malts then hops. Lightly sweet, tiny bit bitter on the finish but definitely more dominated by the malts.

M- Medium bodied, below average carbonation, goes down easy, abv very well hidden.

O- Not bad but I was a little bit disappointed by this one (considering it was rated a 4.21), definitely too dominated by the malts- just not what I expect from an IPA. Abv was very well hidden and not bad too drink. Glad I got to try this, thanks again SSW117.

08-04-2012 23:12:08 | More by jaasen64
C20Percent

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden-brown, with a big bubbly light-light tan head of foam on top. Lots of bubbles in the body, but not too much complexity in the body.

S: Sweet malts. Caramel. Hops. Sweet Pine. Sweet Citrus. Spices. Very sweet smelling brew with spices. A good-smelling IPA.

T: Sweet malty caramel taste with a sharp bitter finish. A little one note. There's some complexity while the beer sits on the tongue, but disappears rather quickly.

M: Medium to heavy body (got heavier as beer warmed) with really good carbonation. Nice much chewiness, and what's there really showcases the booziness. Little bit of an oily feel here. The feel is mostly hit or miss.

O: This IPA is just above average. To the appearance to the taste to the feel. It's mostly a one note brew. Not terrible or anything, but I can get better IPAs at my local grocery store. *Note -- this beer was bottled in April, so freshness might be the issue here. Tough to say.

07-25-2012 01:19:44 | More by C20Percent
sprucetip

Alaska

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Really good lookin brew, amber/orange with fluffy white head, good retention and it is very active.

Aroma reminds me of sweaty sock. Sorry to say, but that's what comes to mind. Breaking it down, it is boozy with something like sour citrus combining and fusing into the aforementioned summary. I can't detect any of the malt bill, which I suspect is prodigious. ... Later I get a wee bit or sweetness.

The taste is boozy and bitter primarily. Later I pick up a bit more, but it still doesn't quite work for me. The hop flavor is dull and muted, and the bitterness isn't sharp, but it lingers. There isn't much complexity and it it would be hard to call balanced. What hop flavor I do get is sorta citrusy, but it would be a big stretch to call it fruity. I get a wee bit of sweetness, but, ultimately, it's mostly boozy and bitter and kind of a disappointment.

Plenty carbonated, medium body, bitter finish lingers.

I suspect that this bottle is old or was not handled properly. It has a 4.22 overall score as of this review, and it seems to have the elements in it that could lead to such high regard. But I neither tasted nor smelled any caramel (though it looks to maybe have some crystal in it), and the hops taste and smell stale. The booze is the most prominent component of the nose and the taste. It's close to being really good, but the sample I have is not. I am visiting Texas and rooting for the home team here, but am disappointed with Endeavour, based on high expectations due to its high score. I'd try it again, though, especially if on tap or I knew it were fresh.

12-17-2012 02:56:41 | More by sprucetip
benclimbs

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - pours amber with a great head and some solid lacing.

Nose - biscuit malts, amber character some hop notes but it is very muted compared to the west coast style - super east coast'y, immediately reminds me of 90 minute both in smell and taste. Once it warms, the hop character comes out a bit but it is still subtle - artificial citrus and some pine. Almost a desert wine character (again reminiscent of Dogfish). Smell is not what I expect from a DIPA but it is so interesting we can't knock it.

Taste - a solid amber malt backbone, caramel structure, round alcohol warmth and a good hop kick at the end, finishes more hoppy than you expect, mouthfeel is viscous at the front but finishes very smooth, nothing spectacular but tasty nonetheless.

Overall a solid example of an early-boil, very balanced east coast DIPA - though I very much prefer our local style, this is both drinkable and structured for this type of IPA, thanks for sending Wes!

01-21-2014 04:36:52 | More by benclimbs
Pintofbrown

Iowa

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured in a snifter.

Glowing copper-orange body and a half inch of sandy foam. Some spider web lacing on the glass.

Estery and sweet aromas. Some tea leaves poking through. Marmalade sweetness seems to mix with a little diacetyl. Honey and some booze if you really try to dig deep.

The very noticeable flavors have an earthy and tea - like herbalness. Soapy, orange jam, and a malt that is like granulated sugar donuts slammed up against a bite of resin-y hop bitterness. This thing must be unbearable if aged!

A more watery feel. There is not much lift off the tongue. If the beer is swished around, a creaminess opens up. This needs more heft.

Endeavor has a sweet quality that does not sit on my palate very well. It needs more of those hop flavors to dominate the nose. The bittering hops do enough to balance out the jammy and tea flavors present. Honestly, this beer gets close to a barleywine, so not a real bad thing happening here.

11-28-2013 04:25:46 | More by Pintofbrown
sitarist

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a clear copper color. One finger of rocky, white head. The head falls to a ring that leaves patches of lacing. Gorgeous!

It smells like a wet Great Dane. There are hints of tropical fruits, some biscuit, but mainly I smell shampoo, and wet mutt. It does tickle my nose though.

I taste tea, mango, papaya, and soap. Not bad, not great!

Lighter body, the carbonation tingles my tongue. Just a bit too light.

A good beer that is a tweak or two away from being a great beer. I would drink this again, and again.

03-23-2012 01:28:14 | More by sitarist
stakem

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Cheers and thanks go to mhenson42 for this generous extra during our recent trade. Bomber poured into a tulip-shaped pint glass. The brew appears a a clear light copper to golden color with 2 fingers of tan to yellowish stead head that fades leaving patches and spots of lacing effect all over the glass. Rising bubbles of carbonation constantly maintain a thin film across the top and a light swirl revives about a half finger.

The aromatics include a nice fruity hop punch that is somewhat tropical before getting grassy, rindy and pitted with some floral elements. There is a bit of a perfume-like alcohol aspect to this that gets a bit solvent/fusel as it warms up. More smells reveal a bit of herbal element and the fruit character becomes a bit melon-like as it warms up which isn't my favorite hop scent but it is still enjoyable. The grain quality presents itself with a bit of toasty appeal under the hop character.

The taste is bitter and rindy with hops, a bit of pulp aspect like grapefruit rinds and orange zest. Some herbal flavors mix with some melon character before finishing a bit grassy. A bit of perfume-like alcohol imparts a taste of fruity ester before changing to solvent and warming. The malt carries a low profile that provides just enough backing to let you know it is there with a mild toasty grain flavor. As expected, the hops are the showcase here with the alcohol being a closer runner-up.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate to lively amount of carbonation that lightens up the feel overall a bit. There is a pretty solid alcohol impact for less than the listed 9% but it warms you up like it is significantly stronger. Overall it is a decent DIPA and worth a try but this isn't something I enjoyed enough to crave it or want to seek it out again. I think the alcohol could show a little more restraint instead of being more forward and that would increase the overall appeal of it.

10-02-2012 00:29:43 | More by stakem
pwsoldier

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottled 2/27/12

A - Pours amber/copper with a modest ivory head. Lacing is pretty light.

S - Lots of citrus and pine with some peaches and a hint of tropical fruit in the background. Some toffee-like malt sweetness comes through as well. A very nice aroma overall.

T - Big, resinous hops are dominant. The citrus and pine sits atop a large malt backbone. A bit one-dimensional, but enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the smell of this beer more than the taste.

M - Medium-bodied with semi-dry hoppy finish. A touch of bitterness carries over into the aftertaste.

O - It's nice to see a decent DIPA made in Texas. That said, it's little more than decent. I want to love this beer, but I guess I've been spoiled by having the opportunity to try beers like Pliny, Sculpin, and Abrasive, beers that Endeavour can't stand up against. It's good, but I think it's been over-hyped by locals.

03-19-2012 00:40:49 | More by pwsoldier
bmwats

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a tulip.

A: Light brown, with a ruby hue. Pours about a half finger, foamy, white head. Settles quickly, but leaves a ring of foam around the rim of the glass. Slight lacing.

S: Pine sap, butterscotch, a little molasses, and caramel. Buttery almond.

T: Earthy and pungently hoppy. Has a slight fresh flora character, with some buttery sweetness.

M: Pungent on the front end, bittersweet on the finish. High alcohol character is apparent.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Nice hue, solid head, and some slight lacing. Nose is strong combination of bread and earth with a sweet balance. Flavor is earthy and pungently hoppy with a balance of sweetness and fresh flora. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

03-03-2013 06:51:35 | More by bmwats
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle, proudly displayed at a liquor superstore in western Denver.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, tightly foamy ecru head, which leaves some random Play-doh castle lace around the glass as it genially recedes.

It smells of heady grainy caramel malt, relatively subtle tropical fruit and pine resin hop esters, some late-arriving sticky toffee notes, and a further floral, perfumed hoppiness. The taste is at least a bit more bitter up front - clammy pine needle, overripe grapefruit and orange rind, a nondescript dank earthiness - with a bready, wet cracker caramel malt, a bit of bakery-borne toffee sweetness, and, and then, well, and then nothing. No more tardy hops, no alcohol notes (really?).

The carbonation is mild, but pervasively frothy all the same, the body just on the lee side of medium weight, and mostly smooth, with just a tame tingle from the flavour-free hop bitterness. It finishes off-dry, the sweetness of the malt bolstered by the flip-side hop fruitiness, and some now detectable alcohol astringency.

A DIPA that takes a spell to warm up, literally and figuratively. Too malty up front, too bitter in the middle, but all snuggly and well blended by the end. Balanced, I suppose, but a bit less of the Jekyll and Hyde routine would go a long way in making this a more thoroughly attractive offering.

10-10-2013 22:15:54 | More by biboergosum
dexterk1

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this one on tap at the brewery. Pours an amber to maybe orange color with a rather thick head that stayed for a little bit and left pretty decent lacing.
Odor was good with pine, citrus plentiful.
Taste starts out with hop bitterness and leads into some grapefruit and general citrus. A little sweet malt is present near the middle end.
Mouthfeel is relatively smooth with fairly typical carbonation and feel on the tongue.
Overall, a very good IPA and the best I tried from St Arnold so far.

01-16-2014 00:09:59 | More by dexterk1
thebornotaku

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

Firstly, I would like to thank my friend Jeremiah for sending this to me. Not normally available in CA, so this is a nice opportunity to try some out-of-state craft beer!

Unsure when it was bottled, but keep in mind that this beer spent a week on a truck from TX to CA so that may or may not have had an effect.

Poured from a 22oz bomber in to a regular pint glass.

A- Starting off, it pours an amber color, clear with a little hint of red. Very attractive. Poured carefully so there's no head.

S- Hoppy and piney. Unfortunately I've been experiencing allergies so my sense of smell isn't the greatest, but it certainly smells good.

T- Here's where it gets good. It doesn't start off with the usual hop-forward bitterness that most IPAs have. It eases in to the bitterness and hoppiness. Kind of sweet, floral and overall really well balanced. A little bit of lingering bitterness on the back end but it's not unpleasant.

M- medium body, good carbonation. Nothing excessive or exceptional.

O- Pretty damn good beer. Wish my allergies weren't acting up so I could enjoy it more, but still very good nonetheless. From what my buddy Jeremiah tells me, it's $7/bottle which is a little steep considering the local offerings here to me in CA, but still pretty good.

06-16-2012 08:39:32 | More by thebornotaku
jasonjlewis

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a great amber color, slightly hazy from the hops. Head is 2 fingers thick with excellent retention

Aroma is great. I smell some grapefruit and citrus with a little bit of pine. The downside is that a bit of fusel alcohol comes through. I realize this is an 8.9% abv beer.

Taste is very bitter from the hops which is expected in an IPA. I get a bit of grapefruit, but really I want more hop flavor rather than just the bitterness. Some caramel malt sweetness comes to balance a bit. A touch of sweetness at the tip of the tongue. A touch of soapiness on the palate towards the end

Mouthfeel leaves a full. Carbonation is left on the palate. Finishes a bit dry, but pretty good.

Overall: this is a pretty damn good example of a double IPA. Proud that it came from Texas. There is a bit of fusel alcohol on the palate. Good hop flavor and good malt profile. I would like a bit more hop flavor and a little less fusel alcohol. For the style the fusel alcohol is not bad compared to other beers in this category.

08-22-2013 00:00:04 | More by jasonjlewis
brewskifan55

Mississippi

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter

A: Light amber. A white half finger head that dissipates quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Bring on those piney hops. Some citrus aspects protrude as well.

T: For an imperial IPA, the hops are very smooth with a low grapefruit bitterness. Lemons and light malts even out the taste. Very nice.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: I see why Endeavor is such a popular drink from St. Arnold. Being more of a malt fan, the hops didn't overwhelm me. Endeavor to pick up a bottle or two.

02-25-2013 17:52:59 | More by brewskifan55
jbphoto88

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Endeavour is a looker. Orange gold in color with a soft white cap that lasts and laces the glass. Large hop oil slicked bubbles from a deep pour refuse to pop on the surface.

The nose to me should be bolder for an IIPA. Don't get me wrong there is a strong hop presence with gobs of tropical fruit and pine, but an imperial should punch you in the face with hops.

Now this is what I'm talking about! The taste is almost all hops with a start to finish hop bill supported by sweet caramelized malts. Those hops range from tropical to resin and really hit the spot.

Mouthfeel also steps up the pace with complimentary pinch to the mouth full of hop flavors. A good carbonation delivers that tand to every taste bud and makes this a great drinking experience. I'm glad St. Arnold brought this one back. This is a solid beer and one I hope to see again and again in the fridge. I just have to beat my wife to them before she drinks them all.

06-30-2012 23:43:09 | More by jbphoto88