Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.

(Beer added by: Kornoms on 02-29-2012)

ChanceK, Mar 24, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz bomber pours a medium amber with sufficient head and lacing. Heavy tropical citrus aromas with even a little coconut detected. Taste is fantastic juicy citrus hops, but a little too cotton-candy sweet for my taste. Thick resinous mouthfeel, finishes fairly wet. Overall love the hops, not too keen on the sweetness, but a solid DIPA.

coldriver, Mar 24, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Big thanks to Twiggamortis420 for this bottle! Totally unexpected.

A- Very puffy collar, creamy, emulsive. Its nice and sticky, very great retention, the ranges of lacing are decent, almost great. Clear goldenrod, caramel body. Well done on that.

S- Big pine needles, not pine trees... just christmas tree needles you smell after your vacuum cleaner has sucked them up and is puffing their aroma all over the room. Its paired with juniper, a very faint grapefruit, and light orange citrus sweetness that tries its best to balance out the tremendous bitterness. There is a sharpness of alcohol towards the last quarter that is almost astringently hot.

T- Bright bitterness comes at me. Pine trees and evergreen forests, mint leaf memories, some citrus sweetness, but more like a generic caramel. Its nauseatingly sweet and overwhelmingly astringent bitter. Like the alcohol is causing an exponential amount of damage in addition to it. Not a big fan of these combination of flavors.

M- Full bodied, sticky presence, long lasting biting attacks in the back pockets of my cheeks, roof of the mouth wants to crawl off and die because of the uselessly bitter imitation pine and alcohol. A nearly 9% is a tougher drink than a 15%. Color me shocked.

It started becoming a chore to drink unfortunately.

Khazadum, Mar 23, 2012

bccocx, Mar 23, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a clear copper color. One finger of rocky, white head. The head falls to a ring that leaves patches of lacing. Gorgeous!

It smells like a wet Great Dane. There are hints of tropical fruits, some biscuit, but mainly I smell shampoo, and wet mutt. It does tickle my nose though.

I taste tea, mango, papaya, and soap. Not bad, not great!

Lighter body, the carbonation tingles my tongue. Just a bit too light.

A good beer that is a tweak or two away from being a great beer. I would drink this again, and again.

sitarist, Mar 23, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Bright amber gold glass shows excellent clarity. Holds a thin head that is a bit below expectation for a DIPA, but laces nicely.

Smell: Fresh, oily hop cones, all West Coast citric. Grapefruit with a touch of pine, the hops overwhelm any malt character which leaves me a bit concerned this may be a bitter bomb, but mmm fresh hops.

Taste: Bitter almost tea like start fades into a sweet hard candy peach before the oily hops soak in for a long slow finish. Nice round profile. Loads of hops, cone, leaf, maybe a bit of vine, they went whole hog. As I adjust to the bitter, the candy note goes a little pixie stix and gets a little distracting.

Mouthfeel: Oil spill, medium heavy body with a mild chew, lively carbonation.

Overall: A nice IPA. West Coast the way I like 'em. That middle sweet note is just a touch off in my book, but more of a preference than a flaw. Nice to have a Texan IPA go this big and bold, I can see grabbing another while it's fresh.

HardTarget, Mar 22, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip while streaming the new Mars Volta album, Noctourniquet.

Pours a mottled, rocky inch of taupe head that quickly settles to a thin wisp of bubbles and splotchy lacing. Beneath, the body is aglow with a fiery copper hue. Brilliantly clear and punctuated with a few trails of carbonation. The nose is bursting with ripe tropical fruits: mango, pineapple, starfruit. Bits of piny hops in the background with a succulent booziness. Malts smell a tad thin, but it's a minor knock.

Saint Arnold blasted it out of the stratosphere with Endeavour (pun intended). They dialed back the harsh bitterness and booziness that Divine Reserve 11 had, all the while keeping the hop flavor very much alive and very much delicious. Don't get me wrong, this IIPA will still wreck your palate, but it's a refined aggression that balances superbly with gummy alcohol esters and loads of piny, fruity, resinous hop juice. Mouthfeel is medium in body and the carbonation is tight and zesty on the tongue. I am so incredibly happy to have this beer available year-round in Texas. And for the $6.50-a-bomber price point, I might just make this my go-to IIPA when I need a hop fix. Great job, Saint Arnold!

wagenvolks, Mar 22, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to my neighbor for bringing a couple of these back from Houstan. Poured into my tulip this beer is a gorgeous dark orange, clear and a nice tight fingers worth of creamy white head with really thick legs that plaster the side of my bowl as I drink down. The nose is out of this world, crushed sweet dank hops, uber sweet tropical fruits, floral, simply amazing, one of the best smelling brews I have ever had. The flavor profile follows the nose to a tee, sweet red grapefruit, pine, a thin line of maltiness to keep it all in check, there is tangerine, mango, lemon, lime and fresh herbs in beautiful harmony. The mouth is sensational, not heavy for the 8+ abv, which by the way you never detect, it's cleansing, bright, dry and begs for more. Totally blown away by this brew, world class on every level. Available in bombers only. If you are in the distribution area for Saint Arnold and love superbly crafted Imperial India Pale Ale search this one out. It's outstanding.

OTB, Mar 21, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours a golden/copper color. Head is off-white and minimal. There is a moderate amount of sticky lacing.

S - Bittersweet. Sweet grapefruits and oranges, piney bitterness, and pineapples. Sweet and tropical.

T - More piney and bitter in the taste. Lots or grapefruit rind and a pine needle bitterness. Very bitter. Although mono toned very tasty.

M - Medium bodied, silky, tingly carbonation. No complaints.

O - An all around great DIPA. Very bitter. I guess this stuff is year round. First time I see this. This is now my favorite offering from Saint Arnold.

depechemode1983, Mar 21, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Golden/brozen color thats clear, no particulate. A 1 inch white head sits on top with excellent lacing that clings to the glass as the head slowly fades

Nose: Citrus fruits and citric acid hops with some hints of grass, the nose finishes with a clean malt note.

Taste: Citrus hops and pine-like resin. Fresh cut hay and sweet malt. I wish there was a bit more malt here.

Mouth: Flows on the tongue but has an assertive bitterness character with piney resin notes, lightly carbonated giving it just a hint of fizz

Overall: This is supposed to be a remake of the divine reserve 11, but I feel like they cut back on the malt. In any case, this is still a great IPA and I will gladly revisit this again soon

2378GCGTG, Mar 21, 2012

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

richkrull, Mar 19, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottled 2/27/12

A - Pours amber/copper with a modest ivory head. Lacing is pretty light.

S - Lots of citrus and pine with some peaches and a hint of tropical fruit in the background. Some toffee-like malt sweetness comes through as well. A very nice aroma overall.

T - Big, resinous hops are dominant. The citrus and pine sits atop a large malt backbone. A bit one-dimensional, but enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the smell of this beer more than the taste.

M - Medium-bodied with semi-dry hoppy finish. A touch of bitterness carries over into the aftertaste.

O - It's nice to see a decent DIPA made in Texas. That said, it's little more than decent. I want to love this beer, but I guess I've been spoiled by having the opportunity to try beers like Pliny, Sculpin, and Abrasive, beers that Endeavour can't stand up against. It's good, but I think it's been over-hyped by locals.

pwsoldier, Mar 19, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Domeshot14, Mar 17, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

22oz bottled 2.27

This is actually the second time I have had this beer. I didn't want to review it the first time because I had a cold and wanted to make sure my taste wasn't off.

A - Copper and orange, beautifully clear, head dissipates quickly, but leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Enticing and juicy aromas of pineapple, peach and pine citrus. Just enough malt presence.

T - Follows the nose perfectly. Tropical fruit and citrus dominate the pine. No hint whatsoever of the 8.9 abv. Finish is dry, but creamy and balanced enough not to fatigue the palate prematurely.

M - Carbonation tingles the tongue and complements the bittering hops. Just enough creaminess as stated above.

O - World class. I have had a good portion of the top 10 rated dipas and this is right up there. Congrats to St. Arnold. Today is a great day to be a Texas dipa drinker.

beer19, Mar 17, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a beautiful, hazy, dark orange color. Dark off-white head of about 2 fingers, leaving lots of sticky lace behind. Aroma has a lot of citrus, sweetness, slight grapefruit and tropical fruits, but there's also a nice level of pinyness to it. Pleasant bitterness without being Over the top. Plenty citrus fruits and tropical fruits and a touch of pine. Nice creamy feel, good carbonation, good body.

Still an excellent IPA... I think I actually like this better than 11...

EgadBananas, Mar 17, 2012

Joshgonzales79, Mar 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

ATXRyan, Mar 16, 2012

wyatt, Mar 16, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy blood orange color with. A nice white head that fades to a layering and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of hops in the form of pine, grapefruit, and lots of tropical fruits like apricot and tangerine. I also get some caramel and bready malt aromas.

T: The taste starts with a big burst of pine and bitter grapefruit then moves on to tropical fruits like pineapple, mango, and apricot. The caramel and malty flavors are in the background but they are there.

M: Feel is actually medium bodied and creamy. Not really drying like most DIPAs but it works.

O: I was a bit worried they wouldn't be able to match the awesomeness that was DR11 but this is pretty close. It's also incredibly drinkable for damn near 9%...I can't detect any of the alcohol. This is a great DIPA and I think it would stand up there with some of the bests. I will definitely buy more of these anytime I see them. This one seems to peak around 2 weeks after bottling so check the neck to make sure yours is fresh.

GregSVT, Mar 16, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Eurytos, Mar 16, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

As a Houston native, I'm proud of this beer. Put this next to a DFH 60 or 90, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference. It has that marvelous citrusy odor I love in the DFH 90, and ditto on that hoppiness with a tinge of sweetness that just lingers at the back of your tongue for a few seconds after a swallow. Just barely darker than the 90's orange. I typically am underwhelmed by Saint Arnold, so I only bought one bomber bottle - but now I'm going to really stock up.

bdcravens, Mar 15, 2012