Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPASaint Arnold Endeavour IPA

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: Kornoms on 02-29-2012

Same recipe as Divine Reserve #11.
4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled dated 2-27-12! 2 days old, officially the freshest IPA in a bottle I have ever had. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn Tulip glass. Pours a nearly transparent golden orange color. A little bit of head, about 1 finger. not much lacing as it recedes. Smell- dank citrus hops, tropical sweet aroma of mango and papaya. Smells amazing. Taste- prickly hops explode on the tongue- tight carbonation, followed by a really nice medium bodied flood of sweet mango and hop resin bitter finish. Wow! Watch out world, Houston is on the map with a great Imperial IPA. (560 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The more of these I drink, the more I like them. Super enjoyable/ drinkable brew at 8.9%. You barely notice the ABV. The hop/ malt balance is excellent, each distinguishable, but in perfect harmony, not opposition.

Not that Saint Arnie is known for being IPA innovators, but as a Texan, I can say this is probably their best IPA offering to date. So good, and a bang-for-buck winner at $6 a bomber. (400 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a moderately hazy orange-brown. There is a light tan head with decent retention. Very light spotty lacing.

S: Citrus in general and specifically orange peel are immediately present. Grapefruit is notable as well. Some pine notes and a good dose of sweet caramel malt complement each other and hint at a small touch of alcohol.

T: Bitter and floral pine are the main players here. Fairly well balanced, with caramel and toffee notes from the malt providing a nice sweetness to complement the resinous pine. Orange and citrus are still noticeable but blend in quietly between the pine and malt flavors.

M: Medium bodied and just a little oily. Carbonation is mild-moderate.

O: A well balanced IPA. Pine and citrus notes are powerful but tempered by a solid malt backbone. (824 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottled 2/27/12

A - Pours amber/copper with a modest ivory head. Lacing is pretty light.

S - Lots of citrus and pine with some peaches and a hint of tropical fruit in the background. Some toffee-like malt sweetness comes through as well. A very nice aroma overall.

T - Big, resinous hops are dominant. The citrus and pine sits atop a large malt backbone. A bit one-dimensional, but enjoyable. I definitely enjoy the smell of this beer more than the taste.

M - Medium-bodied with semi-dry hoppy finish. A touch of bitterness carries over into the aftertaste.

O - It's nice to see a decent DIPA made in Texas. That said, it's little more than decent. I want to love this beer, but I guess I've been spoiled by having the opportunity to try beers like Pliny, Sculpin, and Abrasive, beers that Endeavour can't stand up against. It's good, but I think it's been over-hyped by locals. (883 characters)

Just wanted to say, HOOKEM HORNS!

This beer is seriously good!!! The hops are tropical in the true sense, not overwhelming and cloying. The beer finishes dry, especially given the stiff malt backbone. Lacing is epic, clarity fantastic, can't get much better. This rivals MANY west coast IPA's I've had. Truly fantastic. Trade or travel for this; it will be worth it. (367 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Golden/brozen color thats clear, no particulate. A 1 inch white head sits on top with excellent lacing that clings to the glass as the head slowly fades

Nose: Citrus fruits and citric acid hops with some hints of grass, the nose finishes with a clean malt note.

Taste: Citrus hops and pine-like resin. Fresh cut hay and sweet malt. I wish there was a bit more malt here.

Mouth: Flows on the tongue but has an assertive bitterness character with piney resin notes, lightly carbonated giving it just a hint of fizz

Overall: This is supposed to be a remake of the divine reserve 11, but I feel like they cut back on the malt. In any case, this is still a great IPA and I will gladly revisit this again soon (723 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

I loved DR11. LOVED. Let's see if this hits the same high standard. Purchased a bomber in Austin at the Sunrise Mini Mart. Popping it open and sniffing the cap... yep, I'm gonna love this beer. Does this smell even better than DR11? Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours an amazingly clear orange. Nice off white head that leaves good lacing and sticks around the top of the beer. I'm trying to find faults, but it's hard. Time to stop picking nits and just give in to the 5.

The nose has been impressive from the moment I popped the cap. Pine is my first thought. Then the tropical honey-drenched pineapple comes through. This is just one heck of an inviting smell.

The taste is... a bit less sharp. Pineapple hop through the end with a clean hop bite at the end. Very, very drinkable for a IIPA. It's lacking a bit of depth in the hop flavor and it's not quite what I remember, but it's still damned good.

This beer delivered once again even though my expectation bar was extremely high. St. Arnold having this available year-round instantly improves the Texas beer market by a large amount and give us the flagship big beer that we can all throw that state pride behind. (1,198 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a chilled bottle to a beer mug; what a sight.

I have been experimenting with this hometown brewery for a little while now and I have to say that I am a believer and I see a lot of potential. In particular this beer; I think it is awesome and they outdid themselves.

It pours a reddish amber color evenly throughout, it formed a small one finger head that was short lived for the amount of beer in the glass. (It is a lot of beer for one bottle but I’ll take the challenge). Lacing lasts all the way down, it is not excessive but it is present nonetheless.

The smell!!! The Smell, it slapped me on the face with a strong tropical and citrusy aroma. It is like tangerine and sweet mandarin aromas, there are hints or grains and malts as well.

The taste follows the nose with nice complexity. Notes of orange zest, grape fruit, and a malty sweetness are present which were balanced with the bitterness of the hops and alcohol flavor in such a way that I could not stop drinking it. Hops are at the forth front and not shying away in anyway but I was impressed about how balance this beer feels.

The mouth feel is great. Full body and it coats your mouth with goodness and it also has a nice carbonation. It has a nice bitter and dry finish taste that leaves you ready for the next sip. Dangerously drinkable; it can mess you up before you know it.

It is a must have, I enjoyed this one start to finish even the last drop. I will definitely have this one again. (1,479 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 oz growler into an oversized wine glass. Deep copper color with thick sticky head that lingers. Made up of tight tiny bubbles supported by little streams from underneath.

Strong piney hop aroma with citrus notes. Flavor follows the nose. Very smooth and well balanced, not overwhelming with some late bitterness that leaves you wanting another sip rather than being turned off. I've had a lot of IPAs with this hop profile that ruin the follow through.

Creamy mouth feel that is thicker than most IPAs and really suits the beer well. All in all a great under the radar DIPA that I'm proud to have from Texas. (627 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

finally bought this one, (was a bit p;ricey for my blood)

poured from the 22 oz bomber into my new belgium goblet:

A: nice show on the pour, solid tighly bound 2 finger head and really p;retty lacing:
orangeish brew with a bit of cloudiness:

S: oh yeah the HOPS> its been awhile since I treated myself to a IPA oh man it's good pineyness

T: ipa bite of hops

M oily in a good way

D: a bit much to guzzle but do it anyway! hahaha

GOOD STUFF (448 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Gorgeous amberish gold with a nice soapy and frothy head atop. Very good lacing.

Smell: A prevalent citrus with slightly grassy and earthy tones, maybe a little peach. A nice malt sweetness also is detectable, along with some clean, fruity esters.

Taste: Classic West-Coast DIPA, big bitterness up front, then piney and citrusy hops. As the beer warmed I felt the peach flavor I described in the aroma becoming more noticeable, as well as some spice notes from the columbus. The malt is very much present, giving a nice roundness to the beer. Clean yeast with low-moderate esters.

Mouthfeel: Has a nice dry finish, but not over the top and the malt helps keep it in check

Overall: The best offering I have gotten yet from Saint Arnold, this really shows a lot of promise for their future releases. The hop character is not as huge as some DIPAs, but it is incredible well balanced and very complex. They also utilized malt not just as a body on which the hops could support themselves, but also as a contributor to the flavor. I think this beer is great, I will always pick up a couple when I am down in Houston. (1,128 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Had it out of a tulip glass. Deep gold coloring. Sticky, oily head. Hallmark double IPA stuff. Smells citrusy, not too much alcohol on the nose. Tastes like grapefruit, packed with American hops. Bitter, but not unbalanced considering other beers I've had in this style. Taste that coats the tongue. I'm giving this a high rating because it's a very nice beer, but it isn't exactly anything new. First double IPA I've had from St. Arnold (I think), and considering the less than memorable Elisa I think this is a definite improvement. (534 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to MisterGrizz who had recommended and sent this to me.

The color is a very attractive orange amber and slightly opaque. The head was huge at just above two fingers and had white foam appearance. There's lots of lacing and carbonation is visually evident.

The smell is very inviting and full of citrus hops. The hops on the nose are supported by malty sweetness.

The taste is a little different from the nose. The sweet malts are at the front, then are replaced by some hoppy bitterness. The bitterness is slightly herby, instead of citrus. The alcohol is nearly impossible to detect. I think the hops hide it well. This brew is fairly balanced

The feel closer to the light side of medium. This makes the brew fairly easy to drink for a DIPA.

I received this bottle about a month after it was bottled, so it's still very fresh. I used to have a poor opinion of Texas brews, but this one opened my eyes. Finally! A beer from Texas that is great. I recommend you get this ASAP. (988 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden-brown, with a big bubbly light-light tan head of foam on top. Lots of bubbles in the body, but not too much complexity in the body.

S: Sweet malts. Caramel. Hops. Sweet Pine. Sweet Citrus. Spices. Very sweet smelling brew with spices. A good-smelling IPA.

T: Sweet malty caramel taste with a sharp bitter finish. A little one note. There's some complexity while the beer sits on the tongue, but disappears rather quickly.

M: Medium to heavy body (got heavier as beer warmed) with really good carbonation. Nice much chewiness, and what's there really showcases the booziness. Little bit of an oily feel here. The feel is mostly hit or miss.

O: This IPA is just above average. To the appearance to the taste to the feel. It's mostly a one note brew. Not terrible or anything, but I can get better IPAs at my local grocery store. *Note -- this beer was bottled in April, so freshness might be the issue here. Tough to say. (948 characters)

When Saint Arnold released their extremely limited 11th Divine Reserve in late March of last year, beer nerds and the curious alike flocked stores and snagged whatever their limits (typically only a couple six packs) of this beer without even tasting it. By the time I chilled a bottle of DR11 and rushing around town that same eventing to snatch another sixer, they were all gone. So you can imagine the elation around Texas when Saint Arnold announced they were not only re-bottling DR11 but making it year-round and in a 22oz bomber.

Endeavour is one of the best Double IPAs I've ever had and in my humble opinion, it truly may go down as one of the best beers any Texas brewery has EVER produced. It's that good. The orangey/amber colored beer is fruity (peach, mango, satsuma, grapefruit, and pineapple) with strong piny, floral and very slightly dank/cannabis nose, some earth, lemon basil leaf, all packaged with apparent bitterness and wrapped around sweet malty flavors of toffee and caramel then finishes again with sweet citrus and stone fruit.

Outstanding and will soon be (if they stay the course and change nothing) a world-class Double IPA that truly rivals some of the best of its style, truly a very proud Texas achievement. Drink this very, very fresh.

Texas pride aside, I had this side-by-side, Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, and Heady Topper with a couple friends and Endeavour attracted amazement from each of us on how this beer not only compared but was better in some respects to those others. Pliny had the complexity of hops and clean, crisp snap but Endeavour edged out on the balance and drinkability while having a nice complexity. Abrasive and Heady Topper compared most to Endeavour. (1,721 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

This is my favorite DIPA. Got introduced to this beauty at the Avenue Pub in New Orleans. Picked up a couple of bottles from Stein's to bring back with me. My review is based on bottles.

It pours a lovely copper color with an inch of beige head that lingers and then fades and leaves a layer on the surface.

It took me a while to place the smell. To me it smells of candied citrus peel with floral backnotes.

Taste is sweet and hoppy with the afforementioned citrus and floral notes. Initial taste is sweet and then bitter as it hits the back of the tongue. Bitterness will linger. Alcohol is present but not overpowering.

Good mouthfeel with sufficient carbonation to even out the body.

Overall this is a wonderfully balanced DIPA and a great effort from the guys in Houston. Hope I get to try this at the brewery in the near future. (841 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%

Thankyou Canadianghetto for this!

Poured into my snifter and what a great white head that lingered for a while. Smell of deep citrus and sweet caremel followed by subtle boozines. No touch of booziness is there just a smooth malt build with increasing citrus hops that become more pronounced towards the end. Overall a great DIPA one of my first from the great state of Texas. Did not get to enjoy this beer on the tour was drinking a lot of the weedwacker and lawnmower! (472 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a deep Amber. Not much head. Smells like grapefruit, mango, and pine. Tastes initially sweet like pineapple and nice malt. Immediately taken over by hops. Good mouth feel with sticky resinous quality that finishes dry. Good brew. (235 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A. Amber in color with a decent head, doesn't stick around though. Little to no lacing.
S. citrus, piney woods robust sweetness, this smell is perfect
T. Imediate bitter hop flavor , the malt is subtle and is overwhelmed by hops
M. Not really bubbly, but easy and smooth, as much as can be expected from 70 + IBU's
O. A hop slam dunk, overall great smelling beer with good hops . I wish there was a six pack available though, since 16 oz is a little much for me. I enjoyed this bomber with a friend. It was just right. (518 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Very drinkable IPA. Head is solid with good lacing. Pleasant citrus smell and taste. Not too bitter. Good brew I will have again. Only drawback is the price. (158 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Very excited to try this one, it seems to be gaining traction on the boards. 22oz poured into a DFH Chalice.

A - Great looking beer. Pours a slightly hazy bright orange. Head is pillowy that settles in a nice soapy white layer. Nice legs.

S - Awesome smelling IPA. Very pungent pineapple and citrus that isn't too different than Founders Double Trouble. Maybe a little malt tucked into the back end.

T - Fantastic notes. The pineapple and citrus follow the nose. Very bright flavors and the malt, although taking a back seat, ties it all up nicely.

M - A little less fizz would be nice. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but overall a nice mouthfeel. Could stand to be a tiny bit thicker but I need to remind myself that this is not a double.

O - Wow, this one really takes me by surprise. This reminds me of the first time I had Maine Beer Co.'s IPA's, then 2 months later they started to gain steam on BA. This is totally worth trading for/seeking out. I would buy this repeatedly if it were available to me. Think Double Trouble or Sculpin. Great job Texas!

:Edit: This beer must be consumed fresh. It's one of those IPA's that loses it's boogie with time. (1,158 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First thing: WOW, this has a big hop smell which belies the hop flavor in the beer; the hop flavor is much subtler than the smell suggests. Another thing to note, there is not an overwhelming alcohol taste that you get with some other DIPA/IIPA. (247 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz brown bomber bottle
Aggressive side poured into a Saint Arnold taster glass.

A: 2 inch off-white head that slowly disappeared. Crystal clear. Slightly red-ish amber in color. Nice sticky lacing with tiny bubbles lasting to the end of the glass.
S: Hops up front followed by citrus notes and finally malt.
T: Hop are bigger up front than as indicated by the nose. Quickly moves to citrus notes including grapefruit, orange and maybe a little lime. Follows with maltiness and finally it reveals the ABV slightly. ABV is very well hidden from the smell and taste. This beer is very well balanced and is the direction I like from an American Double IPA.
M: Very nice. Biting carbonation and hop left with a barely detectable, malty warming alcohol on the back of the tongue.
O: I love this beer. It makes me happy. It is extremely well balanced and makes you want more after each mouthful or sip lingers. I recommend anyone who is a fan of AIPAs to give this one a try. Its expensive but worth the price in my humble opinion. (1,030 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Thanks to my neighbor for bringing a couple of these back from Houstan. Poured into my tulip this beer is a gorgeous dark orange, clear and a nice tight fingers worth of creamy white head with really thick legs that plaster the side of my bowl as I drink down. The nose is out of this world, crushed sweet dank hops, uber sweet tropical fruits, floral, simply amazing, one of the best smelling brews I have ever had. The flavor profile follows the nose to a tee, sweet red grapefruit, pine, a thin line of maltiness to keep it all in check, there is tangerine, mango, lemon, lime and fresh herbs in beautiful harmony. The mouth is sensational, not heavy for the 8+ abv, which by the way you never detect, it's cleansing, bright, dry and begs for more. Totally blown away by this brew, world class on every level. Available in bombers only. If you are in the distribution area for Saint Arnold and love superbly crafted Imperial India Pale Ale search this one out. It's outstanding. (981 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Firstly, I would like to thank my friend Jeremiah for sending this to me. Not normally available in CA, so this is a nice opportunity to try some out-of-state craft beer!

Unsure when it was bottled, but keep in mind that this beer spent a week on a truck from TX to CA so that may or may not have had an effect.

Poured from a 22oz bomber in to a regular pint glass.

A- Starting off, it pours an amber color, clear with a little hint of red. Very attractive. Poured carefully so there's no head.

S- Hoppy and piney. Unfortunately I've been experiencing allergies so my sense of smell isn't the greatest, but it certainly smells good.

T- Here's where it gets good. It doesn't start off with the usual hop-forward bitterness that most IPAs have. It eases in to the bitterness and hoppiness. Kind of sweet, floral and overall really well balanced. A little bit of lingering bitterness on the back end but it's not unpleasant.

M- medium body, good carbonation. Nothing excessive or exceptional.

O- Pretty damn good beer. Wish my allergies weren't acting up so I could enjoy it more, but still very good nonetheless. From what my buddy Jeremiah tells me, it's $7/bottle which is a little steep considering the local offerings here to me in CA, but still pretty good. (1,267 characters)

Saint Arnold Endeavour IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Company