Saint Arnold Homefront IPA - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 168 | Reviews: 31
Reviews by Schumatrix:
3.23/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Pours a medium amber-orange tint with an inch of creamy, white head that dissipates quickly to about a 1/4th inch head.

Smell: Citrus, piney resin, mild hop presence.

Mouthfeel: A modest amount of carbonation. I'm not getting the "very carbonated" mouthfeel that others are saying. It has a very wet finish that strangely has me wanting more, although I generally prefer a dry finish. I enjoy the lingering citrus finish.

Taste: Strong citrus (as it's brewed with zested oranges and citrus peel), grapefruit, pine, a slightly sweet malty presence towards the end, and just a dash of slightly bitter hops that make it an IPA.

Overall: It's a modest version of an IPA. Great for anyone looking to try an India Pale Ale without the usual strong presence of hop bitterness that assault the taste buds. The wet, citrus finish is nice and perfect for a hot Texas summer day. It's not a type of beer I'd normally drink since it's a little light on the bittering hops for an IPA, but it's a one time beer that will never be brewed again apparently. Very average overall, but hey it's for charity...

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a white head. The aroma has a light hint of grapefruit in it, with a dose of biscuit malt. Overall, the aroma is fairly faint which is disappointing. The flavor is also a bit restrained. I get some resinous pine and some grapefruit, along with the aforementioned biscuit malt. The bitterness is low and the hop flavors just don't come through the way they should in a West Coast IPA. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Decent, but not what I was hoping for.

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%

Doing this one because I am a Houstonian and I love the troops.

It's beautifully orange and clear. Nice looking head. The smell is wonderfully aromatic of total flower hops. Citrusy and sweet in the nose.

The taste is good. Could be a lot more balanced toward the malt. The aftertaste is extremely bitter.

Overall I like it, but not quite balanced enough.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

First off, big thanks to my friend Jeremiah for sending me this from Texas. I live in CA where St. Arnold isn't normally available, and especially considering the rarity of this particular beer, this is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime event.

I will also start off by saying that it's awesome to see a brewery doing right by the soldiers. Operation Homefront is a great organization and I suggest that you check them out and help the cause. Now, on to the beer...

Keep in mind that this bottle sat in the back of various FedEx trucks for a week while it was shipped from TX to CA, unrefridgerated. Flavors and aromas may differ from those of a fresh, local product.

A- Pours a rich amber-orange color. A careful pour means minimal head, so I can't accurately gauge that. Crystal clear.

S- I pick off notes of orange and other citrus, a little hoppy but very sweet smelling. A little floral. Overall, very inviting...

T- The nose carries through to the taste very well. Not incredibly bitter but like I said, this beer spent a week in the back of a truck going from TX to CA so the hop flavors might be a little muted. Starts off with citrus sweetness, rounds off the backside with a little hop and pine bitterness but very little of it lingers. Pretty well balanced.

M- medium body, medium carbonation. Not much else to say. Appropriate for the style of beer.

O- Very good. As somebody who's a bit spoiled by CA craft beer, this one caught me by surprise. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but this paid off in spades. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but as far as IPAs go, it's up there. Considering the limited run and the fact that St. Arnold is donating 100% of the profits to Operation Homefront, you should go pick some up *now*. This is a very good beer that's helping to support a *great* cause. If that's not reason enough to buy it, I don't know what is.

A- Bright orange to copper coloured with decent sized white head when poured into snifter. Carbonation keeps thin layer of foamy head present throughout.

S- Bitter hops (maybe pine) and orange citrus (Could be the hops, the fruit, or both).

T- Bitter upfront with a tasty orange zest coming next. Slight malt with continued bitterness.

M- Fairly thin, but smooth for an IPA. No real feel of bitterness until swallow.

O- Very tasty ... Oh, and also: U-S-A! U-S-A!

3.54/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Crustal clear body (light golden color with hints of amber), lots of carbonation and a thick white creamy head. The head sticks around for a while and is accompanied by a thin lacing.
Smell:
Grapefruit, lemon zest, slight banana and bready smells come through.
Taste:
Lemon zest and hops are up front, the malts follow and then the grapefruit sting kick in. The bitterness mellows out just after it hits the back of your throat and then a mild tart flavors kicks in during the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied with a nice carbonation kick.
Overall:
Not bad and well worth trying and good tasting.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bomber with a bottled on date of 051412 pours a crystal clear gold color with a thick head of white head. Nice retention and lacing...pretty much a great looking beer in the glass.

Nose has some great hop aromas, sticky and tropical. Malts are light and just a bit grainy, no caramel or sugar...just like I like my IPAs. Super fresh beer is always a delight to the senses...especially an IPA.

Taste is good...dank and fresh. Alot of hop flavor with just a bit of bitterness on the finish. Malt is all in the background and is biscuity and grainy. Its a good beer, not great, but the price point drives me nuts. $8 for a bomber of decent IPA? Really? I get that it is for charity, but good lord...I hope 75% goes to the troops. There are plenty of six packs that cover this ground more adequately. I will not be purchasing this one again.

4.55/5  rDev +24%

1 pInt, 6oz bottle served in Tulip Glass:
This beer pours a slightly cloudy pure gold with hints of copper to the color. The head is quick to rise and slow to settle with a final head of a shaving cream like appearance. The lacing is invisible because the head remains so thick is slopes down from the sides of my tulip glass.

The nose is sweet malts with pine and sharp hops, hints of fruit, vanilla and black pepper. The nose seems weak for as flavorful as this is but my allergies are kicking my ass so the nose is probably a lot better than I can smell right now. The notes I can smell are coming though extremely strong though. So I am erroring on the side of good to exceptional considering how compromised my sinuses are right now.

The taste is a very interesting combination of fruity meets dry with very strong hops as one would expect from an American IPA. What is great is that he hopping is not overdone as many American IPA’s are. I have no idea how they managed such contrasting flavor in such an intense fashion that doesn’t leave a lingering aftertaste, but they did it. This one had great flavors that is dominated by the blend of hops that just floats perfectly on the palate leaving you very satisfied.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky without being too heavy. Overall this one is extremely drinkable. Very satisfying and a majorly good beer from the boys and Gals at Saint Arnolds.

And one more major bonus, this beer is an Operation Homefront product. All Profits from the sale of this beer goes to goes to service members and wounded soldiers to lend assistance where it is greatly needed. The fact that I get to drink a great beer and help our soldiers and their families at the same time is just fantastic. Finally someone figured out how to bottle some patriotism.

I highly recommend it. I can’t wait to have some more.

Time to stop typing and start drinking.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Bought a bomber at HEB in Round Rock.

A light orange amber look...decent head with a hard pour into my 512 pint glass. Spotty lacing throughout and a nice thin ring remains for the duration.

Nice scent. Resinous pine, but mainly some fresh mango, grapefruit, and other assorted tropical fruits. Love that in an IPA.

Flavors of citrus initilly, and a decent malt sweetness on the background.Leaves me wanting a bit more. Doesn't quite deliver what the scent indicates it will, but a refreshing IPA nonethelsess. Good amount of carbonation...an easy summer sipper. Maybe a nice intro of an IPA for someone not wanting a tongue lashing.

Glad i tried it...but will be picking up a few more fresh Endeavours next time.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass, this arrived in Amarillo today so I'm betting it's mostly fresh. This pours a light golden color with a decent foamy head which has good retention and leaves a lacing. The smells are light and of grapefruit and caramel. The feel is medium. The taste is okay, an okay amount of hop bitterness but then this is overshadowed by the large amounts of malts, this is almost like a double ipa minus the extra hops. Not bad though, but more of an european IPA than the american version.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a light golden color with a thick off-white creamy head that has moderate retention in the glass.

S: The smell is all hops with a strong pine and lemon citrus smell. Not much else besides the hop going on here.

T: Whenever I drink an IPA for the first time, I always brace myself for a punch of bitterness that I expect. This does not have that. There is some bitterness and a slight citrus taste that is balanced by a sweet finish with just a hint of bitterness on the tongue. It is unusually balanced for an IPA.

M: A creamy thick bodied feel with medium carbonation on the tongue and a dry finish.

O: I prefer my IPA's to punch me in the face with hops and bitterness. This beer does not do that but it is still a good brew. It does not excel but it is definitely worth a shot - especially since Saint Arnold donates the profits from each sale to Operation Homefront supporting the troops and families.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a clear and crisp golden honey color with 1.5 fingers of bright white head. The head quickly retreated to a thin ring and produced some webs on my glass hear and there.

The aroma is very citrus forward with a touch of caramel malt background. Orange and lemon rind making up the majority of the aroma. I wish that it was more hop forward....

Taste follows the nose. Orange citrus hops with some pine mixed in. Not picking up any of the caramel malt on the taste but I think this is a good thing...

The mouthfeel is by and large the highlight of this beer. It is clean, crisp and has a high level of carbonation (which I think is absolutely perfect on this beer). It goes down incredibly easy.

Overall, this was a solid IPA. I read that it was meant to be more of a sessionable brew with the 6% IPA and I think that in that aspect they hit the nail on the head. I'm already almost done with the bomber and I haven't really noticed until now. I still wish this would have been more of a citrus hop bomb a la Zombie Dust but it is what I expected it to be, nothing amazing but definitely solid.

Cheers!

2.26/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with red colour branded pry-off pressure cap and appealing label art acquired at a local bottle shop for $6.99 USD and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Reviewed as an IPA for obvious reasons.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decent complexion and consistency. Little lacing clings to the sdies of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is pretty decent - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a dull murky unappealing brown. Littered with yeasty sediment. Lacks any vibrance whatsoever; very drab and off-putting. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it looks pretty awful for the style. I'm dreading the first sip.

Sm: Generic floral hops. Stale pale malts. Really bland and boring. Not a great aroma for an IPA by any means.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. This beer is shaping up to be pretty bad. Aroma is of light to mild strength.

T: Floral hops. Detergent. Pale malts. Some unwelcome biscuity yeast. Some caramalt. Maybe a hint of grapefruit? It comes off dirty and stale overall. Wait, is that...maple? In an IPA? Is it amateur hour?

That's really about it; there's very little happening here. Bland and boring as all hell.

Below average depth and duration of flavour. Average intensity of flavour. Lacks any complexity, subtlety, intricacy, or nuance whatsoever. The yeasty floaties aren't doing it any favours; some filtration would greatly benefit this beer. Unbalanced. Painfully simple. The build lacks cohesion.

No overt alcohol comes through.

Mf: Overcarbonated and biting. Generally smooth and wet. Medium-bodied. Somewhat thick. Unrefreshing. Horrid presence on the palate. This texture doesn't suit the taste well at all, really. Poorly executed. A bit astringent, actually.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: This is an insult to the charitable contributions the beer is set up to back. Really a poor IPA. I can't believe Saint Arnold let this go to market, especially given the organisation it's meant to benefit. Possibly the worst IPA I've had this year. I'd caution friends from getting it, and will be avoiding it in the future. The low quality makes it fairly difficult to down. Could hide its ABV better. A real disappointment from Saint Arnold.

Low D+

3.92/5  rDev +6.8%

I am moving to Florida this weekend and was glad to be in Houston for this release. As someone who served in the Air Force, I really appreciate this charity.

My gut here is that this recipe played it "safe" and is aiming at pleasing the majority. With that said, this is still a decent IPA and very sessionable.

A-amber-golden hue. Head dissipates quickly.

M-Very carbonated. This is very refreshing and I could drink a bunch of these by the pool. Light mouth feel.

T-The front is where I get all the grapefruit and orange peel. The citrus quickly fades and becomes a well-balanced IPA. The beer has a very clean finish--not dry at all. My palette stays wet and keeps me wanting more.

Well done, Saint Arnold. Really interested in comparing the Cigar City's version of this. Not sure if it's the same recipe or not.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Homefront is a great Saint Arnold brew. A single batch brew that they usually do once a year. Pours a cloudy orange with a finger head. Smells of citrus. Hops still there with the citrus taste. Overall a solid IPA and also supports our troops because 100% of the proceeds go to the military.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Served chilled into a tulip.

Pours a hazy light orange color with an inch of airy beige colored head that slowly recedes.

Aromas of grapefruit and pine with a mineral background. As it warmed I also picked up guava.

Flavors of pine and candied citrus peel. Similiar to Endeavor, but more subdued.

Mouthfeel is medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall a good IPA for a good cause. Only downside is nothing in the profile really stuck out for me.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a golden amber color with a 1/4" white head.

S: Lightly sweet malt with a good does of hops.

T: Lightly sweet malts up front. Slightly bitter hops with a large dose of orange and other citrus.

M: Medium bodied, average carbonation.

O: A decent IPA. Very drinkable.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a half-liter mug, this is a light-colored copper beer with a medium head. Plenty of citrus in the nose, though not much else. Better on taste, which is naturally dominated by the hops, offering citrus, leafy notes, and quite a bit of bitterness. A light but solid malt presence comes through. A tad fruity but mostly clean, yeast-profile-wise.

Solid, drinkable IPA, though the price tag is a high.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

First off, cheers to St. Arnold for a non-profit brew to help military families. I'm happy with my purchase even before I taste the beer.

Appearance: Pale gold glass, very clear, holds a film of foam that gives up a touch of lace.

Smell: Floral hops, rose, with some fresh cut grass. Perfume quality that lets through a lot of sweetness.

Taste: Some citric rind hops in the taste, light, mostly lime peel that goes a bit candied in the finish. Sweet white bread malt punches through firmly leaving the package pretty balanced, like a flavorful APA, or a weaker IPA.

Mouthfeel: Gassy, strong carbonation but a fairly thick body to keep it from going fizzy. Dry finish.

Overall: A real lime quality here that's fairly appealing, but I think I would have been happier with this marketed as a strong APA rather than a light IPA. Held up to IPA standards, this is a bit weaksauce, but it's a fine, tasty APA.

Looking through the website, it's orange zest I'm tasting rather than lime, and they used 6 maple Louisville sluggers in the bright beer tank (http://www.saintarnold.com/news/index.html#homefront).
Awesome!

The profits go to a great cause, so buy a couple of bombers to support it. That being said, this is just an average IPA at best. Nothing much to offer in a detailed review. I'll just some up that while I enjoy the orange zest that was added to attempt to create some interest in this recipe, it just falls way short of what I've come to expect from this brewery. Come on guys, you can do, and have done much better than this.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brewed as part of a charitable cause for Operation Homefront, this beer pours to a light orange/tan color with a well- filtered body that is completely see- through without a hint of haze. The nose on this beer is one of floral and citrus and the head of foam is nice at first and does leave some lacing as you consume.

Tasting this ale reveals about what one would expect based on the aroma, with some nice citrus notes and a malty backbone that is biscuit- like, bready, and mild. In fact, the entire beer could be described as a milder IPA with a very fresh flavor and an active carbonation that makes it good for summer refreshment. The finish is a little on the dry side and a tad alcoholic, but the beer is still, overall, milder than the average IPA.

Saint Arnold brewed this beer as part of a charity fundraiser and utilized the donations of many different businesses and individuals to bring the beer to market. One surprising “ingredient” used was six Louisville slugger bats, added to the beer tank. I can’t say that I can detect any added flavor from the wood, but perhaps my palate simply can’t find it. What I definitely can taste, however, is the orange zest used in the process. The citrus flavor is the first thing you taste and it sticks with you throughout the experience, even though other flavors still vie for your attention.

This is a good beer overall and a nice charitable act on the part of Saint Arnold Brewery. Supplies are very limited, so if you want a bottle, you need to act quickly. Only a single batch was brewed and once the bottles dissappear from the store shelves, you will not find it again.

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a hazy orange with a finger of off-white head. Big aroma of grapefruit, caramel, and tangerine.

Moderate carbonation and a lightish mouthfeel. Biscuit, gentle orange, and light caramel up front with a good dose of pine on the finish.

Drinks much lighter than the aroma indicates, with less citrus than expected. More dry and pine-dominated. Pleasant but not amazing.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a crisp clear pale gold with a big bubbly head of cream colored foam on top. Lots of bubble action in the body. Very clean body -- no sediment. Not a lot of complexity in the color of the brew. But decent preliminary lacing.

S: Some sweet caramel malt and some citrusy orangey/grapefruit aroma too. Kind of heavy on the malt and light on the hops though. I like an IPA that blows my nose away, and this isn't that.

T: Very fruity and floral in the flavor. Passion fruit, pears -- with a malt backbone. The taste is good considering what they have to work with, but I like something with a little more hops, lemon, grapefruit, orange, pine flavor. But, this is good.

M: Smooth an creamy; nicely carbonated. Not as oily or velvety as I like. Minimal chewiness. Medium body. Kind of average to me.

O: Decent beer for a great cause. I'd try all the Homefront brews if I could. I'd certainly recommend it, but there are better IPAs out there for sure.

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a nice white head that fades to a layering and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is full of tropical fruits like pineapple, apricot, and mango along with a bit of pine and some sweet malt aromas.

T: The taste is similar to the nose with a lot of tropical fruits and sweet malt with a bit of pine and hop bitterness on the finish. Could use a bit more bitterness but it may be a bit older by now.

M: The feel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: Pretty good IPA that I'd like to see on the shelves more often. I was a bit surprised by this one as it's not too hoppy and has the big tropical fruit characteristics that I like in an IPA.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle courtesy of SSW117. Poured into Founders snifter.

A- Pours a golden slightly brownish with about a finger's worth of white head that dissipates to a very thin layer. About average carbonation. Leaves some nice layered lacing.

S- Light Maple, oak, malts, a little bit of hops, lightly sweet, definitely below average aroma strength.

T- Very lightly sweet maple, some vanilla oak, a little bit of lemon, a little bit of hops balanced with malts. Finishes with a light vanilla lemon taste. Not your typical IPA, but definitely interesting.

M- Light, refreshing, not too much carbonation, easy to drink.

O- Definitely not like your average IPA. You can definitely get a little bit of the maple and vanilla oak from the aging on the maple bats which is balanced nicely with the light lemon taste from the hops and the malts. Definitely not my favorite IPA, but I actually kind of like it- definitely unique.

to view more.