Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 197 | Reviews: 36
Reviews by TX-Badger:
3.07/5  rDev -17.9%

I opened a 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - This pours a hazy orangeish amber, not much head to speak of on the pour.

S - On the nose I get some light spice, small amount of hops, caramel malt.

T - On the palate I get the same as what I was smelling. The spices are very subtle, you almost have to be looking for them. The hops aren't overly noticeable, but the caramel malt gives way to toffee and caramel flavors. Sweet on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied and it seemed to be noticeably carbonated

O - This is interesting, it is only my second time trying a Divine Reserve from St. Arnold. I think that this beer tastes extremely young and age will do it wonders. I have another five bottles from a six pack that I purchased and plan on letting them sit for quite a while before opening another one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a deep amber, with a thin white head that doesn't stick around for long. The smell is one part crystal malt and one part mysterious funk, something I haven't noticed in any Saint Arnold brew before. The flavor is much more complex: dark rum with hints of toffee up front followed by dried apricot and alcohol. This definitely has the flavor profile of a autumn/winter seasonal. There's a long funky aftertaste that I don't know if I like. The mouthfeel is rather slick and accompanied by alcohol warmth. Overall, this is pretty good but rough around the edges. I think a year or two of in the "cellar" will turn this into an excellent sipping beer.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

The beer pours an amber color with a white head and a lot of bubbles. The aroma has some cherry and grape notes, as well as some caramel, toffee and alcohol notes. The flavor is very similar. The caramel and dark fruit notes are very heavy up front, with a little bit of toffee and some earth notes hidden in the background. I also get a little bit of cinnamon and some other peppery notes in the flavor. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a tulip glass a golden amber with barely any head. I had to agitate it a little to get a head and bring out a scent. I can't get much of a scent off of it, but my nose is weak. I sence some sweetness. The taste is rather weak for the style, some sweet carmel and that's about it. There's a very slight licorice after taste. The mouthfeel is low in carbonation, medium bodied, and high in alcohol.

Yeah, this is not Divine by any definition of the word.

I'd rather wish SA would stop using the winning home brew recipies for every other DR, because they're NEVER as good as what Brock can come up with on his own.

3.67/5  rDev -1.9%

(Served in a teku)
A- This beer pours a hazy dark orange body with a thick ring of bubbly beige and a very faint pfsst hint is all that was heard when I twisted the cap off.

S- The woody caramel aroma has a slight sweet wort note to it with a sweet ester sugar note in the finish. The aroma is very light but also quite mysterious.

T- The slightly dry caramel turns to a sweet candy hint. There is some wet wood oxidation taste and some slight tartness in the finish. A light citrus juice note comes through in the aftertaste. There is an alcohol taste that grows and cuts the sweetness quite a bit as it opens up.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a full alcohol warmth and a fizz in the finish that gives a fullness texture without being fizzy.

O- This has some characteristics of a miabock and hints of a light barleywine with a soft sweetness and a full alcohol. The flavor and aroma were both pretty soft and I just couldn’t get behind this beer. There were moments it was tasty and then it was more odd characters like the oxidation or the tartness or citrus that outweighed the tasty. Thanks to Thickfreakness for sending to me it was fun to try.

3.29/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Wispy surface.

Smell - Slightly fruity. A lot of caramel. A little estery. Clovey and some banana.

Taste - More fruit. Drier caramel. Earthy hops in the back. Musty finish.

Mouthfeel - Dry with just a hint of bitterness. No booze and medium low carbonation.

Overall - Decent just not very interesting.

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

I, like many other Texas BA's, spent the time to track down and purchase the latest DR release from St. Arnolds. I stashed away all I purchased with the intent of aging for at least one year per SA's advice, and forwarded that advice to my trading partners to whom I had sent some bottles. I was not interested in trying any 'fresh' until receiving one in a local trade, which I had stashed away in the fridge. Well, tonight I decided to open one up and see what the (non)fuss was all about.
The beer poured a copper-amber color with about a 1/4 inch off white head, which lasted a bit longer than expected. The aroma was one of sweet malts, I swear a touch of bubblegum, some breadiness and a slight metallic note.
The taste followed the nose, which was a slightly sweet, malty, bready taste with a touch of dried fruit. Mouthfeel was perfect...medium body and spot on carbonation.
Overall, this was very acceptable. It is not BAD. It is drinkable at this stage. Although not an expert by any means, I can see where this beer develops over time into a very nice ale. But if you can't wait, it is enjoyable at its young age.

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 has a thin, cream-colored head, a brilliant, yet somewhat murky, orange appearance with decent lacing and a lot of tiny little bubble steams. The aroma is faint, but one does pick up fruit juice of some sort. Taste is of fruit, with a surprisingly low bitterness, some faint malt, and that’s about it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Saint Arnold Divine Reserve 12 finishes semi-dry, mild, and drinkable. No real alcohol presence is detected here. Overall, it’s lovely, and I rate it highly. Get some!

RJT

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

I've already had a few beers in me and I've already let this beer warm up. So it's a clear orange-ruby color in this wacky light I'm in. It smells of Brett, dried red apple, sherry, my moustach, a lil alky, and lies. The flavor profile is full of exquisite dehydrated fruits, bubble gum, blush wine, a nice subtle hop-bittered finish, and deception. It's a moderately carbonated medium-leaning-on-full bodied brew. I've never had Divine on tap so this is quite the great as me and babe Amanda sipple off it's teet. Now I'm sure Saint Arnold Brewing Co. made a good sum of cash for the sales of this brew. Funny because this wasn't their recipe. They "allowed" a homebrew winner to have their beer made by this brewery for winning a local competition. Funny cuz to me that sounds like making money off of someone else's hard work. But thats just me

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Also thanks to thanks to ApostleBrewing as well as dcloeren for this one as I just had a Jester King beer that came from them as well, coincidence.

Pours a decent fizzy almost 1 finger head, not bad for 10% abv, fades at a med pace with little lacing, hazy, slight suspended particulate, amber nectar orange color.

Nose starts like candy, butterscotch toffee, slight peanut brittle, candy syrup, sweet malty, reddish malts, hint of clean booze, light fruity touch as well, not much else though.

Taste starts with more candy, sweet slightly syrupy candy, light toffee and brittle, light apple fruit and candy apple flavor. Booze cuts in and let's you know with warming tingly booze but clean, some nutty caramel with the syrupy sweetness, rich buttery toffee comes out more on the back end. Finish is semi syrupy sticky with an anesthetizing booze feel, lingering nutty and buttery toffee, caramel, just a touch of earthy bitterness even slight creamy caramel and creamed honey.

Mouth is med to fuller bodied, plenty of warming tingly booze, decent carb.

Overall not bad, but nothing special. It's more like a big candy beer than anything, with the sticky sweetness, syrupy flavors, lots of toffee and brittle like flavors, pretty sweet as expected. Not much for the nice malty flavors though, esp aged soft malt characters I expect in a good old ale, but otherwise not too bad.

3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle poured (without decanting) into a stemmed pilsener (beer tulip) glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, dark amber with a small, foamy tan head. Some lacing and plenty of suspended sediment.

Smell: Sweet cereal, caramel.

Taste: Malty, caramel and a bit boozy. Lightly peppery and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and relatively mild carbonation.

Overall: A drinkable, warming ale, but not specifically compelling.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Served in a Freetail 2012 shaker pint glass.

Thanks to twiggamortis420 for this bottle!

The underside of the cap instructs me to "Get a Head". As if that wasn't the goal of every man at all times anyway... So, yeah, this stuff pours a clear bronze-amber topped by a half-finger at best of sad little off-khaki suds. The nose comprises buttery biscuit, light melon, light grapefruit peel, and a few drops of dried maple syrup. The taste holds notes of maple syrup, caramel, honeydew, orange peel, light toasted bread, and a strong surge of straight-up booze. This last bit ruins things, as it washes over and o'ercolors all else, leaving only a bludgeon of alcohol to have its way with my tongue. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a generally smooth feel. Overall, I felt this old ale overdid it a bit with its alcohol presence, with little else going on in the background. Not my cup o' tea, right here.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

I'm not really sure what all is going on with this beer. There seems to be a lot. Very different from anything I"ve had before.

I picked up a six pack and a bomber. This was my first bottle to open. I think I'm going to age the rest for the next year and see where it goes.

There were a lot of different flavors going on and I had some trouble differentiating... I don't claim to be an expert.

Overall I liked this beer, but I want to see where it goes.

Love Saint Arnold as a brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Casked DR12 tapping at Hay Merchant

A: Not perfectly clear, a bit murky. Copper in color with a creamy off white head. Slightly different character than when i had it from the keg.

S: Fresh, lemon grass, hoppy, fruity. A touch of pickled ginger.

T: Taste follows the smell. Hops are present. Citrus, crisp, and refreshing. Undoubtedly smoother in flavor out of the cask. Reminds me of Endeavor a bit. Mild bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth as silk from the cask. Markedly different than the keg offering.

O: A good beer. The ratings are weak but i still came out for the cask tapping because its a decent brew. Reminds me of an IPA overall.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Got this as an extra in a trade and have been cellaring for quite some time now. It has a sweet caramel flavor throughout and as it warms I'm getting some smoky flavors as well. Aging has definitely rounded out the edges here but it has a pecuilar peppery finish that I'm not the biggest fan of. Still, it's a quality beer and my first old ale to date.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1533rd Review on BA
Bottle to Snifter
12oz

2012 Release
Thanks to Lnashsig for this

App- A vibrant glowing orange with a big clear density in the glass. A small 1/2" of off white head that fell quickly. More bubbles around the edges.

Smell- This is a prickly smelling beer. Its very boozy with a big citrus and grass note. A full hop note with a big bitter aroma to back it up.

Taste- Well I had much higher hopes for this one. Its a good malt base with a thick citrus and boozy addition as the backing flavors. It feels like an old ale but very bitter and prickly with a dish soap flavor.

Mouth- A big thick medium body with a prickly medium carbonation. Its a bit too bitter and citrusy and needs to mellow out.

Drink- I believe this is a good beer. Its just too fresh right now and needs to mature as a beer. Prickly and boozy but the flavors need time. Malty and citrusy like an old ale but just lacking right now.

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for hooking me up with a six pack of this.

A: I know there has been some problems with sludge/gunk in some bottles. This poured a perfectly clear reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms and recedes in a second. No lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: Up front there is a slight woodyness in the aroma. Some dried tobacco leaves. Then caramelized malt and plenty of sweetness.
T: Again, up front is wood and tobacco leaves. Caramel malt and very sweet. Plenty of alcohol as well.
T: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. The alcohol is heavy, mixed with the sweetness, and this is hard to drink. I might not finish the bottle.

Without a doubt this is the worst DR that has been released fresh in my opinion. I don't know if it will get better with age, but I will have no problem holding on to the rest of my bottles to see. As is not something I care to come back to. Which is a shame because I am usually a big fan of t he DR's, and the style..

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

massive thanks goes out to chf64...brad is the man. sent me a few bottles of this just because i mentioned in passing that it interested me. that's advocacy. enjoyed from my SH snifter.

a - brew poured a semi-transparent ruby mahogany orange. a thin skin of white bubbly head was gone almost as soon as a set my glass down post pour leaving a small ring around the surface of the beer and a cluster of bubbles in the corner. lacing was spotty and slippery and didn't cling to the glass much at all.

s - some zesty autumn spices and sweetness. hints of bubblegum and almost belgian yeast. caramel vanilla. very malt forward. cereal...corn pops to be specific. not very old ale like, but not bad.

t - again, cereal...corn pops to be specific. some vanilla and caramel. fairly unique, but at the same time fairly mediocre.

m - medium bodied...you can feel the heat in the mouth. tingles nicely. medium to light bodied.

o - overall, not a bad beer...this is not the best old ale in the world, but for just being a beer. this isn't bad at all. slightly festive. seems like a fall beer despite the cap saying "Happy Holidays" but Halloween is a holiday.

If I could describe this beer in a single sentence it would be... "Angel Piss in a Glass"

Cold, Fresh and On Tap (keg), It has the perfect mouthfeel, the taste is slightly creamy and buttery...yeasty if you will and this bad boy packs a wallop!!! - Have a DD on hand if you're having more then 2. From Cask it's just a little sweeter and more lacing then a Victoria's Secret Catalog.

This is one of the best things to come from Saint Arnold and is hands down one of the Top 5 Beers in all of Texas, Ever. The only thing SA has done on par with this is Bishop's Barrel No. 1

With all of that said, From a bottle....it's not nearly as good - All the Cream and Butter is gone from it.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Thanks to fatbeats18 for this one

A: rust color in appearance, creates about ½ fingers worth of head that is pure white with mild lacing.

S: I get a musty wood aroma, nutmeg, some berries, a slight touch of toffee and a tinge of vanilla. I also pick up on some orange peel. Very weird mixture of aromas.

T: several different characters are present but all are subtle. I pick up on some toffee, oak, spices, very very mild dark fruits, alcohol and vanilla. I also pick up on a slight bitter hop note that pulls away the nice sweetening flavors in this brew.

M: medium bodied (fitting for the style). It doesn’t leave much of a feel or taste on the lips or palate in terms of flavor. But I do find the alcohol to sit around a bit too long.

O: nothing really stands out in this brew other than its weird complexity. There seems to be many aspects to this brew, but the components simply do not come out the way they should (even to the point where I doubt age will really help it out any, but I could be completely wrong). It’s a decent brew at best, and I’m thankful to have tried it since I do not have access to it.

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Arrives with a clear amber color capped by a nice head that leaves a curtain of lace

Smell: Caramel, figs, raisins along with hints of candied orange and vanilla

Taste: Caramel and dark fruit, up front, with a developing herbal, candied orange aspect; after the swallow, the sweetness becomes a bit cloying, though there is some offset from the herbal flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This beer has some interesting elements bu the full package clashes rather than complements

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, fruit, and slight smoke aromas. Taste is much the same with fruit and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earthy bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice caramel and fruit aspect going on.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got this beer from my dear beerbuddy Robert (Torino). Thanks Robert. Poured this one in my De Molen tasting glass. Nice golden yellow fluid. Got some heavy pouring to do to get some head. Very light carbonation, little lacing.

Floral smell far away with some anice hints. Good mouthfeel. A decent drinkable beer but not too spectacular. The alcohol is pretty well hidden.

4.19/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date on 7/12/12, if I read it correctly.

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for this one. Imported from Texas!

This pours an amber-caramel color with a thin ring of foam.

The hops have faded on this, leaving behind a boquet of caramel and malt notes. It’s stickly piney, with a sweet finish.

The flavor is fairly mellow, with a rounded piney resin, and some light toasted coconut and almond notes.

The body holds up, and it warms well enough to savor for a spell. Certainly the Divine Reserve series is a high point of the St. Arnold stable and this does not disappoint.

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Little head. Color is a clear golden color.

Very sweet and malty. Not a big taste profile. Just kind of boozy and malty. Caramel and some bready flavors. Maybe some citrus blended in.

Full bodied and hot. Ends sticky.

Overall, not really my type of old ale. It's kind of like a golden old ale. Odd.

to view more.