Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #12

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Verecund on 08-01-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
cervezatejas

09-25-2012 02:45:35 | More by cervezatejas
cosmicevan

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

massive thanks goes out to chf64...brad is the man. sent me a few bottles of this just because i mentioned in passing that it interested me. that's advocacy. enjoyed from my SH snifter.

a - brew poured a semi-transparent ruby mahogany orange. a thin skin of white bubbly head was gone almost as soon as a set my glass down post pour leaving a small ring around the surface of the beer and a cluster of bubbles in the corner. lacing was spotty and slippery and didn't cling to the glass much at all.

s - some zesty autumn spices and sweetness. hints of bubblegum and almost belgian yeast. caramel vanilla. very malt forward. cereal...corn pops to be specific. not very old ale like, but not bad.

t - again, cereal...corn pops to be specific. some vanilla and caramel. fairly unique, but at the same time fairly mediocre.

m - medium bodied...you can feel the heat in the mouth. tingles nicely. medium to light bodied.

o - overall, not a bad beer...this is not the best old ale in the world, but for just being a beer. this isn't bad at all. slightly festive. seems like a fall beer despite the cap saying "Happy Holidays" but Halloween is a holiday.

09-20-2012 04:12:39 | More by cosmicevan

bkrbdan

08-25-2012 18:10:54 | More by bkrbdan
turfy

3.45/5  rDev -8%

I, like many other Texas BA's, spent the time to track down and purchase the latest DR release from St. Arnolds. I stashed away all I purchased with the intent of aging for at least one year per SA's advice, and forwarded that advice to my trading partners to whom I had sent some bottles. I was not interested in trying any 'fresh' until receiving one in a local trade, which I had stashed away in the fridge. Well, tonight I decided to open one up and see what the (non)fuss was all about.
The beer poured a copper-amber color with about a 1/4 inch off white head, which lasted a bit longer than expected. The aroma was one of sweet malts, I swear a touch of bubblegum, some breadiness and a slight metallic note.
The taste followed the nose, which was a slightly sweet, malty, bready taste with a touch of dried fruit. Mouthfeel was perfect...medium body and spot on carbonation.
Overall, this was very acceptable. It is not BAD. It is drinkable at this stage. Although not an expert by any means, I can see where this beer develops over time into a very nice ale. But if you can't wait, it is enjoyable at its young age.

08-24-2012 01:14:33 | More by turfy
tut2528

2.9/5  rDev -22.7%

Thanks to fatbeats18 for this one

A: rust color in appearance, creates about ½ fingers worth of head that is pure white with mild lacing.

S: I get a musty wood aroma, nutmeg, some berries, a slight touch of toffee and a tinge of vanilla. I also pick up on some orange peel. Very weird mixture of aromas.

T: several different characters are present but all are subtle. I pick up on some toffee, oak, spices, very very mild dark fruits, alcohol and vanilla. I also pick up on a slight bitter hop note that pulls away the nice sweetening flavors in this brew.

M: medium bodied (fitting for the style). It doesn’t leave much of a feel or taste on the lips or palate in terms of flavor. But I do find the alcohol to sit around a bit too long.

O: nothing really stands out in this brew other than its weird complexity. There seems to be many aspects to this brew, but the components simply do not come out the way they should (even to the point where I doubt age will really help it out any, but I could be completely wrong). It’s a decent brew at best, and I’m thankful to have tried it since I do not have access to it.

08-23-2012 02:01:39 | More by tut2528
scm2787

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

08-22-2012 01:58:32 | More by scm2787
acevenom

Louisiana

4.2/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a goblet. The beer pours a darker shade of slightly hazy amber with numerous streaming bubbles in the beer. There is a briefly lived thin off-white head. A pour of the entire contents leaves the beer slightly hazy. The beer smells very sweet from the abundant malt. There's a smell that reminds me of bubblegum. There's plenty of malt in this taste, bringing sweet qualities to this beer. There is that bubblegum I picked up in the smell and some bittering and earthy hops in the back end. This blends into a mildly sweet and earthy aftertaste, though it becomes more bready as it warms and the aftertaste lingers longer. I can also pick up the alcohol, but which also becomes more noticeable as it warms. The flavors are actually quite complex and well balanced. The yeast characteristics start to poke through more as the beer warms and more bready flavors appear. The body is medium with plentiful carbonation. The finish is slightly dry. For such a young old ale, this is very solid. It can only improve with age, so I'm glad I invested in a six pack.

08-20-2012 23:03:56 | More by acevenom

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

08-14-2012 17:53:47 | More by PhatAtUT
champ103

2.85/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to my buddy Dave for hooking me up with a six pack of this.

A: I know there has been some problems with sludge/gunk in some bottles. This poured a perfectly clear reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms and recedes in a second. No lace. Looks pretty lifeless.
S: Up front there is a slight woodyness in the aroma. Some dried tobacco leaves. Then caramelized malt and plenty of sweetness.
T: Again, up front is wood and tobacco leaves. Caramel malt and very sweet. Plenty of alcohol as well.
T: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Really thin and watery. The alcohol is heavy, mixed with the sweetness, and this is hard to drink. I might not finish the bottle.

Without a doubt this is the worst DR that has been released fresh in my opinion. I don't know if it will get better with age, but I will have no problem holding on to the rest of my bottles to see. As is not something I care to come back to. Which is a shame because I am usually a big fan of t he DR's, and the style..

08-13-2012 23:28:58 | More by champ103
jeffcook

08-12-2012 18:43:08 | More by jeffcook
whoneeds8

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a tulip glass a golden amber with barely any head. I had to agitate it a little to get a head and bring out a scent. I can't get much of a scent off of it, but my nose is weak. I sence some sweetness. The taste is rather weak for the style, some sweet carmel and that's about it. There's a very slight licorice after taste. The mouthfeel is low in carbonation, medium bodied, and high in alcohol.

Yeah, this is not Divine by any definition of the word.

I'd rather wish SA would stop using the winning home brew recipies for every other DR, because they're NEVER as good as what Brock can come up with on his own.

08-11-2012 00:23:40 | More by whoneeds8