Bishop's Barrel 1 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Bishop's Barrel 1Bishop's Barrel 1

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: PhatAtUT on 11-06-2012)

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Not quite black. No real head. Pretty transparent. Wispy surface but not much else.

Smell - Nutty and lots of caramel. Some roast. Some bourbon. Molasses.

Taste - Just a bit of sweetness up front. Nutty caramel. Light chocolate. Some bourbon. Not much barrel character. Odd nutty caramel flavor.

Mouthfeel - Dry and medium body. Not too sweet.

Overall - Poor beer came after Grey Monday. Never gonna live up. This has a weird nutty flavor. Maybe I'd like it better in the early evening.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

A- Pitch black, little to no head.
S- Boozy boozy boozy. A tiny bit of cocoa nibs come through.
T- Tastes hot. Like an old DR with half a shot of Bourbon. Too Much, needs to be aged.
M- Much thinner than expected. Light carbonation.
O- Needs a year or more of additional aging. Hopefully BB2 will be more drinkable upon release.

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

I tried this one in a bottle at a bottle share with friends and I was not impressed. We poured it from a bottle and it looked and smelled like it was going to be as good as expected, but no dice. The look was that of a robust stout with a thin tan head and the aroma was instantly noticable bourbon. There was a faint hint of vanilla that quickly faded. However, the taste was more of a thin, raisiny porter not a robust stout as I have remembered from earlier versions of the whiskey stout. It definitely has a cocoa flavor as it warms, though. The mouthfeel was definitely bourbo and it goes down easily, leaving a slight aftertaste with bits of the bourbon. To me it did not resemble the Tatanka stout they used in earlier versions that seemed thicker, and got me started on some whiskey barrel brews. I had high hopes for this, and maybe I need one more to change my mind, but from what I tasted I left feeling a bit let down.

Bottle date was 10/29/12

I thought the first bottle I had was a hot mess back when it came out in 2012, way too much bourbon. I held back on my second bottle. I believe it was a little too long in the cellar.

The beer pours a dark almost opaque black with a dark tan head. Lacing was not significant. Little brown dots appeared on the surface of the beer, leading me to believe oxidation was beginning to set in. Aroma was very subdued, lacked the heavy bourbon characteristic I experienced two years ago.

Taste was underwhelming. Bourbon had subsided, no alcohol burn but it felt like I was tasting a splintered finished product. The beer lacked any pronounced flavors other than subtle bourbon. No discernible chocolate or coffee flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel was light and hurt the overall experience.

If I were you and you had a bottle left, drink it now. Not much time left to really enjoy it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a khaki head. The aroma has a lot of whiskey notes, as well as some roasted malt and oak. The flavor is boozy chocolate and roasted malt up front, with some whiskey, maple, oak and vanilla notes in the background. You can get notes from both the base stout as well as the barrel aging. My only complaint is the mouthfeel, which is too thin for my liking. Medium carbonation.

Photo of
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Bishop's Barrel 1 from Saint Arnold Brewing Company