Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #13 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #13Saint Arnold Divine Reserve #13

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Onslow on 03-19-2013)

spycow, Apr 08, 2013
2.44/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a Westmalle Chalice black with a very thin white head that went away fairly quickly.

Listen, I have a bad nose. But I can't get any scent off this quad. That's bad if MY nose can't get anything off a quad.

I got to say, the taste just isn't anything great either. This is really disappointing for something Divine. Three Philosophers has more going for it than this does.

I thought DR8 was my least favorite, but that might be because I'm not a scotch ale fan. But this is . . . .

THE WORST DIVINE RESERVE YET!!!

Come on Brock, I expect better out of you.

whoneeds8, Apr 08, 2013

Heretic42, Apr 01, 2013

ShameAndFailure, Mar 31, 2013

melissajtai, Mar 31, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Looks really dark red with a thin head that lingers very nicely. Perfect.

This thing smells amazing. Im thinking plums and maybe some smoke. I only dock it a bit because it might become overpowering.

I first get gingerbread. That was my first impression. Just a hint of alcohol, but this 11% ABV beer is sneaky. The alcohol is hidden really well.

I can't imagine a better mouthfeel in a beer. Full body and just the right amount of carbonation.

I don't always like Belgian style ales, but this is damn good. As much as I have liked past Divine Reserve beers (especially the 11) this is what this series was made for. Well done Saint Arnold. Big, complex, flavor-filled beer for beer lovers.

kyleelton, Mar 30, 2013

ButtMax, Mar 28, 2013

brin611, Mar 28, 2013

SanAnMan, Mar 27, 2013

Magery, Mar 27, 2013

ChaseTheAce, Mar 26, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Annually, beer enthusiasts all over Texas welcome St. Arnold's Divine Reserve with open arms. With a new recipe that never seems to disappoint, the Houston brewery creates a beer that flies off the shelf within a week.

Notes: Pours a dark, deep garnet with minimal, dissipating head and no lace. Nose was all-around mild, with no apparent overtone, but rather a collection of subtleties: booze, malt, dark fruits, with a phenolic back end. Flavor improved with warmth, introducing with spice, heavy on the dark fruits that envelop the palate after the sip. Carbonation is a bit too heavy, allowing the imbiber to only taste the beer's potential on the back end.

Divine Reserve 13 lived up to it's predecessors in hype, but fell just a tad bit short in satiating its buyers.

genitempo, Mar 26, 2013

Bearman13, Mar 26, 2013
4.51/5  rDev +8.9%

Impressive offering in the flood of quadruples coming out of Texas recently. Had it in a bomber (courtesy of Las Colinas Beverage) - pours smooth, very little head unless going for the hard pour. Despite the small amount of head, lacing is impressive and long lasting.

Taste wise, it's outstanding, although I found it a bit sweet. The alcohol taste is not as strong as you see in some quads, which some may like quite a bit. That said, I found myself feeling like it's just missing a tiny bit of something which would put it over the top - maybe a bit more bite or an extra dimension to the sweetness or aftertaste.

Overall, an outstanding beer and a great offering - highly recommend. I'm aging one a bit as well, and very curious to see what that adds.

Danobold, Mar 26, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

I had this beer on cask. The other reviews seem to be from the bottle, so mine’s going to be a bit different. Appearance: This beer had no head at all. It is very dark, near opaque black. Hold it up to light, and it has a reddish hue and a remarkable clarity that comes from its long conditioning time. Aroma: I smelled this beer and thought, "Yep, that’s a quad." It also has some dark fruit, black cherry. Palate: Divine 13 has a medium mouth feel. The cask version I had, of course, had no carbonation. It coated the mouth like 2% milk. Flavor: This beer is delicious. Chocolate and caramel blend with dark fruit flavors, like fig and black cherry, maybe even some blackberry. It starts sweet on the front end and finishes like a dry Cabernet, driving you to the next sip. I would have never guessed the alcohol content by it’s taste. It’s well incorporated into the beer, warming but not biting. Overall: I love this beer. I’d drink it again. In fact, I did. I had to make sure that it was as good as I thought, so I had another, and another, and then just one more. Four tests concur. It’s fantastic.

LaTrappeMonk, Mar 25, 2013