Bishop's Barrel 3 - Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Bishop's Barrel 3Bishop's Barrel 3

Saint Arnold Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Imperial stout aged in Woodford Reserve barrels with molasses.

(Beer added by: BeanBone on 05-20-2013)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally cracked open the only bottle of this I was able to get my hands on. Thanks to my best friend Mark N. for thinking of me!

I let it warm up to about 50 degrees allowing the head to settle. I used a tall tulip shaped glass giving me a chance to savor the nose.

The pour is a beautiful midnight black that is as dark as the Devil’s soul. It has a frothy head that is very tan and almost as creamy as shaving cream in appearance, the lacing down the glass that is broken and smooth clumping that lingers on the glass.

The nose is sweet bourbon/malt with almost no hints of hop, lots of caramel, vanilla, chocolate and cardamom notes in there.
The flavor is, well frankly, spectacular. To qualify, I have not yet met a bourbon that I would ever want to drink again. Bourbon just doesn’t excite me like a 50 year old Messias vintage port will. Now I use Bourbons in my cooking very frequently and savor the delicious notes it pairs with the likes of Italian Parmesan Butter, Homemade Worcestershire sauce from Revival Market and Basil Hayden’s Kentucky bourbon (Add a dash of powdered Habanero and Sea Salt); this combination is somewhat orgasmic when paired with a perfectly aged steak. But I digress…

That said this beer is AMAZING!!! I love the bourbon overtones in this beer. The presence is undeniable and extremely prevalent, even dominating, but the tones of an Imperial Stout are there too and perfectly blended. A pairing far braver than I would typically try, and I am very adventuresome when it comes to pairing flavors. The flavors of the bourbon are somewhat buttery, savory when very distinctive notes of oak and fructose. There are notes of apples, vanilla, darkest chocolate, nutmeg with a slightly hoppy and bitter bourbon finish.

The mouth feel is more watery than what I was expecting considering this is an imperial stout. I was expecting a much more viscous beer. However, I am not disappointed. I am more surprised by the complexity this beer brings to my sense of smell and my palate.

I can clearly see that this beer just is not likely to be feasible for the mass-market type of production one might like to see and we are likely to never see it’s likes again, that is very sad. This is an excellent brew. The only good news I have is the fact that I least got my hands on one bottle and was able to truly enjoy it.

Now it’s time for some GTA V.

Don’t Drink & Drive unless it’s GTA-V!

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Almost black in color this is a stout that has been aged in bourbon barrels. The smell of bourbon, and chocolate is readily apparent. It pours with a light head and good effervesence. The bourbon and chocolate hit you after you first taste it and stay through the experience. It is a very strong beer (11+% ABV) but is outstanding in that it gets better as your glass warms slightly. The bourbon becomes more pronounced in the odor but never overwhelming. A great beer for those who also like "a beer and a shot".

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%