Andrew's Porter - Andrew's Brewing Co.

Andrew's Porter
No picture uploaded.
good

Andrew's Brewing Co.
Maine, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Reviews by Gattopardo:
Gattopardo

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Sitting down in one of the dark wooden booths of Darby’s pub in Belfast, Maine puts you in the mood to enjoy a fine beer with your seafood, and I immediately liked the sound of Andrew’s Porter on draught. The color is a very dark brown and the head minimal. The scent prepares you for something rich, and the taste doesn’t disappoint. Dark roasted coffee combines with some chocolate and smoky hints in a medium mouth-feel. The finish is appropriately bitter. A good hearty brew to wash down a Darby’s crab roll.

08-07-2007 02:19:03 | More by Gattopardo
bewareOFpenguin

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

The potential for greatness was here, but was lost as it tasted too watered down. It poured a almost dark color, and the taste was there, although not strong enough. Too weak for a porter, more on the lines of a brown ale. Still worth a taste, to judge for yourself.

02-24-2003 06:54:25 | More by bewareOFpenguin
WunderLlama

3.5/5  rDev -2%

06-30-2014 20:58:19 | More by WunderLlama
ToasterChef

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Reviewed from my notes. I got to try a glass of this while out to lunch with some non-BA friends who were forgiving enough to let me take a few tasting notes while stepping out of the conversation. The beer is dark brown with a small tan foam head. It looks like a decent porter should. The aroma has some roasted coffee notes. The hops are a little musty. The beer has been chilled to a lower temperature than I would serve this particular beer, so the aroma isn't very strong. The taste is creamy, with lots of roasted coffee bean bitterness. There is a little bit of sweetness that isn't masked by the bitter flavors. It has a lighter/more watery feel than some porters, but it does maintain a creamy texture. The carbonation is at a medium level. It feels nice and is very drinkable. There is a lot of bitterness, but it isn't too strong (this isn't a coffee porter). I could easily drink a few rounds. I'm glad I got to try this and will certainly purchase it again.

04-26-2010 13:46:42 | More by ToasterChef
sprucetip

Alaska

2.68/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this on tap with dinner in Belfast. Marshall Wharf was closed, and this restaurant a couple blocks away didn't have any. I almost went without beer, but since this brewery is relatively local as well, I figured I'd give it a try. The menu said the Porter was "bartender's choice."

It looked a little bit thin, and I wondered if the server had brought the brown on accident, even before smelling or tasting it. It was dark-ish brown, but I could see through it around the edges. Very little head, no lacing.

Smelled kinda grainy, and just a little bit roasty. Didn't really detect any sweetness.

Taste was grainy, lightly roasty, and more bitter than anything. Didn't detect any malty sweetness at all, which would have improved it greatly. I honestly thought the server had brought me the brown, and asked if this had happened. I was assured that I had indeed been brought a porter.

Felt very thin, kinda watery. Non beer geek girlfriend, whose occasional beers are porters and stouts, usually ones I help her choose (Pecher Mortel most recently, which may have spoiled her?), even commented on the thinness of the feel, and stated that a porter should make her feel a thick coating in her mouth and throat, and that this one was "like drinking water."

I can't say it was bad, but I really didn't want to drink it. I have a hard time wasting things, especially beer, so it was consumed. But being on a bit of a weight loss program, I was a little disappointed to have wasted the calories on a beer that I didn't find very enjoyable. That said, maybe there was some good reason for me to get a sub par sample? Maybe the lines were dirty? Others have rated it highly, so I'm not telling you not to try it.

01-18-2010 01:45:44 | More by sprucetip
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

Deep chestnut brown in color. Nice head that is gone all too quickly. Ok aroma-somewhat roasted but a bit fruity. Mildly piney and resiny flavor. Fruity flavor as well. Mild roasted grain flavors. Ok body for style. This resembles a porter in no way shape or form to me. the piney and fruity flavors just dont belong here. I would pass.

03-04-2010 00:37:23 | More by lackenhauser
Brad007

Vermont

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a dark brown color with red highlights and a thick two-finger head into my glass.

Aroma is full of a coffee-like essence with a faint hint of chocolate as well in the nose.

Taste is full of coffee, light chocolate and licorice. A bit thin. Otherwise, definitely a porter.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering coffee, light chocolate and licorice. A bit thin.

Not bad. A middle-of-the-road example that is still drinkable, which is what a porter should at least be.

07-07-2009 20:06:40 | More by Brad007
Bighuge

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Dark ruby red appearance. Crimson edges. An understated brown head with decent retention. Aroma is of deep roasted barley, cocoa and chocolate and hearty French Roast coffee bean. The body is damn near full. This hearty brew tastes of bittersweet chocolate, vanilla bean, hugely roasted and burnt malt tones, smoke and wood. What a big and thick beer. It assaults the palate with bitter goodness.

Hats off to JohnnyP for nabbing me this gem.

11-05-2003 04:54:42 | More by Bighuge
purplehops

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Andrew's Porter poured a mahogany brown color with a thin off-white head that left little to no lace on the glass. The aroma is caramel, black malt and sweet coffee. The taste starts with a thin malty flavor with a touch of effervescent play on the tip of the tongue. This is quickly followed by flavors of roasted barley, coffee, and black malt with hints of chocolate and caramel. The finish is smooth with mild flavors of grain, charcoal, and coffee. Aftertaste is robust black coffee with hints of hop bitterness and toffee. Mouthfeel is light to medium light with some balanced carbonation.
Overall a disappointment. They call this a Porter? Looked and felt more like a Brown Ale. The flavor and aroma of a porter is there albeit it is a wee bit weak but the appearance and mouthfeel were all English Brown Ale. There is nothing bad per say about this beer it just wasn't what I was expecting. If they had called it a brown ale I probably would have rated this beer higher

03-10-2003 04:32:42 | More by purplehops
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

11-22-2011 18:56:31 | More by Rochefort10nh
neil

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

I saw this poor 6-pack sitting in RSVP and took pity on it. I also added it to my quest to find a good porter in Maine.

Apperance - A dark brown color to this. Not as dark as other porters however. A good level of carbonation on this too, not too much.

Smell - A bit thin, the smell is there but not as strong as I'd really like it to be. I suspected the temp to be too cold for it, but I did get the same results with a brew that had been out the fridge for a good 45 mins.

Taste - Nice and smooth. A nice burnt taste to it, but the richness and peaty taste were not present. The afterness was pure burntness, which got a bit too much after a while. I longed for the peat, dark taste of a porter after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - Good and smooth, but felt too watery really.

Drinkability - As I said for the taste, the burntness became too much after a while for me, and I'm someone who can take a very strong ale. My six pack lasted me for a good 3 days.

A good effort, I'd get it again if either Smuttynose or Samuel Smiths were out of my local place.

05-07-2004 03:03:15 | More by neil
Andrew's Porter from Andrew's Brewing Co.