Abbey Dubbel - Flying Fish Brewing Company

good

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Dubbel |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 07-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Dubbel Alström Bros

ambemt111, Jun 13, 2014

Just started dabbling with the abbey dubbel and it is fantastic. Been drinking Smithwicks, Killians, the oktoberfests and winter lagers and the flying fish abbey has been the best i have tasted. I've tried a lot of the darker microbrews but nothing can touch the abbey.

TimmyMac11, Oct 22, 2014

JCFinn, Dec 09, 2011

El_tiburon, Sep 29, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +38%

From the first pour of the deep brown liquid that forms a long-lasting tan head to the last swallow, this beer comes as close to perfection as any American beer I have tried. Opening the cap reveals a fruity aroma, which is followed by a wonderous first sip. Both sweet and bitter at the same time, caramel, dates, and biscuit flavors come forward. The brew finishes long and clean, though a little thin in the mouth. Biggest drawback is that it does not go well with snack foods.

DrDocRudge, Jul 23, 2001
4.88/5  rDev +37.5%

Presentation - Though I have a Flying Fish pint glass, this offering from same company called for a Chimay goblet

Appearance - Dark ruby red, head does not last long and I see no lacing

Smell - Like yeast and fruit, with a little bit of sugar

Taste - Follows the smell

Mouthfeel - Lighter and less complex version of the style, a good intro dubbel

Drinkability - Delivers really well, probably one of the most sessionable dubbels

Overall - A great intro to the style, and hey, I am supporting local beers

tjd112, Feb 03, 2010

DaveEcenrode, Oct 24, 2013

RBorsato, Nov 13, 2012

Vylo, Feb 27, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

This beer poured out beautifully. A perfectly clear copper brown color with a big white head. The smell is right on with a nice sourness and spiced fruit character. Pleasant sweetness from the malt. The hops blend well because I can barely detect them ( or much bitterness for that matter ).This is one of the most drinkable beers I have had in this style. Very good and one to look out for.

pezoids, Mar 08, 2003

Dougwillhike, Jan 05, 2014

DustinSWB, Dec 15, 2013

mquinn919, Sep 06, 2014

DGreene697, Jul 19, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +23.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours with a two-finger thick tan head. Subtle cascading effect. Head quickly dissapates but leaves slight lacing down the sides. Murky brown in color.

S: Brown sugar up front with a hint of spice. Sweetness in there too.

T: Mmmmm. Just the right touch of alcohol with a strong, but not overpowering, coriander component. Brown sugar sweetness apparent.

M: Great drinking beer. Carbonation on the lighter side (as it should be!) with a rich silkiness for the style. Medium body and seems to simply disappear from the glass...

O: Great job guys. An excellent easy drinking, but high quality beer for the ages. I will buy this again and again. I just wish it were colder

KyleVick4, Aug 29, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +22%

Appearance: This beer pours darker than I expected for a double. It is purplish brown (I guess you could call it a dark amber). It has a small head that disappears immediately; but it is a very attractive color sitting in my goblet.

Smell: Plums, black cherries, brown sugar, caramel, candied malts, maybe a bit of cloves and nutmeg. WOW! The aroma of this beer is extremely enticing! It reminded me of Three Philosophers which is a quad.

Taste: As exceptional as the aroma is, it was a small let down that the taste is 'only, really good'. Since when has ‘really good’ been a let down? The first thing that came to mind in the taste was yeast and a bready attribute. The malt character is so rich and smooth it is incredible. There is also a subtle suggestion of chocolate. Then there is an interesting almost orange tart hop character that maybe English hops, anyway it is very mild and pleasantly tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium body smooth and slightly chewy. Almost no carbonation. A bit syrupy.

Drinkability: This is one of the most drinkable doubles I've ever had. It is easy and could nicely pair with a wide variety of foods; from cheeses, hourderves, entrees or desert. I had some chocolate and it was great. Boy this when down so quickly and easily. The 7.3% ABV will catch up to you eventually but this beer still sits very lightly in your stomach. I got this in a trade so I only have one and I would certainly like another.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

THANKS:
Thanks to tgbljb for the trade!
Heres to finding good beer in Lancaster PA :) Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +22%

Poured a medium amber color with modest white head. Smell is very enjoyable, with a nice combination of fruitiness, spice, and candy sugar. Taste improves on the smell with the candy sugar predominating and a light spiciness in the background. Alcohol is completely hidden and it goes down smooth as silk. A very pleasant beer, with great drinkability. A good example of the style.

tgbljb, Feb 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +22%

Prologue: One of the first beers I tried after deciding to expand my beer horizons was their ESB. I was very disappointed as I felt it had an off flavor and so was quite skeptical about their other beers. Since then I've had their summer saison and grand cru, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I decided to give this one a shot.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color with a frothy head that thins to a slight lace and eventually to a collar that lingers.

Smell: This has a lovely aroma. Some fruit present with cherries leading the way, bread and bubblegum also noticed.

Taste: Very tasty, not as complex as other belgians but that is okay with me. Follows the aroma as bubblegum, bread, biscuit, and some spicing carry though into a sour cherry finish. There is a moderate amount of spices noticed which is a plus in my book as some belgians seem too spicey. Medium bodied and very easy on the palate.

Overall: I was very happy with this purchase. It was very drinkable and I am looking forward to the next six pack. Their ESB must be the odd one out of the lot.

joshlara, Apr 15, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Im sure this will be one of the highest ratings I have given so far. This is my favorite style of beer so I am usually pretty tough when I drink a new beer. In this case I was totally impressed and delighted to have this beer.

App: It pours like a real belgium giving a haze and light malty color. The bottle has Flying Fish distinctive airplane fish. I always enjoy any product from Flying fish and this one looked like I would.

Smell: Great smell comes from this beer. Malts, sweet bread smell, with the yeast hint of a belgium style beer. Very inviting smell.

Taste: I was shocked to taste this beer and the taste it gave. Perfect roast of the malts giving it a good sweet taste without the overcooked taste that most american belgium often commit. The connection of belgium yeast and malts truly activate your taste buds.

Mouth feel: Smooth and powerful are the words on this beer.

Drink: If you are a Belgium fan than you have to give this beer a try. I Can assure you you will, like me, have at least one bottle of this beer in the fridge at all times.

Beertroop, Mar 23, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

This pours a dark amber color. Not a whole lot of carbonation to speak of, but is to be expected with this style.

Nose is sweet malt.

Taste is mostly malt with a nice blend of spice, grape, and licorice.

A very nice brew, with a unique licorice taste.

gromis, Jun 17, 2010