Abbey Dubbel - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Dubbel |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbey Dubbel Alström Bros

Just started dabbling with the abbey dubbel and it is fantastic. Been drinking Smithwicks, Killians, the oktoberfests and winter lagers and the flying fish abbey has been the best i have tasted. I've tried a lot of the darker microbrews but nothing can touch the abbey. (271 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +37.3%

From the first pour of the deep brown liquid that forms a long-lasting tan head to the last swallow, this beer comes as close to perfection as any American beer I have tried. Opening the cap reveals a fruity aroma, which is followed by a wonderous first sip. Both sweet and bitter at the same time, caramel, dates, and biscuit flavors come forward. The brew finishes long and clean, though a little thin in the mouth. Biggest drawback is that it does not go well with snack foods. (484 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +36.4%

Presentation - Though I have a Flying Fish pint glass, this offering from same company called for a Chimay goblet

Appearance - Dark ruby red, head does not last long and I see no lacing

Smell - Like yeast and fruit, with a little bit of sugar

Taste - Follows the smell

Mouthfeel - Lighter and less complex version of the style, a good intro dubbel

Drinkability - Delivers really well, probably one of the most sessionable dubbels

Overall - A great intro to the style, and hey, I am supporting local beers (510 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +30.3%

This beer poured out beautifully. A perfectly clear copper brown color with a big white head. The smell is right on with a nice sourness and spiced fruit character. Pleasant sweetness from the malt. The hops blend well because I can barely detect them ( or much bitterness for that matter ).This is one of the most drinkable beers I have had in this style. Very good and one to look out for. (391 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great, and under-rated beer from Flying Fish. I have had this on multiple occasions, and I think it's one of the most drinkable doubles I've had. Maybe because the ABV isn't so "extreme". Just great, complex flavor, body, and feel.

It tastes similar to Unibroue La Terrible to me, which is a quad, that for some reason is much more highly rated, and priced. (365 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: This beer pours darker than I expected for a double. It is purplish brown (I guess you could call it a dark amber). It has a small head that disappears immediately; but it is a very attractive color sitting in my goblet.

Smell: Plums, black cherries, brown sugar, caramel, candied malts, maybe a bit of cloves and nutmeg. WOW! The aroma of this beer is extremely enticing! It reminded me of Three Philosophers which is a quad.

Taste: As exceptional as the aroma is, it was a small let down that the taste is 'only, really good'. Since when has ‘really good’ been a let down? The first thing that came to mind in the taste was yeast and a bready attribute. The malt character is so rich and smooth it is incredible. There is also a subtle suggestion of chocolate. Then there is an interesting almost orange tart hop character that maybe English hops, anyway it is very mild and pleasantly tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium body smooth and slightly chewy. Almost no carbonation. A bit syrupy.

Drinkability: This is one of the most drinkable doubles I've ever had. It is easy and could nicely pair with a wide variety of foods; from cheeses, hourderves, entrees or desert. I had some chocolate and it was great. Boy this when down so quickly and easily. The 7.3% ABV will catch up to you eventually but this beer still sits very lightly in your stomach. I got this in a trade so I only have one and I would certainly like another.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

THANKS:
Thanks to tgbljb for the trade!
Heres to finding good beer in Lancaster PA :) Cheers! (1,579 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours with a two-finger thick tan head. Subtle cascading effect. Head quickly dissapates but leaves slight lacing down the sides. Murky brown in color.

S: Brown sugar up front with a hint of spice. Sweetness in there too.

T: Mmmmm. Just the right touch of alcohol with a strong, but not overpowering, coriander component. Brown sugar sweetness apparent.

M: Great drinking beer. Carbonation on the lighter side (as it should be!) with a rich silkiness for the style. Medium body and seems to simply disappear from the glass...

O: Great job guys. An excellent easy drinking, but high quality beer for the ages. I will buy this again and again. I just wish it were colder (715 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured a medium amber color with modest white head. Smell is very enjoyable, with a nice combination of fruitiness, spice, and candy sugar. Taste improves on the smell with the candy sugar predominating and a light spiciness in the background. Alcohol is completely hidden and it goes down smooth as silk. A very pleasant beer, with great drinkability. A good example of the style. (381 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Prologue: One of the first beers I tried after deciding to expand my beer horizons was their ESB. I was very disappointed as I felt it had an off flavor and so was quite skeptical about their other beers. Since then I've had their summer saison and grand cru, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I decided to give this one a shot.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color with a frothy head that thins to a slight lace and eventually to a collar that lingers.

Smell: This has a lovely aroma. Some fruit present with cherries leading the way, bread and bubblegum also noticed.

Taste: Very tasty, not as complex as other belgians but that is okay with me. Follows the aroma as bubblegum, bread, biscuit, and some spicing carry though into a sour cherry finish. There is a moderate amount of spices noticed which is a plus in my book as some belgians seem too spicey. Medium bodied and very easy on the palate.

Overall: I was very happy with this purchase. It was very drinkable and I am looking forward to the next six pack. Their ESB must be the odd one out of the lot. (1,071 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +19.6%

Im sure this will be one of the highest ratings I have given so far. This is my favorite style of beer so I am usually pretty tough when I drink a new beer. In this case I was totally impressed and delighted to have this beer.

App: It pours like a real belgium giving a haze and light malty color. The bottle has Flying Fish distinctive airplane fish. I always enjoy any product from Flying fish and this one looked like I would.

Smell: Great smell comes from this beer. Malts, sweet bread smell, with the yeast hint of a belgium style beer. Very inviting smell.

Taste: I was shocked to taste this beer and the taste it gave. Perfect roast of the malts giving it a good sweet taste without the overcooked taste that most american belgium often commit. The connection of belgium yeast and malts truly activate your taste buds.

Mouth feel: Smooth and powerful are the words on this beer.

Drink: If you are a Belgium fan than you have to give this beer a try. I Can assure you you will, like me, have at least one bottle of this beer in the fridge at all times. (1,080 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +19%

This pours a dark amber color. Not a whole lot of carbonation to speak of, but is to be expected with this style.

Nose is sweet malt.

Taste is mostly malt with a nice blend of spice, grape, and licorice.

A very nice brew, with a unique licorice taste. (255 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Came in a 12 oz brown long neck bottle. I didn't notice a freshness date, but a description on the side of the bottle was rife with information about the brewery and a contact number/website, etc.

Appearance: Amber color. Not much of a head formed upon the initial pour, granted I poured this one cold. Had it been a room temp., perhaps a bit more head would have been present.

Smell: Yeasty, bready smell with malt overtones.

Taste: I opened this brew cold, and let it warm to open it up a bit. It did. Nice dense taste with alot of malt. I personally enjoy this alot and I feel this indeed captured the true belgian dubble style. I would love to put this up against a Meredsous 8 or a Chimay red to get a good side to side comparison. Sadly, I only had one bottle and really wanted to experience this one alone. The only weakness is the strength: Malt. It appears to be very present while at the same time a bit out of balance.

Drinkability: For a "local brew" (i.e. Cherry Hill, NJ) this is an outstanding find. Well worth using as a good representation of a dubbel style. Pass me another, and another! (1,120 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Great taste with citrus, cloves and roasted malt. Pleasant smell with fruity aroma. But leaves a little not so great aftertaste leaving one with a feeling that this is not the real thing. Still a great substitute for the real thing brewed in Belgium. Offers a great variety and contrast to other types (IPA, Stout etc. ) when having multiple drinks in a single sitting. (369 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Clear, russet brown with a fair-sized off-white head that's lightly creamy. Although it doesn't hold real well, it does leave a good collar and some light lace. The aroma offers dark fruit, caramel malt and a subtle spiciness. The flavor follows suit with some additional candyish sugariness and more spice. It's very well balanced and the alcohol is nicely cloaked. The body is medium with a very fine carbonation giving it a lightly tingly, creamy mouthfeel. It finishes with a gently lingering sweet maltiness. It's been argued that this beer is too light for the style, but that's not true. It ranks admirably side by side with many Belgians. A very nicely done, and quite enjoyable beer. (692 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

This is another solid brew from Flying Fish. The color is brown with some amber hues around the edges. The most interesting thing about this beer is the different tastes which mingle together, only to be finished with a strong, pleasant aftertaste. Very pleasing. My head dissipated quickly but since the bottle was jostled a bit before drinking it I'm cutting it some slack. (375 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks a ton to bbeane for the super cool extra.

a - Popped the bottle and pouring into an ommegang chalice. Classic dubbel purple but the head was a bit weak and vanished somewhat quickly. Murky and foggy. pretty subtle lacing.

s - Yum. Candy and nutmeg. Way sweeter than I had expected. Has a bit of a syrupy quality. Very malty.

t - Very sweet...like plum candy. interesting take on the dubbel style, but a bit heavy on the sweetness. malty grape jam/preservatives.

m/d - I can really feel the alcohol tingle. malty and somewhat thick tasting. this could be a good gateway dubbel. VERY easy drinker. I tend to prefer a more classic dubbel, but I did enjoy this beer very much. (683 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Light brown with a weak tan head, a little hazy, not great but appetizing enough.

S- Cherries, brown sugar and raisins mingle with soft earthy components. Pretty appetizing.

T- Very much like the nose but with added subtle spice in the finish. Awesome.

M- Medium body and creamy soft carbonation lends to this one being a great sipper.

D- Pretty smooth but balanced, could have more now and will definitely have again. Good beer. (436 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer pours a dark amber with a nice violet hue that’s slightly cloudy. The head is just wisps of off white and a narrow collar.

Smells strongly of concord grapes, honey and creamy bread dough with a nice, slightly spicy, creamy yeast that’s nestled in with a hint of alcohol and a light ginger.

Tastes of a light but sweet woody barley with a touch of red grapes. There’s a little dry, sour coffee here but comes out much more sweet in the finish. Nice dynamics.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a tiny carbonation.

Considering how much this one sells for, this could be in the running for the most cost efficient dubble ever. (658 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first beer review on Beer Advocate, so bare with me.

Appearance: A moderate to deep brown with a hazy tint.

Smell: A sweet aroma, it had a smell like prunes or berries with a little bit of spice. It reminded me of the scent of a root beer. I was drawn to the beer immediately.

Taste: Delightfully sweet but not over powering. A short and slight hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: A very delicious beer for casual consumption. (476 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into chalice from 12oz bottle dated best by Sept 14 2008. Grabbed a case of this for $32 at local distributor.

A- Poured a caramel color with about 2 finger head. Quickly goes away. Some small bubbles running around.

S- What's nice about a chalice is that it gives off a great nose. This one has many nice smells with it. I get whiffs of belgian yeast,spicy cloves, sweet malts, some floral hop, and last but certainly not least, alcohol.

T- Belgian yeast grabs my buds first, followed by that sweetness of the malts. A little clove and banana next. Lastly, the alcohol cleans up. Damn good taste on this one.

M- Lightly carbonated and a little on the thick side.

D- Taste is wonderful, but the alcohol will get ya. It has sneaked up on me a few times with this case. But very drinkable, even on a hot day.

Afterthoughts- For the price, a damn good belgian in my view. If your looking for something along these lines, this will do.

Enjoy and cheers,
shertz (973 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

L: Pours a nice hazy orange copper color with a tall and thick off white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted and roasted malts, hints of sweet and slightly sour fruits, and then a slight yeast aroma at the end.
T: Tastes of a nice sweet toasted and roasted malt backbone, followed by a myriad of fruit flavors, a hint of alcohol, and some yeast flavors.
M: Smooth, rich, medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, slightly warming.
D: Very drinkable, overall this was actually one of my favorite Dubbels. (556 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: Cloudy brown/ amber color, 1 finger head that stayed a while
S: amazing smell, caramel, chocolate, cream soda
T: caramel, lots of malts, good alcohol taste
M: smooth all the way through, good aftertaste, no bite
D: great, no trouble at all

Great beer. I only had one of these but I wish I had more, definitely try this beer. (358 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

My local trader, tone77, and I did another pick-up/drop-off the other day and this time our roles were reversed - I dropped off while he was at work. More bottles for me to keep the numbers aligned with The CANQuest (TM). So be it!

Happily, this is my 1,700th review! I have known Gene (the owner) nearly since the company's inception and I remain friends with Casey Hughes, their head brewer.

More and more, I am finding it helpful to look at style characteristics, especially after the preponderance of AALs in the early stages of The CANQuest (TM). I had (shamefully) forgotten the color of a Dubbel and was moderately surprised at what I was seeing coming out of the bottle. I got a fluffy two fingers of light-tan head that slowly fell like a souffle. Color was a beautiful copper, the color of an ex-girlfriend's hair (miss you, LindaLou), with NE-quality clarity. Nose evidenced notes of dried dark fruits, caramel and a slight yeasty mustiness. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching creamy, with a lot of caramel flavor on the tongue. This was quite sweet (for my tastes) and yet highly drinkable, given the way it seemed to evaporate from my glass. Finish was equally sweet with the caramel simply lingering. Wow, but this was way too easy to drink! It is a good thing I stay in practice. (1,296 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured the bottle into a nonic pint glass and showed no attempt of head retention just a fizzled down, thing ring of a head. Looks rather defeated and cause for concern.

Smell of phenol and dark fruit with hints of spice. Very appetizing and according to the style.

Taste is great! The dark fruit is there; cherries. A nice spice presence is also there. Very full flavor!

Mouthfeel is great. Carbonation almost tickles the tongue.

Drinkability is insane for 7.3% I'm a fan of this beer and I would definitely get it again. Interested to get my hands on some more of this brewery. (583 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber with two-finger, white, creamy head that lasted a couple minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Belgian yeast, fruit. Mild.

T: Light to moderate sweetness and light bitterness. Mild dark fruits. Belgian yeast and toasty malt.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation.

O: Interesting beer. The taste makes up for the mild nose. (358 characters)

Abbey Dubbel from Flying Fish Brewing Company