ESB Amber Ale - Flying Fish Brewing Company

good

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ESB Amber Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Suds

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Light copper color with a medium sized white head. Well balanced, but muted hops and malt. I'm not sure I'd call it an ESB. Most notable characteristic is a slightly sweet and carmel-like taste.

08-03-2002 16:11:44 | More by Suds
ElGuapo

2.05/5  rDev -41.8%

bitter bitter bitter. this did not go well with me. it was a struggle to take down. a bit hoppy with a flavor that almost made me gag. extra special...not at all

07-22-2002 19:08:56 | More by ElGuapo
Reverand

4.28/5  rDev +21.6%

I didn't think that I would like this ESB but it really surprised me. Nice color with a big head that clung all the way down. Smooth taste with balanced hops.

05-24-2002 14:00:26 | More by Reverand
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -2%

Well this beer certainly has the goods and is well-made, but there's nothing about it that grabs me and makes me say "That's great beer!" maybe it's me, but I seem to recall the 3 or 4 beers made by FF as having the same lacklustre effect on me. Maybe I gotta have it on tap.

04-25-2002 18:14:32 | More by beerluvr
frank4sail

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Rich mostly hoppy nose. Good head and retention. Little off-white sheen over the brew. Light amber in color. Malty but not bitter enough for my taste. Decent mouth.... This was an average bitter.

04-25-2002 13:15:29 | More by frank4sail
bmills1608

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

Nice Orange-bronze color.

Has a spicy sort of prickly nose, citrus like.

The first taste I noticed was orange-like (I think, hard to describe). Nice medium mouthfeel, solid malty sweet foundation with a citrus hop (but not overly so) balance. Has a perfumed quality to it. It has a unique, strange taste that I have seen described as earth or vegetal, and I think I agree with that. That taste is a negative in this beer, it lost a few points because of that. Once I really tuned into that wierd taste, it is all I can taste now. I feel it is a loose interpetation of an ESB (my benchmark is Fuller's) and definitely has an American Micro brew stamp on it. A ok choice.

Nice lace on the side of the glass.

04-22-2002 09:56:42 | More by bmills1608
Jason

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Presentation: 12 oz brown longneck bottle with the Flying Fish logo on the label, no freshness date.

Appearance: Deep slightly dark orange amber, nice clarity with patches of sticky lace trail down the glass from a well produced white head.

Smell: Clean aroma of fresh milled toasted grain, a little hay that has been in the sun for too long. Hints of caramel and leafy hop in the nose also but still clean.

Taste: Stable medium body, crispness lends a nice palatable texture, clean and refreshing. Big fresh burst of toasted malt and side of caramel. A little bit of juicy fruit from the fruitiness. Wood and earth flavours come from the hop flavour which also places a modest but cutting bitterness on the tongue. Finishes dry and full of toasted grain.

Notes: Decent American Brewed ESB, why not call it an American Amber Ale because that is what it is. Either way it is an easy drinking ale that is worth a try.

04-13-2002 04:06:04 | More by Jason
John

2.6/5  rDev -26.1%

Very little head that dissappeared in a hurry after a vigorous pour from the 12oz. bottle. Light copper color. Light doughy aroma with cooked vegetable smell. More veggies in the flavor. Light on the malt, not much backbone. Adequately hopped though. Probably the lightest ESB I've ever had. This one comes up short of my expectations of an ESB. More of a light session pale.

04-01-2002 09:36:36 | More by John
WilliamPhilaPa

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

The body has a nice copper color w/ an amber head. The aroma has a rich malty start and features hints of caramel notes that develop into a smooth bitter hop finish. The bitterness is not overwhelming though. I thought it had a slightly dry finish. I’m new to ESB Ale all together, but my overall opinion is, that there is nothing really special about this ESB.

02-20-2002 17:59:40 | More by WilliamPhilaPa