Grand Cru Winter Reserve - Flying Fish Brewing Company

good

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 09-14-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

12-07-2012 15:22:24 | More by Damian74Shensky
JackTheRipper

1.63/5  rDev -55.1%

A: Pale honey in color. Clear. Minimal head with no lacing
S: Sweet up front with a nasty skunky aroma. Sour smell covers the later improved fruity aromas that come through as this one warmed a bit.
T: Slightly bitter with a nice yeasty taste. Somewhat low malty flavors. Lingering bitter aftertaste.
M: Good levels of CO2 and alcohol. Nice medium body.
D&N: I hope I got a bad bottle, cause this beer was awful. As it stands, I wouldn't recommend this at all. A thoroughly yuk beer that was a chore to try and finish.

04-11-2005 05:38:24 | More by JackTheRipper
CyanideCastro

11-15-2011 00:25:59 | More by CyanideCastro
SickNukes

05-22-2012 01:45:26 | More by SickNukes
AltBock

12 oz. bottle that was poured into a Flying Fish standard pint glass. What came out of the bottle was a clear and pale yellow colored beer that had a small and thin head of white foam. This thin head of foam quickly dissipated into some small white bubbly rings and a spot or two of lace. The beer had a light aroma of malted wheat, a small touch of cherry, apples, yeast, and a few lightly crispy floral hops toward the end. The taste for this beer was far too light and contained lightly dry and crispy floral hops, sour apples, and a small pinch of yeast at the end. As you can tell, there wasn't much of anything to the taste. It really didn't have anything going for it. The mouthfeel was really light and had a very faint aftertaste of crispy floral hops. There was not that much flavor in the mouthfeel either. There's no way I would touch this Flying Fish brew again. Back to the drawing board with this one.

03-18-2008 17:35:01 | More by AltBock
Knapp85

2.05/5  rDev -43.5%

What the heck is this stuff? I saw te word Grand Cru on the tap handle and I get something pale yellow? Maybe I've lost touch with reality here but I always thought that a style of beer like that has some form of complexity, and some blood sweat and tears put into it. The guy hands me my sample and I just gave him a look back like "WTF is this?!". It actually had me a little upset, I know flying fish is capable of making good brews (check out their Exit Series). I was just stunned by the lack of everything not put into this brew. I couldn't say much about this if I tried. The beer was yellow and light bodied... Seriously, a winter grand cru? Impossible.

03-25-2011 03:37:11 | More by Knapp85
pkalix

2.08/5  rDev -42.7%

my first flying fish....
pours a bland gold with no head.
the aroma has got me prejudiced- i dont like it. tinny, rusty, not like a belgian ale at all in my book. one more sniff... cant define it. a fishery, maybe??
taste...? yeah, the candied sugar is there. yeah, the 'belgian' undertones are there... but i dont think i like it.
my bottle is purple and doesnt look anything like the one on the BA site. also the label says 6.9% but BA says 7.2%
i found the website; the brew is just very new. not on BA yet. i still dont like it. it could be great, but there is just a nasty little smell/taste that is giving me much hesitation. i'm trying to be fair with each drink/taste. and the weird thing is, it is a FISHY taste/smell. i dont know what more to say. i have 2/3 down and i'm going to toss the rest. i dont know how to rate this one. i get the distinct style and taste of a brewer and i appreciate that, but i dont like this at all. can i give it a 2 for the abv??? and for what i percieve to be a nice attempt? i like the write up on the website. i get the description. there is just a funky little taste (spice?) that ruins it for me. and maybe this review belongs in a new format as i interpret it to be a 'new' brew rather than the one pictured. but look how much i described in fairness to the brew- i tried to be fair. somebody send me a line if you disagree, please...

02-05-2013 00:51:26 | More by pkalix
crowsnest

2.25/5  rDev -38%

12-01-2013 02:57:28 | More by crowsnest
FrozenJoe

Alaska

2.25/5  rDev -38%

In my opinion this beer sucks. It has a similar flavor profile to a Heineken, but sweeter and not as balanced. Not a pleasant drink. I'd choose a Budweiser or Coors over this any day. Not on par with quality micro brews.

Appearance: Not bad. Light color, but slightly cloudy. Good head. No lacing.

Smell: Has a sourdough bread aspect to it that is pleasant. But an unpleasant, off aroma predominates. That unpleasant, off aroma pretty much represents what this beer will taste like.

Taste: Sweet. Too sweet. Tastes like sugar or some other sweet adjunct has been added at some point in the brewing process. I cannot taste hops. A weird malty / burnt grain flavor is present, but it just doesn't work with the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The best thing about this beer. Balanced level of carbonation. Not too thick or watery... really just right, except for the taste.

Drinkability: I don't like drinking this beer. I bought 2 cases of this stuff because it was on sale and the lady at the liquor store told me it was a really good beer. I am not looking forward to having to finish those 2 cases.

03-16-2011 03:38:45 | More by FrozenJoe
Thorpe429

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Picked up at Total Wine in Alexandria. Poured into a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Color is a light golden with a single-finger head that recedes very quickly without really leaving any lacing behind. Not nearly what I would expect from a Belgian Strong Pale. The nose brings quite a bit of yeast and fruity character with some pear, apricot, and a bit of melon. Some light floral notes as well. It's a bit plain, as I had to work fairly hard to pick out many of the characteristics of this beer.

The flavor brings forward a lot of yeast character with some spicy zest and a bit of pear, lemon, and melon. The yeast is definitely the dominant character here. The body is a bit thin and watery and not what I would expect from the style. Not a terrible effort, but when judging by the style, this just really does not stack up.

12-03-2010 02:17:15 | More by Thorpe429

specialiste

01-15-2012 06:55:40 | More by specialiste
timobkg

2.65/5  rDev -27%

Poured into a pint glass.

It pours a nice golden color, but with very little head, and what head there was faded quickly. I would have liked to see more head, with better retention.

The aroma is faintly fruity, with hints of clove and other spices. The right smells are there, but they're faint.

It tastes watered down. I can tell that there's a strong belgian ale in there somewhere, but it's far too faint. There's nothing Grand to this beer, and the spices that Winter Reserve calls to mind are barely present. It really tastes like someone took a good belgian ale and mixed it 1:2 or 1:1 with water. Very disappointing.

It's very easy to drink, as the alcohol is completely masked. Unfortunately, the flavour is also masked, and thus there's no desire to finish your glass, let alone reach for another.

Overall, I had high expectations for this beer, since I liked their Dubbel, and this came recommended, but I was completely let down. It tasted bland for what it should have been. After a second bottle to confirm that it wasn't a fluke, the rest were reserved for cooking.

01-14-2011 17:54:58 | More by timobkg
mcb4538

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a clear golden color with very little head, which dissipates quickly. A lot of carbonation present. Smells mainly of cloves. Light in taste. The cloves are very faint on the palate. To be fair, it was a light mouthfeel for a semi-high ABV. Overall, nothing too offensive but also not too rememberable.

11-09-2011 22:50:16 | More by mcb4538
njbusa

04-20-2014 01:35:59 | More by njbusa
jayhawk73

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a bright orange color with a thin off white head on my snifter glass. Smell is grass, hops, fruit. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the best in the style category. The taste is just not right for this style to me. Yeast, alcohol are added to the nose profile.. but, it's WAY too sweet. Not a fan of the taste. The feel is thin, syrupy, with a little bit of an undercarbonated vibe. Overall, this is fairly mediocre. Probably won't look for this again. Cheers.

02-05-2012 19:31:23 | More by jayhawk73

12-20-2012 13:59:22 | More by jfoley84
NJpadreFan

2.83/5  rDev -22%

Flying Fish- Grand Cru Winter Reserve

Appearance- Golden, straw yellow with a super thick head that lasts and lasts.
Smell- Malty and spicey.
Taste- Bitter with some spices and ,I think, pepper?!
Mouthfeel, too bitter and bland.

Overall, I did not enjoy this one.

01-19-2004 18:30:58 | More by NJpadreFan
mrgrinch

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance - Golden yellow, mild carbonation, no notable head but a vibrant surface. Cloudy.

Smell - The malts not really making themselves known. Spicy perhaps even mildly citrusy hops is in the forefront.

Taste - Cinnamon? Coriander? The spices dominate. Perhaps this is what a winter brew is supposed to be built like. I am new at the seasonal beer thing. It is a nice flavor, though spicy like some off the weissbiers I had in the summer.

Mouthfeel - I do like the texture. This beer has a nice body, and the carbonation leaves a little zing on the tongue at the finish.

Drinkability - This beer is refreshing. The flavor is not too overpowering, though it may be too spicy for me to have more than one or two.

I poured this from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

12-04-2010 01:22:27 | More by mrgrinch
irishking1977

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Since Flying Fish's Grand Cru is a seasonal winter Belgian Ale, I always find myself grabbing at least one six pack during it's availability. I suppose I wonder if the recipe will change with time. I guess not.

A: Pours a clear gold in my Unibroue glass. The initial head maintains itself for a short time then dissipates to nothing. Moderate lacing left around the glass. Pretty good lookin' beer.

S: Biscuits, bread, yeast. A slight hint of vanilla along with candy sugar. Not bad, but the smell could reveal a slightly cloying taste of these descriptions.

T: More bread. Yeasty breadiness. Not a word, I know. But that's what came to mind. It's moderately cloying with a bread-like finish.

M: Not as carbonated as I would have liked. I think if it was more so, it might mask the syrupy feel of the beer. This is tantamount to the mouthfeel of a barley-wine. Needs more bubbles.

D: Not bad, but after a few of these, one might yearn for something with more direction. This one is sort of all over the place for a Belgian style ale. It makes me appreciate Duvel that much more.

11-08-2009 04:09:27 | More by irishking1977
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass. Served chilled.

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow color along with a somewhat dinky half-finger eggshell color head with poor retention, but decent lacing.

S: Has an interesting cross between a phenolic, yeasty, smell of fruity ale esters (bubblegum, apple, banana), spices, and a noble hop aroma. Works decently enough.

T: Opens nicely with a subdued hit of apple, bubblegum, coriander, and banana. The finish, though, falls flat on its face with a withering, murky bitter aftertaste. ABV is hidden well, at least.

M: Somewhat low carbonation for this type of beer. The body is surprisingly light and has a slightly dry finish.

O: Not bad at all, but it doesn't really impress me. Having said that, I'd be willing to give it a second chance if it were served at room temperature. Otherwise, this isn't something I'll purchase in the future.

01-03-2012 04:27:11 | More by ThisWangsChung