OktoberFish - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: GeoffFromSJ on 09-13-2002)

tmars13, Oct 19, 2012
1.74/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Got a 1/6 barrel of this. Maybe because I just finished a Yards PPA, but this batch was awful! Smell and taste were d-. Think pumpkin. I like Flying fish, local, lots of options, but this was not the cats meow, it came from the other end. Brooklyn, Long Trail and Yards are my go to after this. Now I have a week of this. If it improves, and I grow to like it, I will revise review. The man cave needs top notch brew, and this does not not make the grade. PS- I have had more than 30 brews pass thru my tap. Update: after almost a week of this fish, I have gotten a little more used to the taste. Still would give a D grade. Ordered a 1/2 Yards PPA at $165 9.26.13. Pricy but worth it.

Leftsailor, Sep 22, 2013
1.84/5  rDev -47.9%

Swysz2730, Sep 18, 2014

gnikola, Jan 17, 2013

tjonesjr, Oct 29, 2012

brpendergast85, Mar 25, 2014
2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

12 oz Bottle in pint glass.

A: Looks promising. Rich copper color with thick head. Leaves very nice lacing down the sides.

S: What smell? Smells like water and malt. More emphasis on the water.

T: Not a bad taste. But very bland. Overwhelming malt, I guess its the style, but blah.

M: Fizzy and weak. Watery.

O: Im not a fan of Oktoberfests. But this beer seems subpar. Tastes like nothing smells like nothing. Its just a nothing beer. Id drink it to get drunk and thats all.

KyleVick4, Sep 03, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Clanceykid, Sep 24, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Lehighace06, Jan 24, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Crisp, clear, and clean as a whistle. A white head fades quickly and leaves a thin light lace. Eratic carbonation bubbles make their way up the glass.

What I would consider a lackluster attemp at aromatics. Very little malt, and subtle floral hop. Not much to it.

Not much in the way of flavor either. No complexity and completely onesided. Malt is hardly prevelant and the floral hop is hidde in the background. Things seem discombobulated.

mcallister, Oct 08, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not sure if I got an old bottle, but a freshness date would have resolved that.

Cloudy, no head, grainy smell, grainy taste. Thin body and not very drinkable. I'm reviewing because it's the only bottle I will ever have.

Please consider freshness dating your beer. It would keep people like me from having to experience it a year after you wanted me to.

Nothing redeeming about this beer at all. still, purchased in a very reputable shop and lack of date makes me wonder if it is old or not. Not recommended, this was going to be a drain pour as soon as I saw it in the glass.

ZimZamZoom, Sep 26, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a nice caramel-brown tone with slowly rising bubbles in a rather clear body; head is creamy white with a thick tracing that does not slide in time--a good start... somewhat sprucy (!)--or skunked (!!)--and caramel-sweet to the nose... the bouquet is big for an octoberfest, and more perfume than malttoo--intriguing... medium-bodied, with a bit of effervescence in the tongue and tocuhes at the throat--a rather swift rush overall... strangely stiff on the malt, almost making me doubt its freshness (the second bottle was a carbon copy)... pulls at the mouth and has a malty, woody pulp in its finish--the strength of its taste is to be commended, but its maltiness is a bit overstated, almost like it wandered through the winter into bock season.... I'm hoping the beer's skunked, and if it is, I will rewrite the review--if not, this is not an enjoyable brew for its style, with its caramelized sugary bluntness dragging down the more mellow characteristics of the beer... and Flying Fish is usually on point...

dacrza1, Sep 27, 2008

apasternak, Oct 06, 2013

Liberatiscioli, Oct 22, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This wasn't a bad beer, but it didn't seem to do very well adhering to the style. It poured an amber bronze colour, as it should have, with a great looking head that hung around for a while, but that's where it ended. Smell was mostly malt, but the hops present are certainly either centennial or cascade. Grapefruit / pine resin in an O'fest? No thanks. Taste was even worse. Not that it tasted *bad*, it was just simply not an Oktoberfest and *definately* not what I was expecting; Malt dominating at first, followed by a pronounced "West-Coast" style hoppiness. A total disaster of an Oktoberfest, but a decent hoppy amber ale of sorts, I suppose.

SilentSabre, Nov 17, 2006

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

I am a big fan of octoberfest beers around this time of the year, so I like to try as many as I can. I noticed they had this flying fish on tap at a local pub, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Appearence- As with most octoberfest beers its a dark lazy brownish color with a slight golden hue. The head was nice light cloudy white.

smell- a little on the hops, some bread touches, and a mild sweetness

taste- The tast was average, it kind of had a mild metal taste, with light hops.

m- not much carbonation

overall- I was pleased to see that the local pub had it on tap. Overall though it did not lead up to my expectations. It just felt something was missing in the ingrediants. I am pleased to have least tried it.

theotherone87, Aug 27, 2011

Thedrizzle, Sep 29, 2013

Budinetz, Feb 04, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured rich brown into an American pint glass, with a thin head, and little visible carbonation. The aroma was a little overpoweringly sweet and malty, with a hint of caramel apple and honey; no evidence of hop bitterness. The flavor was a slightly more subtle version of the nose, but since I have grown to appreciate fuller-bodied maerzens, I found the mouth to be a little on the thin side. Granted the latter makes for a nice session beer, but I'll pick something else to pair with my wurst plate.

donniecuffs, Aug 28, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a hazy amber with almost no head at all. Light, earthy, caramel malt aroma. Flavor is slightly sweet malts but nothing remarkable about the taste Very, VERY faint hops linger in the finish. Medium body, slick texture. Average beer. Nothing special here.

nimrod979, Mar 05, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not sure about this one. Pours out with a 3/4 inch head white in color. Tall collar and tinh coat. Shheeting lace. Smells of caramel malt and is very yeasty.

Fruit esters, weird, banaid really not that good.

medium body and creamy texture

One and done

jackorain, Mar 21, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -19.3%

I had this at the local bar to celebrate the season, and they served this in a pint glass.

I smelled it and got... nothing. I smelled it... and again, nothing. I blew my nose, and still I couldn't pick anything off the top. I asked my wife to smell it, and she really couldn't smell anything either.

The coloring is a dirty yellow, and the foam was about one finger. There wasn't much carbonation.

The flavor was bitter with some vegetal presence. I get quite a bit of funk in the flavoring. Overall it is easy to drink, but there wasn't much to it.

I suggest trying the Brooklyn Oktoberfest over this one.

ummswimmin, Oct 23, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap and poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy amber with residual lacing and a thin head that faded early in the beer.

S: Nice malty, hoppy aroma that seemed fitting for the seasonal. Thought this was the best aspect of the beer because the hops didnt follow up well in the taste. Marzen characteristics

T: Malty but didnt catch the quality hops. Caramel bitterness but really lacking what I had expected and hoped for out of a fest beer like this. Dissapointing hop flop.

M: Actually liked the aftertaste, but wasnt what you would expect from this style. Slight carbonation but not super smooth.

D: Probably would be good with smoky meal but not a great drinking pint. Got pretty boring pretty quick.

I like FF other offerings a bit more but this is something that I wouldnt put into this style of beer. Didnt love it or hate it.

marcpal, Nov 18, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an orange amber with a thin white head that disappears quickly. Subtle carbonation.

Smell: Slight metallic smell. Not a lot of aroma.

Taste: Slightly malty Oktoberfest taste. Not a ton of flavor. Light.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat watery with little carbonation.

Overall: I was not really impressed by this beer. I'd classify this as an Oktoberfest light.

JednoPivoProsim, Oct 21, 2011