Bourbon Barrel Dubbel - Flying Fish Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Dubbel |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 02-19-2007)
Reviews by Phatz:
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I think I liked this beer more than the regular Belgian Style Dubbel.

Appearance: Served a cloudy brown that was partly translucent. Light lacing.

Smell: Bourbon vanilla and oak are all big players in the aroma. a nice tart grape and spices follow.

Taste: Fruity. Pears overripe apples and lots of brown sugar caramel malt segway to a tangy tart raisin and spice with plenty of alcohol and oak showing the bourbon element.

Mouthfeel: Warm. The alcohol on the cheeks hides a light body and keeps you sipping.

Drinkability: For a beer that is only 7.30% ABV it feels much hotter than that. It is a nice sipping beer but one to have at home at the end of a night. Not a great beer for the bar; but unfortunately this one is not bottled at this time so ... Growler calling.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jul 13, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +4%

On tap at General Lafayette's Winterfest. This rating is based on the several servings I received of this particular beer.
Appears a semi transparent haze of hahogany with a small white head that slowly fades out. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of bourbon, caramel, cocoa, vanilla, oak, and raisins. To me, it doesn't get much better than this.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with the bourbon being subtle but present in the already sugary, caramel mix. Wonderful idea that Flying Fish should bottle up sometime in the big 750's, like they did with the barleywine.
Mouthfeel is of sweet raisins, brown sugar, and caramel in a medium body. Slightly thin finish but a real fine winner based on any scale.

weeare138, Feb 19, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to NeroFiddled for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a slightly cloudy light grapeish color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head which leaves quickly, some islands left behind. The nose is slightly sweet, malty, yeasty, bready, slightly spicy, oak, bourbon, touch of caramel. The taste is sweet, slightly tangy, yeasty, touch of grapes, raisins, oaky, nice touch of bourbon, and caramel. The alcohol can be felt going down, nice warming effect. Light-Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a pretty tasty brew, should be bottled, glad to have had a chance to try it out, thanks Jim.

Wasatch, May 10, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

On draught at the Oregon Brewers Festival, I had a full pint in the plastic mug, and took good notes. Interesting, in that I could've sworn they said it was brewed only for this festival and not even available at the brewery, but the other reviewers have clearly had it elsewhere. So maybe this is a slightly different batch, or I misread the flier. Anyways, the Bourbon Barrel Abbey Dubbel (as they called it there, with the added 'abbey') is a murky brown, on the lighter side, with only the slightest wisp of skim. Looks a lot like iced tea.

The smell is almost all bourbon, with some dark fruits and a touch of spice laying beneath.

The taste is really dominated by bourbon initially, but once I adjusted (and honestly, after the first sip, I wasn't sure that I would), it really opened up. Nice vanilla, honey, oak, grapes, and a bit of abbey yeast spice. There was also a noticeable void of phenols, which I think are pretty common in dubbels. In spite of the bourbon booziness, this was very smooth. At first I feared that I had way more of this beer then I'd want, but by the end, I was tempted to get a second pint! I do have to say though that with the grape sweetness being much more dominant then the spiciness, it seemed more like a BSDA then a dubbel to me...but since I prefer those, I was stoked.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly crisp in spite of being almost flat, with a medium body.

This was very enjoyable after the 1st sip, which was like doing a shot of bourbon. But I think that reaction is more of a mental to trigger to the taste then the actual alochol content, which wasn't that high. I'm sure this is a first rate dubbel before it even went into the bourbon barrel, I'll have to seek that out.

ccrida, Jul 27, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Flying Fish Bourbon Barrel Aged Belgian Abbey Dubbel. I was able to try this Flying Fish not at the brewery, but at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, PA. Their beer information sheet said this beer clocks in at 7.5% ABV. They served in to me in a wine goblet.

This Flying Fish poured a dark chestnut brown with quite a few ruby red highlights along the edges. The head of foam was white in color and less than 1/2 an inch in height. It did however have nice retention that left behind foamy white rings and a few spots of lace around the glass. The lack of foam could have been caused by the pour from the tap, but it doesn't matter all that much when the color of the beer is this good.

Oh man was the aroma sweet! This aroma was very sweet with candi sugar, a hint of roasted malts, a touch of dark chocolate, a drop of bourbon, and ends with a subtle charred oak. If it's swirled around, more oak and bourbon and oak will emerge, but not enough to conquer the overall sweetness of the aroma.

The taste starts off sweet and lightly bitter with candi sugar, bitter herbal hops, and sweet molasses. After the taste crosses the molasses, the taste then gets malty with a splash of dark chocolate, a hint of roasted malts, and then finishes up with a touch bourbon and charred oak. The taste was busting at the seems with sweet roasted flavors, but the best part of the beer was the fact that even though you got to taste oak and bourbon, you got those flavors without any of the alcohol burning associated with those flavors. It was complex and extremely well done!

Even though this was a barrel aged Abbey Dubbel, the mouthfeel was medium bodied with a nice sized aftertaste of oak, bourbon, roasted malts, and dark chocolate. The aftertaste was just like the initial taste, you could taste the oak and bourbon, but you got those flavors without the alcohol burn after it.

I honestly wish they had this at the brewery because this is by far the best beer I've had from Flying Fish! I would love to have another crack at this beer, but I believe this is one of their rotating release series. It's a shame you don't see this very often.

AltBock, Jul 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Pours a rich, near-still mahogany body with a scant few bubbles that could scarcely be called a head.

Smell: Well, its bourbony, I'll give it that. That fact is beyond question! Aromawise, it reminds me of a bourbon-soaked cake my mother prepares during Christmastime, with notes of vanilla, caramel, and, of course, bourbon.

Taste: Ah, bourbon, a drink I've had good experiences with. The flavor is largely of bourbon, but the taste also has it's fair share of dark, sugar-coated fruits, caramel, and nuts. Finishes sweet and boozey, with a nice oaken zip to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Plenty of alcohol warmth.

Drinkability: A wonderfully done bourbon barrel beer that, mercifully, isn't too sweet, heavy-bodied, or overwhelmingly bourbony.

ChainGangGuy, Jul 25, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

WOW, finally Flying Fish released this ambrosia of the gods!!! This is one hard to find beer, and the challenge was hunting it down. We finally found it on tapat the Grey Lodge Pub in Northeast Philly. Ran there!!!! AHHH, the sweet aroma tickeled the nose! I missed you so...Oh, Mr. Flying Fish, please makemoreof this and more often!!
The pint glass came to me without a hint ofhead or foam, which lead me to believe what's up? After a sniff of the top of the glass the sweetness came back, and after a long, deep sip, the maltiness and the hint of bourbon traveled to my satisfied belly!!!
My words can't convince you that this is probably one of the best domestic microbrew, you'll have to taste it for yourself!!

thequeen711, Jul 27, 2008

brheuer, Mar 18, 2013
Bourbon Barrel Dubbel from Flying Fish Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.