Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 639 | Reviews: 257
Reviews by Juuroumaru:
3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see Flying Fish down here in NC,I used to drnk alot of their stuff back in my Philly days.Poured into a goblet a hazed peach color with a nice fluffy bone white crown that left two nice rings of lace as it settled very slowly into a frothy mass.Spicey phenols and citrus fruit mainly in the nose,the phenols really hit hard.Pretty sharp in the mouth at first,it does mellow after a bit but it takes awhile,phenolic spice,white pepper,and a healthy dose of citric hop on the palate,the phenols seem to take over to much of the profile for me after mid glass.Eh,its ok but the phenols are just to big for me to enjoy very much.

2.33/5  rDev -38.8%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

Cheers!

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

A- Looks like a nice tripel, golden with a hint of copper. A 1 inch white head sits on top and fades slowly, leaving good lacing.

S- Huh, a lot going on. Very cidery with some alcohol coming through and american hops. A little like someone mixed a hard cider with an IPA, not very enjoyable but the belgian yeast notes of pear and apricot bring it a little bit back, still kind of weird.

T- Similar to the smell but without the alcohol being noticeable and the fruity yeast character going more in the direction of pear than apple. The flavors are all bold and in a lot of different directions (fruity yeast, sweet lager like malt and citrusy american hops). Overall it doesn't taste bad but it seems like some of the flavors are unnecessary. Were it a little more bitter it would be a cidery belgian IPA, but as is it's just a strange take on a tripel.

M- Feels right, lots of good carbonation with a fairly thin but perky sip.

D- For how strong in ABV this beer is it certainly is drinkable, that said the flavors never came together in the way I would've liked and the belgian yeast notes were not quite where they should have been. A nice try but not something I would buy again.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Large bottle capped and red foil over the top. No freshness info. Pours medium amber with an apricot hue. The head is off white, appropriatly huge initially, decent retention showed then spotted lace left behind. Fruity candy sugar sweet nose. Got to respect em for swinging for the fences with a take on this outstanding style, but this one does not make it out of the middle of the road. Some phenolic tendencies, but not enough, some hoppy feel but not enough. All in all a decent tasting brew, but ends up being a lower level American tripel, compared to the all stars of the style.

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm from South NJ - so I love to support Flying Fish, but this comes off to me as closer to a DIPA than a tripel. First of all - the color is more amber than light golden. Smell is very good - but more floral that a typical tripel. I like the taste - and am not disappointed, but this tastes nothing like your world class tripels - i.e. La Fin Du Monde, Hennepin, Tripel Karmeliet, Long Strange, Westmalle. It has that sweet, slightly hoppy flavor of a DIPA. Nice carbonation and mouthfeel.
Like I said - not disappointing at all, just not your typical tripel. I would buy again, but wouldn't drink if I was jonesing for a tripel.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle purchased from Hop City in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of sweet light malts with large amounts of light fruits - bananas and tropical. Also present are slight amounts of honey and even slighter amounts of herbal hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells though not quite as complex. Crisp and light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by bright tropical fruits. Midway through the sip hints of banana and orange peel flavors work their way into things and the flavor profile sweetens with the addition of honey. Finally, slight amounts of earthy hop flavors come into play before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I thought this was closer to a Belgian IPA than a tripel due to the high amount of tropical fruit influence but whatever it is it's a nicely made beer. Well worth a shot.

2.9/5  rDev -23.9%

ST: 12oz poured into a snifter.

A: Dark gold (it looks like dark honey in a jar) with a very thin head; though, it does leave decent lacing, and it has steady carbonation.

S: Surprisingly, hops dominate the aroma. Citrus and pine stand out. There is some malt and clove in the background.

T: Deep sweet malt with large bread flavors dominate the starting flavors. Some clove and fruit meet in the middle. The finish is a lot of spice and bitterness from the hops. There is also warmth from the alcohol.

M: Very light for a Tripel.

O: This is a bit of a disappointment as a Tripel. I have enjoyed other things Flying Fish has brewed, but this beer does not have near the quality of other Tripels I have had. It is very dark (darker than most Tripels I have had that are brewed with Belgium candied sugar). The aroma and the flavor is not as complex as other Tripels, and the beer is not as heavy as it should be (I am not saying it needs to be syrup, but it should have some larger body).

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I love Begian Triples and this one is no exception.

Poured from a bottle to a glass. It was bubbly, moderate head. Golden and slight cloudy. Hazy as the bottle describes it. Slight floral undertone, but can taste/smell clove like its an Easter ham. Slightly bitter at the finish. Not too overpowering for the 9.7% abv.

Like and recommend it!

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 750 ml into two separate tulip-style chalices (one for me and one for my wife). A very nice looking beer of a copper color that bubbles up with a frothy head and leaves you with a healthy lacing. Carbonation seems moderate and I noted quite a bit of sediment - obviously heavy as it settled immediately - on the bottom of my glass.

From here on this beer is very deceiving. The side panel of the label gives the impression of a Belgian style brew yet at first whiff hops evade my nostrils. Perhaps the front of the label can explain this as it is clearly denoted this is an "American Trippel". Ok, fine - it's a take on a Belgian style, and obviously hops are a big part of American craft brewing. This beer is really more of a "Belgian IPA" and I'll try to review it as such (otherwise it would have been scored much lower).

The taste is more of the same, hops. I was hoping for some Belgian attributes to shine through, but they really weren't there for me as the bitterness knocks out these other elements like Chuck Norris's roundhouse. However that seems to be the ticket for a Belgian IPA - so I suppose we can call it average. A bit on the dry side with earthy yeast on the back end. The mouthful warms with spicy alcohol biting the tongue, I wished for more.

As someone who enjoys hops, I'm going to be more forgiving on the drinkability. It's a good drink, just very elusive in its labeling. Where is that % abv anyway?

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Flying Fish- Exit 4

A- Bright golden yellow orange with a thick billowy white head. Good solid head, little lacing.
S- Sweet citrusy fruits, sugar, banana, and alcohol.
T- Sweet sugary fruits, mostly citrus lemon and orange with banana and sweet buttery caramel malt.
M- Starts off sweet and sugary but quickly becomes dry, chalky, and calciumy.

Overall- Decent overall but I wouldn't purchase again. Hopefully the Exit series gets better!

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a hazy golden peach sunset sort of color, and the head is snowy white, creamy, fluffy and firm. Very much authentic Belgian tripel looking.

The aroma of Exit 4 is a wonderful thing. Plenty of fruit juice sweetness (pear especially) and just a flash of alcohol. The spices usually found in a tripel's nose seem usurped here by bright, floral hops, which perfume the beer with an American slant. I'm thinking Belgian IPA here.

What the nose promise-eth, the taste deliver-eth. Hops come on strong, delivering a strong dose of orange flesh and peel, plus mango; pear juice; has a particularly earthy yeast character (though not funky-earthy); sweetened herbal tea; a little chalky; just enough alcohol to make you appreciate it, never overstaying its welcome. It's a balanced, fruity, hoppy tripel, which again makes me think Belgian IPA. And also makes me think "baby aspirin" in the best possible way. I'm reminded most of Victory's Golden Monkey but probably better, and certainly more IPA-leaning.

Prickly carbonation is not too prickly, actually gives an appropriate edge to the citrus/tropical element, also a bit sticky and a strong medium body.

Call it a tripel or, I think more accurately, a Belgian IPA, Exit 4 is a really great and apparently underrated beer. I'll happily rate it, and highly. Need...more...this...stuff...

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out a nice dark gold hazy beer, moderately carbonated. Smells of banana / alcohol esters. A semi sweet beer alcohol is very well hidden.Mouthfeel is so so. Very drinkable for a tripel, this is the type of beer that could totally sneak up on you.

3.27/5  rDev -14.2%

An unexpected package arrived from my wife's cousin in New Jersey a couple of months ago, and inside were several Flying Fish bottles. I've got nice in-laws. This bottle of Exit 4 is the last one left.
Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Gordon tulip glass. Body is a mellow golden hue, topped by a short-lived crown of fluffy white head that recedes to nothing after a couple of minutes. Light carbonation bubbles up but is also spent within a few minutes.
Sweet aroma of tropical fruit, pale malt, and some candi sugar. Notes of pineapple, grassy hops, and a decent whiff of booze that is noticeably less than the other bottle I had in May.
Palate is again sweet malt and fruit, without much hop presence up front. Notes of pineapple and white grape, along with pale malt and a touch of honey. A mild, grassy hop presence comes through on the swallow, but fades on the finish. Nice, warming alcohol provides a nice end note.
Body is full and a little syrupy, without much carbonation. Not how I really like for a tripel to be, but not wholly unpleasant. This is maybe a beer that needs to be consumed while it's pretty fresh. Nice flavor, but I think it's a bit faded, and the body leaves a bit to be desired.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Another bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc. Thanks, man.

I have no idea what year this bottle was released. The label says it's the inaugural release in the series, whenever that may have been.

Exit 4 is a nice golden color. It's rather hazy, and has a distinct orange tint with backlighting. The head is slightly off-white and rises to just over a finger deep. It falls rather quickly, but leaves a moderate amount of sticky lace in its wake.

The nose is alright. Yeast seems to be the focal point, but it doesn't smell distinctly Belgian. I like it alright, but I'd like more Belgian character. It's a little fruity. I'm getting apple, pear, and a little grapefruit. Spices are relatively light in the mix, but pepper and perhaps a bit of clove are noted. Alcohol is blended well. I'm not getting much at all. Not bad, but far from great.

The flavor is on-par with the nose. Yeast is very strong in flavor throughout. It doesn't have enough of that distinct Belgian flavor to appease. It's not bad, but it needs to really get things going. Spices are more aggressive in flavor, especially pepper. There's a little clove, but I suspect it's muted to a large degree by the strong pepper flavor. Fruit flavors of apple, pear, and grapefruit are present. Alcohol is noted, but isn't warm by any stretch. It finishes peppery, a little bitter, and dry.

Exit 4 has a medium body that is smooth. Carbonation feels light. Its feel is probably its strongest feature. Drinkability is above average. I like the flavor, but I'm far from loving it. I'll probably polish off the 750, but I definitely don't need any more than that.

This is my first beer from Flying Fish Brewing Company. Exit 4 is alright, but it's not a great Tripel. The Belgian yeast aspect is sorely missing. Not uncommon for American takes on Belgian styles. If it had that, it'd probably warrant a few score bumps. All in all, Exit 4 isn't bad for a pit stop. But, I suspect that after a bottle, you'll be all too ready to get back on the freeway. Definitely worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's with mixed expectations. "American trippel" is a dangerous label that's meant a clean and boozy beer without much character.

This tastes a little more like a saison or strong Belgian pale because the beer is heavy on fruit, with juicier than usual spice. There's a sweetish lemon, maybe even lemongrass, kick. There's also a floral, mildly hoppy character with mild toasted grains. Overall, I'd say this is an interesting take on the tripel. If you like Victory's Golden Monkey, try this out.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Almost a finger of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is mild; only a little grain and lemon.
The taste is barnyardish and alcohol with a little lemon thrown in.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
An average beer in a tough category.

2.97/5  rDev -22%

Another review I guess I wasn't fast enough with. Gone....

This 'American Trippel' I pour into a Belgian globe glass. Pours a clear golden with a minimal cap of foam and light retention.

Aroma of pils malt and candi sugar. Warms to offer some nice yeast components but the lack of carbonation keeps things at bay.

Taste follows with some neutral pils malt and some piney hops. With warming this beer offers some hope as for the American Trippel but it is still lacking. Feel starts off quite light and warms up to moderate.

Overall a decent stab but let it warm up to 50 or more before you open the bottle. Quite undercarbonated below that temp.

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

First off, Flying Fish is completely stepping up their game. The bottling and appearance is truly awesome. Very classy and extremely well-done. I had been growing tired of Flying Fish's signature offerings (Pale Ale, ESB, etc) so this was a breath of fresh air.

A- Hazy golden orange color. Frothy white head looking like clouds. Very pillowy. Some lacing. Very nice looking in my glass. Carbonation bubbles flowing like wild swarms of bees.

S- The first thing that came to my mind was pine and lemon grass. Citrus. Intense hop scent for a "Tripel."

T- This is definitely unlike any Tripel I have had before. Sweet at times with some candy like flavors. Extremely bitter at times with some serious hop action- bready. Sugars and alcohol. Alcohol was evident as this beer was quite young but still nice to drink.

M- Medium bodied. Heavily carbonated. Warming on my tongue and throat.

D- I enjoyed this beer. I loved the flavors although it could take some time to weaken some of the intensity.

Flying Fish- KEEP IT UP!

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer is something else. It poured honey colored with a thick white head that quickly dissolved. The Smell is sort of like cherry though a little to thin to completely discern. Taste is a pleasant blend of hopps and malts which finishes with a bitter sweet taste. This along with the smooth bubbly feel makes for one very drinkable beer.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Big thanks goes out ot my boy Lunch for sending me multiples of this one in a past trade as extras! Served from bottle into a Surly Darkness snifter (also compliments of Lunch). Poured a hazy red-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, and dark fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, and subtle alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I really did enjoy this brew quite a bit which was surprising to me. Based on the trade number I got this one from Lunch, I have had this one AWHILE. Seemed to have held up quite well though if I'm honest. Might hold onto the others for awhile longer to see what becomes of them at a later date. A definite must try if you have the opportunity.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Cloudy orange tan in color, kinda looks like ice tea. This smells more like an IPA with some clove with little yeast apparent. There is a hop forward flavor with tangy citrus and mellow pine. The finish is more malt sweetness with the alcohol well hidden for 9%; just a nice warming. This is a very drinkable beer that to me only fits the style in malt finish and ABV. Tasty but not memorable.

Poured from 750ml bottle. A little darker in color than most tripels. Apricot color with two fingers of white head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass. Aroma i slightly fruity with hints of tropical fruit and white grapes. Faint hints of spice such as cloves. Alcohol is very evident in the nose. The flavor seems to be a bit sloppy. Alcohol just dominates the palate. If that was not bad enough, this beer is also very dry and has a bitter finish. Hard to pick out any of the Belgian qualities. Sort of tastes like cheap, high ABV wine. I think I am being generous giving this a 2.5 in taste. The body is on par for the style and is nicely carbonated. Bottle conditioning worked its magic here. Not an enjoyable beer and aging will do little to improve this beer. Not impressed with my first Flying Fish limited series beer.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

A - opaque deep golden color with lots of carbonation. Small white mostly fading head with no lacing.
S - Apricot and peach quickly on the nose. A bit of sweat from the yeast. Some kind of honey in there as well
T - Bitter with a smooth compliment of sweet malt. A hint of citrus peel.
M - Lively and bitter that coats the tongue. A nice smooth finish
D - As drinkable as a Tripel can be.

I am not a huge fan of Flying Fish, but it is nice to see them stepping out of the box. This is a nice brew that was quite a surprise.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle conditioned, 9.5% abv.

Pours a smooth amber color, with no significant head, just a light lace of small bubbles. High carbonation in this one, as even 6-7 minutes after pouring there is a steady stream of action off the bottom of the glass. (I do drink out of an etched bottom pilsner glass though.)

Mild fruity aroma with notes of bread and apricot(?). Very pleasing.

First sip bursts in the mouth with orange peel, zesty lemon and again some apricot. Very flavorful and enjoyable despite a misleading pour. You can't always judge a book by it's cover.

Extremely drinkable, this is a great session beer despite the high abv. One of the "lightest" high-alcohol beers I've had the pleasure of sampling. Anyone who enjoys even an Amstel Light would definitely improve their experiences by sampling this.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Wegmans mix a six pick up.

Pours light gold, partially see through. Low foam. Notes of sugar and hints of clove. Banana citrus too. Taste is a complex fruity blend with a unique pointed hop. All works together. Embedded spices make for a very good beer.

to view more.