Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 4Exit 4

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009)

2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

(12oz bottle from Total Wine Desert Ridge). Pours clear golden with white head. Active carbonation and a bit of lacing. Aroma is musty and has dank hops, along with some citrus. Is this an IPA?? Taste is sweet and has artificial perfumey notes. Medium bodied. This is the worst example of a trippel I have ever had. Terrible.

2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Pours with a foamy white head that faded quickly. Slightly cloudy pale gold color. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very spicy and Yeasty. Later is learn what this has in store. A bit cleaner like. Not medicinal. But kitchen cleaner. Glade? Sharp and not soft at all.

Spicy, medicinal, yeasty, Chalky, some fruit, some pepper, earthy, mineral. Truthfully, lots going on here. I'm just not sure how much of it I like.

Very dry and chalky mouth feel.

Did not find this drinkable at all and I was not drawn to my next sip.

Sorry

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance -- Pours a bright golden hue, zero haze, with a slim lily-white head.

Smell -- Apricots, citrus, clove, mild banana and earthy Belgian yeast. Not thrilling, but my interest is piqued.

Taste -- Citrusy hops are prominent upon the sip. Honey malt sweetness, ripe pear, muted clove and bubblegum from the yeast. Alcohol is incredibly prominent, bracing even. Forceful resinous hop bitterness toward the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carb. Higher alcohols are biting, more akin to grain alcohol than a mild warming sensation.

Drinkability This beer was a bit of a chore. Classic tripel flavors were muted, hop presence was OVERKILL, and the alcohol presence was difficult to look over. Your mileage may vary, but I'll be avoiding this.

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

Cheers!

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

I must compliment Flying Fish for ingenuity. I know a lot of brewers are trying to tackle this "fusion" style of citrus hops and Belgian phenols. For me, it just never works.

The beer pours beautiful, the look of a powerfully deceiving tripple with a puffy white head. The aroma starts the fall from grace. The beer smells of plastic. The smell reminds me of being a kid and ripping into the packaging of a brand new action figure. The flavor is a bit better as the taste of both a good Belgian tripple and a solid IPA can both be percieved; however, the flavors compete for dominance instead of blending harmoniously. Finally the plastic returns which hides some pineapple and banana flavors that are lying in the background.

I think the problem here is that tripple is a big, expressinve beer. But, there is subtlety to the flavor. With Exit 4 the subtle flavors are masked behind a second layer of bold expressiveness.

I love the brewery for pushing the envelope and I look forward to buying the next release in the series. With innovation like this, Flying Fish is sure to hit a HUGE winner sooner than later.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a heavy caramel color and has the aroma of burnt oak. The aroma of the burnt wood is curious, but the taste is purely burnt. The beer pours with a bit more head than I would have liked and the aftertaste detracts from the overall experience. It tastes as if it were kept in a bag of charcoal as it was being brewed. Not by any means the worst beer in the world, but my first bottle will be my only bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

A - orange/gold, looks like a sunrise in the pint glass.

S - sweet syrup with floral/cirtus hop.

T&M - A lot going on here, my first impression was a sweet belgian, but slightly chalky flavor with strong hops bitterness, the finish was a blend of these flavors and had a medicinal quality to it. Not all bad, but not really good either.

D - just one for now.

Overall, looks great, smells great, I just don't think I got the flavor they were going for. A first time for this one, will give it a 2nd chance to see if it was an off day for me or the beer.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

Pours a sparkling golden color with an average white head. A bit of spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries some light grain and bread plus a bit of spice. Nothing too complex or involved. The flavor is slightly bready with a light sweetness and just a touch of yeast. Not too much going on. Light to medium body with good carbonation. Falls pretty flat for the style.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a hazy golden yellow iwth hints of orange coloring. Small yeast particulate suspended in the beer when held up to the light.

Aroma dominated by sweet belgian yeast fruitiness. That is the best way to describe it.

Taste is similar to aroma, except with a very apparent hop betterness and alcohol punch. Belgian yeast flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and the alcohol is not well hidden at all.

Mouth feel is a solid medium with fine carbonation bubbles.

Overall, an average beer with very low drinkability due to the combo of fusel alcohol and hop bitterness being overpowering, and unenjoyable as the beer is consumed.

From a 750 ml bottle:

A- A bright, clear gold/copper appearance wtih a moderate head and extensive lacing. From the sheer appearance, it is extemely appetizing.

S- The initial pour provided a preview of the taste; a good deal of hops passed through my nose. This could be both good and bad.

T- Not what I expected. When a brewer labels one of their products, I would imagine they take into consideration what exactly they have produced. What I mean by that is that labeling this as a Belgian Tripel is almost false advertising. This is could be labeled more specifically as a Belgian I.P.A.. or even simply an I.P.A. The bitterness displayed by the massive amount of hops used doesn't define this as a tripel.

M- I do prefer my beers to be moderately carbonated, so this fits the bill.

D - What I expected when I bought this brew was not met. I would categorize this beer as being more in line with Piraat Amber Tripel, which also really isn't a tripel at all, aside from the alcohol content.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

I've had good American Tripels, but this bottle isn't one of them. Smells vaguely like stinky feet. Tastes like it's Pale Ale malt bill, transitions into odd and mild phenol, then sweet finish with some lingering hop flavor and bitterness. It's not Belgian phenolic enough to be interesting, but lacks clean IPA yeast/malt flavor too. Sweet (for a tripel) finish is just heartbreaking.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Was close to drain pouring this on first taste but it got a good bit better as it warmed. Lots of citrus hops and alcohol. The biggest problem with this beer is the alcohol actually is stronger than the 9.5 percent that it checks in at.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company