Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

good

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009)

cjdun86, May 29, 2013

Alex5, Dec 10, 2013

mcsauter82, Aug 12, 2012

bacasnax, Apr 02, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

(12oz bottle from Total Wine Desert Ridge). Pours clear golden with white head. Active carbonation and a bit of lacing. Aroma is musty and has dank hops, along with some citrus. Is this an IPA?? Taste is sweet and has artificial perfumey notes. Medium bodied. This is the worst example of a trippel I have ever had. Terrible.

trappistlover, Jun 26, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Pours with a foamy white head that faded quickly. Slightly cloudy pale gold color. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very spicy and Yeasty. Later is learn what this has in store. A bit cleaner like. Not medicinal. But kitchen cleaner. Glade? Sharp and not soft at all.

Spicy, medicinal, yeasty, Chalky, some fruit, some pepper, earthy, mineral. Truthfully, lots going on here. I'm just not sure how much of it I like.

Very dry and chalky mouth feel.

Did not find this drinkable at all and I was not drawn to my next sip.

Sorry

Reagan1984, Jun 26, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

Appearance -- Pours a bright golden hue, zero haze, with a slim lily-white head.

Smell -- Apricots, citrus, clove, mild banana and earthy Belgian yeast. Not thrilling, but my interest is piqued.

Taste -- Citrusy hops are prominent upon the sip. Honey malt sweetness, ripe pear, muted clove and bubblegum from the yeast. Alcohol is incredibly prominent, bracing even. Forceful resinous hop bitterness toward the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carb. Higher alcohols are biting, more akin to grain alcohol than a mild warming sensation.

Drinkability This beer was a bit of a chore. Classic tripel flavors were muted, hop presence was OVERKILL, and the alcohol presence was difficult to look over. Your mileage may vary, but I'll be avoiding this.

yeahnatenelson, Oct 12, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

Cheers!

LSUExplorer03, Sep 09, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

Druss157, Nov 18, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

I must compliment Flying Fish for ingenuity. I know a lot of brewers are trying to tackle this "fusion" style of citrus hops and Belgian phenols. For me, it just never works.

The beer pours beautiful, the look of a powerfully deceiving tripple with a puffy white head. The aroma starts the fall from grace. The beer smells of plastic. The smell reminds me of being a kid and ripping into the packaging of a brand new action figure. The flavor is a bit better as the taste of both a good Belgian tripple and a solid IPA can both be percieved; however, the flavors compete for dominance instead of blending harmoniously. Finally the plastic returns which hides some pineapple and banana flavors that are lying in the background.

I think the problem here is that tripple is a big, expressinve beer. But, there is subtlety to the flavor. With Exit 4 the subtle flavors are masked behind a second layer of bold expressiveness.

I love the brewery for pushing the envelope and I look forward to buying the next release in the series. With innovation like this, Flying Fish is sure to hit a HUGE winner sooner than later.

lord2464, Apr 07, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a heavy caramel color and has the aroma of burnt oak. The aroma of the burnt wood is curious, but the taste is purely burnt. The beer pours with a bit more head than I would have liked and the aftertaste detracts from the overall experience. It tastes as if it were kept in a bag of charcoal as it was being brewed. Not by any means the worst beer in the world, but my first bottle will be my only bottle.

ronniebruner, Apr 06, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

A - orange/gold, looks like a sunrise in the pint glass.

S - sweet syrup with floral/cirtus hop.

T&M - A lot going on here, my first impression was a sweet belgian, but slightly chalky flavor with strong hops bitterness, the finish was a blend of these flavors and had a medicinal quality to it. Not all bad, but not really good either.

D - just one for now.

Overall, looks great, smells great, I just don't think I got the flavor they were going for. A first time for this one, will give it a 2nd chance to see if it was an off day for me or the beer.

al3, Mar 13, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

Pours a sparkling golden color with an average white head. A bit of spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries some light grain and bread plus a bit of spice. Nothing too complex or involved. The flavor is slightly bready with a light sweetness and just a touch of yeast. Not too much going on. Light to medium body with good carbonation. Falls pretty flat for the style.

Thorpe429, Jun 09, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a hazy golden yellow iwth hints of orange coloring. Small yeast particulate suspended in the beer when held up to the light.

Aroma dominated by sweet belgian yeast fruitiness. That is the best way to describe it.

Taste is similar to aroma, except with a very apparent hop betterness and alcohol punch. Belgian yeast flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and the alcohol is not well hidden at all.

Mouth feel is a solid medium with fine carbonation bubbles.

Overall, an average beer with very low drinkability due to the combo of fusel alcohol and hop bitterness being overpowering, and unenjoyable as the beer is consumed.

FloppyDog, Oct 19, 2009

From a 750 ml bottle:

A- A bright, clear gold/copper appearance wtih a moderate head and extensive lacing. From the sheer appearance, it is extemely appetizing.

S- The initial pour provided a preview of the taste; a good deal of hops passed through my nose. This could be both good and bad.

T- Not what I expected. When a brewer labels one of their products, I would imagine they take into consideration what exactly they have produced. What I mean by that is that labeling this as a Belgian Tripel is almost false advertising. This is could be labeled more specifically as a Belgian I.P.A.. or even simply an I.P.A. The bitterness displayed by the massive amount of hops used doesn't define this as a tripel.

M- I do prefer my beers to be moderately carbonated, so this fits the bill.

D - What I expected when I bought this brew was not met. I would categorize this beer as being more in line with Piraat Amber Tripel, which also really isn't a tripel at all, aside from the alcohol content.

irishking1977, Mar 27, 2009

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012

user785335, Sep 10, 2013

cde1218, Sep 14, 2012

IPyAy, Mar 16, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -28%

I've had good American Tripels, but this bottle isn't one of them. Smells vaguely like stinky feet. Tastes like it's Pale Ale malt bill, transitions into odd and mild phenol, then sweet finish with some lingering hop flavor and bitterness. It's not Belgian phenolic enough to be interesting, but lacks clean IPA yeast/malt flavor too. Sweet (for a tripel) finish is just heartbreaking.

Nay, Feb 29, 2012

ErinnA, Aug 23, 2014

Zetcha7x, Sep 13, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a murky amber golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, and alcohol/cleaning products. Not enjoyable.

t - Tastes of alcohol, citrus hops and pine hops. Slightly better than the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - Not a great beer. Wouldn't look to have again.

mdfb79, Oct 24, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours slightly hazy and golden in a tulip with a 3 finger near-white head. Nose is hoppy and citrus with some bready yeast and clove. As it warms I actually get a bit of strawberry.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium to high carbonation and a dry finish.

Wow. Intensely hoppy for a tripel. Taste is over-the-top bitter and hoppy and kind of takes you by surprise. A bit of astringency and alcohol warmth lingers on the tongue. Bread, yeast, a little peppery. Bottle mentions a "subdued bitterness"... I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe with a little age on this it'll mellow out a bit.

Drinkability is going to take a bit of a hit on this one. I'm a big hop head but something is just not right about the balance of this beer. I don't entirely dislike it - it kind of grows on you - but I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

frothyhead, Apr 10, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -24.1%

ST: 12oz poured into a snifter.

A: Dark gold (it looks like dark honey in a jar) with a very thin head; though, it does leave decent lacing, and it has steady carbonation.

S: Surprisingly, hops dominate the aroma. Citrus and pine stand out. There is some malt and clove in the background.

T: Deep sweet malt with large bread flavors dominate the starting flavors. Some clove and fruit meet in the middle. The finish is a lot of spice and bitterness from the hops. There is also warmth from the alcohol.

M: Very light for a Tripel.

O: This is a bit of a disappointment as a Tripel. I have enjoyed other things Flying Fish has brewed, but this beer does not have near the quality of other Tripels I have had. It is very dark (darker than most Tripels I have had that are brewed with Belgium candied sugar). The aroma and the flavor is not as complex as other Tripels, and the beer is not as heavy as it should be (I am not saying it needs to be syrup, but it should have some larger body).

ianjsullivan, Jul 05, 2011