Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 4Exit 4

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009

This inspired Belgian-style Trippel has a hazy golden hue and the aroma of citrus with hints of banana and clove. Predominant Belgian malt flavors give way to a subdued bitterness in the finish.

I'm not a fan of yeasty beers but this one isn't bad. Some noticeable hops help it out. Smell is all yeast for me. Taste is fruity up front followed by some nice hops and then aftertaste is lingering yeast. Not my style. nb

2.18/5  rDev -42.6%

(12oz bottle from Total Wine Desert Ridge). Pours clear golden with white head. Active carbonation and a bit of lacing. Aroma is musty and has dank hops, along with some citrus. Is this an IPA?? Taste is sweet and has artificial perfumey notes. Medium bodied. This is the worst example of a trippel I have ever had. Terrible.

2.21/5  rDev -41.8%

Pours with a foamy white head that faded quickly. Slightly cloudy pale gold color. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very spicy and Yeasty. Later is learn what this has in store. A bit cleaner like. Not medicinal. But kitchen cleaner. Glade? Sharp and not soft at all.

Spicy, medicinal, yeasty, Chalky, some fruit, some pepper, earthy, mineral. Truthfully, lots going on here. I'm just not sure how much of it I like.

Very dry and chalky mouth feel.

Did not find this drinkable at all and I was not drawn to my next sip.

2.27/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance -- Pours a bright golden hue, zero haze, with a slim lily-white head.

Smell -- Apricots, citrus, clove, mild banana and earthy Belgian yeast. Not thrilling, but my interest is piqued.

Taste -- Citrusy hops are prominent upon the sip. Honey malt sweetness, ripe pear, muted clove and bubblegum from the yeast. Alcohol is incredibly prominent, bracing even. Forceful resinous hop bitterness toward the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample prickly carb. Higher alcohols are biting, more akin to grain alcohol than a mild warming sensation.

Drinkability This beer was a bit of a chore. Classic tripel flavors were muted, hop presence was OVERKILL, and the alcohol presence was difficult to look over. Your mileage may vary, but I'll be avoiding this.

2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

2.52/5  rDev -33.7%

I must compliment Flying Fish for ingenuity. I know a lot of brewers are trying to tackle this "fusion" style of citrus hops and Belgian phenols. For me, it just never works.

The beer pours beautiful, the look of a powerfully deceiving tripple with a puffy white head. The aroma starts the fall from grace. The beer smells of plastic. The smell reminds me of being a kid and ripping into the packaging of a brand new action figure. The flavor is a bit better as the taste of both a good Belgian tripple and a solid IPA can both be percieved; however, the flavors compete for dominance instead of blending harmoniously. Finally the plastic returns which hides some pineapple and banana flavors that are lying in the background.

I think the problem here is that tripple is a big, expressinve beer. But, there is subtlety to the flavor. With Exit 4 the subtle flavors are masked behind a second layer of bold expressiveness.

I love the brewery for pushing the envelope and I look forward to buying the next release in the series. With innovation like this, Flying Fish is sure to hit a HUGE winner sooner than later.

2.62/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a heavy caramel color and has the aroma of burnt oak. The aroma of the burnt wood is curious, but the taste is purely burnt. The beer pours with a bit more head than I would have liked and the aftertaste detracts from the overall experience. It tastes as if it were kept in a bag of charcoal as it was being brewed. Not by any means the worst beer in the world, but my first bottle will be my only bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

I've had good American Tripels, but this bottle isn't one of them. Smells vaguely like stinky feet. Tastes like it's Pale Ale malt bill, transitions into odd and mild phenol, then sweet finish with some lingering hop flavor and bitterness. It's not Belgian phenolic enough to be interesting, but lacks clean IPA yeast/malt flavor too. Sweet (for a tripel) finish is just heartbreaking.

2.74/5  rDev -27.9%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

Pours a sparkling golden color with an average white head. A bit of spotty lacing on the way down. The nose carries some light grain and bread plus a bit of spice. Nothing too complex or involved. The flavor is slightly bready with a light sweetness and just a touch of yeast. Not too much going on. Light to medium body with good carbonation. Falls pretty flat for the style.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Was close to drain pouring this on first taste but it got a good bit better as it warmed. Lots of citrus hops and alcohol. The biggest problem with this beer is the alcohol actually is stronger than the 9.5 percent that it checks in at.

2.76/5  rDev -27.4%

From a 750 ml bottle:

A- A bright, clear gold/copper appearance wtih a moderate head and extensive lacing. From the sheer appearance, it is extemely appetizing.

S- The initial pour provided a preview of the taste; a good deal of hops passed through my nose. This could be both good and bad.

T- Not what I expected. When a brewer labels one of their products, I would imagine they take into consideration what exactly they have produced. What I mean by that is that labeling this as a Belgian Tripel is almost false advertising. This is could be labeled more specifically as a Belgian I.P.A.. or even simply an I.P.A. The bitterness displayed by the massive amount of hops used doesn't define this as a tripel.

M- I do prefer my beers to be moderately carbonated, so this fits the bill.

D - What I expected when I bought this brew was not met. I would categorize this beer as being more in line with Piraat Amber Tripel, which also really isn't a tripel at all, aside from the alcohol content.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow iwth hints of orange coloring. Small yeast particulate suspended in the beer when held up to the light.

Aroma dominated by sweet belgian yeast fruitiness. That is the best way to describe it.

Taste is similar to aroma, except with a very apparent hop betterness and alcohol punch. Belgian yeast flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and the alcohol is not well hidden at all.

Mouth feel is a solid medium with fine carbonation bubbles.

Overall, an average beer with very low drinkability due to the combo of fusel alcohol and hop bitterness being overpowering, and unenjoyable as the beer is consumed.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a murky amber golden color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, and alcohol/cleaning products. Not enjoyable.

t - Tastes of alcohol, citrus hops and pine hops. Slightly better than the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - Not a great beer. Wouldn't look to have again.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

A - orange/gold, looks like a sunrise in the pint glass.

S - sweet syrup with floral/cirtus hop.

T&M - A lot going on here, my first impression was a sweet belgian, but slightly chalky flavor with strong hops bitterness, the finish was a blend of these flavors and had a medicinal quality to it. Not all bad, but not really good either.

D - just one for now.

Overall, looks great, smells great, I just don't think I got the flavor they were going for. A first time for this one, will give it a 2nd chance to see if it was an off day for me or the beer.

2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

ST: 12oz poured into a snifter.

A: Dark gold (it looks like dark honey in a jar) with a very thin head; though, it does leave decent lacing, and it has steady carbonation.

S: Surprisingly, hops dominate the aroma. Citrus and pine stand out. There is some malt and clove in the background.

T: Deep sweet malt with large bread flavors dominate the starting flavors. Some clove and fruit meet in the middle. The finish is a lot of spice and bitterness from the hops. There is also warmth from the alcohol.

M: Very light for a Tripel.

O: This is a bit of a disappointment as a Tripel. I have enjoyed other things Flying Fish has brewed, but this beer does not have near the quality of other Tripels I have had. It is very dark (darker than most Tripels I have had that are brewed with Belgium candied sugar). The aroma and the flavor is not as complex as other Tripels, and the beer is not as heavy as it should be (I am not saying it needs to be syrup, but it should have some larger body).

2.92/5  rDev -23.2%

A few weeks ago i got a six of these, this is a favourite style of mine.

No foam pour to speak of, making this out look dissapointing, but I know it's an older bottle. The ginormous tripel karmelit glass gives off better aroma than the sam adams glass with the first five.

Smells lighter, banana over ripened and clove. Made for the masses, this is nowhere near my fave La Fin du Monde.

Lighter than i realzed, mild and tame with big breadyness. Alcohol heat, mild bitterness. Wet yeasty thing. Worth getting for that any meal belgian inspired treat.

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours slightly hazy and golden in a tulip with a 3 finger near-white head. Nose is hoppy and citrus with some bready yeast and clove. As it warms I actually get a bit of strawberry.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium to high carbonation and a dry finish.

Wow. Intensely hoppy for a tripel. Taste is over-the-top bitter and hoppy and kind of takes you by surprise. A bit of astringency and alcohol warmth lingers on the tongue. Bread, yeast, a little peppery. Bottle mentions a "subdued bitterness"... I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe with a little age on this it'll mellow out a bit.

Drinkability is going to take a bit of a hit on this one. I'm a big hop head but something is just not right about the balance of this beer. I don't entirely dislike it - it kind of grows on you - but I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

2.97/5  rDev -21.8%

Another review I guess I wasn't fast enough with. Gone....

This 'American Trippel' I pour into a Belgian globe glass. Pours a clear golden with a minimal cap of foam and light retention.

Aroma of pils malt and candi sugar. Warms to offer some nice yeast components but the lack of carbonation keeps things at bay.

Taste follows with some neutral pils malt and some piney hops. With warming this beer offers some hope as for the American Trippel but it is still lacking. Feel starts off quite light and warms up to moderate.

Overall a decent stab but let it warm up to 50 or more before you open the bottle. Quite undercarbonated below that temp.

2.98/5  rDev -21.6%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle thanks to an unnamed Advocate. No freshness date.

Pours a hazy brownish gold with thin to little off-white head. Nose has the classic markers of a triple: grain husks, mellow citrus, some herbal aromas. Palate is slick and sweet right off the bat. Malted grains flavor dominates and is joined with orange blossom honey. I would think an American Triple would be more "unique" than this. Too sweet for me, and I really like sweet triples. This is too loose on the mouthfeel; no structure at all. Not impressed, unfortunately.

Poured from 750ml bottle. A little darker in color than most tripels. Apricot color with two fingers of white head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass. Aroma i slightly fruity with hints of tropical fruit and white grapes. Faint hints of spice such as cloves. Alcohol is very evident in the nose. The flavor seems to be a bit sloppy. Alcohol just dominates the palate. If that was not bad enough, this beer is also very dry and has a bitter finish. Hard to pick out any of the Belgian qualities. Sort of tastes like cheap, high ABV wine. I think I am being generous giving this a 2.5 in taste. The body is on par for the style and is nicely carbonated. Bottle conditioning worked its magic here. Not an enjoyable beer and aging will do little to improve this beer. Not impressed with my first Flying Fish limited series beer.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Almost a finger of head on a clear, golden colored body.
The aroma is mild; only a little grain and lemon.
The taste is barnyardish and alcohol with a little lemon thrown in.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
An average beer in a tough category.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a dark, slightly hazy orange with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Some spices and bubblegum up front followed by sweet honey and light fruits. There's a strong grassy hop aroma on the finish, almost like a Belgian IPA.

T: Sweet fruits and honey at first with an underlying yeasty flavor. Grassy hop flavors follow along with a bit of an alcohol burn on the finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer has a pretty low attenuation and is sticky sweet where it should be light and crisp. The sweetness almost coats the mouth and the alcohol burn keep this from having the desired feel of a good tripel

O: Overall not a bad beer, but I'd almost call it a Belgian IPA rather than a tripel--the bottle even advertises its relative hoppiness compared to other tripels. I might rate it slightly higher as a BIPA, but as a tripel it is too sweet, thick, and lacking the light fruit flavors that make a good tripel.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Twelve ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Clear deep gold to bronze colored beer with a lightly off white head. The head is short-lived and leaves me with no lacing to speak of.

A cidery aroma, with big alcohol presence and hints of bubble gum and some spice. There is a yeasty character to the aroma as well. The taste is of green apple, tart pear with spice and huge alcohol warmth. Really the alcohol is up front in this tripel.

Light to medium bodied, not substantial in the mouthfeel department. Leaves you a little dry and still tasting alcohol. It's a sipper for sure, but it is not one of the better American versions of this style.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

A - The beer pours a slightly hazy light orange with a thin 2cm white head. This is a little darker than I was expecting for the style.

S - Subtle yet pronounced Simcoe and Amarillo hops immediate take over. This is totally unexpected for a tripel! There are some other light citrus fruits mixed in, but I'm not picking up anything that would make me think tripel. The smell is beautiful, but not really to style. Where is the spice? Where is the Belgian candi sugar?

T - Bitter citrus hops (the simcoe and amarillo right away) right up front. Beautiful tangerine and other citrus fruits. There is a little bit of tart fruit and spice, but the only thing that says Tripel to me is the alcohol burn.

M - Thin to medium body with high carbonation.

Unfortunately I'm not really impressed with this beer. It tasted more like a pale ale mixed with vodka and some spice. It's not a terrible beer, I just don't really think this lives up to my expectations. I'm sorry Flying Fish. I know you said it would be an American Tripel, but I'm just not biting.

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

"Affairs are easier of entrance than of exit; and it is but common prudence to see our way out before we venture in."

Ablaze apricot with butter rum borders and nowhere near Champagnesque carbonation. A lack of visible bubbles doesn't matter at all because three fingers of alabaster colored cream was created on the pour. The head looks splendid from its creation to its near demise, while gracing the glass with lovely lace in the interim.

The nose is strangely subdued, despite what should be distinctive ingredients on the hop side of the ledger. Simcoe, Columbus, Palisades and Amarillo aren't exactly classic for the style. Tripel would not have been my first guess if blinded... which is never good.

Exit 4 is a disappointment on the palate, it's as simple as that. This inaugural release in the brewery's self-proclaimed 'brewing experiment' does not rise to heights of Exit 11 (APWA), or even Exit 1 (foreign/export stout). It tastes like a relatively well-brewed American malt liquor that uses Belgian abbey ale yeast.

Age should not be a factor since this big brew is still months away from its first birthday. Besides, beer of this sort should last at least that long... and longer. The pale malt is too grainy and alcohol plays too big a role in the flavor profile. And yet, it stops well short of being hot and harsh.

Too bad that the unconventional (for the style) American hops don't play a bigger role. There's a bit of tropical fruitiness goin' on, but that only succeeds in making Exit 4 taste less like a true tripel than it already does. I would have settled for an American-hopped Belgian-style IPA, but it doesn't taste like one of those either.

Specifics include pears and apples macerated in grain alcohol, grapefruit and lemon zest, and a smattering of ground clove. In the end, it's a mishmash that won't scare the best domestic tripels, much less the best that Belgium has to offer. Time and warming don't change a thing, other than rounding off a few of the rougher edges with respect to flavor and mouthfeel.

Speaking of which, the beer feels pretty good in the mouth. It can't hold a candle to versions from Brouwerij Bosteels, Brouwerij St. Bernardus, et al, but it's more than acceptable if you like American-style big beer that isn't thick and chewy.

It looks like Flying Fish has decided that Exit 4 is good enough to be released in six packs. Here's hoping they performed a major overhaul, because the beer that I'm drinking right now isn't ready for prime time. Even though it has a rough sort of charm, that has never been enough where Belgian-style tripels are concerned.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company