Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 4Exit 4

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009)
3.43/5  rDev -10%

Bottle date: unknown

A: Pours out a hazy golden-on-copper ale. A transient loosely packed bone white head falls to a see thru, broken sheet of the same. Unimpressive. No lacing.

S: Citrus, pine and earthy hops. WTF?! The grain comes through midway and the yeast only whispers in the background. This smells more like a belgian IPA. Hmmm..

T: Up front, the hops add a bitterness which weaves into sweet bready characters from the hops. The yeast is finally a followup to the beer and provides a good earthy flavor. Much to my surprise I like this. I wouldn't call it true to the style, but not bad at all. Some hints of corn in there. The alcohol is surprisingly evident. There are some metallic tones on the finish as well.

M: Medium to full bodied with typical spritely carb. Finish is relatively dry for the style. Feels just barely creamy in the tongue.

O: Not my favorite Tripel, and IMO, not much of a triple. Much to their efforts, however, this is not a bad beer in any way. It in fact is pleasant. Would enjoy again - wish I new the bottle date.

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a bright, clear golden-orange color. The medim-sized, off-white head has a even, foamy consistency. Retention is decent. A little lacing sticks to the glass, but not nearly at the same levels of some other tripels.

S: Tangy, fruity, and alcoholic are the best words for the aroma. Not much in terms of malt complexity, but there's a lot of yeast character (tangy and spicy notes) and a prominent hop profile (citric and tropical/fruity) to go along with some fairly noticeable alcohol. Non-traditional, but interesting.

T: Some lightly grainy malt presence, along with some sweetness. Not an especially dry tripel. Yeast character provides spicy, peppery, and lightly tangy flavors. Hop bitterness is solid. Fairly vibrant tropical/citrus hop flavor overall, with a minor floral note underneath it all. Alcohol isn't shy, lending a bit of heat.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is average. A bit of dryness, but for a tripel, this is lazily carbonated and not very dry. As mentioned above, alcohol lends some heat.

D: An enjoyable, interesting beer that shoots stylistic guidelines to hell. Has at least as much in common with a Belgian-inspired IPA as with a tripel, but this drinks surprisingly cohesively. Worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Fantastic rich golden color with a very robust foamy head that clings to the glass very well.
S: Nice spicy hop aroma. Very rich and herbal like a parsley or corriander.
T: Deep and complex with great bitter hoppiness and fruity bready malt to it. Very much like the herbs for a fish of sorts.
M/O: Not the crispest carbonation that I was expecting but the beer has a great complex flavor with some great sweetness and bitter hop flavor.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz. Bottle: This one pours a fairly clear dark golden color. There was just a touch of a white head on it that went away quickly. For a bottled conditioned Belgian, there was no sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Nice nose, but a bit light for a Tripel. I get some orange, clove, faint wheat and breadiness. Somewhat sweet. Some of your typical tripel characteristics are missing. I get a hint of clove, orange, banana and some wheat. Maybe even some pear? Actually some hop bite to the finish. Not bad, but a little different for a tripel.

My first Flying Fish beer ever...

A: Gold in color, crystal clear, and with a nice 1/2 inch or so head that didn't go softly.

S: Grassy and then some. Under first inspection, it reminded me of a Belgian IPA. Sweet, hoppy, sugary, and very good.

T: Once again, if someone served this to me sight unseen, I would have pegged it as a Belgian IPA. Sweet, very juice-like, with no alcohol detected. Pleasant hop profile.

M: Danger, danger, Will Robinson! This one was smooth, but not as interesting as I'd hoped. The carbonation was moderate, and so was the lacing.

O: Trippel my ass... this was a Belgian IPA with pixie stick dust added. Still, pretty good stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Golden, with 1 finger of white head.

Nice orange-ish citrus hop smell, with a pleasant sweet smell in the background.

Orange hop and malt sweet almost make this taste a little orange juice-ish. I mean, it isn't as if you were actually drinking orange juice, but there is definitely an essence of orange juice to this beer.

MF is fairly light, thought the citrus hop flavor lingers for a bit. This is actually a super nice beer, with not a hint of heat that I would expect with the alcohol content. Super happy to see Total Wines carrying flying fish beers here in Northern California,

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

A- Looks like a nice tripel, golden with a hint of copper. A 1 inch white head sits on top and fades slowly, leaving good lacing.

S- Huh, a lot going on. Very cidery with some alcohol coming through and american hops. A little like someone mixed a hard cider with an IPA, not very enjoyable but the belgian yeast notes of pear and apricot bring it a little bit back, still kind of weird.

T- Similar to the smell but without the alcohol being noticeable and the fruity yeast character going more in the direction of pear than apple. The flavors are all bold and in a lot of different directions (fruity yeast, sweet lager like malt and citrusy american hops). Overall it doesn't taste bad but it seems like some of the flavors are unnecessary. Were it a little more bitter it would be a cidery belgian IPA, but as is it's just a strange take on a tripel.

M- Feels right, lots of good carbonation with a fairly thin but perky sip.

D- For how strong in ABV this beer is it certainly is drinkable, that said the flavors never came together in the way I would've liked and the belgian yeast notes were not quite where they should have been. A nice try but not something I would buy again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Saw this new at the store and decided to try it out.

Served from a bottle into a chilled glass.

A - Cloudy and golden. Very little head to this one, with little lacing. Some carbonation noticeable, but very little. The sediment from the bottle seem suspended in the beer... which gives it a "jelly" kind of look... if it weren't for the few bubbles of carbonation I would think that I could take a spoon of it and spread it on toast...

S - Very "clean" smell... and not strong on the nose at all... subtle hints of the hops, may be banana?... surprising... there is not a word I can use other that "clean", not like pine sol or cleaning products "clean", but like fresh clear water clean... and with the 9.5 abv I would think that the alcohol would come through.. but not at all. I'm not sure if I wish there was more to the smell... or if I like the fact that it is such a crisp, clear nose.

T - Good taste... nothing overpowering, but nothing too complex. The flavors of citrus, banana, some clove... all there but well balanced. Sweet finish. Easy on the tongue and pleasurable... but nothing that gives me that "wow" I can't wait to try another. This is the kind of flavor I'd like in a beer for spring or summer cookouts...

M - Not watery, but not thick either. Just... o. k. At times I felt like it was almost "oily" with a coating in the mouth that needed to be cleared after the initial swallow.

O - Not bad... but not exciting. I don't think I will get this one again... but am glad I tried it. I think where this one shines is in the fact that it is REALLY potent, but unlike many strong ABV beers where the alcohol scent/flavor are very noticeable... the Exit 14 makes it smooth, and easy to drink. Part of me really wants to rate this one higher... but for all of it's uniqueness... it comes off as just average, and in that... I'm torn... like I said... I really want to like this more than I do... it seems that it was an ambitious brew... that just barely missed the mark of amazing.

Additionally - this is my first try at a "Trippel" style beer, and after reading the description of what this style is... Exit 4 nails it on the head. If this is the kind of beer you enjoy... I think you will like this one. I won't alter my review based on my new found knowledge of the style... as it is my honest review, and may be this is not the style for me... but I think that if you like Trippels... you should check this out.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Acquired from bonkers, courtesy of Quick & Easy High Card BIF so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a murky golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin on the glass.

S: The aroma contains Belgian yeast, spices, caramelized malts, a good amount of hops and some citrus.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and citrus followed by a burst of hops bitterness, which you don’t often see in the style, but it blends in well. Then some breadiness from Belgian yeast and a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in to create a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style while adding the hoppiness, this is a very good beer to drink for a long time.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

I picked up a 6er of this at Total Wine in Alexandria after reading a good review in the Washington Post:

Good tasting beer, but a little sweet for my taste. It's grown on me as I've gotten to beer 4 (over a week or two).

Nice head, small bubbles that linger for a bit. Good looking beer, too, lots of sediment.

Beer is very sweet on the front of the tongue and I'm afraid that may turn off many drinkers. But, the WaPo reviewed it as a "fruit beer," so given that, the overwhelming honey and citrus taste doesn't bother me, it may bother you, so, you've been warned.

Very high ABV, usually you can't find a 6er at this ABV, and you really can't taste the alcohol.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours a one fingered white and creamy head that diminishes quickly but lasts. The beer is a golden straw and clear.

Smell: Grassy hops with a hint of bubblegum or really sweet fruit.

Taste: A very fruity taste with an undertone of grassy hops. I can certainly taste some apple and a tiny hint of apricot but not much else. Honestly, the beer reminds more of a Belgian IPA than actual Tripel. I think the beer is too hopped that it bypasses the Tripel taste.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation and smooth feel.

Overall: Not a bad drink but it won't be replacing the Tripel Karmeliet anytime soon for me. I think that the Exit 4 is a little too hoppy to be a Tripel and too fruity for my taste to drink or even buy a six pack.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally made it down the Turnpike to Exit 4 - well, I actually got this via the single 12-oz. bottle from Buy-Rite in Jersey City but nevertheless, this was the first of the Exit series that I tried. The idea seemed intriguing and so did this style since it's not something that I sample that often. Sure enough, this was worth the hype as I was quite surprised by how enjoyable this was!

Nice pour to this with a goldenrod hue and fluffy head that lasted for quite a while. The lacing was good too and present throughout my session. No sediment could be seen except for just a hair that I was to swirl around the bottom of the bottle to get out. As for the taste, this was beautifully complex like any good Belgian beer should be. Nice notes of plum and bubblegum underneath the sweetness of apple and pear with just a hint of apricot in the mix too. The sugary flavors lingered well into the aftertaste and the carbonation reminded me of Sierra Nevada - lots of bubbles that made the beer look like a well-preserved piece of amber.

Had this been not so wonderful to behold, the alcohol surely would have crept up on me. Yes, this is strong but you wouldn't know it unless you saw the information on the side of the bottle. The flavors and well-balanced mouthfeel hide the power of this quite well and if this was randomly given to me in a glass, I'd have a hard time discerning where it was from. Like a good Victory or Ommegang beer, this can hold its own with the beers from overseas and has me wondering what the other offerings in the Exit series taste like. I can't recommended this enough for those who love a well-crafted belgian beer and this was good enough to make me want to try others down the road. Yes, it's that's good!

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Pours a dark, slightly hazy orange with two fingers of white head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Some spices and bubblegum up front followed by sweet honey and light fruits. There's a strong grassy hop aroma on the finish, almost like a Belgian IPA.

T: Sweet fruits and honey at first with an underlying yeasty flavor. Grassy hop flavors follow along with a bit of an alcohol burn on the finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer has a pretty low attenuation and is sticky sweet where it should be light and crisp. The sweetness almost coats the mouth and the alcohol burn keep this from having the desired feel of a good tripel

O: Overall not a bad beer, but I'd almost call it a Belgian IPA rather than a tripel--the bottle even advertises its relative hoppiness compared to other tripels. I might rate it slightly higher as a BIPA, but as a tripel it is too sweet, thick, and lacking the light fruit flavors that make a good tripel.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz -> giant snifter at about 50 degrees F. Bought a single 12 oz. from Beltway Fine Wines & Liquors in Towson, MD. Have had a few brews from FF. I'm a huge fan of the American made tripels. The price was right, a style I love, and somewhat local. Boom!

A - Cloudy orange, almost like apple cider. Not too much carb. Fairly viscous temporary lacing.

S - Tangy, yeasty, mild fruitiness, alcohol

T - Strong bitter, tang and spice up front that quickly mellows out, followed by a rush of bready fruitiness. Mildly sweet creamy finish.

M - Medium bodied, fair amount of alcohol warmth, minimal carb

O - This feels like a well made and well developed tripel. It's not as aggressive as some of the other American made tripels I've had, which is a nice change of pace. It's a very enjoyable beer that could serve as a introductory tasting for a tripel-newbie. I'd buy this again without question.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

The tangerine colored body was glowing, and the restrained carbonation formed a head just shy of one finger thick. The aroma was definitely more American than Belgian, with a grapefruit hop smell that was close to that of a DIPA. The taste also revealed an abundance of hops masking the qualities that should exemplify a Tripel. There was a lot of citric hop presence, and almost no Belgian yeast influence. Don't get me wrong, as a DIPA, this would be well above average fair. I was just expecting something else entirely. There was decent heft to the body, and a lingering aftertaste as a result of the stickiness. Easy to drink despite the near double digit ABV. I wish they had saved some of these hops for other beers, and let me taste this for real. Either that, or a different name would do as well.

Pours a hazy deep gold color with an off-white head. Head falls to just about nothing, thin lace.

Nose has plenty of hops, guess that's what an American Triple is.

Quite sweet, even with the hops. Spicy, flowery hops with hints of clove and nice yeast.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Nice. Not used to hoppy triples but this seems well made.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a hazy golden peach sunset sort of color, and the head is snowy white, creamy, fluffy and firm. Very much authentic Belgian tripel looking.

The aroma of Exit 4 is a wonderful thing. Plenty of fruit juice sweetness (pear especially) and just a flash of alcohol. The spices usually found in a tripel's nose seem usurped here by bright, floral hops, which perfume the beer with an American slant. I'm thinking Belgian IPA here.

What the nose promise-eth, the taste deliver-eth. Hops come on strong, delivering a strong dose of orange flesh and peel, plus mango; pear juice; has a particularly earthy yeast character (though not funky-earthy); sweetened herbal tea; a little chalky; just enough alcohol to make you appreciate it, never overstaying its welcome. It's a balanced, fruity, hoppy tripel, which again makes me think Belgian IPA. And also makes me think "baby aspirin" in the best possible way. I'm reminded most of Victory's Golden Monkey but probably better, and certainly more IPA-leaning.

Prickly carbonation is not too prickly, actually gives an appropriate edge to the citrus/tropical element, also a bit sticky and a strong medium body.

Call it a tripel or, I think more accurately, a Belgian IPA, Exit 4 is a really great and apparently underrated beer. I'll happily rate it, and highly. Need...more...this...stuff...

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a medium hazy amber/orange with a small white frothy head that was mostly diminishing and had fair lacing. The aroma was moderately heavy of resin hops, a mild straw malts and a doughy yeast with a hint of citrus and alcohol. It tasted mildly sweet and slightly malty at first and then became slightly bitter-sweet with a hint of yeast and alcohol at the finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and dry in texture with a very soft carbonation. Overall a nice tasty tripel with a complexity of flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

12oz bottle, allowed to warm some from the fridge before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a hazy tangerine. Exit 4's got a nearly four finger tall white foam cap. that fades just a little too quickly for retention to be considered "good". Likewise, there spots of lacing left all over the glass, but I'm looking for full rings and sheets of it. The nose is disappointingly weak, with alcohol by far the most prominent presence. Citrusy hops, pale malt sweetness, and a hint of clove are all present, but just barely. The flavor is a vast improvement, if still somewhat pedestrian for the style. A sweetness leads off, very heavy on pears, and blends quite nicely with the tropical fruity american hop notes. The problem is that where I'd like to see a big clove yeast presence and a slight warming from the alcohol, I instead find an unpalatable booziness and a hint of yeast phenols. Still, the other half of the flavor profile is good, so the beer's not a total lost cause. The body is impressively and appropriately light for a relatively large beer, but the carbonation is far from Belgianeque. It's a bit flabby and inexpressive. Exit 4 isn't a terrible beer, and I think the idea of marrying a tripel and American hops has promise, but the execution falls short when compared to top class versions of the style

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Pours from a 12 ouncer into a tulip a bright, semi cloudy deep yellow with a one finger pure white head.

Nose consists of alcohol, bready pale malts, apricots, pineapple, and hoppiness.

This is a pretty sweet beer with a slightly syrupy consistency. It has apricots, oranges and pineapples. Some alcohol heat shows off in the back. Floral hops show off a lot more than normal in Tripels. Americans we like to show off our hops don't we.

I think this brewery puts out quality beers across the profile. This beer was definetly not my favorite but it was well crafted.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle into tulip.
This is the first Flying Fish brew for me. Pours into my tulip a hazy gold/orange color with a 2 finger ivory head. Head retention is decent and there is thin lacing down the sides of the glass. Nose is intense. Grapefruit and orange zest with a little bit of banana and clove. Smells more like a serious American IPA, but the Belgian influence is there. Palate is very much like the nose and is not typical of the style. Grapefruit hops, banana and clove, and a bit of fusel alcohol. There is a nice subtle bitterness in the finish. A unique and delicious tripel with an obvious American twist.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've worked sort of intimately with this ale. Swilled it more times than I can remember. "American" is not a misguided adjective for this beer - it's unmistakably characteristically a tripel but busting loose with brash citrusy hop impertinence (not to mention some good-time high-gravity fusels).

Referencing the hallowed BJCP style guide, the aroma is pretty much textbook - peppery spicy, perfumy floral, and super citrus. Yeah, some banana in there too, however, that fruit flourishes much more in the flavor, taking on with the fruit flavors a Trix cereal profile. Rabbits beware. The gimmick here is just how concentrated that citrus is in the nose, etc. Really takes control of everything. Getting some vodka-infused mango maybe as well - no, not maybe, alcohol like model plane glue.

When it's poured, yielding an almost silky tall fluffy head, sprays sticky lace, it kind of looks like a frozen tropical cocktail (I can see this beer being big on a cruise ship). Opacity - sunbeam haze, cat's eye glow.

Starts somewhat smooth and citrus sweet, but the carb scrub and alcohol sweeps across the tongue, leaving some residual orange flavor and the sensation of just having sucked on a carnation petal or basil/oregano(? - lite). Well after each sip, papaya climbs back up the buds. I want to say there's some honey stuff on the malt. Medium-body, malty, flavor-wise underneath. If your mouth ain't coated with the sugars, it finished spicy/soft-hot/mid-range-dry.

Not bad for a domestic tripel - needs some refinement, as do most of the domestic versions. The citrus is a little too bustin' and the thin syrupy sweetness a bit much for those not used to it. Can't deny it got some intense flavor. Give it a shot if ya come upon it.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle, no freshness or bottling dates. Poured a bright yellow color. Thick in appearance with millions of floaties. Started with a dense, foamy white head, but with little retention as it reduced very quickly leaving a few wet lacings. Sweet malt and fruity aromas, grapefruit and ripe orange, with the expected Belgian yeast and sugar smells. A bit of a funky odor in there as well along with a faint hint of alcohol. On the watery side of medium bodied with light carbonation. Hoppy orange and pink grapefruit flavors in the beginning that lead to a sweet malty and bubblegum middle and a lightly bitter finish. A hint of coriander peeks through near the finish but is overcome by the bitter hops and light alcohol burn. Wonderfully complex and fairly easy to drink considering the higher ABV.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

A: This poured a nearly clear gold with some white head.
S: It smelled very hoppy like apricot and pineapple, with some citrus zest and candi sugar, and a bit of sour Belgian yeast.
T: It tasted very hoppy too like spicy citrus zest and dried apricot and resin, with some candi sugar and a little Belgian yeast. It had a dry and strong bitter aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. A bit thin for my preferences.
D: This was much more of an IPA than a tripel. So not a good representation of the style, but still enjoyable with good scent and taste elements. The body was sort of weak, but the alcohol was well hidden, so it was not difficult to drink. I'm not sure what to make of this beer. If they called it an IPA, or even a Belgian IPA, I would have really liked it. But as a tripel, I am happy only ever having it once.

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Solid rock white head of three fingers and uniform bubbles on top of a dark gold honey clear body. Body is also a slight orange also. Visible carbonation from the bottom, with slight cloudiness but not completely. Lots of sticky lacing.

Smell is predominantly artificial grapefruit and Jolly Rancher candy, but particularly like a bouquet of a somewhat Imperial Pale Ale. It's all grapefruit and dryness associated with a classic American IPA. It's good but seems weird for a tripel.

Taste is really sweet and that throws me. Extremely sugary but not in an alcohol. Alcohol is actually masked well, but a syrupy sugar takes over of fake artificial orange cola syrup. There's no yeast or buttery feel/taste in this beer whatsoever. No carbonation present in feel.

It's a passable drink but does not reflect a tripel style that I am use to. It's also WAY too sweet for me so I would drink something first before this and wont grab another one, but things could be worse that's for sure.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company