Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

good

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009)
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Cheers to Flying Fish for making this a year-round offering. They should definitely consider doing the same with 11 and 16.

12oz bottle poured into a River Horse tumbler/shaker

Appearance and Smell

Nice copper color with a little bit of yeasty haze floating around. Thin white head that doesn't hold very long, I expect that with this abv though. Smells a lot like american barleywine. Nice citrusy hops in the nose with an underlying of caramel.

Taste and Mouth

I feel like its closer to a barleywine than a tripel on the flavor. I guess that's FF's american interpretation of the style. Its nice and hoppy with a pretty good malt backbone to hold it up. I dont get any fusel on the tounge either. Its somewhere between thin and thick which to me is perfect as well is the carbonation. It has a slightly wet ending which gives me a reason to go back for another sip which brings me to the next section

Drinkability

This is a very tastey beer and my glass is quickly running low, good thing i bought a sixer. The ABV is killing me though and im not sure i can make it beyond another bottle if that at all. Ive had to make a lot of revisions on this review due to the alcohol but no worries.

Other Notes

A very solid brew. One that i'll revisit again and again.

Less relevant,
FF, Please please please make 11 and 16 year around they are amazing

Rguardian989, Apr 05, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Premium Flying Fish!
Not too shabby.
Not stellar for the style.
Better on the nose.
Even a bit better than that on the palate.
Golden raisin, some apple, good amounts of pear and some sugary fruit cake with a smidge of hop and yeast bitterness. Honey is in there somewhere, between the sweet and the bitter.
The nearly 10% alcohol is well masked. I can still taste ingredients that make me think of other Flying Fish beers but I do think they are used better here. This makes me interested in the rest of their Exit series, which I didn't know about until seeing this brew!
Easily worth a shot. Reminds me quite a bit of Victory's Golden Monkey.

ommegangpbr, Apr 01, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark golden color, not much head , light lacing

Smell: Banana, apple, cloves, bubble gum

Taste: Up Front: Grape, apple, banana, spice. Finish: Fruity with a hoppy alcohol kick

Mouthfeel: Light, clean and dry

Drinkability: This beer kicks it with the 9.5 ABV. I could do another 1 or 2, but mortalz should proceed with caution!

Overall Impression: This is a hoppy beer for the style. Not as good as a Belgium Abbey, but good, considering it's from New Jersey! This baby is bottle conditioned (get it?), so it can get better with age!

BeerGodz, Mar 16, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

A - orange/gold, looks like a sunrise in the pint glass.

S - sweet syrup with floral/cirtus hop.

T&M - A lot going on here, my first impression was a sweet belgian, but slightly chalky flavor with strong hops bitterness, the finish was a blend of these flavors and had a medicinal quality to it. Not all bad, but not really good either.

D - just one for now.

Overall, looks great, smells great, I just don't think I got the flavor they were going for. A first time for this one, will give it a 2nd chance to see if it was an off day for me or the beer.

al3, Mar 13, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Another bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc. Thanks, man.

I have no idea what year this bottle was released. The label says it's the inaugural release in the series, whenever that may have been.

Exit 4 is a nice golden color. It's rather hazy, and has a distinct orange tint with backlighting. The head is slightly off-white and rises to just over a finger deep. It falls rather quickly, but leaves a moderate amount of sticky lace in its wake.

The nose is alright. Yeast seems to be the focal point, but it doesn't smell distinctly Belgian. I like it alright, but I'd like more Belgian character. It's a little fruity. I'm getting apple, pear, and a little grapefruit. Spices are relatively light in the mix, but pepper and perhaps a bit of clove are noted. Alcohol is blended well. I'm not getting much at all. Not bad, but far from great.

The flavor is on-par with the nose. Yeast is very strong in flavor throughout. It doesn't have enough of that distinct Belgian flavor to appease. It's not bad, but it needs to really get things going. Spices are more aggressive in flavor, especially pepper. There's a little clove, but I suspect it's muted to a large degree by the strong pepper flavor. Fruit flavors of apple, pear, and grapefruit are present. Alcohol is noted, but isn't warm by any stretch. It finishes peppery, a little bitter, and dry.

Exit 4 has a medium body that is smooth. Carbonation feels light. Its feel is probably its strongest feature. Drinkability is above average. I like the flavor, but I'm far from loving it. I'll probably polish off the 750, but I definitely don't need any more than that.

This is my first beer from Flying Fish Brewing Company. Exit 4 is alright, but it's not a great Tripel. The Belgian yeast aspect is sorely missing. Not uncommon for American takes on Belgian styles. If it had that, it'd probably warrant a few score bumps. All in all, Exit 4 isn't bad for a pit stop. But, I suspect that after a bottle, you'll be all too ready to get back on the freeway. Definitely worth a try.

prototypic, Mar 12, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

A - A finger and a half worth of pure white white head, most of which is rich and creamy with a few big chunky bubbles mixed in... Average at best retention gives way to a thick veil of lacing that is thinner the closer to the edge of the glass it gets... Rich golden color with a glowing orange hue... A slight sticky film covers the glass...

S - Equal part musky and hoppy... Bubble gum... Honey... Belgian yeast...

T - Packs much more of a flavor punch than I would have expected... A potent mix of Belgian yeast, candied sugars, an intriguing blend of hops... The yeast and candied sugars are first and short lived and replaced by a potent pungent hoppiness... The candied sugar returns as part of the aftertaste and is accompanied by hints of honey... Earthy all the way through... Quite unique, definately an americanized (hoppy) version of the Triple style...

M - Goes down very smooth... Medium bodied... Light carbonation... Sticky and slightly viscous... Slightly dry grainy alcohol finish...

D - Solid and enjoyable... A very unique and inspired offering... The near 10% ABV keeps this from being more drinkable...

philbe311, Mar 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

I was browsing through my local Canal's checking for any new brews I've not tried when I stumbled upon this. I've been a rather big fan of Flying Fish and love to support them, as they are a very local brewery, so needless to say I had to try it out.

The beer was from a bottle poured into a pint glass, served at around 40F. The beer looks spectacular, an amber/light brown color, pleasant to the eye, it isn't very transparent, a nice thick looking beer. The head wasn't too thick, and quickly went down as I sipped more. Not much head residue. The smell was what I would expect from a Trippel, a slightly bitter fruity smell. Rather pleasant.

The taste is pretty amazing, it certainly beats the Philadelphia favorite Golden Monkey in my opinion. It's on par with Flying Dogs Kerberos Tripel, which is one of my favorite Trippels. It left a nice coating in my mouth, pleasant. This is a very drinkable beer, highly recommended.

keanex, Feb 22, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +16%

No mistake - Casey brewed a special batch to be released in cask on 28 Jan 2010 at Swift Half in Philly and so I made the trek. It was served by gravity pour atop the bar after an hour of sitting to reduce turbidity.

The pour was near to the rim so that I had less than a finger of bone-white foam that gently became a film atop the beer. Color was a hazy honey-gold. Nose was definitely yeast-driven: very tropical fruity, ie. pineapple, mango, coconut. Mouthfeel was silky smooth, my raison d'etre for drinking cask-conditioned beers. It was described by the brewer as "a hoppy trippel". Beyond the mouthfeel, the taste was dusty, musty, definitely yeast-driven, just the way it should be. It was on the finish that I caught the hoppy bite, right on time. Exceptionally smooth, beautifully balanced between the seemingly dichotomous worlds of Belgian yeast and American hops.

Look for it to be available year-'round on a rotating basis (based on hops availability) as a bottle-conditioned 12-ounce beer.

woodychandler, Jan 29, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Vielen Danke to beerloco for sending this beer, along with a few others, that I really wanted to try after I ran into him (again) at the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. Is there a better thing on this Earth than a box on your doorstep with no expectation of anything in return? Thanks Alan!

Pours a lovely pale yellow that one could slip into a Bud Light mug without the owner noticing the switchover. Tipping the glass to one's mouth would be a dead giveaway, with a boozy, almost grassy nose to it.

Exit 4 is up front about its Belgian genealogy, with the light, yellowish fruits up front on a gentle waft of sweet malts. Alcohol rushes up the line too, underwritten by a hop bite that's subsumed in the sweetness of the brew but appears in the last trickings of a sip. Works nicely to keep the sweetness from overwhelming the rest of the brew's character. This isn't a drinker - after only a few sips I can already feel the 9.7% warming my mind, esophagus, & fingers. Feels like more than that, & that's probably a trick of the mind since it's fairly heavy on the tongue.

Very good beer that I'm glad I've had the chance to sample. I seem to be stuck in a rather "B" rut with Tripels & haven't found that breakaway beer yet, but this one is certainly worthy of the style.

maximum12, Jan 20, 2010

Whew. I thought I missed the boat on this GABF gold medal winner, but luckily I was able to score the final bottle on the shelf at Capone's.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip a slightly hazy orange-gold. A HUGE white head forms on top and gradually becomes a loose-bubbled but very rocky cap.

SMELL: Bready pale malt melds with the lightest Belgian esters in this one. Heavy on the citrus fruitiness with a background spicy note that tries to come through. An odd green apple aroma seems to be there too, but it actually kind of works.

TASTE: A good bit of alcohol burn initially gives way to spicy notes over a somewhat sweet malt base. Some light fruity esters come on in the finish and lead to the perfect dryness to finish this multi-faceted ale off.

MOUTHFEEL: Thin enough and dry enough with a very piquant carbonation. Maybe a tad high even.

DRINKABILITY: Quite good, but the alcohol presence is only slightly overwhelming. Even still, this 750 belongs to me and me alone tonight.

A really fine brew, but I wasn't blown away by it. Thus far, it's my least favorite of the 3 Exit beers, but that should really indicate how good the other 2 (and Flying Fish's operation as a whole) is.

jmalex, Jan 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Reviewed at good friends bday party where people shared a few nice bottles.

Flying fish exit 4

A: clear golden yellow, bubbly, active.

S: clean, hoppy, citrus and banana.

T: similar to smell, very clean, hoppy, bitter and fruity. Belgian yeast.

M: clean, active, dry finish.

D: great tripel in my mind. Lovely the whole way over. Great dry finish.

BTPete, Jan 11, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured ito a Weisse glass. Golden hazy yellow with a big fluffy head. Very fruity and spicy. Not a bad Triple but there are better. I do however want to support this series, love the concept and Exit 4 was my childhood exit. A decent beer and can't wait for other exits. Bonus is this series has really pissed off the Turnpike.

bob3701, Dec 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Another in the Exit series I got to try. I was anxious to get a hold of this one and rightfully so. Served cold and poured into a tulip, it was enjoyed on 10/27/2009.

The pour was much lighter then I was expecting, almost a golden amber color with an ice head of white on top. Lots of lacing left over from very slow retention gave it a huge showing. Aroma was hoppy though, nice touches of grass and hints of light wheat notes on top of apricot and pear notes. Smooth, and light bodied with ample carbonation it was very nice to sip on for sure. Initial hoppiness faded over to the nice fruit notes and a light touch of herbal hops. Dry finish with some good alcohol notes in the back end.

Overall not your traditional triple by any means but very solid none the less, I would have no issue with going after this one again one day, very solid.

mikesgroove, Oct 30, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a hazy golden yellow iwth hints of orange coloring. Small yeast particulate suspended in the beer when held up to the light.

Aroma dominated by sweet belgian yeast fruitiness. That is the best way to describe it.

Taste is similar to aroma, except with a very apparent hop betterness and alcohol punch. Belgian yeast flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and the alcohol is not well hidden at all.

Mouth feel is a solid medium with fine carbonation bubbles.

Overall, an average beer with very low drinkability due to the combo of fusel alcohol and hop bitterness being overpowering, and unenjoyable as the beer is consumed.

FloppyDog, Oct 19, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The day was long, in the thick, muddy yellow-orange haze... There was a vast, frothy cloud cover early on, but it left quickly and no traces remained. We had been rowing since early morning, our bodies drenched with sweat and the aroma of key lime pies with graham cracker crusts. The day had been long, but the catch good as we had sailed through the one-footed islands and spoken with the long-forgotten professors in the old, pillared halls of yesteryear. More aromas, notes of caramel and lemon, mango, warm alcohol and a hint of Hawaiian pizza... always a lovely aroma to come home to after a long day, and now to drift off before the roaring fire in a burgundy tassel-chair...
But the flavour disappoints, lacking complexities, honey-sweet throughout and a bit of hop-bite in the finish, and my toes are too warm. A lot of warming alcohol, but not very multi-dimensional, really. A shame, as the rain beats on the stoop and reminds me that the weather beyond those teak walls is anything but favorable.
The body is medium and not fluffy enough for the style, lightly dry and a massively sweet, syrupy, warming finish. I'll dream of something else, this is obtrusive...
Really not very drinkable, even for a tripel. It's too one-dimensionally sweet and syrupy, and too warming... and really just nothing else.
So I'll lie here in my easy chair and dream, dream of better times, and try to forget that I must wake to row again in the morning...

khiasmus, Oct 17, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a snifter... Very thick head after an agressive pour. Light orangish color, cloudy with little activity

S- Nice aroma. Mix of sweet fruit, sour fruit, and alcohol

T- Not quite as sweet as I had expected. Starts out fruity sweet with maybe some cinnamon, but finishes a bit sour or bitter. Can taste some of the alcohol

M- Pretty light and watery. Smooth with not a lot of carbonation

D- Pretty tasty and drinkable. Not the best trippel, but definately better than most of the other FF beers that I've tried

bbeane, Oct 10, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Big thanks to Nerofiddled for hooking me up with this one.

Pours a hazy orange, lots of active carbonation, fat, dense and Belgian-esque head, some fine spotty lace. Pretty good, all told.

Smells sweet, (good) spicy, (good) dry, (nice) estery and fruity (check again) and overall quite solid. Maybe some mango here, lemon, tropical fruits, pepper. Could be sharper and more focused, not a real "Belgian" nose here, but not bad... not bad at all...

Hmm, this drinks pretty good... pretty much an "American" tripel, not much Belgian character here, but a good amount of spicy, smooth pale malt balanced with some tropics of ester and sweetness. Pretty solid, does not stand up to the best US Tripels (Allagash...) out there.

Smooth mouthfeel, creamy, affecting. Drinkable. Finishes dry and semi-sweet / spiceful.

Exit 4 is good, but could be better with a more solid yeast strain, I feel like... hmm. A fine effort though, and from Jersey!

kkipple, Oct 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

750ml bottle. Red foil surrounding the cap. First in the Exit Series from Flying Fish.

Appearance - Big frothy head, white with loads of character (i.e. peaks and valleys) as it resolved to a nicely defined head. Lively carbonation. half-inch head retains long after the initial pour. Golden yellow in color with a slight haze.

Smell - American Tripel huh? Hmmm, smells like an American IPA. Nice grapefruit nose, not overpowering but very much a hop (i.e "American") influence to this Trippel? I guess the taste will be the determining factor. Not really smelling anything more. Perhaps a bit of a peppery nose as well. Clean and fresh.

Taste - The first thing to grab me about this beer is the "legs" on it along with the hop initial presentation. Thankfully, the hop bite at the end isn't there. Mid-tones of pepper and cloves, along with a sweet malty balance. Mellow opening leads you into an overall sweet mid-game. Built well, while at the same time an enigma (i.e. what the heck is an "American Trippel"?).

Mouthfeel - A good palate cleaner. Crisp finish with a good refreshing "I want more" approach. Not a lot of carbonation, just enough, which makes this all the more enjoyable and not overly heavy.

Drinkability - No way can I compare this with a St. Bernardus tripel, tripel Karmeliet or a Westmalle tripel. In my opinion, this doesn't fit the "Tripel" class. No BJCP guidelines for this offering. To me, you add an arse load of hops to a tripel style and you get this beer. The beer's overall ease of consumption is there, as the alcohol is well-hidden throughout. Good density in this beer and would stand up to many foods that are exceedingly robust (pot roast, thick soups/stews, etc.).

Nesued, Sep 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Large bottle capped and red foil over the top. No freshness info. Pours medium amber with an apricot hue. The head is off white, appropriatly huge initially, decent retention showed then spotted lace left behind. Fruity candy sugar sweet nose. Got to respect em for swinging for the fences with a take on this outstanding style, but this one does not make it out of the middle of the road. Some phenolic tendencies, but not enough, some hoppy feel but not enough. All in all a decent tasting brew, but ends up being a lower level American tripel, compared to the all stars of the style.

Billolick, Sep 09, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

poured from a 750ml bottle into a Philly "BEER" pint glass

A - Appearance was a murky, golden hue

S - Smell was a strong citrus with apparent orange, lemon, apricot, and spice -- the alcohol was definitely coming through also!

T - I was not impressed with the taste -- this beer was not too balanced imho. The citrus taste hits you right up front, followed by a strong taste of the alcohol -- I was most disappointed that the alcohol was not well masked.

M - Mouthfeel was a little abrasive -- not very smooth. Again, I did not feel this beer was very well balanced.

D - Drinkability was low -- I choked down my pint glass. I have to be fair though and say that as the beer warmed up, I began to enjoy it slightly more. I've had Exit 11 prior to Exit 4 and I was much, much more impressed with Exit 11!

Cheers!

LSUExplorer03, Sep 09, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Nice hazy gold color, with a thin head and not-so-great retention. Mildly carbonated. You could definitely pick up hints of the alcohol content in the aroma, but fortunately you also pick up a pungent herbal spice aroma, most notably cloves. Also picked up some lemon zest, orange, and bubble gum. The taste was medium-bodied, medium carbonated, with strong citrus and herbs throughout, and a stronger than expected alcoholic feel in the finish. Despite the slight burn, the citrus/spice bouquet and medium feel make this a decent session beer, at least before the abv knocks you out. Well done, FF.

donniecuffs, Aug 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured via 750ml bottle on 7/24/09. Thanks to sholland119 for sharing.

A - Hazy golden/amber body with one-finger head that settled into a very thin ring, leaving spotty lace around the glass.

S - Hoppy, spicy and boozy nose with quite a bit of hop character for a Tripel. Some citrus notes and spicy yeast also emerged as it warmed up.

T - Spicy yeast with peppery, clove and earthy notes, but also a lot of fresh American hop flavor suggesting citrus fruit and mild herbs. Very fruity in the backend with hints of orange, mango and pineapple.

M - Medium bodied with a syrupy texture and pretty soft carbonation. Spicy on the palate with a bittersweet finish.

D - I really enjoyed this Tripel, especially since it utilized lots of American hops, giving it a sweet, fruity twist.

ffejherb, Aug 26, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Torry!

The beer is transparent yet lightly hazed pale peach (Torry) with a thick fluffy whitehead.

The nose is bready malt, phenolic, and slightly spicy. Some citrus is present in the form of lemons and orange pith, with lesser floral character.

The flavor is sweet bready and caramel malt, with prominent citrus and medium bitterness. The alcohol is more noticeable here than in the nose. The spice character is reminiscent of white pepper and clove. The finish is orange and lemon with some malty sweetness and white pepper spiciness lingering near the back of my tongue.

Medium bodied with low medium carbonation and a soft mouthfeel.

HopHead84, Aug 11, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle courtesy of jwc215. Thanks Joe!

It pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a 1 finger and shrinking head of foam. It has some very nice lacing.

The smell has some spiciness to it along with an earthy malt that's almost horse blanket like, bubblegum, some pretty big notes of citrus hops, a lot of sweetness, and a light yeastiness.

The taste is earthy and tart and bitter and sweet, all rolled into one. Bubblegum and the earthy malt seem to be "battling" the rather tart and bitter hop presence instead of working together but I have to ask, for the style, why is there so much hoppiness in this?? Tone that down or eliminate it and I think this would be much more authentic and much easier to drink. As is, it's kind of a core to drink though the alcohol is not a huge factor here.

Medium mouthfeel with the carbonation just a notch below medium. Head retention is turning out to be very good.

Drinkability? The tastes just are not doing it for me so despite hiding the abv well, this isn't all that drinkable for me whether as per style or not. Glad I got a chance to try it though.

Bitterbill, Aug 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance- golden amber and yellow color, very murky and cloudy appearance, slight white head, thin and quickly dissipating head and carbonation

Smell- sweet fruit and malts up front, slightly bitter hop nose but a predominate sweet smell

Taste- Slight fruit and sweet taste up front, with nice spicey yeast middle beat on the palate, finished with a long bitter hoppy finish, a unique flavor for sure for beer of this style, slight alcohol but not noticeable,

Mouth- light crisp soft feel

Drinkability- its actually a pretty nice balanced beer, good mix of the belgian style and the more american bitter hops, overall enjoyable example of the style and a unique beer worth a shot, best beer so far by far of the flying fish line

Stunner97, Aug 03, 2009