Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 4Exit 4

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009)
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

750 ml bottle, poured into glass chalice:

Pours hazed golden with a stream of bubbles vigorously rising up in the middle, forming a thin white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of bubblegum/cotton candy with banana and a floral/citric hop aroma mixing in.

The taste is of sweet bubblegum/cotton candy, with growing honey as it progresses. It has a bready, spicy backing. An American citrusy hop taste, with mild bitterness finishes it off, along with noticeable, though not overpowering, alcohol.

It has an effervescent, medium body.

Certainly an "American" interpretation of the style. It has an American hop touch that works well here. Nicely balanced, unique, an interesting sipper.

jwc215, Jul 14, 2009

In terms of this being an "American Tripel," I would say that this is even more of a hybrid than the label advertises. It's definitely an American-Belgian in that the brewers used a Belgian yeast strain and hopped the wort more heavily than a continental brewer would have. But there's a slight sourness to the beer here that I don't normally come to expect with tripels. The sweetness is downplayed (though you can taste golden malts and honey), so what you end up getting--in my opinion--is an Americanized saison. Further supporting this argument is that the beer is not as heavily carbonated as I expect tripels to be. I'm not getting the champagney mouthfeel that I've come to expect from Belgian tripels. In terms of the beer's "aim," I would definitely say that this is a more refreshing bee than it is a sipper. Alcohol presence is low, which is nice, as the fruitier qualities and the dryness are permitted to take the reigns. This beer reminds me quite a bit of the 2008 Stone Vertical Epic. Despite my semantic nit-picking, I really enjoyed it.

TheNapkin, Jul 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Grabbed this at a bottle king in NJ. I was going to age this but I saw it was hoppy so I figured I would go for the Belgian IPA over all else.

AL Pours a fairly clear golden color with a half finger of white head. Not as hazy as I like to see an example of this style.

S: The pieces are there is the nose but nothing is tying it all together. You get a touch of fruit but with nothing sticking out. You get quite a bit of bready malt and a touch of hops. Nothing really stands out though so in the end it just falls short.

T: Much like the nose it is all there but it just does not gel together at all. It not not an unpleasant beer. But for an American Tripel which basically means Belgian IPA I expect more hops. This beer was just released to.

M: Mouthfeel is nice. Light with quite a bit of prickly carbonation.

D: It is good but nothing remarkable. A very nice beer. I would say at this point to hold on to this one for a while to see where it goes. I think it needs a little bit more time. Right now the hops are not even fresh so you are not going to loose that aspect of it.

aerozeppl, Jul 06, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Flying Fish- Exit 4

A- Bright golden yellow orange with a thick billowy white head. Good solid head, little lacing.
S- Sweet citrusy fruits, sugar, banana, and alcohol.
T- Sweet sugary fruits, mostly citrus lemon and orange with banana and sweet buttery caramel malt.
M- Starts off sweet and sugary but quickly becomes dry, chalky, and calciumy.

Overall- Decent overall but I wouldn't purchase again. Hopefully the Exit series gets better!

NJpadreFan, Jun 27, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Pours with a foamy white head that faded quickly. Slightly cloudy pale gold color. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma is very spicy and Yeasty. Later is learn what this has in store. A bit cleaner like. Not medicinal. But kitchen cleaner. Glade? Sharp and not soft at all.

Spicy, medicinal, yeasty, Chalky, some fruit, some pepper, earthy, mineral. Truthfully, lots going on here. I'm just not sure how much of it I like.

Very dry and chalky mouth feel.

Did not find this drinkable at all and I was not drawn to my next sip.

Sorry

Reagan1984, Jun 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from bottle to tulip glass.

A - cloudy; golden with hints of rust; frothy white head, decent lacing

S - typical Belgian hops, definitely smell the bananas mentioned on the bottle label; honey

T - a little rough whereas I tasted too much of the hops, not the best trippel I've had but pretty damn good; tasted some pepper . I finished the bottle in one sitting, it was that good.

M - Had a little bite but was very nice going down; thought the alcohol would be more prevalent but it was well hidden

D - definitely a must try for those that haven't; being a Jersey Boy I always root for the home team and Flying Fish has done a GREAT job with Exit 4. Can't wait for the next in the series!

rkcrozier, Jun 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

s -- bottloe in a small chimay glass

a -- golden, but not much of a head on it.

s -- vanilla ang fruit

t -- cream and sensational and a sharp hit.

m -- at first great. i said i scored a good one. and it mellowed out real good later on in the evening.

d -- this was a good one. but not on all occations. it was a special evening. but i really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to more exit series.

jsanto, Jun 20, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 750 bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. Bottle compliments of Mike from Exton Beverage.

A: A dark golden almost light orange color. Thick 2 finger fluffy billowy white head. Wonderful full glass lacing.

S: Spicy yeast with citrus, fruits and a honey sweetness. Spicy hops are there too. Real nice.

T: Spicy, peppery yeast flavors with sweet fruit like banana, orange, pineapple and some lemon. The hops quickly come in with floral, herbal spicy notes. Honey caramel malt sweetness tries to fight off the hop assault, but in the end the hops bitterness wins. Very hoppy, very spicy, very complex. A fairly prevalent alcohol warming comes in at the end but mixes well with the other flavors. Real nice beer.

M: Full, rich, prickly and warming. Alcohol is pretty forward but it is warming not biting.

D: For the ABV this beer is insanely drinkable. It is just one to sit and relax with.

Overall I thought this was an excellent beer. I love the hoppy tripels and this one did not let me down. The only downside is how pricey it is. But beyond that, this beer is excellent.

Kadonny, Jun 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +17%

Chilled and poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Duvel glass (two pours). Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a hazy golden orange color with 1 ½" fluffy, billowy white head that begins to recede soon. For a while the head settles down to about a finger's width. Sipping leaves partial sheets of lacing along with trails and speckles of lacing. Fairly soon. However, the head recedes to a ring of foam with a thin layer of foam on the liquid and then eventually disappears entirely

Smell: The dominant aroma is citrusy (orange zest, some grapefruit) spicy (white pepper) hops with very faint undertones of banana and clove and occasional hints of green fruits (apple, pear). I don't really pick up any of the alcohol in this one.

Taste: As suggested by the aroma, the initial taste is that of spicy citrus hop bitterness followed by some caramel malt sweetness and some almost hidden banana/clove mixture, but it is the spiciness of the hops that dominates here, for now. However as I finish more and more of this bottle the orange becomes a more pronounced flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady light carbonation. The finish is long and starts with the spice of the hops. That spiciness trades off with the malt sweetness for a bit and then returns to lead to the dry ending. I don't really taste the alcohol but can definitely feel its effects.

Drinkability: This is definitely a worthwhile brew and one I'm enjoying a lot. I think a couple of glasses a night is more than enough with this ABV level, but I'm definitely looking forward to the other bottles I've got waiting for me over the next few months. I have the distinct feeling that there is complexity here that will emerge more clearly with a bit more bottle age. I also think it would be interesting to get some Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen (Belgian IPA) and do a side by side tasting with this Flying Fish Exit 4 (American Trippel).

drtth, Jun 14, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -1%

A: The positives are the beautiful pale gold with a slight amber hint and the very mild haze. The negative is the weak and fizzy head.

S: Mineral and musty leather yeast aroma. The yeast give a slight citrus scent but it is very mild. The malt is light a slightly grainy/cereal like. A faint pine as well. Overall complex and funky but unrefined more reminiscent of a farmhouse ale than a Tripel.

T: Taste is again between farmhouse and Tripel. It has the initial mild honey sweetness of Tripel followed by a citrus freshness of a farmhouse or saison. The cereal sweetness and grain hits in the end. Overall nicely hopped with a very mineral flavor.

M: Still. Poor head retention. Lighter than EtOH content would let on. Alcohol is well hidden.

D: A very nice bottle conditioned Tripel by an American brewer. I would buy another and let it sit a while.

BWH3, Jun 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

capped 750 ml bottle

Pours a orange yellow color with a medium sized white head that sticks around for the entire glass leaving lots of soapy lace. Fruity nose, grapes, peach, citrus, apricot, bready pretzel dough yeast, soft proactive spice and generous amounts of hops. Medium bodied, fruity with a very apparent ABV, a quick sipper indeed. Very well done, looking forward to the rest of the series.

ATPete, Jun 05, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

750ml into Westmalle goblets.

A- cloudy, bright orange color. poured almost as flat as apple juice, and what little head it had, it lost quickly.

S- very grape-y aroma, but not like standard grape juice, more like wild grapes, or like the thick-skinned, seeded blue grapes. Alcohol aroma is also present.

T- sweet, malty flavor, with less delicious wild grapes, and more grape flavored tussen. The hugely sweet front falls into a tart-yet-medicinal flavor. The bitterness is very nice, and the tart grape flavor I enjoy a lot. But then the tussen flavor comes in and smashes the flavor profile, and then lingers in a moldy aftertaste. The wild-grape tart flavor is so great, but the tussen flavor is so terrible.

After working through more of the glass, I notice that drinking a sip more quickly, rather than savoring it, helps reduce the unpleasant tussen flavor. This is, obviously, a compromise.

By the end of the glass, the tussen flavor is almost forgotten, and a bitter flavor remains. I imagine it is tart wild grapes + green apples, but the alcohol has dulled the palate enough to forget the tussen, so the nuance is lost as well.

The alcohol content in this beer is really not hidden very well at all.

M- light carbonation means that the sugary, boozy beer coasts the mouth and weighs it down more than you might prefer. It isn't terrible, but it could be better.

D- I don't think a 9.7% tripple *can* be highly drinkable, in a session-type definition. As to whether I would buy this again, I can't say for sure, but if they stop making it and I don't get a chance to buy more, I will just buy a better tripple.

Notes- this isn't a *terrible* beer, but with the seeds they have, it certainly feels like they could have grown something better.

WalrusJockey, Jun 03, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

A - opaque deep golden color with lots of carbonation. Small white mostly fading head with no lacing.
S - Apricot and peach quickly on the nose. A bit of sweat from the yeast. Some kind of honey in there as well
T - Bitter with a smooth compliment of sweet malt. A hint of citrus peel.
M - Lively and bitter that coats the tongue. A nice smooth finish
D - As drinkable as a Tripel can be.

I am not a huge fan of Flying Fish, but it is nice to see them stepping out of the box. This is a nice brew that was quite a surprise.

drcarver, May 24, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Considering pending events, it seems apt, perhaps, to try a Jersey beer with "exit" in the name. This a slightly hazy brew with a decent cap of foam. Hops dominate the aroma, citrus and some pine. Notes of Belgian yeast are also present.

Light and carbonated on the palate. Malt manages to get through in the flavor profile. Not much happening though the center, but that quickly changes as the bitterness picks up. The citrus and floral hops leaves a lasting mark on the palate.

Overall not a bad brew. I enjoyed it for sure. I do wish that the beer had bettering melding of the "American" and the "Tripel" components. In fact, there isn't much "tripel" here at all. I was expecting something with more sweetness.

BeardedBoffin, May 23, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +12%

Shared one with my dad today. Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Nice amber orange hue, lots of bubbles. A thick white head which slimmed down and lasted almost the entire time I drank. Left an excellent lacing pattern of hexagons, weird but true.

Smell was mostly citrus and just a hint of alcohol.
Taste is very good, much less bitter than I anticipated, and significantly more balanced and malty, but overall hoppy. Hop taste is citrus, and maybe some spices, not really complex, but good.
Mouthfeel was very good, this is a bottle conditioned brew and they did well with it. Not heavy but not light, and a nice balanced carbonation.
Drinkability: Way too drinkable for a Trippel, being much less bitter than other trippels, and having only a very low note of alcohol I could drink quite a few.
Overall, its not like other Trippels, but it is absolutely worth trying, and for me it will be worth getting at least a few more.

Makes me proud to be from Cherry Hill

Imsothirsty, May 03, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

I appreciated what they were trying to do with this beer, and I thought the tripel-with-hops did have some nice qualities to it--halfway through the bottle the two (pretty bold!) styles did seem to start to blend rather than just clash, but ultimately I could taste the alcohol a whole lot more than I wanted to. If I got another bottle, I'd let it mellow out for another six months before drinking.

lstokes, Apr 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

This brewery is growing on me, and this beer helped a lot.

Pours slightly hazy golden with a vast. Fluffy head. Smell is fruity and apricoty. Flavor is spicy and fruity. With apricot and orange with some slight allspice and carroway. Delicious, with a fruity bitterness, flowery hops. Lovely, slick mouthfeel. Excellent.

Seanibus, Apr 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Appears a cloudy gold with a 2 finger white cap that slowly fades out. Smell is of citrusy hops up front with tropical fruit aromas hidden the back of pineapple, bananas, vanilla, apple, and clove.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a sugary, mild caramel, citrusy, fruity, and doughy flavor resonating.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spicy, and yeasty with a bitter smack on the palate during the finish.

weeare138, Apr 19, 2009

The first in their Exit series and a good one.

A-Pours a clear golden with lots of fluffy white head and some good lacing.

S-Very hoppy with lots of citrus and pine aromas. Also yeasty with a whiff of rotten eggs.

T-Peppery and clovey with some yeasty funk and a nice hoppy bite.

M-Medium bodied with nice lingering bitterness.

D-Nicely drinkable. While nice in the bottle, this was really tasty on tap. Didn't make notes unfortunately.

HV

sholland119, Apr 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

First off, Flying Fish is completely stepping up their game. The bottling and appearance is truly awesome. Very classy and extremely well-done. I had been growing tired of Flying Fish's signature offerings (Pale Ale, ESB, etc) so this was a breath of fresh air.

A- Hazy golden orange color. Frothy white head looking like clouds. Very pillowy. Some lacing. Very nice looking in my glass. Carbonation bubbles flowing like wild swarms of bees.

S- The first thing that came to my mind was pine and lemon grass. Citrus. Intense hop scent for a "Tripel."

T- This is definitely unlike any Tripel I have had before. Sweet at times with some candy like flavors. Extremely bitter at times with some serious hop action- bready. Sugars and alcohol. Alcohol was evident as this beer was quite young but still nice to drink.

M- Medium bodied. Heavily carbonated. Warming on my tongue and throat.

D- I enjoyed this beer. I loved the flavors although it could take some time to weaken some of the intensity.

Flying Fish- KEEP IT UP!

DavidSeanNJ, Apr 10, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours slightly hazy and golden in a tulip with a 3 finger near-white head. Nose is hoppy and citrus with some bready yeast and clove. As it warms I actually get a bit of strawberry.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium to high carbonation and a dry finish.

Wow. Intensely hoppy for a tripel. Taste is over-the-top bitter and hoppy and kind of takes you by surprise. A bit of astringency and alcohol warmth lingers on the tongue. Bread, yeast, a little peppery. Bottle mentions a "subdued bitterness"... I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe with a little age on this it'll mellow out a bit.

Drinkability is going to take a bit of a hit on this one. I'm a big hop head but something is just not right about the balance of this beer. I don't entirely dislike it - it kind of grows on you - but I probably wouldn't pick it up again.

frothyhead, Apr 10, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

I must compliment Flying Fish for ingenuity. I know a lot of brewers are trying to tackle this "fusion" style of citrus hops and Belgian phenols. For me, it just never works.

The beer pours beautiful, the look of a powerfully deceiving tripple with a puffy white head. The aroma starts the fall from grace. The beer smells of plastic. The smell reminds me of being a kid and ripping into the packaging of a brand new action figure. The flavor is a bit better as the taste of both a good Belgian tripple and a solid IPA can both be percieved; however, the flavors compete for dominance instead of blending harmoniously. Finally the plastic returns which hides some pineapple and banana flavors that are lying in the background.

I think the problem here is that tripple is a big, expressinve beer. But, there is subtlety to the flavor. With Exit 4 the subtle flavors are masked behind a second layer of bold expressiveness.

I love the brewery for pushing the envelope and I look forward to buying the next release in the series. With innovation like this, Flying Fish is sure to hit a HUGE winner sooner than later.

lord2464, Apr 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at capones
Nice clear looking ipa with draped lacing
Citrus clove and hops come through in the nose
Nice hops tingle and flavor balanced by a decent malt body a very good beer to drink
I'd sip on this a solid brew not to big and full of flavor

psulovesbeer, Apr 07, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Poured a hazy and murky tangerine orange with a monstrous bright white 3 finger + stryo-foam capping that was sturdy, with an extraordinary lengthy retention. A good deal of particle matter creates a hazy turbidity while only a faint whisper of effervesce can be seen. A slight patchy and foamy lacing was left behind.

S: The bottle cap was not even half way off when the bright citrusy and slightly funky aroma first caught my attention. Bright fresh citrus (tangerines), lemons with a light fresh breadiness completes the aroma.

T: The initial flavor yielded tart tangerines and lemons along with a modest showing of dried grapefruit peels. A nice floral hopping mends well with the citrusy nature while some fresh bread dough make up the malting. The hopping is moderately strong with a good bitterness level composing of dry grapefruit and lemon floral notes gracing the tongue on the swallow. A touch of sour dry tropical fruitiness is faint but present. I however failed to detect the banana and clove accents as advertised by the label, which might have been hiding really well behind the strong hoppy character.

M: light, very smooth with hardly a trace of carbonation to be felt. Dry, bitter lemon peels grace the tongue on the finish with a gentle but lingering fade which I found to be quenching.

D: very good, easy going down and makes you wish you bought more. Thirst quenching, perfect for the summer day, you can defiantly detect, and respect the abv mid way through the drink (bomber). Flying Fish does my home state of NJ right with this beer and one you should seek out. limited release.

beerthulhu, Apr 07, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: pours a yellowish orange color with a 1/2" head that falls quickly to a spotty surface foam.

Smell: some soft yeast and fruit sweetness is very soft and hard to pull from the glass.

Taste: belgian yeast is very noticable with some pears, golden apples, and lemon zest. Alcohol is noticable. Bitterness is a bit bigger than expected here, so I can see this needed to sit for a bit before it matures.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, crisp and a bit dry at the finish. Aftertaste is long and the bitterness is most prominent.

Drinkability: decent beer but it is a bit young right now. One bottle is enough in a single session.

Gavage, Apr 03, 2009