Exit 4 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

New Jersey, United States

Tripel |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Foxman on 03-10-2009

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle split with sourbatchkid. Thanks sweetheart.

A- pours a clear yellow orange with a small blip of head that vanishes to a mirror finish.

S- nice big citrus hops and a honey sweetness. Lots of tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple. Faint yeasty background that lends its hand to the fruitiness.

T- belgian yeast and citra hops, I think at least, but a melange of fruits between the two. Mango, satsuma, grapefruit. A nice spice from the yeast that plays off the fruit very nicely. Sweet but not cloying, honey and agave nectar come to mind.

M- medium body and a low carb. Slightly viscous and coating maybe a bit more carb would help push this one to the next level.

D- real nice stuff well balanced and not a bit of the 9.7 abv shows. I couldn't even believe it was that strong. Not quite up there with some of belgiums finest but those hops are killer.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Twelve ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Clear deep gold to bronze colored beer with a lightly off white head. The head is short-lived and leaves me with no lacing to speak of.

A cidery aroma, with big alcohol presence and hints of bubble gum and some spice. There is a yeasty character to the aroma as well. The taste is of green apple, tart pear with spice and huge alcohol warmth. Really the alcohol is up front in this tripel.

Light to medium bodied, not substantial in the mouthfeel department. Leaves you a little dry and still tasting alcohol. It's a sipper for sure, but it is not one of the better American versions of this style.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Served from a 12oz. bottle acquired from a trade with JMcL as a generous extra (Thanks!) into my Gouden Carolus goblet at the appropriate temperature (04/08/10)

A: Pours a glowing, golden straw color with a yellow tint capped by 1 finger of a bright white head. Average retention and bits of lacing are left behind.

S: Bouquet of spiced grains and earthy hops. Very fruity and yeasty.

T:The flavor follows that nose with lost of pale fruits and grains. Some heat is present as well, but is balanced nicely with the flavors. The yeast and Belgian spice add the complexity of this one. For an American Tripel this is a really nice beer with full flavors.

M: Medium-bodied with some appropriate carbonation and some creaminess.

D: Easy to drink, but the 9.7% abv is certainly there.

Overall I really enjoyed this Tripel and I must admit that the Exit series from Flying Fish is shaping up quite nicely. Thanks again John! Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

(Bottle from brewery into tulip) I was really looking forward to this one, since I often take the namesake exit to work with 295 N is clogged! Pours a dark amber with a very light head that didn't last too long. Nose is very heavy on the hoppy florals as well as the hints of cirtus, cloves, and sweetness one would expect from a tripel. Nice mouthfeel with a lively carbonation that brings the flavors together well. Starts off with a blast of sweetness, but has a nice sharp bitter finish with the hops that is a bit of a surprise. took me a while to get used to that, but found that the hops at the end do provide an interesting twist on the style which is not entirely bad. I have several bottles and am making sure to but one aside to age for a long while to see how well the flavors develop.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter late at night. I missed the initial release and was glad to see it come back.

Honey glazed golden with some orange spots noted in between. A steady and elevated pour brang forth about an inch or more of loosely coiled bright white foam with a bumpy look. Exit 4 looks good so far, yet the head dies fairly quick leaving no lace. The liquid looks great though.

Smells the part of a American Triple, fruity, hoppy and yeasty. Fruity with pineapple, mangos and the like, some spice including pepper sprinkles, a small citrus hop nose and a whiff of alcohol. I like the fruits in this one, their pungent. Some sweet sugars, a nice balance.

The fruit comes out in taste even better than expected, they are just there basking in it. Apples and pears, oh my!! Some mango slices and they blend so well. In the middle some residual sugars and a dosing of American hops. the hops don't explode out at you, and I would not call this a very hoppy triple (this is a fresh bottle) but I can see where they were going with this. Some yeast and a small blast of alcohol, nothing major.

While the taste is pretty much all that, the feel could use some work. The body is of a medium build which is actually perfect, but this came off kind of flat, or a bit unlively. The carb is real minimal and it shows. There was a loud hiss from the cap pop, so I dont know what's going on here. A small warming from the alcohol which is pleasant, I need the burn right about now.

This is a very drinkable American triple. I would drink more of it if it was more lively in feel, other than that, no problems. I can see why this won a gold metal, It's one of the better american triples I've had recently, that's not over the top with bitter hops, this was well balanced and well executed. Cheers to FF for cranking out some goodness.

I found a sixer of exit 4 hiding behind Victory Prima Pils. I had everyone from the exit series except 4. So I felt very happy.

I poured into a Chimay chalice and it did not foam to well. I had to swirl the remaining ounce of beer in the bottle and poer quicly just to get a sizeable head. The beer has a nice yellow, orange ,gold color. The foam disappear quickly and left a foamy ring around the glass. Lacing was good. The aromas were present as soon as my nose entered the glass. Wheat and yeast were my first impressions.
The taste was a bit hoppy,bitter and citrus with a malt presence and a dry finish.

The mouthfeel was medium to light. Carbonation was on the weak side although samll bubbles were present. This was a good tasting beer and the high alcohol is warming me very nicely. I buy this again and share with my friends.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Cheers to Flying Fish for making this a year-round offering. They should definitely consider doing the same with 11 and 16.

12oz bottle poured into a River Horse tumbler/shaker

Appearance and Smell

Nice copper color with a little bit of yeasty haze floating around. Thin white head that doesn't hold very long, I expect that with this abv though. Smells a lot like american barleywine. Nice citrusy hops in the nose with an underlying of caramel.

Taste and Mouth

I feel like its closer to a barleywine than a tripel on the flavor. I guess that's FF's american interpretation of the style. Its nice and hoppy with a pretty good malt backbone to hold it up. I dont get any fusel on the tounge either. Its somewhere between thin and thick which to me is perfect as well is the carbonation. It has a slightly wet ending which gives me a reason to go back for another sip which brings me to the next section

Drinkability

This is a very tastey beer and my glass is quickly running low, good thing i bought a sixer. The ABV is killing me though and im not sure i can make it beyond another bottle if that at all. Ive had to make a lot of revisions on this review due to the alcohol but no worries.

Other Notes

A very solid brew. One that i'll revisit again and again.

Less relevant,
FF, Please please please make 11 and 16 year around they are amazing

3.57/5  rDev -6.3%

Premium Flying Fish!
Not too shabby.
Not stellar for the style.
Better on the nose.
Even a bit better than that on the palate.
Golden raisin, some apple, good amounts of pear and some sugary fruit cake with a smidge of hop and yeast bitterness. Honey is in there somewhere, between the sweet and the bitter.
The nearly 10% alcohol is well masked. I can still taste ingredients that make me think of other Flying Fish beers but I do think they are used better here. This makes me interested in the rest of their Exit series, which I didn't know about until seeing this brew!
Easily worth a shot. Reminds me quite a bit of Victory's Golden Monkey.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark golden color, not much head , light lacing

Smell: Banana, apple, cloves, bubble gum

Taste: Up Front: Grape, apple, banana, spice. Finish: Fruity with a hoppy alcohol kick

Mouthfeel: Light, clean and dry

Drinkability: This beer kicks it with the 9.5 ABV. I could do another 1 or 2, but mortalz should proceed with caution!

Overall Impression: This is a hoppy beer for the style. Not as good as a Belgium Abbey, but good, considering it's from New Jersey! This baby is bottle conditioned (get it?), so it can get better with age!

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

A - orange/gold, looks like a sunrise in the pint glass.

S - sweet syrup with floral/cirtus hop.

T&M - A lot going on here, my first impression was a sweet belgian, but slightly chalky flavor with strong hops bitterness, the finish was a blend of these flavors and had a medicinal quality to it. Not all bad, but not really good either.

D - just one for now.

Overall, looks great, smells great, I just don't think I got the flavor they were going for. A first time for this one, will give it a 2nd chance to see if it was an off day for me or the beer.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Another bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc. Thanks, man.

I have no idea what year this bottle was released. The label says it's the inaugural release in the series, whenever that may have been.

Exit 4 is a nice golden color. It's rather hazy, and has a distinct orange tint with backlighting. The head is slightly off-white and rises to just over a finger deep. It falls rather quickly, but leaves a moderate amount of sticky lace in its wake.

The nose is alright. Yeast seems to be the focal point, but it doesn't smell distinctly Belgian. I like it alright, but I'd like more Belgian character. It's a little fruity. I'm getting apple, pear, and a little grapefruit. Spices are relatively light in the mix, but pepper and perhaps a bit of clove are noted. Alcohol is blended well. I'm not getting much at all. Not bad, but far from great.

The flavor is on-par with the nose. Yeast is very strong in flavor throughout. It doesn't have enough of that distinct Belgian flavor to appease. It's not bad, but it needs to really get things going. Spices are more aggressive in flavor, especially pepper. There's a little clove, but I suspect it's muted to a large degree by the strong pepper flavor. Fruit flavors of apple, pear, and grapefruit are present. Alcohol is noted, but isn't warm by any stretch. It finishes peppery, a little bitter, and dry.

Exit 4 has a medium body that is smooth. Carbonation feels light. Its feel is probably its strongest feature. Drinkability is above average. I like the flavor, but I'm far from loving it. I'll probably polish off the 750, but I definitely don't need any more than that.

This is my first beer from Flying Fish Brewing Company. Exit 4 is alright, but it's not a great Tripel. The Belgian yeast aspect is sorely missing. Not uncommon for American takes on Belgian styles. If it had that, it'd probably warrant a few score bumps. All in all, Exit 4 isn't bad for a pit stop. But, I suspect that after a bottle, you'll be all too ready to get back on the freeway. Definitely worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

A - A finger and a half worth of pure white white head, most of which is rich and creamy with a few big chunky bubbles mixed in... Average at best retention gives way to a thick veil of lacing that is thinner the closer to the edge of the glass it gets... Rich golden color with a glowing orange hue... A slight sticky film covers the glass...

S - Equal part musky and hoppy... Bubble gum... Honey... Belgian yeast...

T - Packs much more of a flavor punch than I would have expected... A potent mix of Belgian yeast, candied sugars, an intriguing blend of hops... The yeast and candied sugars are first and short lived and replaced by a potent pungent hoppiness... The candied sugar returns as part of the aftertaste and is accompanied by hints of honey... Earthy all the way through... Quite unique, definately an americanized (hoppy) version of the Triple style...

M - Goes down very smooth... Medium bodied... Light carbonation... Sticky and slightly viscous... Slightly dry grainy alcohol finish...

D - Solid and enjoyable... A very unique and inspired offering... The near 10% ABV keeps this from being more drinkable...

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

I was browsing through my local Canal's checking for any new brews I've not tried when I stumbled upon this. I've been a rather big fan of Flying Fish and love to support them, as they are a very local brewery, so needless to say I had to try it out.

The beer was from a bottle poured into a pint glass, served at around 40F. The beer looks spectacular, an amber/light brown color, pleasant to the eye, it isn't very transparent, a nice thick looking beer. The head wasn't too thick, and quickly went down as I sipped more. Not much head residue. The smell was what I would expect from a Trippel, a slightly bitter fruity smell. Rather pleasant.

The taste is pretty amazing, it certainly beats the Philadelphia favorite Golden Monkey in my opinion. It's on par with Flying Dogs Kerberos Tripel, which is one of my favorite Trippels. It left a nice coating in my mouth, pleasant. This is a very drinkable beer, highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +16%

No mistake - Casey brewed a special batch to be released in cask on 28 Jan 2010 at Swift Half in Philly and so I made the trek. It was served by gravity pour atop the bar after an hour of sitting to reduce turbidity.

The pour was near to the rim so that I had less than a finger of bone-white foam that gently became a film atop the beer. Color was a hazy honey-gold. Nose was definitely yeast-driven: very tropical fruity, ie. pineapple, mango, coconut. Mouthfeel was silky smooth, my raison d'etre for drinking cask-conditioned beers. It was described by the brewer as "a hoppy trippel". Beyond the mouthfeel, the taste was dusty, musty, definitely yeast-driven, just the way it should be. It was on the finish that I caught the hoppy bite, right on time. Exceptionally smooth, beautifully balanced between the seemingly dichotomous worlds of Belgian yeast and American hops.

Look for it to be available year-'round on a rotating basis (based on hops availability) as a bottle-conditioned 12-ounce beer.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%

Vielen Danke to beerloco for sending this beer, along with a few others, that I really wanted to try after I ran into him (again) at the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. Is there a better thing on this Earth than a box on your doorstep with no expectation of anything in return? Thanks Alan!

Pours a lovely pale yellow that one could slip into a Bud Light mug without the owner noticing the switchover. Tipping the glass to one's mouth would be a dead giveaway, with a boozy, almost grassy nose to it.

Exit 4 is up front about its Belgian genealogy, with the light, yellowish fruits up front on a gentle waft of sweet malts. Alcohol rushes up the line too, underwritten by a hop bite that's subsumed in the sweetness of the brew but appears in the last trickings of a sip. Works nicely to keep the sweetness from overwhelming the rest of the brew's character. This isn't a drinker - after only a few sips I can already feel the 9.7% warming my mind, esophagus, & fingers. Feels like more than that, & that's probably a trick of the mind since it's fairly heavy on the tongue.

Very good beer that I'm glad I've had the chance to sample. I seem to be stuck in a rather "B" rut with Tripels & haven't found that breakaway beer yet, but this one is certainly worthy of the style.

Whew. I thought I missed the boat on this GABF gold medal winner, but luckily I was able to score the final bottle on the shelf at Capone's.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip a slightly hazy orange-gold. A HUGE white head forms on top and gradually becomes a loose-bubbled but very rocky cap.

SMELL: Bready pale malt melds with the lightest Belgian esters in this one. Heavy on the citrus fruitiness with a background spicy note that tries to come through. An odd green apple aroma seems to be there too, but it actually kind of works.

TASTE: A good bit of alcohol burn initially gives way to spicy notes over a somewhat sweet malt base. Some light fruity esters come on in the finish and lead to the perfect dryness to finish this multi-faceted ale off.

MOUTHFEEL: Thin enough and dry enough with a very piquant carbonation. Maybe a tad high even.

DRINKABILITY: Quite good, but the alcohol presence is only slightly overwhelming. Even still, this 750 belongs to me and me alone tonight.

A really fine brew, but I wasn't blown away by it. Thus far, it's my least favorite of the 3 Exit beers, but that should really indicate how good the other 2 (and Flying Fish's operation as a whole) is.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Reviewed at good friends bday party where people shared a few nice bottles.

Flying fish exit 4

A: clear golden yellow, bubbly, active.

S: clean, hoppy, citrus and banana.

T: similar to smell, very clean, hoppy, bitter and fruity. Belgian yeast.

M: clean, active, dry finish.

D: great tripel in my mind. Lovely the whole way over. Great dry finish.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured ito a Weisse glass. Golden hazy yellow with a big fluffy head. Very fruity and spicy. Not a bad Triple but there are better. I do however want to support this series, love the concept and Exit 4 was my childhood exit. A decent beer and can't wait for other exits. Bonus is this series has really pissed off the Turnpike.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%

Another in the Exit series I got to try. I was anxious to get a hold of this one and rightfully so. Served cold and poured into a tulip, it was enjoyed on 10/27/2009.

The pour was much lighter then I was expecting, almost a golden amber color with an ice head of white on top. Lots of lacing left over from very slow retention gave it a huge showing. Aroma was hoppy though, nice touches of grass and hints of light wheat notes on top of apricot and pear notes. Smooth, and light bodied with ample carbonation it was very nice to sip on for sure. Initial hoppiness faded over to the nice fruit notes and a light touch of herbal hops. Dry finish with some good alcohol notes in the back end.

Overall not your traditional triple by any means but very solid none the less, I would have no issue with going after this one again one day, very solid.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Pours a hazy golden yellow iwth hints of orange coloring. Small yeast particulate suspended in the beer when held up to the light.

Aroma dominated by sweet belgian yeast fruitiness. That is the best way to describe it.

Taste is similar to aroma, except with a very apparent hop betterness and alcohol punch. Belgian yeast flavor lingers in the aftertaste, and the alcohol is not well hidden at all.

Mouth feel is a solid medium with fine carbonation bubbles.

Overall, an average beer with very low drinkability due to the combo of fusel alcohol and hop bitterness being overpowering, and unenjoyable as the beer is consumed.

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The day was long, in the thick, muddy yellow-orange haze... There was a vast, frothy cloud cover early on, but it left quickly and no traces remained. We had been rowing since early morning, our bodies drenched with sweat and the aroma of key lime pies with graham cracker crusts. The day had been long, but the catch good as we had sailed through the one-footed islands and spoken with the long-forgotten professors in the old, pillared halls of yesteryear. More aromas, notes of caramel and lemon, mango, warm alcohol and a hint of Hawaiian pizza... always a lovely aroma to come home to after a long day, and now to drift off before the roaring fire in a burgundy tassel-chair...
But the flavour disappoints, lacking complexities, honey-sweet throughout and a bit of hop-bite in the finish, and my toes are too warm. A lot of warming alcohol, but not very multi-dimensional, really. A shame, as the rain beats on the stoop and reminds me that the weather beyond those teak walls is anything but favorable.
The body is medium and not fluffy enough for the style, lightly dry and a massively sweet, syrupy, warming finish. I'll dream of something else, this is obtrusive...
Really not very drinkable, even for a tripel. It's too one-dimensionally sweet and syrupy, and too warming... and really just nothing else.
So I'll lie here in my easy chair and dream, dream of better times, and try to forget that I must wake to row again in the morning...

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a snifter... Very thick head after an agressive pour. Light orangish color, cloudy with little activity

S- Nice aroma. Mix of sweet fruit, sour fruit, and alcohol

T- Not quite as sweet as I had expected. Starts out fruity sweet with maybe some cinnamon, but finishes a bit sour or bitter. Can taste some of the alcohol

M- Pretty light and watery. Smooth with not a lot of carbonation

D- Pretty tasty and drinkable. Not the best trippel, but definately better than most of the other FF beers that I've tried

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Big thanks to Nerofiddled for hooking me up with this one.

Pours a hazy orange, lots of active carbonation, fat, dense and Belgian-esque head, some fine spotty lace. Pretty good, all told.

Smells sweet, (good) spicy, (good) dry, (nice) estery and fruity (check again) and overall quite solid. Maybe some mango here, lemon, tropical fruits, pepper. Could be sharper and more focused, not a real "Belgian" nose here, but not bad... not bad at all...

Hmm, this drinks pretty good... pretty much an "American" tripel, not much Belgian character here, but a good amount of spicy, smooth pale malt balanced with some tropics of ester and sweetness. Pretty solid, does not stand up to the best US Tripels (Allagash...) out there.

Smooth mouthfeel, creamy, affecting. Drinkable. Finishes dry and semi-sweet / spiceful.

Exit 4 is good, but could be better with a more solid yeast strain, I feel like... hmm. A fine effort though, and from Jersey!

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

750ml bottle. Red foil surrounding the cap. First in the Exit Series from Flying Fish.

Appearance - Big frothy head, white with loads of character (i.e. peaks and valleys) as it resolved to a nicely defined head. Lively carbonation. half-inch head retains long after the initial pour. Golden yellow in color with a slight haze.

Smell - American Tripel huh? Hmmm, smells like an American IPA. Nice grapefruit nose, not overpowering but very much a hop (i.e "American") influence to this Trippel? I guess the taste will be the determining factor. Not really smelling anything more. Perhaps a bit of a peppery nose as well. Clean and fresh.

Taste - The first thing to grab me about this beer is the "legs" on it along with the hop initial presentation. Thankfully, the hop bite at the end isn't there. Mid-tones of pepper and cloves, along with a sweet malty balance. Mellow opening leads you into an overall sweet mid-game. Built well, while at the same time an enigma (i.e. what the heck is an "American Trippel"?).

Mouthfeel - A good palate cleaner. Crisp finish with a good refreshing "I want more" approach. Not a lot of carbonation, just enough, which makes this all the more enjoyable and not overly heavy.

Drinkability - No way can I compare this with a St. Bernardus tripel, tripel Karmeliet or a Westmalle tripel. In my opinion, this doesn't fit the "Tripel" class. No BJCP guidelines for this offering. To me, you add an arse load of hops to a tripel style and you get this beer. The beer's overall ease of consumption is there, as the alcohol is well-hidden throughout. Good density in this beer and would stand up to many foods that are exceedingly robust (pot roast, thick soups/stews, etc.).

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Large bottle capped and red foil over the top. No freshness info. Pours medium amber with an apricot hue. The head is off white, appropriatly huge initially, decent retention showed then spotted lace left behind. Fruity candy sugar sweet nose. Got to respect em for swinging for the fences with a take on this outstanding style, but this one does not make it out of the middle of the road. Some phenolic tendencies, but not enough, some hoppy feel but not enough. All in all a decent tasting brew, but ends up being a lower level American tripel, compared to the all stars of the style.

Exit 4 from Flying Fish Brewing Company