Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Exit 1 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 1Exit 1

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 11-06-2009

Exit 1 is beer brewed with oysters. The creamy flavor of English chocolate and roasted malts harmonizes with minerals from oyster shells. Irish ale yeast adds a bit of fruitiness and a dry crispness. The rich stout is perfect for cool weather-and especially delicious when paired with a few Jersey oysters on the half shell.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Exit 1 Alström Bros
3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle conditioned; 7.0% abv.

Poured a deep chocolate hue, almost midnight-black, with a moderate amount of hazelnut-colored head. Looks extremely viscous. Aroma was a bit earthy with slight notes of cocoa and rich yeast.

On first taste, coffee....espresso....whoo, feel like I am getting a caffeine burst! However, all mouthfeel is gone within just a few seconds. Almost tastes like a watered down version of Guinness. Very surprising considering the look of the pour.

For a stout, the drinkability is very high, but only because it doesn't feel at all heavy. Definitely not what I was expecting. I was looking forward to a tinge of salt-water, but if no one told me oysters were used in production, I wouldn't have guessed it myself.

3.22/5  rDev -18.1%

Big thanks to a generous trader.

I must admit, I approached this beer with no small amount of trepidation. Oysters ... hmmm...

Pours a blackish black with a black interior and black edging. It's a dark brew. Nice looking bubbling dark brown foam. Really attractive. I'm leaning towards giving it a 5 for appearance. Hmm...I think I will. Long lasting brown crust and a thin smattering of foam.

The smell, unfortunately, does not live up to the appearance. Some roasty, dry smelling malts (yeah, they smell dry) along with some charred coffee and ... maybe a hint of chocolate.

Taste is charred and roasty, a bit of coffee and bitter chocolate. There's a weird brackish aftertaste. Is that my imagination, or is a bit like salt brine? Quite distracting. It could just be uber charred astringent malt, not sure.

Well, it was an experience. I get a bit queasy thinking about gobs of oysters going into the brew kettle, but thanks for the chance to try it!

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to sholland for this very recent trade extra!

Shared with BA urbancaver and friends.

Poured a flat root beer to black into my sampler glass. Average brown head with big bubbles that receded quickly.

Smells heavily coffee grounds, sweet malts and dark chocolate nibs.

Taste reflects the nose in the flavor profile with additional black licorice in it. Sorry, but I can't get past the unusually dry & gritty, almost calcium filled dryness of this beer. I had to end this bottle prematurely...

3.26/5  rDev -17%

a-pitch black with a two finger tan head.

s-coffee and shellfish?(is my mind playing tricks on me?)

t-Roast. Coffee. Some maltiness. Firmly bitter. Slightly oceanlike. A bit metallic as the beer warms.

m-Medium bodied, medium carbonation. No alcohol heat. Slightly astringent.

d-Not bad but seems kind of one dimentional. Lots of coffee and not much else.

3.26/5  rDev -17%

750ml bottle into tulip.

Pours with the deepest black color I've experienced - zero light even on the edges, and the darkest brown/charcoal colored head I've seen.

Smell - Um, "bay of pigs" comes to mind... Starts with the Bayside of the Jersey shore, followed by a pig farm. Salty, with some charcoal, but lacking most of the usual stout qualities. Points for being interesting and dead-on for the name, though.

Flavor had some smoked ham qualities, with just a touch of dark cocoa powder. Sea salt lingers in the aftertaste.

Slightly creamy mouthfeel, but a little thinner than I had hoped for.

Really wish that I had this with a strong complimentary cheese, or something else to help cut the heavy salt profile. I may have enjoyed it's unique qualities a little more.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

capped 750ml bottle

Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a big brown head. Roasted coffee bean, smokey, notes of chocolate and a mild saltyness in the aroma. Light bodied, all texture here from the oysters used, cand say im a fan of the grainy/ashy texture but its there like it or not. Very dry and light, i could see this beer showing better when paired with food.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Very dark brown with slight reddish hues. Basically no head, though what was there was a tan color.

S - Sweet aroma with chocolate, alcohol, fruity yeast and sort of a nutty sweetness that I can only attribute to the oysters. Maybe a little salty too.

T - Dark chocolate, malt, more of the dark, nutty fruit that you get from a really dark chocolate. Finishes dry with some roasted malt bitterness.

M - Fairly low carbonation. Though this is a pretty rich beer there is a dryness from the alcohol and maybe the oysters that keeps it from really feeling too heavy on the palate.

D - Very interesting, but the complexities seem to be overpowered as the beer warms by the chocolatey malt and alcohol. I think this would be nice with some creamy stew.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Exit 1. Opaque black pour with a tan but almost orange head.  Smells like a stout, dark toasty malt.  Smoky dark malt flavor.  Can't pick out the oyster though I wish I could!  A solid stout at a fair abv for the flavor, though has plenty of room to either intensify the flavor or drop the abv.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance- poured a pitch black as dark as night, slight tan head, but really nice color and look off the pour,

Smell- coffee and espresso dominate the nose, but good fragrant nose

Taste- the taste is dominated by coffee and roasted malts more then anything else, the finish is short and not nearly as strong as it looks appearance wise, the flavor is enjoyable but still rather simple and nothing really crazy impressive,

Mouthfeel- theres nothing really terrible here but its just extremely light for the style, from what I had heard abit the oyster would add some extra weight or body and this just wasnt the case, really to light for what I expect in big stout

Drinkability- you can drink this stout easily considering the abv being so high but the complexity just falls flat for me, to thin and watery though the flavors it does present are all right, i cant picture if I was gonna drink something with this high of an abv i would settle for one this simple, again and okay beer but so many better stouts out there, flying fish to me usually makes okay beers but really never great

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a .750

A - Pours a dark black with a one finger medium-brown head that sticks around for a bit

S - Big roasted malt aroma, light cocoa notes

T&M - Roasted malts carry through and are predominant. There is a slight ashy earthiness and an almost salty presence. I think this is a bit thin in the mouthfeel, and leaves the ashy character on the pallet after swallowing

D - Not as "big" as I was expecting, but still rather yummy and sessionable. I opened this .750 on my own, and I don't think I'll have any trouble finishing it off.

My first "Oyster Stout"; as advertsied, I think this would pair fantastically with Oysters or a nice, hearty stew.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL champagne style bomber poured into a tulip

Pours ink black with a bubbly, foamy mocha colored cap. Head sticks around for a while and recedes to form a thin collar and leaves dots and lines of lace in its wake.

With a touch of trepidation, I leaned in for a whiff and was welcomed with deep, dark roasted malt, coffee, bittersweet Belgian chocolate, dark cherries and a not so faint aroma of the ocean/sea salt. Whew, not nearly as fishy as I was expecting.

In the flavor profile, the charred malt comes out a bit more and there is a metallic, see salt, oceanic flavor that is hard to miss. I kind of enjoyed for the first half of the bottle, but as the second half went down, it wore on me and broke me down. The coffee and cherries are low and lean on the palate and after a while, all I can taste is the ocean qualities.

Medium to full bodied with a watery, metallic feel that grew as the beer warmed. Somewhat creamy, but the bivalves definitely took away from the smoothness of the body.

I would have really liked this had it been in a smaller bottle or I just had one glass on tap. All in all, I liked the char and the coffee, but the oysters grew and grew to be too big for me. Fairly drinkable.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Bought this bottle back in November 2009 and held on to it for about 2 years before opening.

Opaque black and thick with a small dark tan head. As I poured, my girlfriend exclaimed, "That looks like motor oil!" Good thing it did not smell/taste like motor oil... or oysters for that matter. Roasted malt aroma with a hint of coffee. Flavor was bitter with notes of dark chocolate and coffee. The bitterness got to me and after one glass, I was ready to move on to something else.

Not my favorite stout but far from bad. Overall, a pretty average beer that could benefit from more complexity.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany to near cloudy black with a 1/2 finger off white crown (gray brown) that displays moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Nice chocolate malt with some roast malt and a tiny hint of black anise.

Taste: Same as nose.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin.

Overall: Nothing I'd seek out again but nothing offensive either.

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle on 2-2-10
Another 6 weeks of winter and its snowing tonight, thank P-Phil

A - Pours a pitch black with 3 inches of tan foam that slowly dissipated and left a nice layer of bubbles

S - roasted malts, coffee, lactose and bitter chocolate, slightly burnt

T - roasted malts and bitter chocolate dominate with just a hint of saltiness to it

M - smooth and creamy, good carbonation, medium bodied

D - very smooth and light enough to drink alot of, the saltiness does keep me from going for another. Its good, but it sort of reminds you of a very very light salt water gargle.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

750ml bottle. Pours a completely opaque black with a decent, fizzy brown head, good lacing. Aroma is roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and bread. Flavor is roasted malts, coffee, a touch of chocolate, spicy hops, light smokiness, and dark fruits. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium, roasted bitterness, low carbonation, and salty. Good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

a- Dark and black, Looks almost like motor Oil. Small brown head

s- Chocolate, Coffee flavors

t- Sweet mix Chocolate and Coffee, a little bit of salt and smokey flavor. No noticeable Oyster taste

m- Thick and very smooth, lightly carbonated

d- Good but heavy, wouldn't want to drink an entire bottle.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle in a standard pint glass. Bottle printed with 01-09-15, assume it was bottled 01-09-14.

A: Pitch black. Small creamy tan-colored head that faded quickly. Lightly lacing on the glass.

S: Milk chocolate, cream, coffee and espresso, roasty malts.

T: Salty flavor with a roasty bitterness of burnt bread and espresso.Hints of dark fruit phenols form the yeast, not dominant or easily distinguished. Lingering coffee as it finishes with a sweet aftertaste of chocolate and fruit. Slightly boozy, too. Did I mention, salty?

M: Medium body, lightly carbonated. Dry finish.

O: Interesting beer. Saltiness, chocolate, roasty bitterness, coffee, even some fruity sweetness. Complex, almost busy flavor profile. Not something I'd be falling down to get again, but I wouldn't turn it down, and would definitely recommend it to a beer connoisseur to add to their repertoire.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%

Well look-e here I am the one to add this little dousy. Although the bottle states 7% ABV on the website it says 7.5%. So I called it an american stout.I bought it from Trenton Road Takeout in PA.
No expiration date. Poured into a snifter.Pours an opague black that left a very thick dark brown heading. Lacing all throughout the tasting.Very creamy looking.

Smell is heavily roasted and also chocolate malts with a somewhat spicy and fruity character probably from the the irish ale yeast they added.

Taste is very much the same roasted and heavy dark chocolate malts with a very odd and overwhelming aftertaste. After a few more sips and not being able to quite put a finger on it I read the bottle " English chocolate and roasted malts harmonizes with a perceived dryness from the oysters". Yes that was it exactley a very dry funky aftertase but yet still smooth.

Mouth is good but does leave a slight grittiness in the mouth. Excellent carbonation for a heavier stout which stayed till the last sip. Full bodied and again finished a little dry and funky.

Drinkability is ok. I had a tough time with this settling in the belly.The oyster dryness leaves the same feeling that was left in the mouth is in the belly. Did not sit to well with me. A good tasting beer but definetley not a session for me.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours out a very dark, opaque, cola brown with a short mocha head that falls to a partial cover while not leaving any lacing.
The smell is dark, nicely roasted malt.
The taste is more of the roasted malt that hangs around throughout. There is a subdued, bitter, dark chocolate flavor in the middle.
Mouthfeel is medium, a bit dry and reasonably carbonated throughout.
Drinkability is OK, this is my 1st FES and if this is a good indicator of the style, other stout styles suit me more.

So far, this has been a good Beer Series for FF and I hope to try some more.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

"I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick. Not wounded. Dead."

--Woody Allen

Jet black with no highlights whatsoever, despite bright March sunshine outside my front window. Even the crown is two fingers' worth of dark caramel brown. It sinks incredibly slowly and does a fine job decorating the upper reaches of the glass.

According to no less an authority than Michael Jackson, the original oyster stouts did not contain oysters, but were so named because they accompanied that dish extremely well. Some old recipes used oyster shells as finings since their alkalinity counteracted sourness. It seems that using oysters during brewing is a relatively new phenomenon.

Does Bayshore Oyster Stout smell like oysters? No, it doesn't. It smells like a chocolate and roasted malty export stout with black licorice notes. It was less than pungent immediately after the pour and is opening up a little as it warms.

Oddly enough, the flavor is somewhat muted as well. An intensity knob on the side of the bottle would be great right about now. There's a different sort of flavor (sourish, slightly briny) underlying the the usual stout flavor profile, but it's on the mild side. It's hard to imagine an aggressive oyster-flavored stout being much of a success.

Despite being less medium-full than most foreign/export stouts of this ABV, the mouthfeel earns a good score because it's lightly creamy, is as smooth as summer-weight silk, and is expertly bubbled.

Exit 1 (the third in the series) is more interesting than good. Maybe Flying Fish felt that a darker, bolder, richer maltiness would have crowded out the oyster flavor. It might have, and would have required a name change, but it would have made for better beer in the end. Thanks to jwc215 for the bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pitch black. Black as night. Oil. Dense, dense, dense head the color of chocolate milk. We're talking 3+ fingers

S: Coffee, baked sugar, salt.

T: Espresso, cream, dark chocolate, salt, slightly tart at the end.

M: Medium bodied and just verging on dry.

D: A nice deep winter beer. It's freezing out, so this beer is perfectly drinkable to me.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

The aromas are initially roasty and smoky with some underlying woody and earthy hop notes.

The taste is again, smoke and woody which is complemented by the extremely light earthy hops, this gives the stout an almost charred character. The hop character has really fallen out since this was released a year ago. No bitterness at all in the finish, finish is smooth and creamy. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall this is a very nice stout but not my favorite example by a long shot. I wasn't prepared for the smokiness (I hate smoke beers as an FYI) but this is still quite nice despite my typical preferences. I really enjoy these Exit beers and look forward to the next one.

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- pitch black with a cola rim. Tan head which fades to a ring rather quickly, but leaves excellent lacing.

S- cocoa, coffee, alcohol, smoky.

T- cocoa, acidic coffee. The finish is dry, salty, and smoky.

M- light bodied, active carbonation.

O- strange, briny, smoky, weird.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle.
A) Pours with a finger thick brown head. Opaque body. The lacing is thin and semi-sticky.
S) Smoky aroma. Bready. Hints of chocolate and coffee.
T) Rich chocolate with coffee. Smoky. Roasted grains. Robust up front then weakens. Just a hint of sweetness similar to lactose.
M) A subtle slick, oily feel on the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Full body.
D) A good stout. Thick and chewy. I'd have another.

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle I purchased some time ago and sort of forgot about. Poured into a standard pint, the brew appears black with a dark brown 2 finger froth that slowly fades leaving a thin silky topping. Spots of stringy lace stick to the glass.

The aroma is like baker's cocoa coupled with raisony alcohol, coffee and more of a milky sweet chocolate note. A hint of minerals is present through the back of the nose mixing with a bit of an earthen aspect. As the brew warms up, a note of soy sauce starts to emerge.

The flavor is roasted with a chocolate combination of the previously mentioned sweet milk chocolate and bakers bitter chocolate character. Middle of the profile has a mineral/earthen aspect that lasts into the aftertaste with a bit of raisony alcohol flavoring. The aftertaste has a bit of soy or saline character.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amoubt of carbonation. It is a fairly decent export stout with the expected mineral/saline character present from the oyster aspect. I think I held on to this brew too long, I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that it was probably a beer best served more fresh than this.

Exit 1 from Flying Fish Brewing Company