Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 16Exit 16

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Although usually identified with landfills and pipelines, the Hackensack Meadowlands is an amazingly diverse ecosystem providing vital animal and plant habitat. In a nod to a once common food plant here, we’ve brewed this beer with wild rice. We also added organic brown and white rice, as well as pils and pale malts.

Rice helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five different hops we added. Lots and lots of them. We then dry-hopped this Double IPA with even more–generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops to create a nose that hints at tangerine, mango, papaya and pine. This beer pairs extremely well with spicy foods and all kinds of seafood. And of course, it’s quite enjoyable all by itself.

(Beer added by: donniecuffs on 03-10-2010)
Reviews by Ego:
4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

I don't know if I would trust anything growing off exit 16... not my usual haunt but man I drive by it every day on the way to hackensack... I thought the ole "what exit are ya" thing was a parkway thing...

eyes...
audible pop when opening the rubber seal on my ole german style glass growldog, on first glance the color really stands out, I mean this looks like coors light or some such, golden hue with a hint of amber, decent carbonation rises up but the head fades rather quickly, lacing and legs is decent, definitely would not have guessed DIPA here...

nose...
beautifully citric, grapefruit sour patch kids, disgustingly awesome hop freshness that smells like fresh herbs (and herb if you get my not at all subtle drift), very clean and dry.. it smells light in a way, you get just a real full zone of hop... not varied, very much one note but damn that note is fine as pie (hey, that's my pie!)

taste etc...
drinks crisp like a pils but with hop-atude (c) me, spicy and floral.. yet way approachable, the bitterness is subtle and fades quickly but the flavor makes you feel as if you are waiting for a IBU slap upside the head, carbonation wise this is great, it has a good amount of fizz that really makes this refreshing, you can't help but get caught up in the ease of this beer, smooth ? hell yes, this is one easy drinker... and the ABV >? where is it ? nicely done.
Every sip is a great experience start to finish, you get the carbonation, the hop, the coating on the tongue, the bitters on the back quadrants and then the clean finish... really just spot on.

verdict?
sure, I want to support local brews, but only if they are worth it. well damn it, this beer is great, it delivers a really nice hop character but is super clean and refined. I suppose some might say it is tame, but I maintain this is done right. Sure, a friggin hop hammer of absolute nuclear hoppage in your mouth is fun and tasty... but this is a really nicely crafted beer that hits on all the notes I love about beer without having to be the biggest cock on the block

ps:
in bottles this stuff is still really good, available in 6 packs now... best brew FF makes by a longshot.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into a nonic a very light pale yellow with a a half finger bone white head atop,one of the lighter colored beers of the style I have come across.Grassy notes mainly in the notes along with some mild toasted grain,the hops don't really jump out.Leafy and citric hops at the onset of the palate with some firm toasted grain,not nearly as sweet as many of the stylejust mainly alcohol sweetness in the finish.A little different take on the DIPA here,not in your face alcohol and sharp hops,a little more dry and subtle.

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I forgot who gave me this one as an extra, but thanks to whomever it was. I think this'll only be the second double "rice" IPA that I've ever had... the first being Kuhnhenn's DRIPA. Those are some big shoes to fill. Cloudy, opaque gold with some tangerine peel acting as an outline. The huge, bright white cloudy head is chunky and sticky, lasting forever and leaving behind some damn good lacing on the glass.

Peppery hops, mild phenol alcohol, mint, and almost a menthol-like omnipresence to the whole thing. Not what I expected at first, but the following few sniffs bring out more of the fruity bouquet; bright citrus, grapefruit, tropical mango, pineapple, and dense pine trees. The abundance of spice on the front end is blunting the Citra more than I'd like, but I guess you can't always get what you want, right?

The first sip is a little bit watered down; not to the extreme, but kind of vapid for an 8.2% ABV double IPA. Nevertheless, it's still endlessly hoppy, just not to the ends of the earth. White pepper, vibrant citrus, grapefruit peel, mild mango. Not as fruity as the back-half of the nose, but the front-end isn't as peppery-spicy, either, so that's where the line is drawn.

Bitterness hits hard around mid-palate, but again - nothing too high or heavy for the style and size of the beer... It's actually quite mild for a DIPA. A nice, crisp, dry finish certainly helps the drinkability, and when coupled with the relatively lighter flavors and body, this is probably one of the more drinkable DIPAs out there, in the sense that you can throw it back without much hesitation between sips. Heavily carbonated, stingy mouth feel.

Decent. Not bad at all, really. I guess I just wanted a little more from it. A little more citrus or tropical fruit. A little more pine, a little more resin. Without being told, I might assume this is somewhere around a 6-7% ABV, regular IPA. It drinks like it, anyway. Definitely something I can vibe to, although there are some better shelf choices out there. Still a nice way to expand your catalog of rice IPAs, though.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to swalden28 for sharing this bottle at a recent tasting.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is resiny hops and not too much else. The flavor is more of the same. This is definitely a DIPA with an emphasis on resiny hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Received this bottle as an extra from jkane101 in a recent trade. Thanks man!

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw golden that is on the lighter side of a DIPA out of the bottle with about a finger and a half of nice creamy white head. Active beading and mild lacing left as I drink.

Smell- Very fruity. It's interesting but the last two DIPA I've had I've been getting strong lemon citrus notes, which I hadn't really noticed before in many DIPA I've had. This one's included though, get a lot of lemon and grapefruit out of the nose along with a little bit of pine needles.

Taste- Again, starts of with very fruity, lemony and grapefruit oriented hops. A pretty strong dose of piney resins follows that up. Finishes off with a slightly interesting spiciness and a nice drying bitterness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is nice and substantial with good levels of carbonation to keep the beer moving. Drinkability is decent as well, though the beer sweetened up fairly substantially as it warmed I felt.

Overall, very solid DIPA. Wouldn't go a long ways out of my way to get it again but definitely worth a shot if you've got it in your area.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle via trade with Lunch - thanks!

Pours a hazy golden color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of pale malts with good amounts of rice aromas that are best described as slightly tart with hints of lemon peel. Also present are good amounts of bright citrus hop aromas with smaller amounts of tropical fruit hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells, although the hops aren't quite as robust. Crisp pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined by wild rice flavors shortly thereafter. Solid amounts of hop flavors enter into things midway through the sip, mostly citrus but with hints of herbal and tropical fruit flavors as well. The hops carry through to a mildly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have a few more without any problems.

Overall I was expecting more a hop bomb when I saw the light color but the rice has more influence than I'd expected. An interesting beer that was impressive, worth a shot.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%