Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 16Exit 16

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Although usually identified with landfills and pipelines, the Hackensack Meadowlands is an amazingly diverse ecosystem providing vital animal and plant habitat. In a nod to a once common food plant here, we’ve brewed this beer with wild rice. We also added organic brown and white rice, as well as pils and pale malts.

Rice helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five different hops we added. Lots and lots of them. We then dry-hopped this Double IPA with even more–generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops to create a nose that hints at tangerine, mango, papaya and pine. This beer pairs extremely well with spicy foods and all kinds of seafood. And of course, it’s quite enjoyable all by itself.

(Beer added by: donniecuffs on 03-10-2010)

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

Tried this at the Exit 16 Release Party, at The Coppermine Pub on monday March 8th, in North Arlington, NJ...conveniently located off of Exit 16.

A - Poured a hazy, golden hue, with about a finger of white head. Retention and lacing were ok; nothing stellar.

S - Wow..a veritable potpourri of every citrus fruit you could possibly think of: mango, pineapple, yellow grapefruit, lemon, and orange peel all come to the fore. It's always nice to detect something else as prominently as pink grapefruit in the nose of a double ipa, and this beer certainly fit the bill.

T - The taste was an excellent mix of all of the aforementioned citrus flavors, beginning with the sweeter sensations of mango and pineapple, and then blending into the more bitter grapefruit tones mid-palate. More malt balance was evident mid-palate as well. The finish was a decidedly excellent bitter orange/grapefruit peel. Well done. Oh, and by the way, there was no evidence whatsoever of the alcohol content in the flavor. Very dangerous.

M - The appearance will fool you, as this is not a thin beer. The feel was thick, yet velvet smooth.

D - I had three of these in 30min, and I probably would have had many more, had I not had to meet my family for dinner. A deceptively drinkable strong beer; be very careful when sessioning it. The bar chalkboard said 9.5%abv, but the website says 8.2%abv, so I'll assume the latter is correct.

In summary, a truly outstanding double ipa; another great entry in the Exit Series. I might like this one even better than Exit 4.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Big thanks to mikey711 for sending me this brew in our trade. Cheers!

A- Pours a bright hazy golden color with a pillowy whit foam head. Nice lacing is left behind.

S- Whoa...this scream west coast DIPA. Huge aromas of citrus and floral hops. Freshly squeezed lemon and pine scents make themselves present as well. I just hope it tastes as good as it smells...

T- Thankfully, it does. Waves of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and pine come crashing onto the scene carrying along a truckload of bitterness. This baby is a hop lovers dream! A gentle warming effect is created by the alcohol in the finish.

M- I have to keep telling myself that this is a sipper but I can't put my glass down! Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

D- Truly a wonderful brew. Equipped with all of the hoppy bitterness and flavor that a true hophead could ask for.

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Straw golden color with a very fluffy soapy white head that leaves great lacing. Slightly over carbonated as the head puffed up very fast, and there is a touch of cloudiness to this.

S: West coast hoppy DIPA all the way. Loads of citrus lemon, apricot, orange, pineapple and peach. Reminds me of elder the first time I tried it. There is also a mild touch of sweetness from the rice, it smells like white rice provides a subtle popcorn/buttery sweetness that goes nicely with the hops

T: A juicy citrus hop bomb for sure and I love it. Very much a west coast IPA with all of the fruitiness but there is a mild hint of grapefruit and piney bitterness. Not as resinous a PtY but damn tasty

M: Very smooth for a DIPA with no heat present and a welcoming lingering hop flavor. The rice definitely keeps this one lighter, but there is still a nice creaminess.

D: I think NJ may have a new best beer for the state. Flying Fish, please add this to your regular rotation

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

I'm no expert reviewer, but felt compelled to give my opinion on this particular brew. Without a doubt the most drinkable IPA I've ever had, never mind a double. Pours crystal clear with yellow tint. Huge nose of hop citrus with a subtle, lacing head. I can't speak for the taste since I don't have the skill, but you can certainly notice the rice and sweet grapefruit almost like putting sugar on a pink grapefruit, with a perfect bitterness at the finish.

Try it, if IPAs and drinkable beer are your thing, so is this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Delicious - I had to pick up some for a friend to give as a birthday gift, so I got up bright and early to find it. And I am glad I slipped myself a bottle.

Pours a clear sunny yellow, with a very faint haze. The head is large and fluffy. The aroma reaches out of the bottle the moment you open it - a sunny, citrus hop character with grapefruit, persimmon, a little jasmine. The flavor reminds me of nothing so much as the great Russian River duo of Pliny beers, though necessarily a bit milder on several fronts. Exit 16 has an intense citrusy hop blast on the tongue. It tastes as of there is a fair bit of Simcoe in there, I suspect. In the background of both the aroma and flavor is a blast of fruity sweetness, apricot and peach, super ripe on a summer day. The mouthfeel is fairly thin and the finish is achingly dry (this, I suspect is where the rice influence manifests itself).

God, this is good.