Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 16Exit 16

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Beer added by: donniecuffs on 03-10-2010

Although usually identified with landfills and pipelines, the Hackensack Meadowlands is an amazingly diverse ecosystem providing vital animal and plant habitat. In a nod to a once common food plant here, we’ve brewed this beer with wild rice. We also added organic brown and white rice, as well as pils and pale malts.

Rice helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five different hops we added. Lots and lots of them. We then dry-hopped this Double IPA with even more–generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops to create a nose that hints at tangerine, mango, papaya and pine. This beer pairs extremely well with spicy foods and all kinds of seafood. And of course, it’s quite enjoyable all by itself.
4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

Tried this at the Exit 16 Release Party, at The Coppermine Pub on monday March 8th, in North Arlington, NJ...conveniently located off of Exit 16.

A - Poured a hazy, golden hue, with about a finger of white head. Retention and lacing were ok; nothing stellar.

S - Wow..a veritable potpourri of every citrus fruit you could possibly think of: mango, pineapple, yellow grapefruit, lemon, and orange peel all come to the fore. It's always nice to detect something else as prominently as pink grapefruit in the nose of a double ipa, and this beer certainly fit the bill.

T - The taste was an excellent mix of all of the aforementioned citrus flavors, beginning with the sweeter sensations of mango and pineapple, and then blending into the more bitter grapefruit tones mid-palate. More malt balance was evident mid-palate as well. The finish was a decidedly excellent bitter orange/grapefruit peel. Well done. Oh, and by the way, there was no evidence whatsoever of the alcohol content in the flavor. Very dangerous.

M - The appearance will fool you, as this is not a thin beer. The feel was thick, yet velvet smooth.

D - I had three of these in 30min, and I probably would have had many more, had I not had to meet my family for dinner. A deceptively drinkable strong beer; be very careful when sessioning it. The bar chalkboard said 9.5%abv, but the website says 8.2%abv, so I'll assume the latter is correct.

In summary, a truly outstanding double ipa; another great entry in the Exit Series. I might like this one even better than Exit 4.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Big thanks to mikey711 for sending me this brew in our trade. Cheers!

A- Pours a bright hazy golden color with a pillowy whit foam head. Nice lacing is left behind.

S- Whoa...this scream west coast DIPA. Huge aromas of citrus and floral hops. Freshly squeezed lemon and pine scents make themselves present as well. I just hope it tastes as good as it smells...

T- Thankfully, it does. Waves of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and pine come crashing onto the scene carrying along a truckload of bitterness. This baby is a hop lovers dream! A gentle warming effect is created by the alcohol in the finish.

M- I have to keep telling myself that this is a sipper but I can't put my glass down! Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

D- Truly a wonderful brew. Equipped with all of the hoppy bitterness and flavor that a true hophead could ask for.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Straw golden color with a very fluffy soapy white head that leaves great lacing. Slightly over carbonated as the head puffed up very fast, and there is a touch of cloudiness to this.

S: West coast hoppy DIPA all the way. Loads of citrus lemon, apricot, orange, pineapple and peach. Reminds me of elder the first time I tried it. There is also a mild touch of sweetness from the rice, it smells like white rice provides a subtle popcorn/buttery sweetness that goes nicely with the hops

T: A juicy citrus hop bomb for sure and I love it. Very much a west coast IPA with all of the fruitiness but there is a mild hint of grapefruit and piney bitterness. Not as resinous a PtY but damn tasty

M: Very smooth for a DIPA with no heat present and a welcoming lingering hop flavor. The rice definitely keeps this one lighter, but there is still a nice creaminess.

D: I think NJ may have a new best beer for the state. Flying Fish, please add this to your regular rotation

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Delicious - I had to pick up some for a friend to give as a birthday gift, so I got up bright and early to find it. And I am glad I slipped myself a bottle.

Pours a clear sunny yellow, with a very faint haze. The head is large and fluffy. The aroma reaches out of the bottle the moment you open it - a sunny, citrus hop character with grapefruit, persimmon, a little jasmine. The flavor reminds me of nothing so much as the great Russian River duo of Pliny beers, though necessarily a bit milder on several fronts. Exit 16 has an intense citrusy hop blast on the tongue. It tastes as of there is a fair bit of Simcoe in there, I suspect. In the background of both the aroma and flavor is a blast of fruity sweetness, apricot and peach, super ripe on a summer day. The mouthfeel is fairly thin and the finish is achingly dry (this, I suspect is where the rice influence manifests itself).

God, this is good.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

I'm no expert reviewer, but felt compelled to give my opinion on this particular brew. Without a doubt the most drinkable IPA I've ever had, never mind a double. Pours crystal clear with yellow tint. Huge nose of hop citrus with a subtle, lacing head. I can't speak for the taste since I don't have the skill, but you can certainly notice the rice and sweet grapefruit almost like putting sugar on a pink grapefruit, with a perfect bitterness at the finish.

Try it, if IPAs and drinkable beer are your thing, so is this beer.

4.74/5  rDev +15%

Orangish-yellow color, strikingly similar to a hefeweizen. Nice fluffy, sticky head that leaves some good lacing.

Smell is incredible, really something special--mostly grapefruit and orange that make me salivate for the first sip.

Taste is bitter hops and grapefruit. The malt is there, but like other dipas, thought I'm not really missing it here. Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is lower than I would expect for the color.

Really delicious and very drinkable. A real win for FF and NJ. Fingers crossed they decide to keep this one around.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Wow! If I didnt know better I would think this beer came from SoCal. I am very impressed.
A: Hazy, light burned orange with a finger thick foamy head that thins out rather fast and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
S: Smell is of some earthy/floral hops with a very faint yeast aroma.
T: I am very impressed. The initial taste is of citrus hops with other tropical fruits mixed in. Mango, Papaya and Grapefruit dominate the taste. Very light malt with a pleasant, refreshing tropical fruit aftertaste. 8.2% ABV is not noticed.
M: Medium body. This beer isnt thick or chewy. Slightly dry.
D: This is a great drinking beer. Stands up against most of the west coast beers of the same style. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this beer becomes a year round or at the very least a seasonal offering.
If you are a fan of Pliny, Sculpin and the rest I would give this one a try.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle split with onix1agr and sourbatchkid.

A- pours a hazy golden rod with two fingers of white fluffy head settles quickly to nice cap and bits of lace.

S- tons of tropical and citrus fruits. Mango, pineapple, tangerine, and lemon. Damn those citra hops are for real. Mild background graininess that does in fact remind me of wild rice.

T- big hops up front with all the fruit in the basket and a nice bitter that keeps perfect balance. Nice dry rice grain backbone that supports the hops and never overshadows. Mild sweetness that floats in and out bring a new picture to this brew.

M- medium body with a light to medium carb. Nice slow linger and ever so enjoyable.

D- I really like this stuff. I want to run back out and get some more. Great brew for sure and I'm thinking I can get down on a whole one myself.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a lighter straw color with fantastic clarity. This could easily be mistaken for a pilsner. The head is a two finger white color with nice retention. Quite a bit of lace is left on the glass, as well.

S: I notice a lot of pineapple, mango, apricot, pine, and coriander. Hell, I even pick up some of the wild rice used. Quite the impressive aroma in general. However, I can see how someone could pick up 'cat pee' from the Citra hops - thankfully it all works quite well in this one.

T: THIS is the kind of IPA I like. Light, citrusy, crisp, and refreshing - without any overdone maltiness or hop harshness to spoil things. The citrusy character on this is particularly well done - chock full of mango, passion fruit, apricot, grapefruit, and guava. A slight 'green' flavor comes through in the midtaste as well, but it's hardly what I'd call "piny." Neither is it remotely bitter. Maybe it could use a little more complexity...when the few flavors it presents are so incredible, though, who really cares?

M: Completely bone dry and crisp, just as advertised. If the flavors weren't so joyous to savor, this would go down spectacularly easy. Honestly, though, the ultra-dry finish somehow fits this beer. It's one of those offerings that I like to keep swishing around in my mouth because I want to savor every last drop. The hop resins linger nicely without providing much bitterness.

O: I hardly ever go this high with my ratings. But this one I feel deserves it. The only other Flying Fish beer I had was the extremely meh Winter Reserve - so who would have ever thought they would come through with such a fantastic DIPA? In retrospect, $16 for a 6-pack is kind of a bargain, really.

4.61/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The aroma of this beer is almost perfect very citrusy and floral. The flavor isn't quite as robust but it is great. It is a bit under carbonated for me. It has a nice bitter finish but starts out kind of mellow. Overall this is an excellent beer. Never seen it in bottles.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Beer is yellow and hazy. Forms a white head of medium and small bubbles that falls away leaving some lacing on the glass and the head falls away and breaks.

Whoa! Pineapple great hop aroma. Wonderful wonderful wonderful. I'm guessing Nelson Sauvin hops in there. I should see if there is an explanation on the website. Great great aroma. Upon internet investigation its Citra hops.

Beer is sweet, but not too sweet, medium body with no carbonation on the palate. There is WONDERFUL hop character on the midpalate of this beer. Its so phenomenal. I love it. It finishes cleanly but there is growing bitterness in the palate and in the back. Great mouthfeel, great drinkability. Everyone should try this beer. A great experiment in Citra hops. Thank you Flying Fish.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Sipping this on draft at Capones in Norristown, PA on 3/29/2010. Poured into a 16 oz pint glass. Pours a crystal clear yellow golden color with a ridiculously billowly head.

The nose is lots of amazingly citriusy hops. Lots of ruby grapefruit. Slight malt backbone but overall an intoxicatingly sweet, hoppy aroma.

The taste is absolutely suburb. Looks lighter than it drinks. Great floral hops, not overwhelming and very balanced. The malt holds up the middle of the beer with another great hop blast at the end of the sip.

Drinkability on this is on the higher end but it does clock in a some higher ABV and the general viscosity of the beer led me to check it as a sipper. The ABV is completely masked by the awesome flavor to it's credit.

I'm so happy to have been able to try this. Immediatly bought a bottle of it after trying it on draft. I think Flying Fish nailed it with this one. Wouldn't be surprised if it didn't reach celeb status. If you can find it, order it.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Proudly brewed in Joysey, you say?
A flame, a yellow flame, a dance, a lovely dance, we whistle, we float. A beautiful yellow flame, a white sheet floating through the air, like so much wax, so much anthrax on the table. A cloud, a yellow cloud, and a beautiful sheet, a lace, a sensuous, sexual drifting through the air...
And the wild, the wild rice, a spice, a spicey wild rice, even a seasoned salt, a well seasoned grass, a bitterness like no other, like no grapefruit or pine, although a Christmas tree might be there, despite those who want to end them, and there might, on second thought.. alright, there is a grapefruit rind, a bubble floating through the sky...
And there again, it's almost a salty bitterness, as we dream, but it's not a bad thing. it's a lovely thing, an intricate thing. This wild rice idea should catch on. An asian spice, perhaps, a grapefruit, a hint of soy sauce, even, but under all that a sweetgrass delicious IPA.
Light. Light and airy. A phenomenon of getting this much flavour squeezed into this light of a body. Clean. It's wonderful, it's one of a kind, and exceptional, as we drift through our own minds on this airy sunshine day in loverland...

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Fantastic beer. Poured a nice straw color with huge white head. A little bit cloudy probably since partly bottle conditioned. A hop bomb! Had this very fresh and the aroma and taste seemed to be all hops...very west coast like and needed here in the east. Lots of grapefruit, pine and some other citrus fruits. Bitter and dry enough to go along with the late hop additions but not make you pucker. Did not notice the higher alcohol content really and it was dangerously drinkable. Highly recommend picking this up. It will be loved by all hop heads who try it fresh and it won't last long. Get it while you can.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle (courtesy of Beerman777) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear, pale gold body beneath two fingers of fine white foam. Above-average retention and lace. Definitely on the lighter side of DIPAs, but I expected as much from one brewed with wild rice. Good looking beer.

S: Solidly hop-forward aroma is dominated by citrus and tropical fruit (mango and pineapple). The juicy hops are backed up by some dry, biscuity maltiness that really rounds things out. This is a great smelling beer, as I expected - I love citra!

T: Delicious explosion of fruity hops up front (more tropical fruits than citrus, with the citrus more in the orange than grapefruit mode), followed by some piney bitterness, a bit of malt sweetness, and a finish that mixes hop bite, light maltiness, and a hint of booze. Terrific.

M: Clean medium body with a generous, but not over the top, dose of very fine, velvety carbonation. Perfect.

D: Drinks more like 10% than 8.2%, but other than the heat it's a beautifully balanced and hugely flavorful brew.

Notes: I got a sip of this at a recent Captain Lawrence release, and it was definitely the standout IPA of the day. I'm glad to say that the potential of that small sample is realized in a whole bottle - this is quite simply an amazing example of my favorite style, and I'm loving every bit of it. Thanks for the bottle, Steve!

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Huge thanks to fbm115 for sending this gem my way in a recent trade...

Poured into a Duvel tulip...

This pours a surprisingly cloudy light golden with this big fluffy head on it.. it almost has a hefeweizen look to it. Very unusual looking for a DIPA but that's fine with me as it's nice for a change... Doesn't look too heavy... Laces well too.. Very nice..

Surprisingly pungent aromas of citrusy West Coast hops here catch me off guard... I really wasn't expecting the wave of hops rolling off of this one.. There's a nice light toasted maltiness to back it up as well, a bit earthy actually.. As this warms, the hops take over even more and this becomes rather one dimensional.. Just what I like in a DIPA.. Over the top and I'm loving it...

Man, this is a surprising brew... I'm guessing it's the rice that gives this one an almost pilsner-like quality but the rush of citrusy oily hops leave no doubt that this one is a hop bomb... There's a piney quality as well as some orange or pineapple and an earthy toasted maltiness that mixes terrifically... There's a bracingly bitter finish that seems to linger long after you think it should be gone and it's deceptive... It's a crazy good brew...

This is scary scary drinkable... It's so light and refreshing yet hoppy and delicious that I could easily find myself face down after a couple of bottles and paying for it in the AM. I detect no trace of booze here at all which makes it even more scary...

Awesome brew, Steve! Thanks for turning me on to a beer that I didn't even know existed. It's terrific...

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy, lighter golden color with a thin white heading. Left good lacing throughout the tasting. Not quite as frothy and thick as most IIPA's.

Smell as soon as the cap was popped I could smell the sweetness. After my first whiff out of my tulip a mango,and papaya aroma filled the nostrils. Quickly followed up by a sweet and toasty maltiness where it just touches down and is taken over by a Heavy citrus hop aroma. A subtle smokiness I believe is in there as well.

Taste is quite surprising after the initial rush of lighter,sweeter tropical fruits, a kind of dry and toasted taste fills the tastebuds only to make wave for a stinging citrusy hoppiness.

Mouth is lighter bodied which absolutely amazing being that this is 8.2%. Not heavy and syrupy like alot of the IIPA's. Very crisp and dry hoppy feeling is left in the mouth for a little bit.

Well I've had alot of IIPA's so far but this one stands out as one of my favorites. This is exceptionally done and so enjoyable. I hope Flying Fish keeps this on there permanent list.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml bottle shared by nickd717. Thank you, Nick. I had never heard of this beer before and had no expectations, so this was a very pleasant surprise. The beer is clear for the first glass, hazier toward the end of the bottle. The pale gold body is topped by a nice fluffy white head that retains well.

The aroma is bright and crisp with a big tropical fruit hop character. Pineapple, wildflowers, lemon, grapefruit, only a hint of malt. This smells outstanding.

Big citra hop flavor. Pineapple and lemon peel, a touch of sweet guava and white pepper. There's a faint maltiness, but this is largely dry and hoppy with a big juicy tropical fruit character. The finish is dry and crisp, only moderately bitter. This is apparently brewed with wild rice, but I didn't pick up on that at all. Perhaps it contributed to the pale golden color, light body and overall dryness, in which case I wish more breweries would make American adjunct double IPAs. This is a San Diego quality DIPA from New Jersey - awesome.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours a very light gold, just barely darker than a pilsner. Nice fluffy white head and a good ring of lacing as it goes down.

S: Tropical fruits--mango, pineapple, and apricot alongside a little bit of citrus. Not malt sweetness.

T: Similar to the nose, but the intensity is taken up a notch. The malt sweet is again decidedly lacking, making this very much West Coast in style.

M: Dry and crisp. The rice really does wonders for drying this one out in addition to the lack of any noticeable malt presence.

D: Very nice all around. At 8%, it's not too big, although not necessarily sessionable either. Very nice hop profile and the mouthfeel is fantastic. Very glad I got to pick up a few bottles of this, and another one in a slew of great East Coast IPA's that I've had lately.

Poured into a tulip.

Hazy pale gold with 3 fingers of white head. Good retention and lacing.

Papaya, pineapple, mango, lemon, pine and sugary caramel.

A blast of sugar coated tropical fruits. Papaya, mango and pineapple along with drops of lemon juice. Notes of sweet caramel and candy sugar. A good dose of Pilsner malt. Finishes with pine sap, a speckle of lemon zest and a slice of tangerine.

Medium-full bodied, smooth, juicy, oily and slightly dry.

Tons of tropical and citrus fruits doused in candy sugars. Bold and balanced. Very easy drinking. This has surpassed my expectations tremendously.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle thanks to mikey711. 750ml into Chouffe tulip.

Prelude: my only other rice beer that I'm aware of was good times- the Smuttynose short batch APA.

A- Pale as all hell, the palest DIPA I've ever seen. No doubt due to the rice. Great head, the beer leaves fire-extinguisher lace on the glass.

S- Hops- floral, mild grapefruit/tangerine, and a kiss of pine.

T- Follows the nose... hoppy, but impossibly light. Drinks like an APA with the flavor of a DIPA, quite a spectacular feat. Really digging this. Great hop flavors and no cloying malt sweetness to get in the way. All about the hops.

M- Amazing body- so light. Very hoppy. The rice takes the place of a heavier grain and works wonderfully.

D- High- one of the easiest drinking DIPAs I've seen. I am impressed.

4.49/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Exit 16 pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small lacing head. There is a pine like floral aroma, with hints of citrus. The taste has a very nice floral piney taste. Very nice full flavor, great dryness, also very drinkable, leaves a nice bitter pine flavor aftertaste. Overall bold hoppy flavors, but not a bomb, a full IPA with lots of flavors that is drinkable, very enjoyable.

Flying Fish- Exit 16

A- Bright yellow slightly hazy white with a good foamy frothy head. Decent ringed lacing.
S- Powerful citrus hops, oily pine, and tropical fruit.
T- Thick sweet buttery bready malt is quickly eclipsed by an even thicker citrus; grapefruit, apricot, and pineapple hop kick. Sticky oily fresh pine coats the mouth. Slight touch of tobacco and alc.
M- Very thick buttery sweet malt gives way to a punch of citrus and pine. Very West Coast with the bitter hops.

Overall- Good smooth DIPA. Another good NJ beer here to represent.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours hazed golden yellow with a fuffy head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of musty-ish (in a "good" way) hops - citrusy - grapfruity with tangerine, lemongrass, pine and mango.

The taste is also very hoppy - citrusy - same as in the nose - with peppery spicing. Hop bitterness comes out with a touch of tart and just a hint of pale malt sweetness in the back to make it from becoming overly puckering. Nice bite in the dry finish.

I almost want to say light-bodied, though it is not. Full-bodied but in a light way - with a bite? It is not thin or watery, but is smooth and very "drinkable" with alcohol very well-hidden, and a creamy body.

Normally, I don't want beer with rice adjuncts, but this shows how it could lend a lightness to add to "drinkability" while retaining aroma, flavor, and a "kick". This is a nice showcase of the hops, to say the least.

Five hops here, including Chinook and Citra, with pils and pale malts. Wild rice used with brown and white rice. Who knew that a beer brewed with rice would be this good?!

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear golden hue with a frothy, fizzy, white, 2-finger, white head that slowly dissipates down the side of the glass ending in a solid persistent lace.

S: Pleasant bitter aroma with a definite hoppy and tangerine aroma.

T: Clean and fresh bitter flavor with a fruity and hoppy middle and finishes on the dry side of bitter.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Awesome Double IPA. The rice addition brings out the hop flavor and aromas