1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company

Exit 16Exit 16

Flying Fish Brewing Company visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Although usually identified with landfills and pipelines, the Hackensack Meadowlands is an amazingly diverse ecosystem providing vital animal and plant habitat. In a nod to a once common food plant here, we’ve brewed this beer with wild rice. We also added organic brown and white rice, as well as pils and pale malts.

Rice helps the beer ferment dry to better showcase the five different hops we added. Lots and lots of them. We then dry-hopped this Double IPA with even more–generous additions of Chinook and Citra hops to create a nose that hints at tangerine, mango, papaya and pine. This beer pairs extremely well with spicy foods and all kinds of seafood. And of course, it’s quite enjoyable all by itself.

(Beer added by: donniecuffs on 03-10-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 518 | Reviews: 195 | Show All Ratings:
hawks10

4.13/5  rDev 0%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip...

Pours thin, but a nice hazy golden yellow color. Three fingers of pillowy soft white head erupts, looks like meringue...sticks around for a long time and clings to the side of the glass leaving some nice lacing...

An abundance of dry, earthy and piny hops fill the nose with a tiny bit of citrus mixed in...I feel the rice is doing something to add aroma to this beer, can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a distinct spice or bite in the aroma that I haven't noticed in other "normal" DIPA's...the malts are pretty subdued but do add a touch of sweetness, but overall this one is pretty piny and bitter, hop bomb all the way...

Taste really follows the nose...bitter and dry, piny and earthy. I find it rather sticky and resinous, a nice oily hop presence. The more I drink, the more I detect some tropical fruit hop flavors and almost a rye like spice as well (perhaps this is the wild rice?) The alcohol also starts to emerge as you drink, a nice slow burn accumulates on the lips and tongue...

Drinks much thicker than it looks, expected a light body but was met with a sticky and thick medium bodied brew...carbonation seems a little low giving this beer a slick finish in spite of the sticky and chewy initial mouthfeel...

I am liking this one from Flying Fish, my first beer from them and actually my first beer from the entire state of New Jersey. Definitely something I would give another try in the future...

05-21-2010 00:54:25 | More by hawks10
NittanyBeerFan

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a capped 750mL bottle into my long-stemmed tulip. The color is a pale straw infused with some amber hues, but overall, the rice base of this brew keeps it lighter in color than many other IPAs that use crystal and other barley malts. The head is somewhat disappointing, foaming up only to a 1/2 cm in height and then quickly dissipating, leaving nothing to produce lacing on the sides of my glass.

The aroma is interesting. The wild rice provides a spice that adds to the hop character, much like rye will do. The hop profile is dry and bitter, filled with pine, citrus, and stone fruit...mangoes and apricots mainly. The taste is more of the same. A nice grain profile doesn't bring on the thin adjunct-like flavor that often accompanies rice-based beers. The pine really comes through and begins to dominate, but the citric hops do come in late. I am a fan of the mango in the finish, likely a product of the new strain of citra hops that seems to really be catching on.

For such a lightly colored beer, I expected a thinner mouthfeel, but this was pretty close. Not as resinous and stick as I like my DIPAs in most cases, but it still gets the job done. This is one of the most off-the-beaten path DIPAs that I have ever had. The hop profile is really the highlight of this beer, despite the emphasis that the labeling puts on the wild rice. The wild rice really seems like a gimmick, but Flying Fish has done a great job of producing a hop-forward brew and well-balanced hop profile in a DIPA that is affordable and readily available.

05-20-2010 00:15:33 | More by NittanyBeerFan
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle (courtesy of Beerman777) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear, pale gold body beneath two fingers of fine white foam. Above-average retention and lace. Definitely on the lighter side of DIPAs, but I expected as much from one brewed with wild rice. Good looking beer.

S: Solidly hop-forward aroma is dominated by citrus and tropical fruit (mango and pineapple). The juicy hops are backed up by some dry, biscuity maltiness that really rounds things out. This is a great smelling beer, as I expected - I love citra!

T: Delicious explosion of fruity hops up front (more tropical fruits than citrus, with the citrus more in the orange than grapefruit mode), followed by some piney bitterness, a bit of malt sweetness, and a finish that mixes hop bite, light maltiness, and a hint of booze. Terrific.

M: Clean medium body with a generous, but not over the top, dose of very fine, velvety carbonation. Perfect.

D: Drinks more like 10% than 8.2%, but other than the heat it's a beautifully balanced and hugely flavorful brew.

Notes: I got a sip of this at a recent Captain Lawrence release, and it was definitely the standout IPA of the day. I'm glad to say that the potential of that small sample is realized in a whole bottle - this is quite simply an amazing example of my favorite style, and I'm loving every bit of it. Thanks for the bottle, Steve!

Cheers!

05-19-2010 01:26:50 | More by woosterbill
Mora2000

Thanks to swalden28 for sharing this bottle at a recent tasting.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is resiny hops and not too much else. The flavor is more of the same. This is definitely a DIPA with an emphasis on resiny hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-18-2010 05:41:35 | More by Mora2000
chefmikeanderson

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Slightly cloudy orange yellow. Nice white head that leavings splotches of laving.

Nice piney hops with some bitter fruits overwhelm my nose. Smells nice and clean though. I like it. no alcohol with slight amount of sweetness trying to show itself

This beer reminds me of Maharaja but just a touch drier and less big. That helps me explain and remember it. Lots of piney hops kill my tounge but the meyer lemon taste is trying to do some damage too. A hop bomb for sure it thats what i wanted

My mouth gets the hop dryness that is expected with just a little stickiness

I think this would be a little rough to be drank as a session beer but im not sure it was made for that reason.

to sum this beer up I don't know if its the rice that gives me the sense of a light lager or helles bock but it reminds me of one of those hugely hopped and thats in a good way

05-13-2010 04:23:29 | More by chefmikeanderson
Kadonny

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750 bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A cloudy medium golden color with a half finger white head. Not a lot of glass lacing is left after drinking.

S: Citrus bomb with notes of grapefruit, orange, mango with some sweet caramel malt.

T: Again huge amounts of citrus up front with grapefruit as the lead. I got flavors of orange, mango, lemon and a slight hint of pine and some earth through mid palate. I am also picking up a slight hint of scallion. The sweetness of caramel holds the beer together to allow the hops to finish out the beer. Not overly bitter on the finish as it's nice and smooth. Great beer, different.

M: Full, coating, smooth with some alcohol warming. A bit undercarbonated if you ask me.

D: Pretty good. Not a session by any means, but the larger bottle was very drinkable.

Overall another winner in the Exit Series. So far they are 3 for 4 in winners in this series and I look forward to the next one. Why FF makes outstanding beers in the Exit Series but can't translate that to their normal lineup is a bit puzzling. Great beer, I recommend.

05-10-2010 13:44:01 | More by Kadonny
jrallen34

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a cloudy light gold with good carbonation. At least three fingers of head good retention, ok retention.

The aroma is light nice hops slightly pine, easy to smell, but that's about all there, a slight bit of rice on the end.

The taste is ok, its really light, a little hops throughout but its not super smooth or totally appealing. I'd drink but probably not again. Nothing special here.

05-08-2010 01:50:51 | More by jrallen34
PittBeerGirl

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Michael for this in a trade!

A- Body is a translucent light orange hue-very foggy. The fogginess is dynamic as it whirls around the glass. Pours with a 1 finger foamy white head which has great retention at 1/2 finger. Lots of lacing all the way down the glass.

S-Huge grapefruit presence as well as other citrus fruit juice and a hint of earthy and grassy hops.

T- Taste upfront is pretty balanced with a good dose of grapefruit hoppy goodness and a nice, subtle pale rice background that compliments the hops well. The finish is pretty consistent with the initial flavor and a moderate strength, in-check hop bitterness lingers.

M-High carbonation and lightweight body-drinkable but somewhat thin.

D- This is a nice fruity citrus IPA. Its really good, really drinkable, and very well balanced. Its certainly no hop bomb but it is a different and interesting IPA in its own right. This is an awesome Jersey Beer!

05-07-2010 04:25:18 | More by PittBeerGirl
axeman9182

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Duvel tulip... Exit 16 pours a very nice looking tangerine color, with a lovely white cap forming and lingering before leaving plenty of lace behind. The nose can be summed up in two words, "citrus" and "delicious". The taste is more of the same, and they nailed the hop flavor/bitterness balance, but I find myself wishing it wasn't quite so dry, and that there was just a hint of malt presence. The lack of malt leads to a mouthfeel that's a little thin, and Exit 16 could stand to be a little bit more highly carbonated. This is a very good beer, and it's nice to see rice being used in a craft beer, but there are enough things just off to keep it from being one of my favorites.

05-07-2010 01:49:14 | More by axeman9182
cpetrone84

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

A-pours a hazy golden straw color with a white fluffy head. it has little retention and leaves almost no lace.

S-the nose is a little light for an imperial IPA. This has a nice caramel base to it with a touch of toasted bread. Piney hops come in at the back with a touch of herbal grassy hops.

T-the taste is quite balanced but definitely leans towards hops in the back. this is quite big, toasted bread and caramel with notes of brown sugar. piney hops come in next with notes of bitter grapefruit in the back. a nice light bittering hop presence at the finish.

M-this is a medium body that is smooth, creamy, and syrupy on the palate. a low level of carbonation holds throughout the drink and keeps a soft sturdy feel throughout the drink with a juicy finish

D-this is pretty tasty and balanced, it is very smooth and easy drinking. it hides the alcohol very well.

05-06-2010 01:07:05 | More by cpetrone84
ommegangpbr

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Quality beer CAN be made in Jersey!
I just had a bottle of Southern Tier's Hop Sun and this was probably the most perfect follow up beer.
On the pale side for an IPA. Foam is bright white and sticks to the glass.
Scent is, well, POW.
Bright and sharp with the hops. Dry hopped goodness all about.
Drinks very much like a doubled up version of Hop Sun. Very light in the body and on the palate. Lemony hop character with a crackery malt profile. Slight edges of sweetness but for the most part very dry.
Drinkability for days. This has lots of what I want in a hoppy beer. Perhaps a smidgen one dimensional; could stand a hint more depth in flavor or sweetness? but that's just nitpicking.
This makes me think that someone at Flying Fish was trying to re-create Pliny the Elder. It's the closest thing I can think to compare to that Pliny. I would be happy to conduct a taste test of this nature.

05-03-2010 07:19:20 | More by ommegangpbr
boatshoes

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Received this bottle as an extra from jkane101 in a recent trade. Thanks man!

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw golden that is on the lighter side of a DIPA out of the bottle with about a finger and a half of nice creamy white head. Active beading and mild lacing left as I drink.

Smell- Very fruity. It's interesting but the last two DIPA I've had I've been getting strong lemon citrus notes, which I hadn't really noticed before in many DIPA I've had. This one's included though, get a lot of lemon and grapefruit out of the nose along with a little bit of pine needles.

Taste- Again, starts of with very fruity, lemony and grapefruit oriented hops. A pretty strong dose of piney resins follows that up. Finishes off with a slightly interesting spiciness and a nice drying bitterness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is nice and substantial with good levels of carbonation to keep the beer moving. Drinkability is decent as well, though the beer sweetened up fairly substantially as it warmed I felt.

Overall, very solid DIPA. Wouldn't go a long ways out of my way to get it again but definitely worth a shot if you've got it in your area.

05-02-2010 21:06:21 | More by boatshoes
meatyard

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a hazy, yellow/orange with good carbonation streams. The whitish head is short but dense with fair retention and light lacing.
Mostly I get mango & pineapple in the smell along with a fruity sweetness. Reminds me a bit of the mango syrup in cans that we bought & drank on the beach in Negril, Jamaica many years ago.
The taste is quite different than the aroma. I wish the taste held on to the smell more but here I get a lot milder version of the mango & pineapple and it's not sweet at all. I suppose the taste that comes through is the rice and there is a dry bitterness throughout.
Mouthfeel is thin, leaning to medium and dry.
Drinkability is pretty good. the aromas are nice, alcohol is hidden and the taste is interesting, almost unique. The only thing that didn't suit me was the particular bitterness in this beer.

04-30-2010 22:14:18 | More by meatyard
GeoffFromSJ

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Ok, to be upfront, this style bores me. Wow, you shoved a lots of hops into a beer. However, this rendition is more interesting.

The hops aren't super-overwhelming. Nice pine flavors, but there are good fruit flavors as well. The bottle mentions hints of papaya, tangerine, and mango. Sure. Why not? Something like that is going on with the pine tastes.

Where this beer really shines is when it gets warm. The mouthfeel becomes incredibly light and smooth.

My wife had three of these and she's not a huge double-IPA person. So it must be pretty drinkable.

04-28-2010 17:56:40 | More by GeoffFromSJ
Imsothirsty

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from 750 into a wine glass. Faint orange yellow, just a little hazy, very bubbly. Leaves a 1 finger head that fades quickly.

Nose is nice and hop forward, definitely citrus and pine, and just a little floral, I could sniff it all day.

Taste follows the nose citrus fruity and crisp pine flavors. If they didn't tell me it was there I wouldn't have noticed but, one can detect just a little brown rice flavor. I barely noticed it though.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp, medium high carbonation, very bubbly, medium-light body.

A very drinkable IPA, I hope they continue to bottle this as a regular, it reminds me a lot of 90 minute, and I would consider this a strong competitor.

04-27-2010 23:51:59 | More by Imsothirsty
glid02

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle via trade with Lunch - thanks!

Pours a hazy golden color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of pale malts with good amounts of rice aromas that are best described as slightly tart with hints of lemon peel. Also present are good amounts of bright citrus hop aromas with smaller amounts of tropical fruit hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells, although the hops aren't quite as robust. Crisp pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined by wild rice flavors shortly thereafter. Solid amounts of hop flavors enter into things midway through the sip, mostly citrus but with hints of herbal and tropical fruit flavors as well. The hops carry through to a mildly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have a few more without any problems.

Overall I was expecting more a hop bomb when I saw the light color but the rice has more influence than I'd expected. An interesting beer that was impressive, worth a shot.

04-25-2010 23:54:22 | More by glid02
Chico1985

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

750ml. Notes from a tasting. Pours a hazy light orange, quite a bit of sediment. Bubbly white head is reduced to a cap & ring. Some weirdness in the smell at first, maybe it's the rice, hops detectable along with some citrus and other fruit later on. A little bit earthy also. The rice for me was very up front and apparent, definite brown rice taste. It works well though, I've never encountered this in a beer before. Fresh citrus and fruit too, especially in the aftertaste. Biscuity. Booze is very well-hidden. The mouthfeel has a decent creaminess to it, good carbonation. Very easy to drink. Didn't blow me away at all but this was an interesting and solid brew from a brewery I've never heard of. I would try more of their beers.

04-25-2010 06:10:17 | More by Chico1985
cbutova

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Beer number two of last night's tasting, reviewed from notes. Pours out a hazy light golden yellow with a one finger white head that has good retention. Starts to leave lace once the head starts to die down and ends up being a good thick cloud on top of the beer. The head is bubbly but does not fizz away quickly. The color and the haze don't look amazing but that is expected in a bottle conditioned rice beer. Smell is good. Fruit (tangerine, orange, mango, apple) come in big from hops and are balanced straight away with literal smell of rice. Light malts are in the very background and make for an interesting nose. The nose is of good strength and the rice certainly is pretty cool to experience. Taste has a lot of rice and a lot of hops. Hops leave a medium, good level of bitterness for the style. It becomes fairly malty tasting with earthy and grassy hop notes. The fruity aspects aren't as present in the taste but a bit do come through. The after taste actually has a fair amount of citrus and even some light cocoa flavor. Mouthfeel seems a tiny bit watery but with nice low-medium carbonation level. There is a little warmth but the alcohol is hidden well. A tiny bit more creaminess would be nice. Drinkability is good. The price was good for a big bottle of tasty beer. The ABV is pretty much nonexistant and the rice made for a really interesting ale.

04-24-2010 19:58:49 | More by cbutova
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Proudly brewed in Joysey, you say?
A flame, a yellow flame, a dance, a lovely dance, we whistle, we float. A beautiful yellow flame, a white sheet floating through the air, like so much wax, so much anthrax on the table. A cloud, a yellow cloud, and a beautiful sheet, a lace, a sensuous, sexual drifting through the air...
And the wild, the wild rice, a spice, a spicey wild rice, even a seasoned salt, a well seasoned grass, a bitterness like no other, like no grapefruit or pine, although a Christmas tree might be there, despite those who want to end them, and there might, on second thought.. alright, there is a grapefruit rind, a bubble floating through the sky...
And there again, it's almost a salty bitterness, as we dream, but it's not a bad thing. it's a lovely thing, an intricate thing. This wild rice idea should catch on. An asian spice, perhaps, a grapefruit, a hint of soy sauce, even, but under all that a sweetgrass delicious IPA.
Light. Light and airy. A phenomenon of getting this much flavour squeezed into this light of a body. Clean. It's wonderful, it's one of a kind, and exceptional, as we drift through our own minds on this airy sunshine day in loverland...

04-24-2010 04:14:25 | More by khiasmus
rhinos00

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Paul for sending this east coast local my way. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy, pale gold. Produced two fingers width of white, foamy head. Left soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- An overwhelming combination of mangos, papaya, and pineapples. Nice, sweet aroma. Little bit of pine freshness in the background. Pleasantly surprised here.

T- Upfront mangos and papaya burst on the palate. Sets the tone for the beer and lasts all the way to the finish. Midway through a malt, tropical fruit sweetness adds another layer of complexity. The finish has a slight hint of bitterness to it.

M- Medium bodied with a slight crispness. Good amount of carbonation.

D- Very drinkable considering the high abv. Polished off the bottle with ease.

Overall, this quite the surprise. If you have the opportunity I would suggest trying this one.

04-21-2010 21:01:24 | More by rhinos00
womencantsail

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to Steve for sending this one my way. Shared in line at the Veritas release.

A: The pour is a pale golden color with a light haze and a very fluffy white head on top.

S: A very intense citrus aroma which is primarily grapefruit, along with a touch of tropical fruits such as pineapple. A light sweetness and perhaps a bit of pine.

T: I was a bit disappointed that the flavors did not quite live up to the nose, but the components were quite similar. The bitterness was more pronounced than I would expect with the pine and grapefruit being the primary hop contributions.

M: Fairly light in body, which is likely due to the rice used in the brewing of the beer. A nice crisp and moderate level of carbonation.

D: A really nice IPA from the side of the country that I generally shy away from in regards to the style. A really excellent nose and a nice beer to try.

04-20-2010 00:08:24 | More by womencantsail
aerozeppl

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The first thing that strikes you about this beer in the color. Very bright golden color. Not the copper color you would expect from a DIPA. Quite a bit of visible carbonation clinging to the side of the glass.

S: Citra hops right up front. Smells quite a bit like torpedo but that beer was my introduction and most peoples to this hop variety. Lots of tropical fruit with a little bit of pineapple and mango. I really do not get any piny resiny smell out of this one.

T: Really nice balanced beer. Tons of hops. Enough malt to keep them honest though. You really do not get any rice in terms of the flavor but dryness is part of the taste.

M: Medium bodied. A little bit sticky and well carbonated. A little bit too much carbonation but bottle conditioning is a tricky animal.

D: I really enjoyed this beer quite a bit. A totally different take on a DIPA. I am partial to citra hops so that did help quite a bit. For the price this is a great deal and if I could buy it locally I would.

04-19-2010 22:03:03 | More by aerozeppl
bbeane

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... starts with a nice white head, about a finger thick, that disappears leaving a tiny bit of spotted lacing. Beer is a gold in color with very little activity and lots of sediment

S- First nose is that of hops, grapefruit, and lemon... after a few swirls of the snifter theres more of an orangy citrus and hop aroma

T- Has a great taste, though its not a 'rip your tongue out of your mouth' hop flavor as I had hoped for. Finishes with a hint of sweet malt

M- Light/medium body and light carbonation... leaves some light hop flavor lingering

D- A tasty beverage for sure... has just the right amount of hop flavor that I could enjoy all day long, though I think the abv is a bit high to be considered sessionable

CHEERS!!

04-19-2010 01:30:29 | More by bbeane
IronLover

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Hazy, deep yellow color. Decent head with light lacings on the glass. Very full floral aroma that invites the first sip. An explosion of floral flavors that's followed by enormous hop character. Too many hop flavors to identify. Hop flavor tapers into an intense fruity finish. I would never have said papaya, but I was certainly influenced by its mention on the bottle, it is most certianly the flavor you are left with. Who eats papayas anyway? Nice full body with pleasant carbonation level. Very drinkable. Except for the alcohol content would keep me from drinking too many of these at one sitting.

04-18-2010 22:12:08 | More by IronLover
weeare138

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to liquidarrogance for sharing this!
Appears a hazy light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a fizzy cap and soapy collar. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of herbal skunkweed, resin, and tons of citrus.
Taste is of the aromas with a grapefruit and tangerine flavor dosed with herbs.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, creamy, and fresh!

04-18-2010 00:01:13 | More by weeare138