Double Battle Axe IPA - Kelsen Brewing Company

Double Battle Axe IPADouble Battle Axe IPA

Kelsen Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: johnnnniee on 06-17-2014

This beer uses a “damn the cost” approach to recipe design. We use over 6 lbs of hops per BBL with a majority of those hops being used in late whirlpool additions and dry hopping. Following our steadfast commitment to drinkability in our beers, the abundance of hops produces a significant citrusy aroma and creates a unique “hop nectar” flavor that will surely satisfy the Imperial IPA aficionado. This beer also has a very light, dry malt profile that allows the intense hop flavors to explode from the glass.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Battle Axe IPA Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vegtal, Toffee, Herbal, Yeast

Three sips in and we are still waiting for this beer to pop, the alcohol is there and noticeable but the hop character sort of falters. Big toffee sweetness battles it out with the wavering hop bitterness and flavor, the hops do come out ahead but not by much. Even the color is not what we had expected, darker than we wanted to see ... perhaps this one should have simply been dubbed an American Strong Ale. Aside from all of this, decent drinking with this one.

STYLE: Double IPA | ABV: 9.0% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #95 (DEC 2014) (609 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -33.8%

Smell is muted a lot by the large malt presence. Color is fairly dark, not my preference in a dipa. Beer seems overly bitter, followed by mostly malt a slight pine hop flavor. Some band aid off flavor as well. I wouldn't buy this again. Save your money. (254 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dank.

I think that Kelsen has brewed this beer four times, and I've had a few from each batch. I've watched the evolution and I have to say this most recent batch is outstanding. It's great watching a small brewery hone in on the flavor profile they're looking for - and for me it's what craft beer is all about.

This beer is not a citra/Simcoe citrus bomb- which for me, is what makes it stand out. It's got hints of citrus and some bright flavors, but it's dank, subtle fruit and pretty damn drinkable at 9%. Like all their beers, it's got a nice head when poured which allows the aromas to pop all around you. I'm big into lacing - signs of a clean glass, beer lines and a well-crafted beer. This DIPA delivers.

In a world of citrus bombs, this beer is a welcome addition to the community. (800 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 12 oz tulip glass, not sure when it was bottled. Pours a dark yellow, with a two inch fluffy white head that leaves behind loads of lace.

Smell is lots of mango, lemon, grapefruit, biscuit, and hard candy, but something is a little off.

Taste is very aggressive grapefruit rind and lemon, wow this is really bitter on the tongue, in a good way I think. Way more bitter than the nose would have you expect.

Body is medium large, plenty of life, a touch dry, and drinks easy enough considering it's bitterness and full body.

This is a very aggressive, bitter, and one dimensional DIPA, not saying it is bad. (623 characters)

Huge bitterness aroma and flavor. I had it extremely fresh and it is incredible. I think maybe the guy who rated it low got an old bottle from the sound of his description. (173 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -51.3%

L: not a color I like to see in my IPAs (of any variety). If I threw a couple ice cubes in it it would pass for iced tea. S: syrupy sweet cleaning fluid. T: way too sweet for me, caramel sugar sweet, like a Werther's Original dipped in butter. MF: this was quite decent actually. O: had high hopes after reading other reviews but I honestly am not sure what beer you had. Battle Axe was good but I regret to say DBA was a drain pour. (440 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is their recent batch Jan 2015 approx? This one is excellent compared to their first release. This is another go to double. Very rich all around. (150 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a five-finger+ cream head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Serious pine hop nose and flavor is pine hops with caramel balancing the 80 IBUs. The higher ABV, 9.0%, is hidden. Decent DIPA. Not cheap at $9.95 for a 22oz bottle from Bert's Better Beers Hooksett, NH. (326 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: A deep copper/rust color, hazy with fine suspended particles. A quarter-finger of head after a fairly aggressive pour. Minimal lacing.

S: Pine, resin with hints of citrus. Also, some very sweet caramel maltiness with notes of brown sugar rounding out a solid aroma.

T: A bit subdued compared to the aroma. Sweet up front with a resinous finish, maybe a bit of the citrus popping through mid-palate. Lingering, bitter aftertaste.

M: Syrupy and sticky with low carbonation.

O: I think I was expecting much more from this given its Bronze Medal in the US Open Beer Championship. Aroma was on point, but I found the appearance, taste and especially the mouthfeel to be lacking.

Serving type: bottle (702 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From the 650 ml. bottle released in June 2014. Sampled on July 5, 2014 less than a week after this won Bronze at the US Open Beer Championship in the DIPA category.

A slightly cloudy olive-amber pour with a tremendous cream colored head that sticks around.

The aroma is a lovely mantra of earth, floral, pear, apple, citrus, and toasted caramel malts that blend together and invite me in. For 9%, no booze.

The body is medium to full but it also has a honey-like slick texture.

Taste: A quick hello from the toasted caramel malts suddenly make way for the earthy, grassy, floral, and citrus hops. Moderately dry at the end. The judges weren't wrong about this one. (668 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%

Just released Double Battle Axe IPA from mis amigos at Kelsen. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a glass.

A- Amber, not much of a head (but then again, I pour very differently).

S- So good I had my teetotaler wife take a whiff and even she loved it. Hops, citrusy ones galore. Hints of floral linger in the nasal passages.

T- Not as good as the aroma hints at, but still delicious. Sweet and hoppy to start with a deep lasting finish of dark chocolate, pine, and spice. Sampled some at the brewery itself and could taste that rich chocolate all the way home. Definitely a challenging yet satisfying and deep brew that hides its 9.0 ABV well.

M- Nice in the mouth, but it has a syrupy feel afterwards from a lack of carbonation. A little more crispness would make this a better brew.

O- Love IPA's and DIPA's and this one is a nice entry into my repertoire. Nice and hoppy with good citrus and spice notes and a dark chocolate finish that really surprised me. Nice job Kelsen!!! (984 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Cask and Vine
Slightly hazy medium golden color with a smallish off white head. Aromas of resin and pine in spades! Dank resinous hop aroma with plenty of caramel and sugary maltiness to back it up. The flavor as the aroma suggests is rather sugary sweet, but there is plenty of citrus pine and resinous hop flavor to counter that. Medium to thick body with a moderate level of carbonation. I really enjoyed the aroma on this one, but I felt the mouthfeel was a bit too syrupy sweet for my tastes. If I were the brewer I would add a bit of sugar to this to help dry it out a little as its pretty damn tasty otherwise. (627 characters)

Double Battle Axe IPA from Kelsen Brewing Company