Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Columbus Scottish Ale | Columbus Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Columbus Scottish AleColumbus Scottish Ale

Columbus Brewing Company
Ohio, United States | website

Style: Scottish Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by wingman14 on 08-12-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 53 | Ratings: 72
3.63/5  rDev +2%

Split a 12 oz bottle with my brothers as part of a home CBC beer tasting. No freshness date on the bottle. Poured a clear, dark caramel color. Very small head in the glass. Smells mostly of toasted malt. Pretty good for a Scottish ale. Taste focuses on the barley, too. Blooms late in the tasting. Medium creaminess; again good for a Scottish ale. Very easily drinkable. Not the most complex character for a Scottish ale, but a good example nonetheless

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. There is some code on the bottom of the nottom, but I am not sure how to read it. I got this 6 pack from a Kroger, so I am betting it is pretty fresh. The crown cap on this one is a plain cap, no logo. I like that. I don't know why, it just seems that I can picture someone like me making this in their kitchen and slapping a label on it.

Appearance: A nice, clear mahogany color. Initially has a half inch head, but that falls pretty quickly to just some spotting on top of the brew. There is a steady stream of bubbles coming up.

Smell: Caramel and malt. Not a real strong smell.

Taste: No one flavor sticks out, You can taste the maltiness and pick up flavors of caramel, but nothing comes to the front. The finish is a little hint of hops and some residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Decnt body, not as much as I expected from this style. Carbonation could be toned down a bit.

Drinkability: Despite some characteristics of th style that I think are missing, I think this is a very drinkable brew.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a dark rich redish brown with a tan head. Smell is mostly malt with burnt characters. A very strong and inviting smell. The taste is the most roasted flavor I have found, very deep and rich, extremely malty, a great brew. Not as sweet as other scottish ales I have had, but the flavor is very strong leaving a long burnt and slightly bitter aftertaste. A decent mouthfeel, not a whole lot of carbonation, could use a little more bite. I really enjoyed this beer, it is packed full of as much flavor as they could jam into this brew, a great scottish ale. Check this out if you are in Ohio.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last