Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe
Reviews: 345 | Hads: 1,168
Reviews by AleWatcher:
4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this growler from Mpbugeye in the Blind Beers 3 BIF.
Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewery, style, or beer...

Ok... So after struggling for 10 minutes with the excessive amount of duct tape, I finally got the growler open..,
Says pour I into a pint or a tulip... Glassware hint doesn't really help me...

So I cracked the growler open and poured into my Duvel tulip... And a glass for my wife into a pint glass. Hers looks better.

This has to be a big old monster of a DIPA. I like it. I like it a lot.

A strong rocky cap of foam leaves dry sticky veins of lacing-- like intricate webs-- down the side of the pint glass. Retention is quite strong. This is a glowing golden-orange color... Very lively and energized.

Nose is in-your-face grapefruit. Huge bomb of citrus hops. A little orange and tangerine hides beneath the grapefruit. Very little malt... But there is some sweetness still. That sweetness is dried up by the finish, which is clean and crisp.

I feel like I've had this before... This is damn tasty. Reminds me a bit of some of the Alpine IPAs I've had before. The body is light, well-carbonated, and prickly as hell. A good oily residue left behind coats my teeth-- nice.

This is VERY easy to put down. I will be pouring a 2nd glass right now.

So what is this one Seth?
Assuming it's a DIPA: (after finding out it is a regular, these numbers got a bump up)
A- 4
S- 4
T- 4.5
M- 4.5
D- 5

And I ripped the paper open-- it's a Columbus Brewing Co growler... Seth has replied that it is in fact Columbus IPA.

Wow. This is killer. So damn flavorful. I would put this right up there with my top IPAs-- Jai Alai, Just Outstanding, and other world class IPAs.

Just a terrific beer-- better from the growler than the bottle, but even the bottle was pretty good.

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%

A: cloudy gold ale, a couple of fingers of foam - some lace trailing down the glass...

S: flower and pine, biscuit and bread; something grassy and reminiscent of fields

T: bready biscuit and pale malt, lots of floral hop action; suggestions of fresh grains and juicy flowers; pine assertiveness rising throughout the drink

M: light-medium, medium carbonation, mild bitterness up front builds up over time

O: a real nice IPA, plenty of hops, nice wholesome unfiltered stuff; ample grain to balance the hops

My new go to ipa

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%

I have had this beer so many times and find it to be outstanding. Tonight I waited at a restaurant while they tapped a new keg and it was the best I ever had. A pint with about a two finger head which is unusual probably indicating how fresh it was. Aroma is citrus and pine. Taste is mango, tangerine and pineapple. Mouth feel and body on tap is so creamy more so than the bottle.
My favorite go to never disappoints.

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to cneville for this nice, local extra. Pours and orange sunburst color - completely unfiltered and opaque - with a super heavy and foamy off-white head. Even minutes later, a huge chunk of foam is just chilling on top of the beer. Nice lacing all the way down, too.

Aroma starts off with a quick left jab of citrus fruits - and it's almost more of a fruit-juice type aroma rather than the hoppy-citrus aroma. Red grapefruit is big, along with mild pineapple and mango. The fruits are heavy, juicy, and sweet on the nostrils. Light yeast aromas float around as well. The hops give off a bit of an earthy and leafy aroma, but it's far more regressed than I would have expected - not necessarily a bad thing, though.

I take my first swig of Columbus IPA and it feels like I just took a bite out of an extremely ripe, tropical fruit. Big-time juiciness, mainly in the form of grapefruit. Other tropical fruits are surely there, though a bit harder to pick out. I'll go with my hunch from the aroma - pineapples and mangoes. Just as I start to wonder if I'm drinking a juice instead of a beer - the bitterness shows up to the party, about halfway through. The hop profile is leafy and a touch ashy, and the bitterness is pretty damn strong. It hits hard on the back of the tongue and overall, feels heavier than 50 IBU.

There's a nice contrast with this beer - it has the delicate juicy sweetness that seems to crowd the front of your mouth that coincides with the leafy hop bitterness that stings that back of the mouth and tongue. A very interesting profile, that's for sure. The aftertaste errs more towards the bitter side, with the fruit flavors even developing into more of a pith-like stature, bitter and mildly abrasive. Malt is mild overall, with a hint of sweetness through and through. Your mouth gets coated with some yeasty flavors and faint caramel malt in the end, still battling the bitterness wounds. Surprisingly thin and under-carbonated, giving a wet, slick mouth feel.

Didn't know what to expect out of this, hasn't really been on my radar. But it was pretty tasty. Huge tropical fruitiness that comes paired with a heavy bitterness that work quite well together. Good drinkability at 6.5% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy orange tinted brown with at least two fingers of light tan head. Head has very good retention and leaves quite a trail of lacing behind.

S - Nice amount of pine hops coupled with citrus and a bit of grass. The hop presence is really excellent. Also pick up a faint amount of malt.

T - Similar to smell. A great hop profile that is predominantly pine, but rounded out wit a nice amount of citrus. Some malt comes in near the end, along with a touch of tea. Finish is a nice bite of pine hop bitterness.

M - medium/light mouhfeel that is somewhat resinous.

O - Really a fantastic IPA. Nice hop profile with just a small malt presence. Finishes clean and bitter. I will definitely pick this up whenever I am in Columbus.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy murky yellow color with a white head. The aroma is exactly what I expect from an American IPA. I get a lot of pine and orange notes with a little bit of bready malt.

The flavor is more of the same. I get some pine and papaya, as well as some bread and biscuit malt. There is a lot of hop flavor but the bitterness is fairly low for this style of beer.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Probably my favorite ipa. Supreme drinkability. Almost perfect hop flavors and aromas. Price point can't be beat. I'm not sure i can praise this beer much more. Seriously. If u live in ohio, or anywhere this beer is available and haven't tried it, you are really missing out.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin off white head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Strong citrus and hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of strong bitter hops, citrus, and pine notes.

Overall: Outstanding IPA! I would have this on again.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into my Portsmouth Brewing tulip.

Pours a clear, glowing light orange with a ½ inch head with good retention that eventually dissapates to a nice film with with the head holding onto the sides, leaves minimal tiny dots of lacing.
Strong and incrediblely inviting fruit and floral aroma, definitely lemon stands out. Smells fresh and sweet.
Sweet malt taste at first that is shortly dominated by grapefruit and pine, bready in the middle. Light pine and resin finish for a nice bitter bite in the end, but light metallic aftertaste.
Medium body & carbonation.
Top notch IPA, very easy to drink.

Absolutely impressed with this IPA. Very grateful InebriatedJoker sent me a 6-er of this so I can share and savor it. Keeping on my wants indefinitely.

Columbus IPA from Columbus Brewing Company