1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 825 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
MCfunkyJ

Brewed in my hometown Columbus, Ohio but not being bias when I say this is my favorite IPA.

Those who give this a low rating shouldn't be rating beer at all.

Pours: gold/orange with a nice thick head that diminishes and good carbonation

Aroma: sweet fruit & hoppy smell

Taste: citrus, bursting taste of different types of Hops

Mouthfeel: medium, sweet, excellent carbonation as you can see if you pour into a glass

Drinkability: the aftertaste leaves you wanting more. I am smuggling some home to Cali

Serving type: 12oz bottle

01-22-2009 07:57:54 | More by MCfunkyJ
OhioHopDevil

Purchased at Ernie's Carryout on Broadway in Grove City, Ohio.

Music for this review is "Grey Cell Green" by Ned's Atomic Dustbin. They had two bass players.

This unfiltered and unpasteurized local beer is one of my all-time favorites, and is my "go to" IPA.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: A two-finger persistent foamy head, off-white in color. The beer is hazy, and leaning towards burnt orange. Looks like a sunset over the Mekong River in 'Nam. (Not that I served in Vietnam, but I have seen "Apocalypse Now" about a dozen times).

S: Big, strong aroma of sweet citrus fruit(s). I really don't get any malt, perhaps a hint of caramel. Smells amazing. The fact that this ale is brewed locally and (almost) always home-brew fresh makes the aroma all that much stronger.

T: Fresh hop bitterness is what hits you first, then the malt (which was non-existent in the nose) kicks in nicely in the middle. This is one fruity IPA. Some pine notes are present. I pick up some fruit that I can't quite put my finger on. Tangerine? Orange? Delicious. I do get some grapefruit at the finish.

M: Creamy.

D: Very high. This is the perfect session IPA. It goes down so easy and smooth. The bottle lists itself at just 5% ABV, which is different than the 6.5% listed here at BA. Weird.

This is a truly great IPA from Columbus Brewing very worthy of it's "A" review status. I am not sure of the distribution outside Ohio, but if you love you some IPAs and you happen to see it, get it. You won't be disappointed.

01-14-2010 21:27:08 | More by OhioHopDevil
btorsdog

I had this as a follow up brew after drinking an Avery Maharaja and I was just waiting to be dissapointed...WELL HELLO !!!! this bad boy had all the right things happening, what a pleasant suprise! Looked absolutely amazing in the provided
"Columbus Brewing" pint glass.
Smelled actually more assertive than the Maharaja,lots of fruitiness.
Tasted like an IPA should with an agressive hops blast and lots of complex fruitiness happening throughout.
Mouthfeel and drinkability were absolutely top shelf, wish this was available in my town but for right now looks like I'll have to make the 100 mile + trip to get this one, definetly worth it though!!!!

04-26-2010 00:10:02 | More by btorsdog
Fezfreak

You've seen my score. What else can I possibly say about Columbus IPA? If you read my profile you'll discover that CIPA is my favorite.

Pours a burnt orange color with ample 1-inch head that laces right down the glass to the bottom.

I just love the hop combinations used to achieve the wonderful grapefruit and otherwise citrusy aroma which balances in nicely with the flavor.

The taste, as it should be, is a full extension of the smell. Undeniably delicious and refreshing.

I've seen various ABV listings for this brand ranging from 5% to 6.5%. Either way, it makes an excellent session beer, and a perfect refresher on hot days or even when you're just plain thirsty.

I have tasted every IPA I have come across. Some are better than others. And though most draft versions are better than their bottled counterparts, I still cannot find one better than Columbus IPA.

Before you say I'm biased, please understand that although I do live in Columbus and find it to be an enjoyable place to make my home, I have absolutely no allegiance to the capitol city. In fact, let's just say that my career would be better served by me living in Nashville.

A great beer to pair with almost any food

STRONGLY recommended!

05-26-2010 16:27:18 | More by Fezfreak
LiquidCucumber

A - A deep cloudy orange that borders on amber. Pours with a finger high head and moderate effervescence.

S - The hops dominate with grapefruit and mango, a subtle touch of malt.

T - Tropical fruits through and through, mainly grapefruit but also mango and pineapple with a resiny aftertaste. There is a definite malt backbone. Nice balance.

M - The hop bitterness lingers with a pleasant tingle on the tongue, leaves a caramel flavor on the back end.

D - My all-time favorite BEER. I love the outstanding sweetness and tropical fruit smorgasbord this brew provides.

08-04-2010 05:37:06 | More by LiquidCucumber
mjw1200

Lots of pine and citrus flavors. Huge hop flavor. Lighter in color than many IPAs of this quality. The smell hits you, you know that you are getting into a wonderfully hoppy ipa as soon as it hits your nose. Had a couple of these and brought a growler home. Excellent beer. If you haven't found it, go after it.

08-14-2011 03:49:11 | More by mjw1200
Spider889

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Seth, you'll be happy I am finally getting a review of this up.

Had this on tap at Winking Lizard (I am pretty happy that they're finally carrying CBC now). Review from notes.

My beer arrived in a pint glass with one finger of dense fluffy foam that looked nearly impenetrable. It reminded me of the foam you see floating at the bottom of a large waterfall; or like an ice berg. Left an awesome lace blanket on my glass - laceterpiece anyone? :-)

The beer is nearly crystal clear and a light orange color that screamed sunshine - making me long for warmer days.

Smells very resinous and of bitter white grapefruit. There's mild tangerine notes as well.

Tastes as if biting into citrus fruit after recently brushing your teeth. Very bitter and dry with more pine and some lemon zest.

Medium bodied with relatively light carbonation.

Certainly a very solid brew. Something Columbus should be proud of. I can honestly say that the last time I had this in a bottle I liked it much more. Perhaps this keg wasn't so fresh - though I had it the second week of January (and this was the first month that Winking Lizard began carrying CBC), so I am not certain what the difference is. At some point I will get a glass of this at the source, and revisit this review. In the mean time, I plan on getting a bottle review done soon too.
___

Revist:
I had this on tap at the brewery recently, and it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it. I honestly don't think Winking Lizard had old IPA, I think there is just a reasonable amount of batch variation here. That said, I want to rate this beer as for what it is intended (and usually is).

The main improvement is the hop profile, which lends a TON of pineapple aroma and citrus flavor. At its freshest and flavorful peak, I could drink this all night long happily.

01-23-2011 21:19:35 | More by Spider889
Zormac

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle poured in to great lakes brewing co pint glass about half inch head relatively clear brassy golden color aroma was as expected of an IPA citrusy and bright taste was full and refreshing with a slightly oily finish over all this is a great IPA I would buy this buy the case for sure

09-03-2013 00:49:55 | More by Zormac
ErikSkidmore

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

I poured this bottle into a standard pint glass. Very delicious IPA.

A: Very bright orange, hazy with about a finger of off-white head.
S: Citrus and grapefruit first then you get hit with pine, followed by the backbone of the malt.
T: More pine than fruit, but the fruit is definitely there. Bitter but not overdone, just perfect for this beer.
M: Medium-bodied, but on the lower side. Definitely very sessionable and goes down very easily.
O: Very, very solid IPA, one of the best I have had so far. Definitely worth the money, the only downfall and reason my overall rating is not a 5 is simply because there is no date on the bottle.

09-08-2012 06:00:06 | More by ErikSkidmore
2Stout4u

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

O..H..I..O!!! This is the best Ohio has to offer, and it kicks ass. This has to be the most balanced, most aromatic IPA on site. The smell is enough to make you fall in love, as a matter of fact it's so floral give a sixer to the wife for valentines!! Rumer has it that CBC is going regional, so for those of you have not been lucky enough to have this on store shelves there is hope for you.

08-11-2009 01:59:13 | More by 2Stout4u
Bonis

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

A - A murky golden orange color without a lot of bubbles, but a beautiful two finger foamy white head. Definitely unfiltered. This one leaves a lacing like no other beer I've seen.

S - Strong notes of citrus hops dominate this one, very fruity with a faint faint touch of pine. A sweet maltiness is also apparent.

T - Wow, this tastes like grapefruit, only 20 times better. Fruity, citrusy, sweet, and slightly bitter. The sweet malts come through on the back end of this one. Not much alcohol apparent. A finely balanced beer and one of the most delicious I've tasted.

M - It feels a little more carbonated than I suspected, but as smooth as I've ever tasted. Goes down easy and not as big as some IPAs. This is very nice.

D - I feel sorry for the IPA lovers that haven't had a chance to try this one. This is a beer you can ride on all night and never get tired of it. An easy drink and extremely refreshing at that.

08-21-2010 03:29:46 | More by Bonis
orourkebr

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

This is such a fantastic IPA. I pushes the limits of a IPA and almost reaches the IIPA level, but holds back just enough.

It pours gorgeously dark/burnt orange and a little brown tint in there with a lovely off white head.

Aroma is an extremely pleasant citrus and grapefruit, with just a little malt to back it up.

Taste is what I want from an American IPA. Citrusy hops with a nice caramel malt flavor to support it.

I can drink this beer everyday and would put it up against any other American IPA.

06-19-2011 01:07:00 | More by orourkebr
livewire78

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Huge thanks to Ryan011235 for this. You kick ass!

Pours a beautiful transluscent sunset amber color. Perfect looking head with plenty of wispy lacing.

Smells of a nice mix of citrus and pine. Each is just as important as the other and neither is out of porportion. Not so intense as to smell from the other room but plenty of aroma here.

Tastes amazing! Perfect mix of citrusy grapefruit, orange peel, and is that tangerine? Pine is in a small amount but I am picking up a definite pine taste. (Caramel malt?) is sort of interwoven into the flavors and doesn't carry the hops but rather flows with them.

Mouthfeel is fantastic with the perfect amount of carbonation. Just the right amount of bubbles to carry the flavor through. Alcohol burn? What alcohol burn?

Didn't see this one coming. The bottle is nothing special to look at like some are. Haven't heard too much about it like some IPA's. But WOW! This is definitely one of the best IPA's out there. This could be the "one beer for the rest of my life" beer. Outstanding.

06-08-2010 20:09:46 | More by livewire78
crashdavisinoh

A-Orangish, Amber...dark. Nice medium head....fades but some lacing

S-Hops and citrus...very pleasant. Orange, Grapefruit.

T-Hops...hops...hops...very citrusy. Orange, grapefruit...maybe lemon...tangerine. Piney as well. Very good example of what an IPA should taste like. Nice bitterness.

M-Good level of carbonation...very pleasant. Light to medium/light bodied. A nice level of bitterness toward the end.

D-High...I can and sometimes do go to CBC and have 3-4 of these.

A fine example...one of my favorite examples of what an IPA should be. It is different enough to be distinguishable from many others.

03-05-2011 20:03:23 | More by crashdavisinoh
VncentLIFE

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I had an old review, but it was like my first ever review, and it was WAYY off.

It has a hazy copper body. Almost like its unfiltered, and I like it. The initial head was a good inch and eggshell white.

The smell is amazing. The fresher this beer is, the more it smells like ripe grapefruit, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and orange peel--but its a grapefruit bomb and I love it. Right now its got more of a dank, resinousy balance from the hops. Still a grapefruit/citrus forward smell. Nice slightly sticky malt as well.

I think what really makes this beer is the malt backbone. Obviously the slightly grassy yet citrus heavy hops are first and foremost, but the malt is super clean. Its got a slight honey sweetness to it that makes the explosion of citrus fruit feel just a bit more palatable.

Its only slightly bitter, just enough to be an IPA, and that comes in as those beautiful hops fade away. The malt gets to be a bit more pronounced as well, making it nice and balanced as it fades away.

Im almost ready to put this ahead of Two-Hearted as the best IPA in the country.

03-10-2011 01:47:54 | More by VncentLIFE
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hazy orange with a couple fingers of white head

Smell is orange peel, loads of citrus (seems to be the Ohio IPA theme which is fine by me) A little passion fruit thrown in the finish.

Taste is oranges, lemons, grapefruit, pine resin, extremely fresh tasting hops, a little malt in the finish, a little lemon zest bitterness in the end

Mouthfeel is medium with nice carbonation and a semi dry finish.

Wow is all I can say about this beer. It is refreshing, flavor full and keeps me coming back for more and more... Would have a case at all times if I could get it.

06-16-2013 01:39:38 | More by nickapalooza86
mashedpotatoes

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I was warned by the owner of my local liquor store that this IPA was incredible. Wow, this might be the best IPA ever, certainly the best I've ever tried. Pours a nice dark orange with a bit of haze. Head is a single finger height with very nice lacing. Smell is absolutely incredible, the myriad of flowers and slight spicing just burst into your nose. I just can't do this justice enough! Taste is equally floral with hints of citrus and spice. Mouthfeel is tangy, slighty alcoholic and astringent but the aftertaste is pummeled by the flowery hoppiness. Drinkability is on the high side, the sheer enjoyment when the bouquet hits your nose makes you crave more.

01-13-2009 02:01:31 | More by mashedpotatoes
projectflam86

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

A- Pours a nice hazy orange color with a thick white foam head that leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Nice citrus hop aroma with a touch of alcohol.

T- Tangerine and passion fruit flavors with a snappy hop bite. A touch of floral and pine with a super easy finish. The hop flavors are all tropical citrus (grapefruit, pineapple, orange, passion fruit) with the slightest bit of sweet malt.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden.

D- Great citrus IPA flavor. I really wish that these guys had a larger distribution area. I would pick this up regularly.

10-07-2009 03:15:05 | More by projectflam86
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. Picked this up at The Anderson's in Columbus on the way from PA to St. Louis.

Pours a nice hazy light orange with some nice golden hues. Love the haziness. There is a nice 0.5 inch white head that is quite dense and slightly frothy and creamy with some chunkier bubbles mixed around.

Aroma is exquisit. Nice grapefruit and tangerine notes with some good tropical mango as well. Grassy, herbal and flowery. Very fresh aroma. There is a nice toasty and grainy background behind the hop commotion that provides somewhat of a a balanced character. Nice pale malt notes

Taste is excellent. Tons of citrus juice, composed of grapefruit, some orange rind and slight tangerine notes. Slight tropical mango and papaya as well. Very well balanced with nice bready and earthy grain notes that also lend some malty sweetness. Great refreshing crisp body with some surprising heft to it. PErfect for the style.

Very good brew. Believe the hype Columbus IPA is one of the better IPAs out there. Very well balanced with great hop flavors that shine on their own but pl;ay perfectly with the earthy and bready grain. Im sad I only picked up one six pack.

05-29-2012 22:32:50 | More by JoEBoBpr
corey0212

Connecticut

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Got this one from csmiley! Thanks for the chance to try this!

The label tells me this beer is a "hazy pale orange", and I couldn't disagree any more...I'd call this more copper in color, but hey, this wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of being color-blind. Either way, it's a nice color, with a foamy tan head which doesn't seem to be going away, and a whole lot of lacing left behind. The smell? One of the nicest smelling IPAs I've encountered. When I stick my nose in the glass, all I can think is "This is exactly what an IPA should smell like". Big explosive grapefruit smell, sticky pine notes...I could get high smelling this. Wow, just...wow. Taste follows right along, amazing citrus tastes, some tangerine, pine is there, but more subdued, and only very slightly bitter. Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, and drinkability is off the map here....I really couldn't be any more impressed with this beer.

11-21-2008 01:31:41 | More by corey0212
Keffa

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into my Hennepin glass.

A: Hazy orange, nice 2 finger white head that settles to a nice cap of tiny bubbles. Leaves sticky lace with each drink.

Edit: Massive lacing on this bottle. Nice.

S: Pineapple, orange marmalade, mango, piney hop, a little bit of a toasted/caramel malt combo. Very nice aroma here.

Edit: Some sweetness, some amazing hop aromas here.

T: A little sweetness from the malt, then bitter piney hop takes over with a little bit of an orange and tropical hop as well. Malt holds up far better than the initial bitterness indicates. Finishes quite clean, with just a hint of the bitterness and the sweet, citrus notes, which leaves you wanting more.

Edit: Just fantastic hop flavor here, pine, mango, citrus, cracker, caramel, bitterness, herbal. Just so good.

M: Slick and oily, with nice carbonation. Nice body. Makes the beer drink smaller than it is. Good.

D: VERY. Nicely balanced, with several very strong flavor components that cannot be ignored. The hops and malt are well balanced, and one of these isn't enough. Ever.

One of my favorites, and for sure one of the best IPA's I've had. Might just be one of the best IPA's in America. It's a shame more people can't try this. I think the West Coasters would be at home drinking this one.

Edit: If you haven't tried this one yet, get a couple. Trust, one isn't enough. Glad I revisited this one. Going to be a staple from now on.

08-11-2010 00:04:08 | More by Keffa
schwaeh

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz bottle from the freshest sixer I've ever found.

A: Pours a deep hazy orange with a frothy white head. Amazing lacing. Its clear that this is unfiltered; Some sediment is present.

S: I could smell this all day. Smells of orange, lemon, papaya, passion fruit, and a decent sweet malt balance. Floral, citrusy, and slightly grassy hops take the lead this juicy bouquet.

T: Similar to the nose. I get lemon, mango, and floral spicy hops. There is a perfect balance between flavor and bitterness, nothing here that is too harsh on your tongue or detract from the flavor. Some piney astringency is present in the flavor, this builds as it warms. The malts are nice here to keep things in check but I don't find myself paying them much attention with all this citrus.

M: Feels very full and well carbonated. Light bitterness lingers on the palate.

O: This is my favorite example of the style for its balance, layers of citrus, ease of drinking, and lucky for me, it's price and availability. This is an old standby and a beer that always reminds me that I'm lucky to have it.

08-10-2011 01:19:51 | More by schwaeh
Hoptometrist

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Served from the bottle into a nonic glass

A- Poured a hazy light golden color with two finger soapy head that leaves lots of chunky lace

S- Very astringent and sweet grapefruit, big floral notes. Very aromatic and pungent aroma

T- Very grapefruit forward, astringent grapefruit, some pine, caramel notes. Very hoppy IPA with a malt presence

M- High carbonation, creamy, and finishes dry

O- One of my favorite IPAs that I have to pick up whenever I am in Columbus

01-31-2012 02:30:36 | More by Hoptometrist
injuredreserve

Louisiana

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Dark golden with a frothy retaining head.

S: Fresh pine hop with definite citrus and fruit undertones.

T: Wow, nice hoppy punch balanced with nice bitterness giving way to a refreshing citrus zest finish.

M: Med body with nice carbonation.

D: A great example of an IPA.

10-18-2010 22:17:39 | More by injuredreserve
awalk1227

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Consumed 12/25/10, on Christmas evening. Received courtesy of Auslander, thanks Chris, been dying to try this!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint

A: Pours a beautiful glowing, hazy orange. A littler darker than straw. In my other IPA reviews, the unfiltered ones get higher marks from me, and me likey on this one! A slightly aggressive pour leaves about a finger of head, but lacing is immediately apparent. Not perfect due to a smaller head than I expected from a pour that hard.

S: Bright, sunny citrus hops greet me with oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple. A sweet grassiness sits underneath, with the orange of the hops marrying wonderfully with a caramel malt. I usually don't like a very noticeable malt character in the nose, but the line between hops and malt of citric and sweet, respectively is so fine I really enjoy this one.

T: Wow, NOT a palate wrecker! A cool, clean liquid pours into my mouth and immediately the citrus in the nose carries to the taste buds. Orange and lemon zests are there, with a beautiful fresh pine, but not on the resinous side. I'm pleased that the malt is only present enough to balance the beer from being pure hop oil, so I highly approve. What I said earlier about the palate-wrecking qualities of most huge IPAs is not here. Big hops yes, but a super bitter, taste-bud smasher this is not. It finishes clean and smooth.

F: As smooth and clean as this finishes, it provides a very full and creamy mouthfeel. Another sign that the malt bill was well created to not be too sweet or caramel-tasting, but include a very satisfying full mouthfeel. There's a tiny hop prickle on the middle and back of my tongue after swallowing, just enough to let me know this is still a true American IPA.

D: Easily the most drinkable IPA I've ever had. It quenches the thirst but keeps you coming back for more. Great after mowing the lawn on a hot day in August, or for drinking a few with dinner and friends during the coldest nights in winter. I realize as my favorite style, I'm biased, but this is an instant classic. I'll be trading for more.

12-26-2010 03:48:55 | More by awalk1227