Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)

2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Pours a surprisingly dark orange with about a finger of white, frothy head. Head retention is pretty good with some moderate lacing.

S: A little citrus up front followed by lots and lots of pine and resiny hops. Smells pretty good, though not much depth to it.

T: Pine and resin dominate the flavors with an extremely bitter and bland finish. The bitterness lingers around, coating my tongue for minutes after a sip.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation and an oily resin character at the end

D: With the lingering bitterness, this is not a very drinkable IPA to me.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

This beer was sent to me as an extra, and I am sorry to say I don't remember from whom.

It has a nice yellowish appearance to it with a nice white head.

Smells of pine and citrus, the usual IPA smells, but a little bit stronger. I enjoyed the smell the most.

The taste starts out fantastic citrus and pine and the end is overwhelmingly grapefruit/acidic citrus. Definitely not my cup of tea. The end flavor sticks to the tongue and just is not enjoyable.

It has a nice thickness and carbonation to the beer.

I had to pass along half the bottle to another person. It was nice to try, but I won't be having it again if possible.

Well First time review. My home base is Three Floyds and my taste buds tend to judge against the Munster Authority. The citrus up front seemed abit toned down with the bitter after bite being existent . My first rating and I wanted to add their monthly brew but being my first review I cannot add the monthly beer Hop Odyssey which being an extra pale ale I really enjoyed and went very much over in taste above their standard IPA. My two cents of info. Pretty much a standard go to IPA Is how I would rate it. Color seemed light for my standards along with overall taste. If the front end blossomed I would give it a higher rating

3.05/5  rDev -27.6%

A - Golden, hazed, nice white head that retains and laces well. Looks good.

S/T - Rich, ripe grapefruit hits first, but then my super sensitivity to the simcoe hop takes over and I get a healthy dose of cat-pee-soaked carpet amongst resinous pine flavors and aromas. Biscuit malts with some honey sweetness. Gets a little too catty in the taste to actually enjoy the drink.

M - Medium body, ample carbonation, finishes dry with bitter pine.

O - If you're sensitive to the simcoe hop like me, this beer is not for you. If not, you'll probably love this one.

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been slightly off the pale ales of late, as I have felt overwhelmed by their ubiquity. Nevertheless, I won't turn down one that I've never tried, and the folks from Columbus certainly helped my willingness. The pour was a cloudy medium to dark honey which I did not expect, and the white head was decent & full. The aroma, however, threw me for a loop, as it was an astringent cat pee aroma with hints of Concord grapes. Very off-putting. The flavor, however, was not of urine, thank God! Rather, it was light but full, with good hops, not too sharp or sour, and with mild citrus tones. Weird but good.

3.21/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to Kurmaraja for this one. Poured into straight pint glass. poured a semi-hazy orange color with less than 1/4 inch of just off white head that had low retention and above moderate lacing.

The aroma was fairly typical for the style, citrus and pine hops with a mild malt presence. Same on the tongue, except for addition of a slight funk, that I found a bit distracting.

The body was solidly medium for the style, and somewhat sticky. Drinkability was decent, I'd drink a few now and then if they were around. Overall, a good, solid example of the style, not particularly notable for being good or bad. Probably worth a shot if you see it.

Columbus IPA from Columbus Brewing Company