2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 829 | Reviews: 312 | Show All Ratings:
Josh_Wolf

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I was skeptical at first when someone told me to try it. Now, I'm glad they did. It is way better than I thought it would be. The taste was what surprised me the most. It wasn't too hoppy and the aftertaste was pleasant. I will definitely recommend this IPA to anyone.

12-19-2013 00:56:52 | More by Josh_Wolf
garuda

3.05/5  rDev -27.9%

A - Golden, hazed, nice white head that retains and laces well. Looks good.

S/T - Rich, ripe grapefruit hits first, but then my super sensitivity to the simcoe hop takes over and I get a healthy dose of cat-pee-soaked carpet amongst resinous pine flavors and aromas. Biscuit malts with some honey sweetness. Gets a little too catty in the taste to actually enjoy the drink.

M - Medium body, ample carbonation, finishes dry with bitter pine.

O - If you're sensitive to the simcoe hop like me, this beer is not for you. If not, you'll probably love this one.

09-19-2012 15:18:06 | More by garuda
metter98

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

On-tap at Columbus Brewing Company, Columbus, OH

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has some hints of amber. There is no visible carbonation. It poured with a large patch of white bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of tropical fruits in the nose.
T: Very much like the smell, the taste has flavors of tropical fruits—passionfruit seems to stand out in particular. There are also some hints of grapefruit. A light to moderate amount of bitterness is present and lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit smooth (but not crisp) on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink and has lots of interesting hop flavors without a whole lot of bitterness because there is a good balance with the underlying hops.

08-16-2012 19:28:05 | More by metter98
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Huge fluffy white head with great lacing and a clear copper body. Sweet, fruity citrus aromas overshadow a modestly sweet malt base. The taste is light and sweet, while citrusy and tasty even when warm. The mouthfeel is light and very, very well carbonated (or the keg was tapped incorrectly?). It's a very drinkable IPA with a very citrusy hop profile.

08-03-2012 23:21:58 | More by ThePorterSorter
BMMillsy

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at Bar Louie in...you guessed it...downtown Columbus. Pours a hazy golden color. Smell of straight pine, big time bitter, and very little malt presence here. Flavor is very hop forward, big pine hops up front, bite throughout, then more bitter on the way down. One of the most dry finishes I have experienced from an IPA. Focuses hardcore on the bitter hops. Not for those that dislike bitter. Luckily for me, I do. Good IPA, if not a bit one dimensional.

07-16-2012 02:35:11 | More by BMMillsy
Stinkypuss

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Columbus IPA

LOOK: A bright copper color, good clarity, off white foam and sticky lacework.

AROMA: Strong citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. There is a mild but complimentary caramel smell.

TASTE: High alpha Simcoe hops, along with cascade providing a hearty earthy herbal bitterness. Citrus notes still show through. Caramel malt and resinous hop oils in the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied, semi dry finish, crisp and good carbonation.

OVERALL: A very solid IPA. Always a welcome addition to the beer scene, the Columbus brewing co brews this fresh tasting IPA year round.

04-22-2012 20:16:15 | More by Stinkypuss
stercomm

On tap at Columbus airport. Nice 20 oz glass

A - a very hazy light orange/dark honey color, nice whitest head, great lacing, leaves a very slight head on top.

S - get an immediate smell of peaches and citrus with scents of pine, lots of scents here

T - Very hoppy with lots of pine, citrus, with a peach finish, very nice, mostly hops here, tight and dry finish.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

O - A very nice hoppy beer that doesn't overpower you, very stringent taste profile that leaves you wanting another sip. Good brew

02-18-2012 23:48:03 | More by stercomm
OWSLEY069

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, fresh hops, almost marijuana like. In the taste, small dry pine hops, fresh and marijuana like, and a bit gritty all the way through. A small hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry fresh pine hop in the aftertaste. Hops seem so fresh, it had to be brewed yesterday, a bit gritty, but nice nonetheless.

02-11-2012 15:09:02 | More by OWSLEY069
PittBeerGirl

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

On-tap at the brewery yesterday. Super stoked to try it.

A- This is one beautiful beer. Cloudy amber body and served with a nice 2 finger or so head that sticks all the way down the glass with plenty of lacing.

S- Good overall. Plenty of citrus and earthy hops with a faint caramel malt backbone.

T- This is the kicker for me. The nose was very bright but the flavor was average run of the mill IPA. Very faint citrus flavor with earthy hop overtones. The finish has a hint of caramel malt and is just slightly bitter.

M-Medium carbonation and a medium weight body. Nothing much to it.

O-overall this is a decent beer but nothing to brag about. IT really is beautiful and smells good but overall nothing special.

12-29-2011 02:42:20 | More by PittBeerGirl
HOLYBIER

Indiana

Well First time review. My home base is Three Floyds and my taste buds tend to judge against the Munster Authority. The citrus up front seemed abit toned down with the bitter after bite being existent . My first rating and I wanted to add their monthly brew but being my first review I cannot add the monthly beer Hop Odyssey which being an extra pale ale I really enjoyed and went very much over in taste above their standard IPA. My two cents of info. Pretty much a standard go to IPA Is how I would rate it. Color seemed light for my standards along with overall taste. If the front end blossomed I would give it a higher rating

08-25-2011 00:28:13 | More by HOLYBIER
mjw1200

Lots of pine and citrus flavors. Huge hop flavor. Lighter in color than many IPAs of this quality. The smell hits you, you know that you are getting into a wonderfully hoppy ipa as soon as it hits your nose. Had a couple of these and brought a growler home. Excellent beer. If you haven't found it, go after it.

08-14-2011 03:49:11 | More by mjw1200
warbird07

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

enjoyed on tap poured into a pint glass....

Burnt orange in color, nice one finger head, plenty of sticky lacing..

Smell is damn nice, piney and citrus hops aroma, plenty of Simcoe, very clean and inviting..

Taste is fantastic, excellent hop balance,fruity piney, nice clean bitterness that follows..

Supple mouthfeel and smoothness make this a very drinkable ipa. easily on of my favorites so far...

08-07-2011 22:50:58 | More by warbird07
chinchill

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at the brewery.

A nice medium amber with a very durable off-white head.

There are plenty of hops in this one, that much is obvious from the nose. There's a mix of hops, although I can't tell which ones. The finish is markedly hoppy and long lasting, but without the strong bitterness i've come to expect in a beer this hoppy. Nice level of malts to balance the hops.

M- medium body and carbonation.

O - excellent, if otherwise not distinguished example of style.

08-05-2011 18:10:46 | More by chinchill
kirok1999

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a mildly hazy golden straw color with a nice white head.
Complex hop notes...citrus and floral up front with some deep grass and herb behind. Mildly sweet malt backbone.
Taste is much like the smell with a lingering hop aftertaste. There is a real floral note to the hops in the taste. Not as sweet as the smell but the malts are in there in quantity. There's a nice amount of carbonation.
This is a nicely balanced beer and went well with the buffalo wrap I had at the brewpub. I'd imagine this could stand up to most any food out there.

08-05-2011 00:48:48 | More by kirok1999
ChrisPro

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Mobile review.

Draft at Bob's Bar.

A - crystal clear copper, couple fingers of off-white head.

S - nostrils pounded by piney hops and some dankness. Touch of caramel.

T - great sweet malt then a balanced bitter. Incredible hop flavor without an over powering bitter finish.

M - a bit light on the body but that's my only complaint.

O - a world class IPA no doubt. This is phenomenal and would easily be my go to IPA if I had access to it.

05-21-2011 03:24:14 | More by ChrisPro
strikertown

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Golden orange with some nice lacing which holds for a bit and dissipates.

S - Very floral bouquet with lots of citrus and pineapple aromas. This beer smells so good you almost don't want to drink it. Then you drink it and want another.

T - This IPA tastes like a high end fruity west coast IPA. One of the brewers used to work for Pizza Port I believe so this could be how this recipe came about. Strong grapefruit flavors and some pineapple. This is much more an IPA leaning towards the fruity side of hope flavors than the pine side.

M - A nice mouthfeel for a medium bodied beer. Not too much to say here, but its not thin and you aren't chewing on it.

O - This thing comes in at 6.5%, and tastes so good you will be done with a 6 pack before you even realize it. Being from Columbus, this beer makes me happy because it is my go to beer for just about any event and makes its way into most every box I put together. If you are trading with anyone from Columbus and like IPAs ask for this beer!

05-08-2011 00:06:56 | More by strikertown
Puddintane

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

A beer that makes living in Columbus even better! Before I get to my review I'm going to devert to a quick rant about how great the beers coming out of Columus have been the last year or two. I remember back when I first started getting into good beer and was really a novice at this whole thing about a decade ago and I would try everything I could under the sun. I remember thinking Columbus Brewing was middle of the road at best. Lucky for me, things change. When I don't feel like dropping the extra cash on Two Hearted this is generally where my money goes. Pours a golden-amber color with a georgeous fluffy white head. The smell is of wonderful floral, fruity hops with just a touch of pine. Taste is much the same with a little bit of orange and lemon follow by a nicely balance bitterness. Overall not as harshly bitter as I tend to like most of my IPA's but still a beautiful beer worth seeking out.

05-06-2011 15:55:18 | More by Puddintane
crashdavisinoh

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

A-Orangish, Amber...dark. Nice medium head....fades but some lacing

S-Hops and citrus...very pleasant. Orange, Grapefruit.

T-Hops...hops...hops...very citrusy. Orange, grapefruit...maybe lemon...tangerine. Piney as well. Very good example of what an IPA should taste like. Nice bitterness.

M-Good level of carbonation...very pleasant. Light to medium/light bodied. A nice level of bitterness toward the end.

D-High...I can and sometimes do go to CBC and have 3-4 of these.

A fine example...one of my favorite examples of what an IPA should be. It is different enough to be distinguishable from many others.

03-05-2011 20:03:23 | More by crashdavisinoh
Spider889

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Seth, you'll be happy I am finally getting a review of this up.

Had this on tap at Winking Lizard (I am pretty happy that they're finally carrying CBC now). Review from notes.

My beer arrived in a pint glass with one finger of dense fluffy foam that looked nearly impenetrable. It reminded me of the foam you see floating at the bottom of a large waterfall; or like an ice berg. Left an awesome lace blanket on my glass - laceterpiece anyone? :-)

The beer is nearly crystal clear and a light orange color that screamed sunshine - making me long for warmer days.

Smells very resinous and of bitter white grapefruit. There's mild tangerine notes as well.

Tastes as if biting into citrus fruit after recently brushing your teeth. Very bitter and dry with more pine and some lemon zest.

Medium bodied with relatively light carbonation.

Certainly a very solid brew. Something Columbus should be proud of. I can honestly say that the last time I had this in a bottle I liked it much more. Perhaps this keg wasn't so fresh - though I had it the second week of January (and this was the first month that Winking Lizard began carrying CBC), so I am not certain what the difference is. At some point I will get a glass of this at the source, and revisit this review. In the mean time, I plan on getting a bottle review done soon too.
___

Revist:
I had this on tap at the brewery recently, and it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it. I honestly don't think Winking Lizard had old IPA, I think there is just a reasonable amount of batch variation here. That said, I want to rate this beer as for what it is intended (and usually is).

The main improvement is the hop profile, which lends a TON of pineapple aroma and citrus flavor. At its freshest and flavorful peak, I could drink this all night long happily.

01-23-2011 21:19:35 | More by Spider889
ADVbengals

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this beer on tap at a local Irish pub in Columbus, Ohio.

A=This beer is a nice murky, golden-orange coloring.

S=This is probably one of the better smelling IPA beers that I have had. The beer throws citrus and grapefruit at you mixed in with the hops. Also a nice pine smell came along with the citrus.

T=Taste the citrus right off the bat, along with a slight hint of pine. The citrus wears off with a nice bitter after taste. This Beer taste's more sweet to me than any IPA in the past.

M=Decent carbonation.

D=Probably a nice drinking all night beer on a warm summer day.

12-31-2010 13:28:22 | More by ADVbengals
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the Columbus airport location.

Pours a murky gold with orange hue, typical of a quality IPA. Not much head or lacing issued by bartender.
Scent is powerful, grapefruit juice with a light hop note, not much else.
Flavor is completely grapefruit. Not the "grapefruit" note we get from many American IPAs, but as close to drinking an actual grapefruit as you'll find in a beer, flesh as well as rind. Herbal hop note in the finish, more juicy than dry.

Quite a unique IPA, and easy to see why this is a cult favorite in Columbus. Grapefruit/citric IPA lovers will rejoice over this one.

12-02-2010 01:05:28 | More by Natural510
zimm421

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in a pint glass; appears a hazy orange, amber color with a tan/off-white head that sticks around for a decent amount of time.

Smells very earthy with a good amount of citrus, very hoppy. There is a small amount of malts in the background, adding a nice balance to the aroma. The taste is very well balanced, with a great malt backbone, yet still bitter and full of hop flavor. A nice flavor that really works well here.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, the right amount of carbonation, and overall just works well. This goes down pretty easily and is drinkable, something you can go back to. Just a great brew, another good offering from Columbus Brewing.

08-28-2010 15:38:14 | More by zimm421
Redrover

I was in Columbus for work and am always on the lookout for local beers. Found this one on tap at the Tip Top downtown Columbus.

Served in a standard pint, the beer is a hazy peach with a clingy beige head.

It has an inviting nose of pine resin, some caramel malts and citrus.

The taste leads with some pine, more pine and the some slightly sweet malt for balance. This hits the right bitter notes for me but remains nicely balanced.

The mouth is slightly oily and coating. It is a nice take on the style and one that I would have again.

08-24-2010 01:00:22 | More by Redrover
WVbeergeek

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

The best straight up Ohio brewed IPA I've come across hands down. Golden copper slightly hazed. Creammy off white head poured at Bodega. Aroma is full of floral and citrus tones flowing ample malts to balance things out as well. I will track down more of this stuff for sure, next time in Columbus I have to visit the brewery. Flavor is sugar coated grapefruit hops nicely balanced but aggressively hopped. Mouthfeel is medium bodied slighly resinous texture, carbonation was dead on. Drinkability is solid all around, best Ohio brewed IPA damn tasty and hella drinkable.

07-18-2010 16:53:08 | More by WVbeergeek
btorsdog

I had this as a follow up brew after drinking an Avery Maharaja and I was just waiting to be dissapointed...WELL HELLO !!!! this bad boy had all the right things happening, what a pleasant suprise! Looked absolutely amazing in the provided
"Columbus Brewing" pint glass.
Smelled actually more assertive than the Maharaja,lots of fruitiness.
Tasted like an IPA should with an agressive hops blast and lots of complex fruitiness happening throughout.
Mouthfeel and drinkability were absolutely top shelf, wish this was available in my town but for right now looks like I'll have to make the 100 mile + trip to get this one, definetly worth it though!!!!

04-26-2010 00:10:02 | More by btorsdog