Columbus IPA | Columbus Brewing Company

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

Added by Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006

Reviews: 357 | Ratings: 1,219
4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

A transient gentleman came into my store and we talked beer a while. He explained he was staying at a hotel and wanted to know where he could get some local brews. I wrote a map showing where a great resturant featured Gainesville's own Swamp Head beers served only on tap and also a great little bar called Stubbies and Steins where you can get just about any beer under the sun in a bottle. He was so greatful he gave me "a real beer" and it was this Columbus IPA. I am sorry everybody! I did not have a chance to poor this one into a glass because I went to a wedding reception right after work and I wanted to keep it chilled as long as possible because the label stated to because it was not pastuerized. So I can only assume this beer had as wonderful appearance as it did smell and taste. I did take a good whiff before imbibing and smelled some nice pine, citrus, and floral tones. The first swig was heavenly, exactly what an IPA should taste like. Smooth as butter with an oily slickness and side of the tongue and big hop goodness. Thank you no named stranger for offering me a real beer to try!

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Big thanks to brew3crew and urbancaver for the bottle. No bottle dating information available.

Poured into Stone IPA glass. The beer required 2 pours, even with a careful pour a huge 4 finger head is set atop. Retention is fairly impressive. Bone white head recedes leaving thick lacing clinging to the glass. Golden yellow body with slight haze, overall a good looking IPA.

Bright and juicy citrus hops overflow from the glass. Big tangerine aroma upfront with slight tropical fruit behind. Hints of pine layered between the juicy fruit aromas provide some depth. The malt character is very subdued in this nose, I am not complaining however.

The nose gives an excellent indication of what is to come. Soft malt and strong hop profile. The hop flavor is a bit less citrusy than the aroma but a bit more balanced. The citrus, pine and grassy flavors compete amongst each other though ultimately the citrus wins out. The bitterness level is moderate but pleasant. Soft pale malt flavor is very subtle and buried. The lack of malt to hop balance is not an issue.

Medium bodied IPA with moderate but appropriate carbonation. The finish is dry though a bit of pithy bitterness clings to the tongue.

Columbus IPA has been talked up by the Ohio BAs quite a bit in the forums lately. I wanted to taste this one for myself before I passed any judgement, this one is deserving of the chatter. Very enjoyable beer in every aspect. You would be lucky if you could make this your everyday IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured into a globe. Bottle provided as a generous extra by normyk, thanks Rob!

A - Pours a dark golden color, almost brownish until held up to a light, after which is appears a nice, burnt orange color. Muddy and hard to see through with a bit of sediment floating in the glass. Builds about 2 finger's worth of head with okay retention. Thick lacing covers almost the entirety of the glass.

S - The smell is mainly citrus and fruity notes with a slight pine underneath. Grapefruits dominate the aroma, but hints of mangos, oranges, and banana are no strangers as well. Slight malt breadiness helps balance everything out but its still heavily focused on the hops.

T - After my first taste I can see why this beer is so highly acclaimed. The tropical flavors of the hops really pop even moreso than in the smell without being overly bitter at all. It's easy to get the flavors of the citrus and mangos without the scathing bitter bite of other hop-bomb IPAs. The malts go a long way in balancing the beer to keep it from getting to hoppy, yet the focus still shines on the hops. So easy to drink and the alcohol is only slightly there.

M - Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation. Finish is long but not overly bitter at all. The balance continues and keeps you coming back for more.

D - Drinkability is high. This is a great example of a beer exploding with flavor without being incredibly big or alcoholic. Each sip was as good as the first and I was genuinely disappointed when this beer was gone.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

a: nice cloudy golden hue with great head retention of white fluffy head. terrific lacing too.

s: floral and citrus hops with a bit of dankness.

t: solid hop profile with the aforementioned smell and a bit of pine in there too. finishes slightly bitter; its tasty, but its a bit toned down for me. not sure how old this bottle is, though i just think this one doesn't go over the top like most. malt starts sweet and ends a bit bready.

m: solid medium mouthfeel and very smooth and resiny. very well made. not getting as dry a finish as others have mentioned.

d: you could probably drink a lot of these relatively easily.

This is a very well made brew, and I could see this being a favorite of some. I don't know how fresh my bottle was but I like the hops dialed up a bit more. Certainly worth trying though.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle into cervoise. From notes

A - Pours a nice clean muted yellow. White head, with good lacing

S - Mostly the piney bitterness with grass and grains. Some orange zest

T - Straightforward IPA. Grassy bitterness with a hint of grapefruit, orange and lemon in the back palate.

M - Dry, semi-biting/sharp. I would prefer it if it was a bit smoother.

D - I think I could definitely use this as an 'outdoor' beer. Very good and easy to drink.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to OhioHopDevil for the opportunity to try this.

A: Murky orangish copper. Amazing head on this one. Two to three fingers of fluffy white head. Lots of depth and craters...looks like the surface of the moon. When the head finally recedes, it leaves a soapy cap and tons of splotchy lacing. Can't imagine it getting better than this so it gets a 5.

S: Big hops scent. Pine, citrus and maybe a little bit of tropical/mango. Has that juicy hops smell that I love.

T: Pine, grapefruit, orange, tropical fruit(can't decide if I'm picking up mango or not). To be as hoppy as Columbus is, it's not all that bitter. Malt sweetness rounds out the taste. Delicious..love it.

M: Full for an IPA. Dry finish.

D: Doesn't get better than this. Goes down extremely well and is true pleasure to drink. Unfortunately, I've already blew through 3 bottles of the 6 pack..don't want this one to end.

If you have a chance to try this, don't hesitate...it's fantastic. Thanks Donnie!

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

254th review on BA
bottle to pint

Thanks to Beerhan for this one!!! Very good!!

App- Looks like a mix of orange/grapefruit juice with a solid 1 finger head. This was some impressive lacing for an IPA.

Smell- It's more like a west coast IPA to me. Piney, resin, grapefruit and hops.

Taste- Huge grapefruit and hops. Very tasty. Its bold, flavorful and a bit spicy on the backend.

Mouth- Its crisp but has a medium body. The carbonation is a bit thicker and fuller. Its a nice feeling beer. Feels like your drinking something besides some water with flavoring.

Drink- 1 was not enough. I need to find a long lost family member in OH to send me more. A great american IPA from east of the Mississippi river. Damn good beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. No evident dating on the bottle. Huge thanks to MasterSki for sending this one my way.

A - Pours a hazy orange-golden color with a 2.5-3 finger huge, fluffy, foamy, white head. Great retention. A perplexing lacing coats the glass.

S - Wonderful aromas of tropical and floral hops. Slight malt sweetness. Amazing notes of oranges.

T - Tastes similar to the smell. Huge tropical tastes of oranges and mangos with a nice bitterness. No presence of alcohol at all.

M - Light-to-medium mouthfeel. Only a small amount of carbonation. Oily, resiny, feel.

D - Amazingly drinkable. I was done with it before I noticed.

I'll definitely be seeking out a 6 pack of this one.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

12 oz bottle poured into SA Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange, looks thick in the bottle, nice, creamy, two finger head that leaves a lot of lacing. It has a head retention that goes ALL the way until the very last sip. The perfect looking beer.

S - Very strong smell. The first things that hits is an abundance of floral hops, before fading into a citrusy/grapefruit smell. Delicious smell, almost want to dab it on my neck. Perhaps the best smelling IPA I've ever had. You can actually "taste" this beers smell as you draw the first sip.

T - Very, very floral taste, lots of hops right up front. The back end of the taste is a bit sweet even, a little bit of grapefruit but a good amount of orange in there too. Just a great amount of balance present.

M - I was impressed. I thought with the smell of the hops, this was going to be a bit dry, but it wasn't. It was a good consistency, not so thick as to coat your throat, but not a lot of carbonation so it keep the thinness very well.

D - Extremely drinkable, it's a good beer for gulping even.

Overall - Wow. I've been "legal" living in Columbus for five years and this is the first time I've ever had this beer. It's delectable. In base, American IPAs, Columbus may be one of the very best.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Courtesy of normyk

A: Pours slightly cloudy, which is inline with the bottle note that it is unfiltered. Pale orange in color. Nice 1/2 finger white frothy head which is retained throughout the glass. Very little lacing midway down the glass

S: Mmmm, hops. And lots of them. A blend of pine and fresh citrus fruit (orange, grapefruit). One of the better smelling IPAs out there. There is small presence of bread crust

T: Hop flavor initially attacks the palate with piney flavor. The fruit follows in after. Good bready malt base, smoothing this one out at the end. Touch of bitter hop in the finish

M: Medium bodied with great carbonation. Crisp to start, but smooths out in the mouth. Slight bitter and dry residual feeling

D: Such a great IPA. Extremely easy to drink, with no hint of it being 6.5%. Looks like I need to setup a trade for a 6 pack

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a solid orange yellow. Good amount of head and a nice clear look. Smells hoppy but nothing too crazy. Sme nice pine and grapefruit on the nose. Tastes hoppy, grapefruit and pine mostly. Maybe some flowery hints. Slid carbonation and mouthfeel. Overall a solid beer but nothing too crazy.would definitely drink often!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

A-cloudy orangish yellow with nice head.
S-very hopy. Mixture of piney and citrus hops
T-fantastic taste. Hops upfront but not overpowering. Very well balanced
M-medium bodied and smooth. Nice bitterness in aftertaste
D-very drinkable. Solid brew with 4.5s across the board

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Thanks to OhioHopDevil for sending the sixer my way.

A: Pours a hazy light orange color with a nice, pillowy white head that leaves lacing all over the glass. The beer has a very refreshing look.

S: Nice tropical fruit smell off the bat. I get pineapple, mango, and papaya with a slight over-ripeness to all of them. Not a whole lot of balance from any malt, but there is a little bit of sugary sweetness that I pick up as well.

T: Big tropical flavor upfront. A huge sweet burst of mango and passion fruit, followed quickly by a bitter punch from the strength of the hops. The malt manages to sneak through ever so slightly on the finish, but the aftertaste remains remarkably bitter. Very nice.

M: The mouth is silky smooth with the perfect level of carbonation. This finish is very dry and helps to carry the bitterness through.

Overall this is a fantastic IPA that I wish I could get my hands on more frequently. I came in with pretty high expectations after reading some other reviews, and they were most certainly met by this tasty brew.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

thanks for another fine extra from klevelandrocks!!!

A - Poured a stream of a straw yellow into my oversized snifter. It settled into the glass as a nice thick orange red with an almost 2 finger frothy white head. Leaves a nice sticky head.

S - Sticky piney hops.

T - Wonderful bitter IPA. Not as balanced as like, but another one for the hop heads. Pretty much bitter hops, but not overly bitter...the entire palette. Almost a sticky sweaty flavor, but in a good way.

M/D - Nice one. This IPA can run with the best of them. A bit drier and bitter than I prefer, but I've been known to not be into heavy hoppy beers. This one is like a medium in your face hoppy IPA. Enjoyable, and easy drinker. Glad I have a 2nd bottle to enjoy.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orangy-golden color with a sizeable white head. Smells heavenly, with a nice balance of piney and citrusy hops. I can already tell this is going to be a good beer. Taste is not quite as good as the smell, but very close. The citrus and pine hops are balanced with a touch of malt that brings together a really good beer. The mouthfeel is right on. The drinkability is slightly hindered by a slightly off finishing bitterness, though I'm just being picky. This is one of my favorite flyover IPAs. Great job from Columbus.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to Ben for another one of these to review!

Pours a hazy orange with golden edges and a couple fingers of white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing as it fades. A thin layer of foam hangs around for most of the drink.

Aroma is loaded with a nice mix of citrus and piney hops. I also get a fair amount of malt sweetness in the background.

Taste is the same with citrus and some caramel malt sweetness with some dry pine in the finish. Nicely balanced and really quite tasty.

The mouthfeel is nice as well, smooth overall with only moderate carbonation which isn't what I expected given the copious amounts of head. Highly drinkable, the only issue is that I can't roll down the street and get some whenever I need a hop fix.

2.55/5  rDev -39.7%

A: Pours a surprisingly dark orange with about a finger of white, frothy head. Head retention is pretty good with some moderate lacing.

S: A little citrus up front followed by lots and lots of pine and resiny hops. Smells pretty good, though not much depth to it.

T: Pine and resin dominate the flavors with an extremely bitter and bland finish. The bitterness lingers around, coating my tongue for minutes after a sip.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation and an oily resin character at the end

D: With the lingering bitterness, this is not a very drinkable IPA to me.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Ben for sharing this (via proxy Jeff).

Milky, clouded golden amber color with a thick cream colored head that fades to a thin film and thick streaks of lacing. Simcoe dominated aroma of orange zest and pine, and caramel malt. Flavor has a thick creamy, malty body with an intense piney and bitter hop bite from the middle of the body long into the finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, with a drying, bitter finish (which becomes slightly harsh over the course of the bottle). A very solid IPA that I would love to have available locally. If you can try this fresh, do it, but still doesn't hit the level of the top tier AIPAs in complexity of hops or malt.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Seth, you'll be happy I am finally getting a review of this up.

Had this on tap at Winking Lizard (I am pretty happy that they're finally carrying CBC now). Review from notes.

My beer arrived in a pint glass with one finger of dense fluffy foam that looked nearly impenetrable. It reminded me of the foam you see floating at the bottom of a large waterfall; or like an ice berg. Left an awesome lace blanket on my glass - laceterpiece anyone? :-)

The beer is nearly crystal clear and a light orange color that screamed sunshine - making me long for warmer days.

Smells very resinous and of bitter white grapefruit. There's mild tangerine notes as well.

Tastes as if biting into citrus fruit after recently brushing your teeth. Very bitter and dry with more pine and some lemon zest.

Medium bodied with relatively light carbonation.

Certainly a very solid brew. Something Columbus should be proud of. I can honestly say that the last time I had this in a bottle I liked it much more. Perhaps this keg wasn't so fresh - though I had it the second week of January (and this was the first month that Winking Lizard began carrying CBC), so I am not certain what the difference is. At some point I will get a glass of this at the source, and revisit this review. In the mean time, I plan on getting a bottle review done soon too.
___

Revist:
I had this on tap at the brewery recently, and it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it. I honestly don't think Winking Lizard had old IPA, I think there is just a reasonable amount of batch variation here. That said, I want to rate this beer as for what it is intended (and usually is).

The main improvement is the hop profile, which lends a TON of pineapple aroma and citrus flavor. At its freshest and flavorful peak, I could drink this all night long happily.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to brew3crew for this fine Ohio offering.

The pour is a cloudy amber, topped briefly by an off white head that reduces to a bubbly skim.

Greeting my nose is an aroma full of neutral sweet,a touch of breadiness, and the fragrant molecules of some beautiful citrus and herbal hoppiness.

Some nice clean sweet leads into a fine load of hop taste goodness, grapefruit, citrus pith, herbal, vegetal. and eventually drying pine. Nice hop deliciosity, excellent finish. Med. strength taste, but plenty enough, and bright.

Low carb., med. body, pleasant viscosity, and an excellent finish make this wonderful in mouth.

Refreshing, bracing, and delicious, this beer is very drinkable.

Impression: Perhaps not as fine as the hype would suggest (not even close to Sculpin), this is quite a tasty IPA I hesitate not to recommend strongly.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into my Portsmouth Brewing tulip.

Pours a clear, glowing light orange with a ½ inch head with good retention that eventually dissapates to a nice film with with the head holding onto the sides, leaves minimal tiny dots of lacing.
Strong and incrediblely inviting fruit and floral aroma, definitely lemon stands out. Smells fresh and sweet.
Sweet malt taste at first that is shortly dominated by grapefruit and pine, bready in the middle. Light pine and resin finish for a nice bitter bite in the end, but light metallic aftertaste.
Medium body & carbonation.
Top notch IPA, very easy to drink.

Absolutely impressed with this IPA. Very grateful InebriatedJoker sent me a 6-er of this so I can share and savor it. Keeping on my wants indefinitely.

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Really happy to finally have the chance to try this. Thanks Doug

A: Cloudy brassy color with a nice webbing lace and pretty go head retention.

S: crsip floral and herbal aroma, not too heavy on the citrus notes but there is a faint orange smell

T: A mild citrusy taste with a nice oiliness to it. some hints of orange and a slight herbal note. pleasant bread not in the finish along with some bittering pine

M: the creaminess is good but it could stand to be smoother as there was a slight harshness too it.

D: Overall a very solid session IPA, not sure what the age is on this but it seemed to be relatively fresh and i found it to be very enjoyable

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer makes me wish I lived an hour south of where I do.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Nice thick foamy white head that just stays with you throughout the beer. Lots of bubbles and mildly carbonated with a crisp golden amber color. Smells very fruity and is just intoxicating. Tastes very grapefruit esque with some bitterness that fades fast. Not too bitter not too sweet, all around one of the best IPAs out there. This beer is like sweet nectar from a flower. It is just so drinkable that you want to savor every last drop. Believe the hype because its a great drink.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Pours a hazy dark amber color with a two finger white head that leaves behind thick lacing.

S-Huge notes of pineapple, and mango with some floral and pine notes.

T-Big hit of pineapple with some herbal bitterness and a light malt backing

M-Thin to medium-bodied and decently carbonated with a resiny finish.

D-Really easy drinking and full flavored but pretty light on the palate makes this a solid IPA for me.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

This is one of my favorites as of late. It pours a rich amber and a bit of an orange color but my favorite is its smell (and my wife hates it - which means I'll love it) which is very piney with fruit embedded in its nice medium body that is carbonated to make it very drinkable. The taste is well-balanced between the hops and malts. A classic example of an excellent IPA.

Columbus IPA from Columbus Brewing Company