Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
hiphopipa

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into my Portsmouth Brewing tulip.

Pours a clear, glowing light orange with a ½ inch head with good retention that eventually dissapates to a nice film with with the head holding onto the sides, leaves minimal tiny dots of lacing.
Strong and incrediblely inviting fruit and floral aroma, definitely lemon stands out. Smells fresh and sweet.
Sweet malt taste at first that is shortly dominated by grapefruit and pine, bready in the middle. Light pine and resin finish for a nice bitter bite in the end, but light metallic aftertaste.
Medium body & carbonation.
Top notch IPA, very easy to drink.

Absolutely impressed with this IPA. Very grateful InebriatedJoker sent me a 6-er of this so I can share and savor it. Keeping on my wants indefinitely.

01-21-2011 21:39:07 | More by hiphopipa
mikey711

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Really happy to finally have the chance to try this. Thanks Doug

A: Cloudy brassy color with a nice webbing lace and pretty go head retention.

S: crsip floral and herbal aroma, not too heavy on the citrus notes but there is a faint orange smell

T: A mild citrusy taste with a nice oiliness to it. some hints of orange and a slight herbal note. pleasant bread not in the finish along with some bittering pine

M: the creaminess is good but it could stand to be smoother as there was a slight harshness too it.

D: Overall a very solid session IPA, not sure what the age is on this but it seemed to be relatively fresh and i found it to be very enjoyable

01-17-2011 21:17:55 | More by mikey711
beerhan

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer makes me wish I lived an hour south of where I do.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Nice thick foamy white head that just stays with you throughout the beer. Lots of bubbles and mildly carbonated with a crisp golden amber color. Smells very fruity and is just intoxicating. Tastes very grapefruit esque with some bitterness that fades fast. Not too bitter not too sweet, all around one of the best IPAs out there. This beer is like sweet nectar from a flower. It is just so drinkable that you want to savor every last drop. Believe the hype because its a great drink.

01-09-2011 07:53:29 | More by beerhan
samie85

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A-Pours a hazy dark amber color with a two finger white head that leaves behind thick lacing.

S-Huge notes of pineapple, and mango with some floral and pine notes.

T-Big hit of pineapple with some herbal bitterness and a light malt backing

M-Thin to medium-bodied and decently carbonated with a resiny finish.

D-Really easy drinking and full flavored but pretty light on the palate makes this a solid IPA for me.

01-07-2011 02:28:02 | More by samie85
fiveo2270

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is one of my favorites as of late. It pours a rich amber and a bit of an orange color but my favorite is its smell (and my wife hates it - which means I'll love it) which is very piney with fruit embedded in its nice medium body that is carbonated to make it very drinkable. The taste is well-balanced between the hops and malts. A classic example of an excellent IPA.

01-04-2011 22:51:24 | More by fiveo2270
ADVbengals

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this beer on tap at a local Irish pub in Columbus, Ohio.

A=This beer is a nice murky, golden-orange coloring.

S=This is probably one of the better smelling IPA beers that I have had. The beer throws citrus and grapefruit at you mixed in with the hops. Also a nice pine smell came along with the citrus.

T=Taste the citrus right off the bat, along with a slight hint of pine. The citrus wears off with a nice bitter after taste. This Beer taste's more sweet to me than any IPA in the past.

M=Decent carbonation.

D=Probably a nice drinking all night beer on a warm summer day.

12-31-2010 13:28:22 | More by ADVbengals
DavoleBomb

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a snifter. Hefty thanks to therealnomayo for this one.

4.5 A: Opaque orangish brown color. Two fingers of off-white 75% creamy / 25% frothy hybrid head. Good retention and a good bit of lacing. Very nice.

4.5 S: Really wonderful interaction between the hops and the unfiltered yeastiness. I've had a lot of IPAs ruined by yeasty breadiness. Hops are heavy into pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. There a "dankness" to this as well.

4.0 T: Taste is much like the nose, just a little less vibrant. Pineapple is the star here, with grapefruit, lemon, and some herbalness and resin not far behind. Moderate bitterness. Caramel hops and yeastiness. A bit bready from the yeast. Pretty good.

4.0 M: Medium to heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess and fairly smooth.

4.0 D: Maybe a little overhyped, but definitely a good beer. This is like a better version of Boy King (also hyped). Still, this would be an always welcomed extra. Good overall.

12-30-2010 00:56:51 | More by DavoleBomb
billab914

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. It poured a murky, deep orange color with a thick and active head filling the top 2 inches of the glass. The head settled a bit but still left a nice covering on top of the beer. Very nice lacing as well.

The aroma shows mostly grapefruit and pine to the hoppiness, but I also get a hint of lemon and pineapple coming through. Pretty hoppy and nice aroma overall, especially for a standard IPA.

The taste has a nice mix of sweet and hoppy to it. Bitter grapefruit and pine lead the way for the hops up front, while some of the sweeter malty flavors show midway through. As you get to the finish I get more of the herbal hoppiness with a moderate grapefruit bitterness lingering in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's a very nice IPA overall. It had a big hoppiness to it for a standard IPA, but managed to not be overpoweringly bitter. Very good beer overall.

12-29-2010 23:29:52 | More by billab914
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Huge thanks go out to inebriatedjoker for giving me the opportunity to try this diamond in the rough... I'd never so much as heard of this beer or brewery until about 3 weeks ago and after reading some reviews on this, we settled on a trade and I'm cracking the first one for breakfast... Its nice having the entire week off with no responsibility and gives me that luxury...

Pours into my DFH signature glass a honey golden with a small head atop but loads of lacing throughout the pint...unfiltered so its pretty hazy but I don't see much yeast...

Fairly pungent citrusy hop assault in the aromas... Hmmm... This has an almost minty citrusy smell that I find both unusual and invigorating... Not run of the mill over the top hoppiness but very hoppy in a different sort of way I guess.. Perhaps its the Simcoe? At any rate, it smells terrific... Very nice...

A hop kick to the palate right off that's unrelenting in its oily resiny flavors and bitterness... I am floored by this... Mike told me this was really hoppy but I wasn't expecting this level and I'm pleasantly surprised... One of the better examples of the style in my opinion... Its pungent and deep and dank in its hop flavor and bitterness but doesn't completely overwhelm you with acrid bitterness at the end.. I don't grow weary of the profile either... No palate fatigue here...

I have 5 more of these and plan on asking Mike for more... This stuff just feels like one of those beers that has the potential to take off into a cult classic... Flying under the radar for the most part and yet has the characteristics of some of the more well known IPAs... Thanks for the opportunity, Mike! Awesome stuff..

12-29-2010 14:10:55 | More by Tilley4
Kelp

New Hampshire

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

This beer was sent to me as an extra, and I am sorry to say I don't remember from whom.

It has a nice yellowish appearance to it with a nice white head.

Smells of pine and citrus, the usual IPA smells, but a little bit stronger. I enjoyed the smell the most.

The taste starts out fantastic citrus and pine and the end is overwhelmingly grapefruit/acidic citrus. Definitely not my cup of tea. The end flavor sticks to the tongue and just is not enjoyable.

It has a nice thickness and carbonation to the beer.

I had to pass along half the bottle to another person. It was nice to try, but I won't be having it again if possible.

12-27-2010 00:15:09 | More by Kelp
awalk1227

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Consumed 12/25/10, on Christmas evening. Received courtesy of Auslander, thanks Chris, been dying to try this!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint

A: Pours a beautiful glowing, hazy orange. A littler darker than straw. In my other IPA reviews, the unfiltered ones get higher marks from me, and me likey on this one! A slightly aggressive pour leaves about a finger of head, but lacing is immediately apparent. Not perfect due to a smaller head than I expected from a pour that hard.

S: Bright, sunny citrus hops greet me with oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple. A sweet grassiness sits underneath, with the orange of the hops marrying wonderfully with a caramel malt. I usually don't like a very noticeable malt character in the nose, but the line between hops and malt of citric and sweet, respectively is so fine I really enjoy this one.

T: Wow, NOT a palate wrecker! A cool, clean liquid pours into my mouth and immediately the citrus in the nose carries to the taste buds. Orange and lemon zests are there, with a beautiful fresh pine, but not on the resinous side. I'm pleased that the malt is only present enough to balance the beer from being pure hop oil, so I highly approve. What I said earlier about the palate-wrecking qualities of most huge IPAs is not here. Big hops yes, but a super bitter, taste-bud smasher this is not. It finishes clean and smooth.

F: As smooth and clean as this finishes, it provides a very full and creamy mouthfeel. Another sign that the malt bill was well created to not be too sweet or caramel-tasting, but include a very satisfying full mouthfeel. There's a tiny hop prickle on the middle and back of my tongue after swallowing, just enough to let me know this is still a true American IPA.

D: Easily the most drinkable IPA I've ever had. It quenches the thirst but keeps you coming back for more. Great after mowing the lawn on a hot day in August, or for drinking a few with dinner and friends during the coldest nights in winter. I realize as my favorite style, I'm biased, but this is an instant classic. I'll be trading for more.

12-26-2010 03:48:55 | More by awalk1227
AleWatcher

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this growler from Mpbugeye in the Blind Beers 3 BIF.
Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewery, style, or beer...

Ok... So after struggling for 10 minutes with the excessive amount of duct tape, I finally got the growler open..,
Says pour I into a pint or a tulip... Glassware hint doesn't really help me...

So I cracked the growler open and poured into my Duvel tulip... And a glass for my wife into a pint glass. Hers looks better.

This has to be a big old monster of a DIPA. I like it. I like it a lot.

A strong rocky cap of foam leaves dry sticky veins of lacing-- like intricate webs-- down the side of the pint glass. Retention is quite strong. This is a glowing golden-orange color... Very lively and energized.

Nose is in-your-face grapefruit. Huge bomb of citrus hops. A little orange and tangerine hides beneath the grapefruit. Very little malt... But there is some sweetness still. That sweetness is dried up by the finish, which is clean and crisp.

I feel like I've had this before... This is damn tasty. Reminds me a bit of some of the Alpine IPAs I've had before. The body is light, well-carbonated, and prickly as hell. A good oily residue left behind coats my teeth-- nice.

This is VERY easy to put down. I will be pouring a 2nd glass right now.

So what is this one Seth?
Assuming it's a DIPA: (after finding out it is a regular, these numbers got a bump up)
A- 4
S- 4
T- 4.5
M- 4.5
D- 5

And I ripped the paper open-- it's a Columbus Brewing Co growler... Seth has replied that it is in fact Columbus IPA.

Wow. This is killer. So damn flavorful. I would put this right up there with my top IPAs-- Jai Alai, Just Outstanding, and other world class IPAs.

Just a terrific beer-- better from the growler than the bottle, but even the bottle was pretty good.

Serving type: growler

12-20-2010 00:03:10 | More by AleWatcher
jpmclaug

South Carolina

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from the bottle into a perfect pint glass. Grabbed a sixer of this hyped brew while passing through Columbus.

A - Light yellow body at the bottom makes its way to an amber body at the top with a nice sized white head resting on top.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. A bit of pine mingles with some tropical fruit like notes. Some sweetness but mostlya nice hop assault. I'm impressed so far.

T - More balanced than the nose would suggest but wow. Once again I'm impressed. A nice tropical fruit hop flavor up front before giving way to a nice smooth pale malt body. not much lingering bitterness.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, normal amount of carbonation for an IPA

D - Goes down real easy. This thing packs a nice hop flavor for it's ABV. I'll be honest I fully expected to be let down by this but it really stands up to its praise. Not the best IPA I've ever had but certainly near the top. I'll be picking up some more of this the next time I pass through town.

12-18-2010 18:13:01 | More by jpmclaug
gford217

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +5%

12oz bottle from MbpBugeye.

Pours hazy golden amber with a big fluffy white head that shows extremely good retention and lacing.

Aroma is fantastic and full of juicy citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon zest. Nice, crisp crackery aromas in the background. Touch of herbal grasses as well.

Taste is more of the same with a biting citrus kick up front with some pithy grapefruit leaving the palate tingling with hop goodness. As in the nose, there isn't much in the way of malts, and it's mostly a light bready character that doesn't get in the way of the citrus hops.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Extremely refreshing feel with a ton of bitterness.

This is a top notch IPA and seriously drinkable. Despite the big bitterness, it goes down very easy. Impressive stuff.

12-13-2010 02:33:32 | More by gford217
alkemy

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Two thick and fluffy fingers of slightly off-white head sit atop a hazy dark golden hue. Lots of retention. The smell is aggressively hoppy. I get a good deal of tropical fruits blending with a strong pine backbone. I love how the pine overwhelms the scent. However, there is the slightest hint of cat piss that holds me back from giving this a 5 on the smell-o-meter. I have to agree with AgentZero on the woody aspect of the taste. You then get the tropical fruits and big pine notes. Kinda like what I'd imagine biting into a fresh pine 2X4 might taste like. Quite a bit of carbonation. The finish is a great combination of oily resins and watery smoothness...opposites can form a symbiotic relationship. This is my new fave for the style, which is sweet because this little brewery opened my eyes to good beer back in the collegiate years.

12-09-2010 01:38:41 | More by alkemy
jrallen34

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle picked up in my home town, poured into a Narke tulip...A beautiful dark peach, with a nice white head. Ok retention but I was messy on my pour, good lacing...Despite my sick stuffy nose I'm instantly hit with wonderful citrus aromas, orange peel, citrus acid, laced with strong undertones of pine resin. Can't get any better than this for an ipa...The taste loses a lot of the orange, I'm slightly disappointed about that. Mostly piney hops come through, a little too much hops for me on the finish if not better balanced by the sweetness. A dipa taste.

Slightly off balanced taste but this is one of the better ipa's out there. Track this stuff down.

12-08-2010 00:45:02 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Cheers to TurdFurgison, for presenting me with a six pack of this surprise beer.

A - Pours a somewhat opaque amber/brown color, one and a half finger head with pretty good retention that receeded to a fine cap. Got the sugars and everything just right on this, gorgeous lacing. Not a ton too improve on really, I would have liked the head to be a little bigger, maybe I'll try a hard pour and readjust my score on the next bottle.

S - Hop forward, as it should be, this one smells a bit of earth tones and dried wood. Some light tropical fruit, little pine, but not tons.

T - I drink this and I think wood, not gin wood like many things to, but an almost roasted wood taste. Malt backbone is slightly bready. Tropical fruit and pine, much like the nose, are the hop profile. This is quite good.

M - Nice carbonation, finishes just a little watery, but it is very good for this beer.

D - Can drink this all day, great football and pizza beer. Didn't know this existed, but awesome brew, would recommend to anyone.

12-07-2010 17:10:04 | More by AgentZero
MasterSki

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked this up at the Anderson General Store in Columbus. No obvious bottle date, but I'm guessing this turns over pretty quickly. Poured in my Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of creamy white foam with amazing retention, and intricate glass-coating lace. Transparent red-tinged golden body with some slow-moving bubbles. Not really sure how this could look any better.

S - The aroma is a wonderful collection of tropical fruits, oranges, and sugar cookie malt. It's simple, yet extremely effective, and is highly evocative of Alpine's better beers.

T - The taste is more on the herbaceous and earthy side of things, with moderate-to-high mid-palate bitterness that lingers well into the finish. There's some orange juice character in the finish, and a faint hint of pale malt character in the background. Probably a 4.25, but I was a bit generous with the appearance.

M - Light carbonation tingle, smooth medium body that is perhaps a tiny bit watery. Tons of oily residuals, but could stand to be a touch dryer.

D - I absolutely crushed this. A terrific West Coast IPA from an unexpected geographical location. I'm going to have get a regular supply of this, as it's excellent stuff.

12-07-2010 02:16:39 | More by MasterSki
portia99

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle received as a great extra in my latest trade with jpmclaug. Huge thanks Jason! Been wanting to try this one for a while now. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Poured vigorously into the center of the glass, this IPA pours mostly clear, marginally hazy medium amber with 2 fingers of a bit loose, but fluffy creamy white head. Staying power is good...lasting for several minutes before it slowly fades to the surface, but not without leaving behind thick spiderwebs of sticky lacing all over the glass.

S - Hops up front...quite piney and a bit floral/perfumey with some mild pineapple on the side. Smells a bit tropical overall.

T - Hoppy up front with pine being the dominant component but following the aroma with some tropical character, especially pineapple, lots of floral hops and some yeasty esters...mixed with some light caramel malt. Not intensely bitter, but certainly enough there for an IPA. Very good example of the style. Well balanced flavors...no date on the bottle, but it definitely tastes fresh.

M - For me, this is the weak point of the beer. Body is a bit thin for my tastes - seems like it should be thicker and a bit more resiny/sticky in feel. Overall it is thinner than medium bodied and tending towards watery...but not quite there. Carbonation is medium and gives a smooth but prickly sensation. Bitterness comes on after the swallow and lingers for a while.

D - I could easily see myself settling in and drinking a few of these back to back. Definitely stood up to the hype for me. Definitely not my favorite all-time IPA, but it is a solid example that I would be happy coming back to many times.

12-04-2010 01:05:32 | More by portia99
Natural510

4.43/5  rDev +5%

On tap at the Columbus airport location.

Pours a murky gold with orange hue, typical of a quality IPA. Not much head or lacing issued by bartender.
Scent is powerful, grapefruit juice with a light hop note, not much else.
Flavor is completely grapefruit. Not the "grapefruit" note we get from many American IPAs, but as close to drinking an actual grapefruit as you'll find in a beer, flesh as well as rind. Herbal hop note in the finish, more juicy than dry.

Quite a unique IPA, and easy to see why this is a cult favorite in Columbus. Grapefruit/citric IPA lovers will rejoice over this one.

12-02-2010 01:05:28 | More by Natural510
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a hazed ruddy orange with a delicate cap of egg white foam.

Wow, a real shiner! Huge fruit notes! Pulling them apart I get ruby red grapefruit, tropical mango, and an odd suggestion of banana.

The fruitiness come back together, echoing the nose. The malt is assertive as well, with a nice cracker taste and firm body. Hop bitterness is perfect, resinous but never overpowering. It is just a friendly reminder that you had an IPA. The malt character and hop balance create a lumpy partnership, resulting in an odd flavor dichotomy.

Truly a wonderful IPA and I hope to run across some more.

11-27-2010 01:04:14 | More by Lazerlobe
ne0m00re

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.
A: Poured a deep amber with a nice frothy one-finger cream head that slowly setted to a nice film and collar with lacing.
S: Sweet tangerine citrus and peach hops, with cinnamon apples and a slight pine behind it. It smells slightly reminiscent of pie and is very welcoming.
T: Slight caramel cinnamon apple malts with mild walnut biterness reluctantly give way to a deep pine bitterness with a very slight gin alcohol that lingers long after the sip. The citrus from the smell turns into tangerine orange.
M: A thicker body is cut by a nice creamy frothiness.
D: Very good.

11-25-2010 03:49:19 | More by ne0m00re
levifunk

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

a - light orange pour. white head dissipates, but slowly.

s - pine hops dominates. there is a malt sweetness behind the hops.

t - very bitter. citrus hops flavor. flavor dies off quickly which makes me think this beer lacks substance.

m - lighter body. decent carbonation.

11-21-2010 06:17:24 | More by levifunk
biggred1

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Hazy, pumpkin orange with a cream colored head of thick, dense foam that leaves sheets of pretty lace on the glass. The aroma is pure Simcoe, spicy and fruity with light toasted malt. Pure Simcoe hop flavors of grapefruit rind and pine sap with less malt backbone than I'm used to and that's not a bad thing, Columbus IPA is all about the hops. Smooth and medium bodied with creamy carbonation. This is a really good IPA, I wish I could get this in Indy.

11-17-2010 00:25:25 | More by biggred1
buschbeer

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of off white head. It is orange/amber colored. The aroma is citrus and pine. The taste mirrors the smell. It seems to have a little more hop bite than most mid-western ipa's. It kind of has more of a west coast lean. It is a solid ipa. I just prefer some others.

11-13-2010 23:09:49 | More by buschbeer