Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This is one of my favorites as of late. It pours a rich amber and a bit of an orange color but my favorite is its smell (and my wife hates it - which means I'll love it) which is very piney with fruit embedded in its nice medium body that is carbonated to make it very drinkable. The taste is well-balanced between the hops and malts. A classic example of an excellent IPA.

fiveo2270, Jan 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this beer on tap at a local Irish pub in Columbus, Ohio.

A=This beer is a nice murky, golden-orange coloring.

S=This is probably one of the better smelling IPA beers that I have had. The beer throws citrus and grapefruit at you mixed in with the hops. Also a nice pine smell came along with the citrus.

T=Taste the citrus right off the bat, along with a slight hint of pine. The citrus wears off with a nice bitter after taste. This Beer taste's more sweet to me than any IPA in the past.

M=Decent carbonation.

D=Probably a nice drinking all night beer on a warm summer day.

ADVbengals, Dec 31, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a snifter. Hefty thanks to therealnomayo for this one.

4.5 A: Opaque orangish brown color. Two fingers of off-white 75% creamy / 25% frothy hybrid head. Good retention and a good bit of lacing. Very nice.

4.5 S: Really wonderful interaction between the hops and the unfiltered yeastiness. I've had a lot of IPAs ruined by yeasty breadiness. Hops are heavy into pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. There a "dankness" to this as well.

4.0 T: Taste is much like the nose, just a little less vibrant. Pineapple is the star here, with grapefruit, lemon, and some herbalness and resin not far behind. Moderate bitterness. Caramel hops and yeastiness. A bit bready from the yeast. Pretty good.

4.0 M: Medium to heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess and fairly smooth.

4.0 D: Maybe a little overhyped, but definitely a good beer. This is like a better version of Boy King (also hyped). Still, this would be an always welcomed extra. Good overall.

DavoleBomb, Dec 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. It poured a murky, deep orange color with a thick and active head filling the top 2 inches of the glass. The head settled a bit but still left a nice covering on top of the beer. Very nice lacing as well.

The aroma shows mostly grapefruit and pine to the hoppiness, but I also get a hint of lemon and pineapple coming through. Pretty hoppy and nice aroma overall, especially for a standard IPA.

The taste has a nice mix of sweet and hoppy to it. Bitter grapefruit and pine lead the way for the hops up front, while some of the sweeter malty flavors show midway through. As you get to the finish I get more of the herbal hoppiness with a moderate grapefruit bitterness lingering in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's a very nice IPA overall. It had a big hoppiness to it for a standard IPA, but managed to not be overpoweringly bitter. Very good beer overall.

billab914, Dec 29, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Huge thanks go out to inebriatedjoker for giving me the opportunity to try this diamond in the rough... I'd never so much as heard of this beer or brewery until about 3 weeks ago and after reading some reviews on this, we settled on a trade and I'm cracking the first one for breakfast... Its nice having the entire week off with no responsibility and gives me that luxury...

Pours into my DFH signature glass a honey golden with a small head atop but loads of lacing throughout the pint...unfiltered so its pretty hazy but I don't see much yeast...

Fairly pungent citrusy hop assault in the aromas... Hmmm... This has an almost minty citrusy smell that I find both unusual and invigorating... Not run of the mill over the top hoppiness but very hoppy in a different sort of way I guess.. Perhaps its the Simcoe? At any rate, it smells terrific... Very nice...

A hop kick to the palate right off that's unrelenting in its oily resiny flavors and bitterness... I am floored by this... Mike told me this was really hoppy but I wasn't expecting this level and I'm pleasantly surprised... One of the better examples of the style in my opinion... Its pungent and deep and dank in its hop flavor and bitterness but doesn't completely overwhelm you with acrid bitterness at the end.. I don't grow weary of the profile either... No palate fatigue here...

I have 5 more of these and plan on asking Mike for more... This stuff just feels like one of those beers that has the potential to take off into a cult classic... Flying under the radar for the most part and yet has the characteristics of some of the more well known IPAs... Thanks for the opportunity, Mike! Awesome stuff..

Tilley4, Dec 29, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

This beer was sent to me as an extra, and I am sorry to say I don't remember from whom.

It has a nice yellowish appearance to it with a nice white head.

Smells of pine and citrus, the usual IPA smells, but a little bit stronger. I enjoyed the smell the most.

The taste starts out fantastic citrus and pine and the end is overwhelmingly grapefruit/acidic citrus. Definitely not my cup of tea. The end flavor sticks to the tongue and just is not enjoyable.

It has a nice thickness and carbonation to the beer.

I had to pass along half the bottle to another person. It was nice to try, but I won't be having it again if possible.

Kelp, Dec 27, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Consumed 12/25/10, on Christmas evening. Received courtesy of Auslander, thanks Chris, been dying to try this!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint

A: Pours a beautiful glowing, hazy orange. A littler darker than straw. In my other IPA reviews, the unfiltered ones get higher marks from me, and me likey on this one! A slightly aggressive pour leaves about a finger of head, but lacing is immediately apparent. Not perfect due to a smaller head than I expected from a pour that hard.

S: Bright, sunny citrus hops greet me with oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple. A sweet grassiness sits underneath, with the orange of the hops marrying wonderfully with a caramel malt. I usually don't like a very noticeable malt character in the nose, but the line between hops and malt of citric and sweet, respectively is so fine I really enjoy this one.

T: Wow, NOT a palate wrecker! A cool, clean liquid pours into my mouth and immediately the citrus in the nose carries to the taste buds. Orange and lemon zests are there, with a beautiful fresh pine, but not on the resinous side. I'm pleased that the malt is only present enough to balance the beer from being pure hop oil, so I highly approve. What I said earlier about the palate-wrecking qualities of most huge IPAs is not here. Big hops yes, but a super bitter, taste-bud smasher this is not. It finishes clean and smooth.

F: As smooth and clean as this finishes, it provides a very full and creamy mouthfeel. Another sign that the malt bill was well created to not be too sweet or caramel-tasting, but include a very satisfying full mouthfeel. There's a tiny hop prickle on the middle and back of my tongue after swallowing, just enough to let me know this is still a true American IPA.

D: Easily the most drinkable IPA I've ever had. It quenches the thirst but keeps you coming back for more. Great after mowing the lawn on a hot day in August, or for drinking a few with dinner and friends during the coldest nights in winter. I realize as my favorite style, I'm biased, but this is an instant classic. I'll be trading for more.

awalk1227, Dec 26, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this growler from Mpbugeye in the Blind Beers 3 BIF.
Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewery, style, or beer...

Ok... So after struggling for 10 minutes with the excessive amount of duct tape, I finally got the growler open..,
Says pour I into a pint or a tulip... Glassware hint doesn't really help me...

So I cracked the growler open and poured into my Duvel tulip... And a glass for my wife into a pint glass. Hers looks better.

This has to be a big old monster of a DIPA. I like it. I like it a lot.

A strong rocky cap of foam leaves dry sticky veins of lacing-- like intricate webs-- down the side of the pint glass. Retention is quite strong. This is a glowing golden-orange color... Very lively and energized.

Nose is in-your-face grapefruit. Huge bomb of citrus hops. A little orange and tangerine hides beneath the grapefruit. Very little malt... But there is some sweetness still. That sweetness is dried up by the finish, which is clean and crisp.

I feel like I've had this before... This is damn tasty. Reminds me a bit of some of the Alpine IPAs I've had before. The body is light, well-carbonated, and prickly as hell. A good oily residue left behind coats my teeth-- nice.

This is VERY easy to put down. I will be pouring a 2nd glass right now.

So what is this one Seth?
Assuming it's a DIPA: (after finding out it is a regular, these numbers got a bump up)
A- 4
S- 4
T- 4.5
M- 4.5
D- 5

And I ripped the paper open-- it's a Columbus Brewing Co growler... Seth has replied that it is in fact Columbus IPA.

Wow. This is killer. So damn flavorful. I would put this right up there with my top IPAs-- Jai Alai, Just Outstanding, and other world class IPAs.

Just a terrific beer-- better from the growler than the bottle, but even the bottle was pretty good.

AleWatcher, Dec 20, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from the bottle into a perfect pint glass. Grabbed a sixer of this hyped brew while passing through Columbus.

A - Light yellow body at the bottom makes its way to an amber body at the top with a nice sized white head resting on top.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. A bit of pine mingles with some tropical fruit like notes. Some sweetness but mostlya nice hop assault. I'm impressed so far.

T - More balanced than the nose would suggest but wow. Once again I'm impressed. A nice tropical fruit hop flavor up front before giving way to a nice smooth pale malt body. not much lingering bitterness.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, normal amount of carbonation for an IPA

D - Goes down real easy. This thing packs a nice hop flavor for it's ABV. I'll be honest I fully expected to be let down by this but it really stands up to its praise. Not the best IPA I've ever had but certainly near the top. I'll be picking up some more of this the next time I pass through town.

jpmclaug, Dec 18, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle from MbpBugeye.

Pours hazy golden amber with a big fluffy white head that shows extremely good retention and lacing.

Aroma is fantastic and full of juicy citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon zest. Nice, crisp crackery aromas in the background. Touch of herbal grasses as well.

Taste is more of the same with a biting citrus kick up front with some pithy grapefruit leaving the palate tingling with hop goodness. As in the nose, there isn't much in the way of malts, and it's mostly a light bready character that doesn't get in the way of the citrus hops.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Extremely refreshing feel with a ton of bitterness.

This is a top notch IPA and seriously drinkable. Despite the big bitterness, it goes down very easy. Impressive stuff.

gford217, Dec 13, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Two thick and fluffy fingers of slightly off-white head sit atop a hazy dark golden hue. Lots of retention. The smell is aggressively hoppy. I get a good deal of tropical fruits blending with a strong pine backbone. I love how the pine overwhelms the scent. However, there is the slightest hint of cat piss that holds me back from giving this a 5 on the smell-o-meter. I have to agree with AgentZero on the woody aspect of the taste. You then get the tropical fruits and big pine notes. Kinda like what I'd imagine biting into a fresh pine 2X4 might taste like. Quite a bit of carbonation. The finish is a great combination of oily resins and watery smoothness...opposites can form a symbiotic relationship. This is my new fave for the style, which is sweet because this little brewery opened my eyes to good beer back in the collegiate years.

alkemy, Dec 09, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle picked up in my home town, poured into a Narke tulip...A beautiful dark peach, with a nice white head. Ok retention but I was messy on my pour, good lacing...Despite my sick stuffy nose I'm instantly hit with wonderful citrus aromas, orange peel, citrus acid, laced with strong undertones of pine resin. Can't get any better than this for an ipa...The taste loses a lot of the orange, I'm slightly disappointed about that. Mostly piney hops come through, a little too much hops for me on the finish if not better balanced by the sweetness. A dipa taste.

Slightly off balanced taste but this is one of the better ipa's out there. Track this stuff down.

jrallen34, Dec 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Cheers to TurdFurgison, for presenting me with a six pack of this surprise beer.

A - Pours a somewhat opaque amber/brown color, one and a half finger head with pretty good retention that receeded to a fine cap. Got the sugars and everything just right on this, gorgeous lacing. Not a ton too improve on really, I would have liked the head to be a little bigger, maybe I'll try a hard pour and readjust my score on the next bottle.

S - Hop forward, as it should be, this one smells a bit of earth tones and dried wood. Some light tropical fruit, little pine, but not tons.

T - I drink this and I think wood, not gin wood like many things to, but an almost roasted wood taste. Malt backbone is slightly bready. Tropical fruit and pine, much like the nose, are the hop profile. This is quite good.

M - Nice carbonation, finishes just a little watery, but it is very good for this beer.

D - Can drink this all day, great football and pizza beer. Didn't know this existed, but awesome brew, would recommend to anyone.

AgentZero, Dec 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Picked this up at the Anderson General Store in Columbus. No obvious bottle date, but I'm guessing this turns over pretty quickly. Poured in my Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of creamy white foam with amazing retention, and intricate glass-coating lace. Transparent red-tinged golden body with some slow-moving bubbles. Not really sure how this could look any better.

S - The aroma is a wonderful collection of tropical fruits, oranges, and sugar cookie malt. It's simple, yet extremely effective, and is highly evocative of Alpine's better beers.

T - The taste is more on the herbaceous and earthy side of things, with moderate-to-high mid-palate bitterness that lingers well into the finish. There's some orange juice character in the finish, and a faint hint of pale malt character in the background. Probably a 4.25, but I was a bit generous with the appearance.

M - Light carbonation tingle, smooth medium body that is perhaps a tiny bit watery. Tons of oily residuals, but could stand to be a touch dryer.

D - I absolutely crushed this. A terrific West Coast IPA from an unexpected geographical location. I'm going to have get a regular supply of this, as it's excellent stuff.

MasterSki, Dec 07, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz bottle received as a great extra in my latest trade with jpmclaug. Huge thanks Jason! Been wanting to try this one for a while now. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Poured vigorously into the center of the glass, this IPA pours mostly clear, marginally hazy medium amber with 2 fingers of a bit loose, but fluffy creamy white head. Staying power is good...lasting for several minutes before it slowly fades to the surface, but not without leaving behind thick spiderwebs of sticky lacing all over the glass.

S - Hops up front...quite piney and a bit floral/perfumey with some mild pineapple on the side. Smells a bit tropical overall.

T - Hoppy up front with pine being the dominant component but following the aroma with some tropical character, especially pineapple, lots of floral hops and some yeasty esters...mixed with some light caramel malt. Not intensely bitter, but certainly enough there for an IPA. Very good example of the style. Well balanced flavors...no date on the bottle, but it definitely tastes fresh.

M - For me, this is the weak point of the beer. Body is a bit thin for my tastes - seems like it should be thicker and a bit more resiny/sticky in feel. Overall it is thinner than medium bodied and tending towards watery...but not quite there. Carbonation is medium and gives a smooth but prickly sensation. Bitterness comes on after the swallow and lingers for a while.

D - I could easily see myself settling in and drinking a few of these back to back. Definitely stood up to the hype for me. Definitely not my favorite all-time IPA, but it is a solid example that I would be happy coming back to many times.

portia99, Dec 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the Columbus airport location.

Pours a murky gold with orange hue, typical of a quality IPA. Not much head or lacing issued by bartender.
Scent is powerful, grapefruit juice with a light hop note, not much else.
Flavor is completely grapefruit. Not the "grapefruit" note we get from many American IPAs, but as close to drinking an actual grapefruit as you'll find in a beer, flesh as well as rind. Herbal hop note in the finish, more juicy than dry.

Quite a unique IPA, and easy to see why this is a cult favorite in Columbus. Grapefruit/citric IPA lovers will rejoice over this one.

Natural510, Dec 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a hazed ruddy orange with a delicate cap of egg white foam.

Wow, a real shiner! Huge fruit notes! Pulling them apart I get ruby red grapefruit, tropical mango, and an odd suggestion of banana.

The fruitiness come back together, echoing the nose. The malt is assertive as well, with a nice cracker taste and firm body. Hop bitterness is perfect, resinous but never overpowering. It is just a friendly reminder that you had an IPA. The malt character and hop balance create a lumpy partnership, resulting in an odd flavor dichotomy.

Truly a wonderful IPA and I hope to run across some more.

Lazerlobe, Nov 27, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.
A: Poured a deep amber with a nice frothy one-finger cream head that slowly setted to a nice film and collar with lacing.
S: Sweet tangerine citrus and peach hops, with cinnamon apples and a slight pine behind it. It smells slightly reminiscent of pie and is very welcoming.
T: Slight caramel cinnamon apple malts with mild walnut biterness reluctantly give way to a deep pine bitterness with a very slight gin alcohol that lingers long after the sip. The citrus from the smell turns into tangerine orange.
M: A thicker body is cut by a nice creamy frothiness.
D: Very good.

ne0m00re, Nov 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

a - light orange pour. white head dissipates, but slowly.

s - pine hops dominates. there is a malt sweetness behind the hops.

t - very bitter. citrus hops flavor. flavor dies off quickly which makes me think this beer lacks substance.

m - lighter body. decent carbonation.

levifunk, Nov 21, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Hazy, pumpkin orange with a cream colored head of thick, dense foam that leaves sheets of pretty lace on the glass. The aroma is pure Simcoe, spicy and fruity with light toasted malt. Pure Simcoe hop flavors of grapefruit rind and pine sap with less malt backbone than I'm used to and that's not a bad thing, Columbus IPA is all about the hops. Smooth and medium bodied with creamy carbonation. This is a really good IPA, I wish I could get this in Indy.

biggred1, Nov 17, 2010

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of off white head. It is orange/amber colored. The aroma is citrus and pine. The taste mirrors the smell. It seems to have a little more hop bite than most mid-western ipa's. It kind of has more of a west coast lean. It is a solid ipa. I just prefer some others.

buschbeer, Nov 13, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

APPEARANCE: Poured from a growler into a standard pint glass. Cloudy and opaque orange color with a very nice, somewhat creamy, thick head resting on top. Excellent retention on the head, but only 10% coverage or so on the lacing.

SMELL: Outstanding nose, one of the best I have smelled. Floral and sweet. An absolutely delicious smell.

TASTE: Grapefruit and flowers with a nice bitter finish and aftertaste. Not nearly as sweet as the nose, but enough to balance the hops out a bit, but not too much as to overshadow them.

MOUTHFEEL: Light and pleasant. Not overpowering or heavy. Split ¾ of the growler with my girlfriend over dinner and it was the perfect amount. Even with a couple glasses a piece it did not weigh us down or get us too tipsy.

OVERALL: Between the two breweries and one other trip to a local bar during our trip, we must have sampled 20+ beers from Columbus. This was easily my favorite of them all. Columbus's finest. Whether the people of Columbus appreciate it or not, this one deserves it's A-rating from BA.

StoneTSR, Nov 11, 2010
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to crashdavisinoh, man I really liked this stuff (and thanks for the Bells Double Cream, I was really wanting to try that).

Good orange color with above average head, so thick. Best dry hopping. Reminiscient of Sweetwater IPA.

Taste, just great, minimal bitterness with massive hop mouthfeel and bouquet. Seemed like tons of simcoe and amarillo. Tons of pine. Extremely easy drinking, was really a pleasure. Hopefully, this stands up to time better than the Sweetwater did. I was blown away by sweetwater, but by the time I finished the 6 pack of that stuff (still 6 weeks before the drink by date) the stuff had fallen apart. I'll come back to this and adjust the rating through the next couple of weeks, tracing its trajectory (or demise). But for now, damn, tasty.

EDIT: Had some more of this last weekend (5/7/11) and the aroma wasn't as awesome. Maybe it was old, I dunno, drank it w/in 1 week of getting it though.

Beerandraiderfan, Nov 06, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass - big thanks to TrebleStauter for hooking me up with this at the BA Blackout release.

Pours a very hazy burnt orange with a nice, one finger high head. Fades to some spotty, ringed film and patchy lacing around the glass.

Nose filled with booming floral and piny hops, citric rind, some fruit, and a bit of sweetness.

Plenty of boisterous hop juiciness with some punchy, piny, bitter tones. Citrus fruit such as grapefruit and pineapple mix in, before an understated malt base sneaks in with a hint of toasted grain. More bitter hops with floral and citrus tones ride the flavor wave for a long lasting finish.

Medium bodied, easy carbonation, some dryness in the finish. Delicious flavor and pleasant smells make this an easy one to drink, too bad you can only buy it in Columbus. Solid IPA, through and through.

xnicknj, Nov 03, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Pours a pale yellow with a white head that leaves tons of lacing.

S. Very hoppy - pine and citrus.

T. Like the nose, this is very hoppy with pine and citrus flavors.

M. Medium body with medium carbonation.

D. Very drinkable.

This was one of the shockers of the night. In the playoff style of blinded IPA tasting we conducted, this finished first (ahead of Jai Alai, Alesmith, Sculpin, Furious, Two Hearted, Red Racer), but in terms of score it ended up in 4th or 5th place. Regardless, a phenomenal beer that I'll definitely be picking up again.

BeerAndBourbon, Oct 28, 2010