Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Thanks to OhioHopDevil for sending the sixer my way.

A: Pours a hazy light orange color with a nice, pillowy white head that leaves lacing all over the glass. The beer has a very refreshing look.

S: Nice tropical fruit smell off the bat. I get pineapple, mango, and papaya with a slight over-ripeness to all of them. Not a whole lot of balance from any malt, but there is a little bit of sugary sweetness that I pick up as well.

T: Big tropical flavor upfront. A huge sweet burst of mango and passion fruit, followed quickly by a bitter punch from the strength of the hops. The malt manages to sneak through ever so slightly on the finish, but the aftertaste remains remarkably bitter. Very nice.

M: The mouth is silky smooth with the perfect level of carbonation. This finish is very dry and helps to carry the bitterness through.

Overall this is a fantastic IPA that I wish I could get my hands on more frequently. I came in with pretty high expectations after reading some other reviews, and they were most certainly met by this tasty brew.

dgfair, Feb 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

thanks for another fine extra from klevelandrocks!!!

A - Poured a stream of a straw yellow into my oversized snifter. It settled into the glass as a nice thick orange red with an almost 2 finger frothy white head. Leaves a nice sticky head.

S - Sticky piney hops.

T - Wonderful bitter IPA. Not as balanced as like, but another one for the hop heads. Pretty much bitter hops, but not overly bitter...the entire palette. Almost a sticky sweaty flavor, but in a good way.

M/D - Nice one. This IPA can run with the best of them. A bit drier and bitter than I prefer, but I've been known to not be into heavy hoppy beers. This one is like a medium in your face hoppy IPA. Enjoyable, and easy drinker. Glad I have a 2nd bottle to enjoy.

cosmicevan, Feb 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orangy-golden color with a sizeable white head. Smells heavenly, with a nice balance of piney and citrusy hops. I can already tell this is going to be a good beer. Taste is not quite as good as the smell, but very close. The citrus and pine hops are balanced with a touch of malt that brings together a really good beer. The mouthfeel is right on. The drinkability is slightly hindered by a slightly off finishing bitterness, though I'm just being picky. This is one of my favorite flyover IPAs. Great job from Columbus.

seeswo, Feb 01, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Much thanks to Ben for another one of these to review!

Pours a hazy orange with golden edges and a couple fingers of white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing as it fades. A thin layer of foam hangs around for most of the drink.

Aroma is loaded with a nice mix of citrus and piney hops. I also get a fair amount of malt sweetness in the background.

Taste is the same with citrus and some caramel malt sweetness with some dry pine in the finish. Nicely balanced and really quite tasty.

The mouthfeel is nice as well, smooth overall with only moderate carbonation which isn't what I expected given the copious amounts of head. Highly drinkable, the only issue is that I can't roll down the street and get some whenever I need a hop fix.

321jeff, Jan 30, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Pours a surprisingly dark orange with about a finger of white, frothy head. Head retention is pretty good with some moderate lacing.

S: A little citrus up front followed by lots and lots of pine and resiny hops. Smells pretty good, though not much depth to it.

T: Pine and resin dominate the flavors with an extremely bitter and bland finish. The bitterness lingers around, coating my tongue for minutes after a sip.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation and an oily resin character at the end

D: With the lingering bitterness, this is not a very drinkable IPA to me.

n2185, Jan 29, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Ben for sharing this (via proxy Jeff).

Milky, clouded golden amber color with a thick cream colored head that fades to a thin film and thick streaks of lacing. Simcoe dominated aroma of orange zest and pine, and caramel malt. Flavor has a thick creamy, malty body with an intense piney and bitter hop bite from the middle of the body long into the finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, with a drying, bitter finish (which becomes slightly harsh over the course of the bottle). A very solid IPA that I would love to have available locally. If you can try this fresh, do it, but still doesn't hit the level of the top tier AIPAs in complexity of hops or malt.

yourefragile, Jan 24, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Seth, you'll be happy I am finally getting a review of this up.

Had this on tap at Winking Lizard (I am pretty happy that they're finally carrying CBC now). Review from notes.

My beer arrived in a pint glass with one finger of dense fluffy foam that looked nearly impenetrable. It reminded me of the foam you see floating at the bottom of a large waterfall; or like an ice berg. Left an awesome lace blanket on my glass - laceterpiece anyone? :-)

The beer is nearly crystal clear and a light orange color that screamed sunshine - making me long for warmer days.

Smells very resinous and of bitter white grapefruit. There's mild tangerine notes as well.

Tastes as if biting into citrus fruit after recently brushing your teeth. Very bitter and dry with more pine and some lemon zest.

Medium bodied with relatively light carbonation.

Certainly a very solid brew. Something Columbus should be proud of. I can honestly say that the last time I had this in a bottle I liked it much more. Perhaps this keg wasn't so fresh - though I had it the second week of January (and this was the first month that Winking Lizard began carrying CBC), so I am not certain what the difference is. At some point I will get a glass of this at the source, and revisit this review. In the mean time, I plan on getting a bottle review done soon too.
___

Revist:
I had this on tap at the brewery recently, and it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered it. I honestly don't think Winking Lizard had old IPA, I think there is just a reasonable amount of batch variation here. That said, I want to rate this beer as for what it is intended (and usually is).

The main improvement is the hop profile, which lends a TON of pineapple aroma and citrus flavor. At its freshest and flavorful peak, I could drink this all night long happily.

Spider889, Jan 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Big thanks to brew3crew for this fine Ohio offering.

The pour is a cloudy amber, topped briefly by an off white head that reduces to a bubbly skim.

Greeting my nose is an aroma full of neutral sweet,a touch of breadiness, and the fragrant molecules of some beautiful citrus and herbal hoppiness.

Some nice clean sweet leads into a fine load of hop taste goodness, grapefruit, citrus pith, herbal, vegetal. and eventually drying pine. Nice hop deliciosity, excellent finish. Med. strength taste, but plenty enough, and bright.

Low carb., med. body, pleasant viscosity, and an excellent finish make this wonderful in mouth.

Refreshing, bracing, and delicious, this beer is very drinkable.

Impression: Perhaps not as fine as the hype would suggest (not even close to Sculpin), this is quite a tasty IPA I hesitate not to recommend strongly.

cavedave, Jan 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into my Portsmouth Brewing tulip.

Pours a clear, glowing light orange with a ½ inch head with good retention that eventually dissapates to a nice film with with the head holding onto the sides, leaves minimal tiny dots of lacing.
Strong and incrediblely inviting fruit and floral aroma, definitely lemon stands out. Smells fresh and sweet.
Sweet malt taste at first that is shortly dominated by grapefruit and pine, bready in the middle. Light pine and resin finish for a nice bitter bite in the end, but light metallic aftertaste.
Medium body & carbonation.
Top notch IPA, very easy to drink.

Absolutely impressed with this IPA. Very grateful InebriatedJoker sent me a 6-er of this so I can share and savor it. Keeping on my wants indefinitely.

hiphopipa, Jan 21, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Really happy to finally have the chance to try this. Thanks Doug

A: Cloudy brassy color with a nice webbing lace and pretty go head retention.

S: crsip floral and herbal aroma, not too heavy on the citrus notes but there is a faint orange smell

T: A mild citrusy taste with a nice oiliness to it. some hints of orange and a slight herbal note. pleasant bread not in the finish along with some bittering pine

M: the creaminess is good but it could stand to be smoother as there was a slight harshness too it.

D: Overall a very solid session IPA, not sure what the age is on this but it seemed to be relatively fresh and i found it to be very enjoyable

mikey711, Jan 17, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer makes me wish I lived an hour south of where I do.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Nice thick foamy white head that just stays with you throughout the beer. Lots of bubbles and mildly carbonated with a crisp golden amber color. Smells very fruity and is just intoxicating. Tastes very grapefruit esque with some bitterness that fades fast. Not too bitter not too sweet, all around one of the best IPAs out there. This beer is like sweet nectar from a flower. It is just so drinkable that you want to savor every last drop. Believe the hype because its a great drink.

beerhan, Jan 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Pours a hazy dark amber color with a two finger white head that leaves behind thick lacing.

S-Huge notes of pineapple, and mango with some floral and pine notes.

T-Big hit of pineapple with some herbal bitterness and a light malt backing

M-Thin to medium-bodied and decently carbonated with a resiny finish.

D-Really easy drinking and full flavored but pretty light on the palate makes this a solid IPA for me.

samie85, Jan 07, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This is one of my favorites as of late. It pours a rich amber and a bit of an orange color but my favorite is its smell (and my wife hates it - which means I'll love it) which is very piney with fruit embedded in its nice medium body that is carbonated to make it very drinkable. The taste is well-balanced between the hops and malts. A classic example of an excellent IPA.

fiveo2270, Jan 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this beer on tap at a local Irish pub in Columbus, Ohio.

A=This beer is a nice murky, golden-orange coloring.

S=This is probably one of the better smelling IPA beers that I have had. The beer throws citrus and grapefruit at you mixed in with the hops. Also a nice pine smell came along with the citrus.

T=Taste the citrus right off the bat, along with a slight hint of pine. The citrus wears off with a nice bitter after taste. This Beer taste's more sweet to me than any IPA in the past.

M=Decent carbonation.

D=Probably a nice drinking all night beer on a warm summer day.

ADVbengals, Dec 31, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a snifter. Hefty thanks to therealnomayo for this one.

4.5 A: Opaque orangish brown color. Two fingers of off-white 75% creamy / 25% frothy hybrid head. Good retention and a good bit of lacing. Very nice.

4.5 S: Really wonderful interaction between the hops and the unfiltered yeastiness. I've had a lot of IPAs ruined by yeasty breadiness. Hops are heavy into pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon. There a "dankness" to this as well.

4.0 T: Taste is much like the nose, just a little less vibrant. Pineapple is the star here, with grapefruit, lemon, and some herbalness and resin not far behind. Moderate bitterness. Caramel hops and yeastiness. A bit bready from the yeast. Pretty good.

4.0 M: Medium to heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess and fairly smooth.

4.0 D: Maybe a little overhyped, but definitely a good beer. This is like a better version of Boy King (also hyped). Still, this would be an always welcomed extra. Good overall.

DavoleBomb, Dec 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. It poured a murky, deep orange color with a thick and active head filling the top 2 inches of the glass. The head settled a bit but still left a nice covering on top of the beer. Very nice lacing as well.

The aroma shows mostly grapefruit and pine to the hoppiness, but I also get a hint of lemon and pineapple coming through. Pretty hoppy and nice aroma overall, especially for a standard IPA.

The taste has a nice mix of sweet and hoppy to it. Bitter grapefruit and pine lead the way for the hops up front, while some of the sweeter malty flavors show midway through. As you get to the finish I get more of the herbal hoppiness with a moderate grapefruit bitterness lingering in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's a very nice IPA overall. It had a big hoppiness to it for a standard IPA, but managed to not be overpoweringly bitter. Very good beer overall.

billab914, Dec 29, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Huge thanks go out to inebriatedjoker for giving me the opportunity to try this diamond in the rough... I'd never so much as heard of this beer or brewery until about 3 weeks ago and after reading some reviews on this, we settled on a trade and I'm cracking the first one for breakfast... Its nice having the entire week off with no responsibility and gives me that luxury...

Pours into my DFH signature glass a honey golden with a small head atop but loads of lacing throughout the pint...unfiltered so its pretty hazy but I don't see much yeast...

Fairly pungent citrusy hop assault in the aromas... Hmmm... This has an almost minty citrusy smell that I find both unusual and invigorating... Not run of the mill over the top hoppiness but very hoppy in a different sort of way I guess.. Perhaps its the Simcoe? At any rate, it smells terrific... Very nice...

A hop kick to the palate right off that's unrelenting in its oily resiny flavors and bitterness... I am floored by this... Mike told me this was really hoppy but I wasn't expecting this level and I'm pleasantly surprised... One of the better examples of the style in my opinion... Its pungent and deep and dank in its hop flavor and bitterness but doesn't completely overwhelm you with acrid bitterness at the end.. I don't grow weary of the profile either... No palate fatigue here...

I have 5 more of these and plan on asking Mike for more... This stuff just feels like one of those beers that has the potential to take off into a cult classic... Flying under the radar for the most part and yet has the characteristics of some of the more well known IPAs... Thanks for the opportunity, Mike! Awesome stuff..

Tilley4, Dec 29, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

This beer was sent to me as an extra, and I am sorry to say I don't remember from whom.

It has a nice yellowish appearance to it with a nice white head.

Smells of pine and citrus, the usual IPA smells, but a little bit stronger. I enjoyed the smell the most.

The taste starts out fantastic citrus and pine and the end is overwhelmingly grapefruit/acidic citrus. Definitely not my cup of tea. The end flavor sticks to the tongue and just is not enjoyable.

It has a nice thickness and carbonation to the beer.

I had to pass along half the bottle to another person. It was nice to try, but I won't be having it again if possible.

Kelp, Dec 27, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Consumed 12/25/10, on Christmas evening. Received courtesy of Auslander, thanks Chris, been dying to try this!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint

A: Pours a beautiful glowing, hazy orange. A littler darker than straw. In my other IPA reviews, the unfiltered ones get higher marks from me, and me likey on this one! A slightly aggressive pour leaves about a finger of head, but lacing is immediately apparent. Not perfect due to a smaller head than I expected from a pour that hard.

S: Bright, sunny citrus hops greet me with oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple. A sweet grassiness sits underneath, with the orange of the hops marrying wonderfully with a caramel malt. I usually don't like a very noticeable malt character in the nose, but the line between hops and malt of citric and sweet, respectively is so fine I really enjoy this one.

T: Wow, NOT a palate wrecker! A cool, clean liquid pours into my mouth and immediately the citrus in the nose carries to the taste buds. Orange and lemon zests are there, with a beautiful fresh pine, but not on the resinous side. I'm pleased that the malt is only present enough to balance the beer from being pure hop oil, so I highly approve. What I said earlier about the palate-wrecking qualities of most huge IPAs is not here. Big hops yes, but a super bitter, taste-bud smasher this is not. It finishes clean and smooth.

F: As smooth and clean as this finishes, it provides a very full and creamy mouthfeel. Another sign that the malt bill was well created to not be too sweet or caramel-tasting, but include a very satisfying full mouthfeel. There's a tiny hop prickle on the middle and back of my tongue after swallowing, just enough to let me know this is still a true American IPA.

D: Easily the most drinkable IPA I've ever had. It quenches the thirst but keeps you coming back for more. Great after mowing the lawn on a hot day in August, or for drinking a few with dinner and friends during the coldest nights in winter. I realize as my favorite style, I'm biased, but this is an instant classic. I'll be trading for more.

awalk1227, Dec 26, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this growler from Mpbugeye in the Blind Beers 3 BIF.
Reviewed without any knowledge of the brewery, style, or beer...

Ok... So after struggling for 10 minutes with the excessive amount of duct tape, I finally got the growler open..,
Says pour I into a pint or a tulip... Glassware hint doesn't really help me...

So I cracked the growler open and poured into my Duvel tulip... And a glass for my wife into a pint glass. Hers looks better.

This has to be a big old monster of a DIPA. I like it. I like it a lot.

A strong rocky cap of foam leaves dry sticky veins of lacing-- like intricate webs-- down the side of the pint glass. Retention is quite strong. This is a glowing golden-orange color... Very lively and energized.

Nose is in-your-face grapefruit. Huge bomb of citrus hops. A little orange and tangerine hides beneath the grapefruit. Very little malt... But there is some sweetness still. That sweetness is dried up by the finish, which is clean and crisp.

I feel like I've had this before... This is damn tasty. Reminds me a bit of some of the Alpine IPAs I've had before. The body is light, well-carbonated, and prickly as hell. A good oily residue left behind coats my teeth-- nice.

This is VERY easy to put down. I will be pouring a 2nd glass right now.

So what is this one Seth?
Assuming it's a DIPA: (after finding out it is a regular, these numbers got a bump up)
A- 4
S- 4
T- 4.5
M- 4.5
D- 5

And I ripped the paper open-- it's a Columbus Brewing Co growler... Seth has replied that it is in fact Columbus IPA.

Wow. This is killer. So damn flavorful. I would put this right up there with my top IPAs-- Jai Alai, Just Outstanding, and other world class IPAs.

Just a terrific beer-- better from the growler than the bottle, but even the bottle was pretty good.

AleWatcher, Dec 20, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from the bottle into a perfect pint glass. Grabbed a sixer of this hyped brew while passing through Columbus.

A - Light yellow body at the bottom makes its way to an amber body at the top with a nice sized white head resting on top.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. A bit of pine mingles with some tropical fruit like notes. Some sweetness but mostlya nice hop assault. I'm impressed so far.

T - More balanced than the nose would suggest but wow. Once again I'm impressed. A nice tropical fruit hop flavor up front before giving way to a nice smooth pale malt body. not much lingering bitterness.

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, normal amount of carbonation for an IPA

D - Goes down real easy. This thing packs a nice hop flavor for it's ABV. I'll be honest I fully expected to be let down by this but it really stands up to its praise. Not the best IPA I've ever had but certainly near the top. I'll be picking up some more of this the next time I pass through town.

jpmclaug, Dec 18, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz bottle from MbpBugeye.

Pours hazy golden amber with a big fluffy white head that shows extremely good retention and lacing.

Aroma is fantastic and full of juicy citrus hops, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon zest. Nice, crisp crackery aromas in the background. Touch of herbal grasses as well.

Taste is more of the same with a biting citrus kick up front with some pithy grapefruit leaving the palate tingling with hop goodness. As in the nose, there isn't much in the way of malts, and it's mostly a light bready character that doesn't get in the way of the citrus hops.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Extremely refreshing feel with a ton of bitterness.

This is a top notch IPA and seriously drinkable. Despite the big bitterness, it goes down very easy. Impressive stuff.

gford217, Dec 13, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Two thick and fluffy fingers of slightly off-white head sit atop a hazy dark golden hue. Lots of retention. The smell is aggressively hoppy. I get a good deal of tropical fruits blending with a strong pine backbone. I love how the pine overwhelms the scent. However, there is the slightest hint of cat piss that holds me back from giving this a 5 on the smell-o-meter. I have to agree with AgentZero on the woody aspect of the taste. You then get the tropical fruits and big pine notes. Kinda like what I'd imagine biting into a fresh pine 2X4 might taste like. Quite a bit of carbonation. The finish is a great combination of oily resins and watery smoothness...opposites can form a symbiotic relationship. This is my new fave for the style, which is sweet because this little brewery opened my eyes to good beer back in the collegiate years.

alkemy, Dec 09, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle picked up in my home town, poured into a Narke tulip...A beautiful dark peach, with a nice white head. Ok retention but I was messy on my pour, good lacing...Despite my sick stuffy nose I'm instantly hit with wonderful citrus aromas, orange peel, citrus acid, laced with strong undertones of pine resin. Can't get any better than this for an ipa...The taste loses a lot of the orange, I'm slightly disappointed about that. Mostly piney hops come through, a little too much hops for me on the finish if not better balanced by the sweetness. A dipa taste.

Slightly off balanced taste but this is one of the better ipa's out there. Track this stuff down.

jrallen34, Dec 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Cheers to TurdFurgison, for presenting me with a six pack of this surprise beer.

A - Pours a somewhat opaque amber/brown color, one and a half finger head with pretty good retention that receeded to a fine cap. Got the sugars and everything just right on this, gorgeous lacing. Not a ton too improve on really, I would have liked the head to be a little bigger, maybe I'll try a hard pour and readjust my score on the next bottle.

S - Hop forward, as it should be, this one smells a bit of earth tones and dried wood. Some light tropical fruit, little pine, but not tons.

T - I drink this and I think wood, not gin wood like many things to, but an almost roasted wood taste. Malt backbone is slightly bready. Tropical fruit and pine, much like the nose, are the hop profile. This is quite good.

M - Nice carbonation, finishes just a little watery, but it is very good for this beer.

D - Can drink this all day, great football and pizza beer. Didn't know this existed, but awesome brew, would recommend to anyone.

AgentZero, Dec 07, 2010