Columbus IPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus IPAColumbus IPA

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

50 IBU's and hopped with Simcoe

(Beer added by: Osiris9588 on 10-14-2006)
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to csmiley for sending this one my way.

A - Poured a copper color with a big off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Its liked getting smacked in the face by a bunch of fresh citrus and pine hops

T - Not as aggressive as the nose but theres plenty of good citrus and pine flavors

M - This beer has a very smooth medium body with lighter carbonation to it

D - After drinking many different IPAs I've gotten a little burned out with the style but this one is an excellent example of the style that I could drink all the time great taste worth getting your hands on to try

armock, Sep 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

A gift from my buddy RustyDiamond. Thanks, Lance for the tasty brew! I'd never even heard of this brewery, and I have to say, this is one fine beer. Pours a very hazy amber with a fine head that fades somewhat quickly to a swirl and ring but leaves some nice lacing. Stinks of hops! Nice earthy and somewhat citrusy hops with biscuity malt. Tastes even better with a long eearthy bitterness with a citrus and pine tinge and very firm biscuit-like, almost cookie-like malt. Really nicely balanced and as the flavors develop the earthiness is so profound that it almost takes on a cocoa note. Really very good and quite a different approach to an IPA. The layers of flavor make it the mouthfeel a bit darker feeling than the usual IPA. Quite a nice surprise.

Georgiabeer, Aug 25, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Recently tried this for the first time on a trip into Columbus, OH area.

A- Amber, red hue, caramel notes in the color/ nice head and quality retention with some mild lacing down glass.

S- Slight sweet hop aroma, mild character, odd inconsistent staleness to the smell...tried to figure out if the glass had some residual odor in it (don't believe it did)...smell of beer did not mesh with the taste.

T- Moderate hop bitterness, fresh, seemingly basic and standard IPA taste...has more of an EPA character than the traditional American big hop IPA bitterness. Good quality, nice balance with the hops and malt.

M- Good carbonation, which I have heard may have been an issue in the past...nice feel to this beer.

D- Surely this is a very drinkable offering, light and fresh...but nothing to unique or impressive. I do think it is a great addition to the craft beer arena in a really underdeveloped emerging market in the Columbus, OH area.

I would like to get this one on tap...and compare the difference, have heard great things about the draft product...for it's superior freshness and balance.

mwagner1018, Aug 17, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

O..H..I..O!!! This is the best Ohio has to offer, and it kicks ass. This has to be the most balanced, most aromatic IPA on site. The smell is enough to make you fall in love, as a matter of fact it's so floral give a sixer to the wife for valentines!! Rumer has it that CBC is going regional, so for those of you have not been lucky enough to have this on store shelves there is hope for you.

2Stout4u, Aug 11, 2009

5% ABV on bottle, no best by/bottled on date.
Hazy copper pour with a solid 2 fingers of near-white head. Very frothy and thick with lots of bubbles.
Sweet aroma of citrus and sourdough bread, with a dash of pine needle
Bright and hoppy on the nose. A little thin at first, then a nice warm pretzel taste enters the picture. Pine bitterness in the middle. Finishes very clean, somewhat bitter yet very refreshing. Lingering bitter trail left on the palate.
Ringed lacing in the glass with white film floating on head throughout. Very nice.

RustyDiamond, Jul 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Bought a growler of this at the Columbus Brewing Company restaurant in the Brewery District of Columbus. Poured into a pint glass. Color is cloudy and yeasty. Light golden in color with a small head. Smell is tremendously floral. Very nice for an IPA. Hints of melon, blueberry, pine. Very complex flavor. All sorts of hop flavors bloom on the tongue and trail off nicely. I don't know how to describe the beer as anything other than hoppy, but there are so many layers to them. Really good stuff. Mouthfeel is a tad watery with low carbonation, but overall the hops are complex and refreshing. An excellent example of an IPA.

ndekke39, May 15, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Aroma: Summit hops anyone? Fresh tangerine, lemon rind, all things fresh and citric. No malt aromatics and clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Hazy copper colored pour with a sticky, lacy, white head.

Flavor: More tangerine, more lemon rind/zest, a bit of onion which I do get. It's not unpleasant but I definitely see the onion character that some describe as classic Summit flavor. Crazy enough it does fit in well with the tangerine and it's not overpowering. But I definitely get it. Not much of a malt backbone but I get a little bit of crusty wheat bread notes. Finish is clean, crisp, bitter, and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, slightly prickly, and moderately oily.

Overall impression: A classic, Summit forward, IPA. Very well done and glad it's local.

mattcrill, May 11, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to prototypic for this awesome extra!

A- Hazy light amber, one finger head.

S- Big pleasant burst of citrusy and piney hops. There's also an underlying toasty caramel note.

T- Not quite the hops in your face experience that I was expecting. However the overall balance is superb. The rich, smooth, malty backbone is as big as it can get without taking away from the hops. The american hops still shine just not with a blinding brightness.

M- Medium bodied and smooth.

D- One drinkable IPA

Hmm.. It's like an IPA to appeal to malt heads.

Pauly2X, Apr 21, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: It's very hazy and an attractive light brown color with an abundance of orange highlights. It's topped with a vanilla colored head that reached a finger and a half deep. It receded pretty quickly and left a light, sticky lacing on the glass. Very nice look for the style.

Smell: The nose is full of citrus grapefruit, pineapple, and mango. It's very sweet smelling. There's some pale malt here, but I'm not picking up any caramel. Very good sign. Hops are very citric with a touch of pine. It smells pretty standard for a well-done American IPA. My only complaint is that it's a little weak here. A little more strength might just drive it to the next level.

Taste: It kicks off with a very nice citrus blast of grapefruit, pineapple, and light mango. Hops are strong and bitter. They have a nice citric flavor with a bit of pine mixed in. No doubt this is a hop assault. It's very bitter and dry. There's a touch of pale malt that's noted, but not much. Balanced is not a word you'd use to describe this beer. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. It has a very dry and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is very active and crisp. It's smooth, but carbonation is a little too high to be better than that. It's very drinkable. This is an easy drinking, tasty IPA that really satisfies. Gotta love the abv at 6.5% too. It certainly doesn't deter you in any way.

Columbus IPA is a really nice beer. I find myself drinking quite a bit of this stuff and never tire of it. It needs only two minor modifications. The nose needs a little more strength and it's a little too dry. Those two tweaks would improve it. It's very good beer nonetheless. Very proud to say this is brewed in this little place I call home.

prototypic, Mar 18, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Radiant pumpkin orange with (very) light flurries of yeast. No more than a handful of lazy bubble streams can be seen contributing to a three finger crown of sawdust colored foam that is quality from top to bottom. The head is also impressive when it comes to decorating the glass. A classic look.

Oh boy, I love me some Simcoe hops. The tropical fruitiness (that is thankfully unsullied by caramel malt) is bold and bright and juicy and makes me want to dive right into the glass. If the flavor follows suit, we have ourselves a winner.

IPA is top-notch beer, there's no doubt about it. Now the only question is whether it gets a good score or a great one. Too bad I don't have the last five bottles of a sixer to help the decision along. 50 IBUs seems about right. At least these guys didn't wimp out on the little green cones.

Most people will probably want a little more malt, but I think it's fine as is. The relative lack of sugars keeps the alpha acids in buzzsaw mode and gives the tongue a pretty thorough scrubbing. If you want balance, buy a different beer. Top notes include juicy white and pink grapefruit, bitter lemon, passionfruit and pine. Simcoe was a great choice.

The mouthfeel might be a fraction light for the style, but it's close enough and it's certainly no hindrance to rapid consumption. This stuff is dangerously drinkable. Especially if you're a quart low on hops (like I am right now).

Columbus IPA is damn good beer and is CBC's finest creation. I'll be loading up on my thrice yearly trips back to Ohio, that much is certain. If IPA is your favorite style, you owe it to yourself to give this one a whirl. You'll be glad you did.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 26, 2009

Brewed in my hometown Columbus, Ohio but not being bias when I say this is my favorite IPA.

Those who give this a low rating shouldn't be rating beer at all.

Pours: gold/orange with a nice thick head that diminishes and good carbonation

Aroma: sweet fruit & hoppy smell

Taste: citrus, bursting taste of different types of Hops

Mouthfeel: medium, sweet, excellent carbonation as you can see if you pour into a glass

Drinkability: the aftertaste leaves you wanting more. I am smuggling some home to Cali

Serving type: 12oz bottle

MCfunkyJ, Jan 22, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

I've been slightly off the pale ales of late, as I have felt overwhelmed by their ubiquity. Nevertheless, I won't turn down one that I've never tried, and the folks from Columbus certainly helped my willingness. The pour was a cloudy medium to dark honey which I did not expect, and the white head was decent & full. The aroma, however, threw me for a loop, as it was an astringent cat pee aroma with hints of Concord grapes. Very off-putting. The flavor, however, was not of urine, thank God! Rather, it was light but full, with good hops, not too sharp or sour, and with mild citrus tones. Weird but good.

selecter70, Jan 16, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +14%

I was warned by the owner of my local liquor store that this IPA was incredible. Wow, this might be the best IPA ever, certainly the best I've ever tried. Pours a nice dark orange with a bit of haze. Head is a single finger height with very nice lacing. Smell is absolutely incredible, the myriad of flowers and slight spicing just burst into your nose. I just can't do this justice enough! Taste is equally floral with hints of citrus and spice. Mouthfeel is tangy, slighty alcoholic and astringent but the aftertaste is pummeled by the flowery hoppiness. Drinkability is on the high side, the sheer enjoyment when the bouquet hits your nose makes you crave more.

mashedpotatoes, Jan 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Orange, with an off-white head, good retention.

S - Citrus and more citrus. Malts are mostly caramel.

T - Fruit--most grapefruit like with sweet grass as well. Malt is there, but just enough to balance the bittering... perfect in my mind.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated which provided a very refreshing feel.

D - Very good.... the alcohol may be a bit high for a session beer, but this one keeps me coming back for more.

twokansamm, Jan 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a copper orange. Thin head, not much carbonation. Swirl the liquid around and it produces a nice glaze with spotty lacing that lasts for some time.

The simcoe hops stand out on the nose producing grapefruit, pine, and orange-lemon cream. The malt appears with a mild toastiness and butterscotch; creating a balanced aroma.

The beer is very smooth and silky when it hits the tongue; little carbonation. The flavor is grapefruit meets some citrusy pine that decides to do a little dance with some grainy-sweet malt. Signature IPA that leaves the mouth dry and tart while begging for another sip. Mild numbing in the back of the throat; nice.

I have asked people for years why this beer was not bottled; Christmas came early. I have enjoyed CBC since the early-90s with their Pale Ale and Nut Brown Ale while running across their IPA on tap here and there. Great business decision by CBC and look forward to enjoying more.

jdoncbus, Dec 03, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Pours a medium to dark orange color with some haze to it. The eggshell head tops out at one and a quarter inches and sticks around for a while. It becomes a little rocky as it recedes to a thick cap. Retention and lacing are both excellent. This brew is picture perfect. I really can not think of anything to improve on the appearance of this one.

S - Lots of fruit hits the nose immediately. I'm able to pick out orange, mango, grapefruit, and kiwi. Seems like the slightest hint of pine comes in behind the fruit. Some malty notes come through at the very end and are hard to pick out. Could be toasted bread and caramel. Very nice aroma. Not overwhelming but still quite hoppy.

T - Big fruit comes over the palate first with hints of orange and mango. Resiny and earthy flavors weave in and out midway before coming back to some more fruit (bitter grapefruit). Malt base is present but pretty much stays out of the way. I"m pretty sure some bread crust and hard candy flavors finish it out. Alcohol is covered well.

M - This one is on the light side of medium bodied. Carbonation is active and works well in this IPA. Finish is bitter and dry just like I expected.

D - Drinkability is good for this Columbus selection. There is a nice balance between the hop flavor and hop bitterness. It is definitely interesting enough to keep coming back for more and more. The lack of any real alcohol flavor just makes it go down that much easier. I must admit that Columbus brewing hit a home run with the IPA. Great stuff. Easily recommended.

csmiley, Nov 26, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this one from csmiley! Thanks for the chance to try this!

The label tells me this beer is a "hazy pale orange", and I couldn't disagree any more...I'd call this more copper in color, but hey, this wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of being color-blind. Either way, it's a nice color, with a foamy tan head which doesn't seem to be going away, and a whole lot of lacing left behind. The smell? One of the nicest smelling IPAs I've encountered. When I stick my nose in the glass, all I can think is "This is exactly what an IPA should smell like". Big explosive grapefruit smell, sticky pine notes...I could get high smelling this. Wow, just...wow. Taste follows right along, amazing citrus tastes, some tangerine, pine is there, but more subdued, and only very slightly bitter. Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, and drinkability is off the map here....I really couldn't be any more impressed with this beer.

corey0212, Nov 21, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

I walked into my favorite beer store today and found CBCs IPA in the bottle for the first time! So naturally I ran home and poured that bad boy into a pint glass and dove right in.

It poured a medium head that quickly reduced to a thin film that retained with minimal lacing for the entire beer. Color was a surprising orangish color (was expecting more of an amber).

Aroma was there well before I was done pouring. I would describe the floral hop aroma to be almost piney. Very nice!

Taste was slightly bitter, balanced with medium maltyness. For the strong piney and hoppy aroma, I expected a very bitter flavor and was surprised to find this to a be a very well balanced IPA with a strong hop nose to it. Aftertaste was slightly bitter with a hint of citrus.

Light to medium mouthfeel with a higher than expected drinkability.

Overall this is yet another fantastic beer from the Columbus Brewing Company. I am yet to be disappointed by these guys.

ohiohophead, Nov 14, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle

Pours a transparent orange-brown color. Head is just slighlty tannish white in color, diminishes quickly. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma is huge!! Smells strongly of citrus type hops. Almost has an earthy smell too it, but still very strong of fruit like hops. I could smell this one all day long.

Body and carbonation are both light. Hops are apparent from initial to aftertaste. There is just enough maltiness to balance the hop flavor. It is not sweet by any means but it is a balanced beer. The bitterness stays on tongue for quite some time.

Drinkability on this one is awesome. The smell alone is enough to keep me coming back, not to mention it's brewed in the great state of Ohio. This is by far CBC's best beer.

kylephillips, Nov 01, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Pours a nice clear amber color with foamy tannish colored head that leaves a good amount of lacing. Tons of bubbles pouring from the bottom of my glass. Looks pretty good.

S- Very well balanced between the malts and hops. Tropical fruits, piney, and caramel bready malts.

T- Follows the nose pretty well. A great mix of hops and balanced out by the malts. This is a very awesome and solid example of the style.

M- Nice carbonation and medium in body. Fairly crisp and sticky.

D- Easy to drink and a pretty good example of the style. The more I have the more I want this one.

nrbw23, May 20, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a golden yellow with very little in the head department. Tiny bubbles rise from the bottom, and there is a slight spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Amarillo, and another hop that I can't pinpoint, but very hoppy in the aroma. I get a slight hint of malt, but not much but hops greeting my nose.

Taste- Hoppy as can be yet smooth with enough malt to balance things out. Goes great with my spicey sushi for the record. Hops are really quite powerful. Prickleing but very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel- Bitter, smooth, lightly creamy, drying, medium-full bodied, excellently carbonated.

Drinkability- Columbus Brewing Company is really hitting a home run on this sampler. Excellent drinkability.

blakesell, May 06, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

A tasty brew, but doesn't fare as well as the Columbus Pale and the Porter. The malts seem light, flanked against the high attenuation and grassy, citrus hops. Very herbal, grassy, citrus, and piney from the hops, leaving the beer lightly astringent. Higher dryness and alcohol hurts the drinkability a bit. Still crisp and refreshing. Minty and numbing to the palate. Certainly won't turn it down, but I'd prefer another Pale.

BEERchitect, Apr 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this on tap at Columbus Fish Market last night.

Arrived at the table without any head at all in a pint glass. Appeared to be an amber color, almost a clear dark red. Smell is very subtle hops with citrus and a slight taste of pine coming through. Taste is much more floral and grapefruit than I thought from the smell. Very surprising and smooth. I really enjoyed every sip.

genog, Feb 07, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Cask version at Barley’s 5th Annual Mini RAF (04/28/07): This brew is a clear dark amber color with a compact bone white head and spotty lacing. Citrusy hops aroma. Medium body with hops, pine and citrus flavors. Touches of malt here and there too. The finish is hoppy and lingers awhile, and allows some roasted malt flavor to poke through. Pretty good overall.

Dogbrick, Oct 09, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: Copper colored ale with a slight haziness and some orange highlights to it. White head reaches 1” and goes away quickly.

Smell: Very floral hop aroma and fresh grapefruit too. Reminds me of Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher.

Taste: Different from what I expected. Not as complex as I wanted, kind of a one dimensional flavor profile. Kind of a metallic off flavor that sits in the background.

Mouthfeel: Slick at first but then a U-turn makes it feel metallic and coarse. Alcohol is present, but not cloying.

Drinkability: Okay but not worth seeking out. There are better IPAs to be had.

Risser09, Sep 03, 2007