Columbus Pale Ale - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

This award winning, copper colored pale ale was the first beer we ever brewed and it's still one of our favorites. We carefully blend German and English malts and add generous portions of American hops for a refreshing citrus aroma with a dry finish.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark amber color with a slightly off white head that lasts for an extended amount of time with some lacing.

Smells faintly of hops and buscuity malt.

The taste is fairly complex with a fairly unique mix of buscuity/buttery malt and cascade hops. There is also a slightly sweet taste near the finish, can't quite pinpoint it. A nice dry finish after the slick front and middle.

Low carbonation with a medium body.

Much more drinkable than most hop bomb APA's I encounter...more balanced between hops and malt.

Overall, this is a nice above average APA. (564 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

One of the top top pale ales around in my eyes, got to love this brewing company!
looks a foggy orangish amber,quite pretty
smells of a flower infused buttered up piece of italian bread - toasted, nice.
taste was somewhat aggressive for a pale ale but well rounded out with a pretzel quality malt undertone, tasty and satisfying
full bodied mouthfeel with a pleasant bubbly presence- smooth and slippery
drinkability is stellar ,do yourself a favor and get more than one sixer - GREAT BREW!!!! (498 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

This is my second beer from Columbus - had the Golden Ale a couple days ago and was pleasantly surprised. Now on to this one:

Well, we're not off to a great start - this is a little too dark of an amber color - almost a browner red. Sort of like tea that's had the lipton bag in it too long. No head to speak of - even after a fairly vigorous pour. Just a little white wisp along the top.

Nose isn't terribly pronounced either. A little cascade hop aroma and a little malty grains, but not a lot of either. Very light in the nose.

Surprisingly a fairly substantial hit of hops initially in the taste, but a light, watery moutfeel makes it hard to really appreciate. A little bit of yeast makes an appearance in the back. Unfortunately not a lot more to say - there isn't much going on here.

Mouthfeel is the real problem here. Very watery and insigificant. Low carbination beyond what a Pale should be. (915 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Lived in C-bus for three years before I got around to giving this one a review, too bad I waited so long.

A: Deep amber, nice head

S: Nose has both grapefruity and piney hop notes, if I sniff hard enough, before I pass out, I think I detect a hint of orange

T: Citrus hops are the story hear, they dominate the front. Fortuantely, like any good brew, there is enough malt to balance it all out-here it stays in the background where it belongs.

M: Very dry, what can I say?

D: Damn drinkable, a solid APA if I've ever had one. Maybe its so good because it is produced down the street, but I can't wait to try the next one. (637 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a dark copper color, with a foamy head. The head I got was decent and kind of thick. I have seen many others say they had no head, but mine seemed to be pretty good, maybe it is due to temp. or bottled. (no idea)

Definate smell of hops and light malt, floral scent.

The taste is a very strong hops flavor that I seem to really like. Not a whole lot of malt flavor, but very good hop flavor.

A good mouth feel with a dry finish.

I would definately recommend this beer to anybody that likes the taste of a good "bitter".

P.S. - I almost forgot something. "GO BUCKS"!!! BEAT MICHIGAN! (602 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - golden orange, small head that quickly and completely dissipated, flakes floating/settling to the bottom

S - not pleasant, disappointing for a pale ale

T - followed the smell, not at all what I was looking for

M - light-medium full, slight carbonation, again not very pleasing

O - Very disappointed.. Better descriptions of characteristics would have been presented if they were warranted. I expected much better having enjoyed their IPA. (487 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at BD's Mongolian Barbecue @ Easton Town Center.

Appearance: Pours to a beautiful reddish-golden color with a solid, white foam. Unfortunately, the beer was "drizzle poured" by the bartender (I prefer a "pour down center" technique), so exactly how much "native" foam the beer would produce is unknown.

Smell: Again, due to the style of pour used, I didn't get much aroma. A lot of the carbonation and aroma had not been released. However, as time passed, I was able to agitate the beer a bit, and free-up some of the aroma. I picked up slight hints of maple, but the dominant aroma was hops.

Taste: Good, hoppy, bitter brew. Hops is by far the dominant taste here. Went well with food, but it isn't a particularly complex brew.

Mouthfeel: Hard to judge, again due to the pour, but it felt a little thin to me.

Drinkability: Went well with food today, and I could certainly enjoy a few more of these.

I'm going to buy a few singles if I can find them and try it again. There may have been some subtleties that were overwhelmed by the food today, so I want to give this brew a fair review. Will update accordingly. (1,131 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

A- amber coloring, much darker than the usual APA.

S- spiced aroma is evident but not in any way overwhelming would be better if it was a little more evident

T- very bitter, citrus taste evident, a different taste than some other APA's.

M- starts to have a tinny after taste, fruit taste starts to become more evident than it was in the first taste

- easily drinkable, but I'm not sure I want to. the tinny taste after awhile becomes annoying to me. (453 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

Let me start off by saying I do not like pale ales but gave this one a try because I do like other Columbus Brewing Company beers. I generally do not like hoppy beers so I stay away from pale ales. As far as pale ales go it is pretty good. In order for me to drink a pale ale I need to be in the mood.

A-This beer has a cooper, amber color. It poured a finger of head, but settled down to less than 1/16 an inch.

S-The beer has a bright citrusy scent.

T-A hoppy flavor with hints of caramel.

M- Not too bubbly, smooth.

D- too much hoppiness for me, but may be good for the average hop enthusiast. (603 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Lofty, dimpled yellowish tan foam leaves moderate lacing on my pint glass. The beer is a hazy medium gold.

Moderately pungent fruity hop aroma. Lots of apricot, tinged with citrus. Fairly sweet.

Flavor is quite hoppy…this is a pale ale along the lines of Sierra's. Considerable grapefruit rind, with some herbal notes as well, like tarragon and kaffir lime leaves. Malt comes through as bready, slightly of wheat. Finishes very crisp and dry, as opposed to what was hinted by the nose.

Refreshing mouthfeel with good effervescence, possibly slightly too much, in a brew that still has plenty of body.

Overall, this beer is a winner. Picked it up at a gas station in Columbus after dinner at Barley's. Wish I could get a hold of it more regularly, would be a good beer to bring to parties where IPAs are seen as threatening but Sierra Nevadas are welcomed. (862 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a reddish brown. Some may say is darker than expected, but as this isn't my first Columbus Pale Ale, it is right on target.
Starts with a cream-colored bubly head that doesn't last long.
A good citrus and hop flavor to start out the pallate, but finishes weak with a semi-sour note.
Mouthfeel is a little watery, so nothing special there.
Still, a drinkable brew, and coming out of CBus, could any Buckeyes fan not enjoy a few? (439 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

I've had this many times, being a Columbus native.

The color is a nice copper brown and I always pour a nice head and achieve some great lacing.

The smell is probably this beer's weakest attribute. There isn't much to it. Some hop presence, malts. Pretty straightforward earthiness. Not bad, but you might as well just take a taste.

This beer has a good woodsy hop character. I don't taste as much fruit as I would prefer, but sometimes I am in the mood for something more earthy and piney. There is good balance of hop and malt, neither overpowering the other.

Mouthfeel is really nice. I can always count on this beer to really coat the mouth. It's something you can really bite into, so I really enjoy it while eating foods.

This is a good, straightforward beer. Not the most complex pale ale, but it doesn't need to be. It is something I will continue to buy. (868 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +10%

I think one should first try to figure out what the brewery is going for in a beer. Columbus Brewing is trying to make a pale ale that converts macro and craft drinkers alike into having this ale as their session choice. It certainly is starting to do that for me. The hops dominate, but not overbearingly. It is not a "world class" pale ale like Great Lakes Burning River or even Sierra Nevada, but when it comes to local Columbus brews, it is at the top of its class. Sometimes people over emphasize the "bigness" of a beer and then review these milder pale ales at a disadvantage. I will not because Columbus Pale Ale does what it sets out to do, and never dissapoints me. Drinking local guarantees freshness, availability, and pride in city. (745 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours an amber color, white head dissipates quickly into a thin film. Faint lacing.

Smell is almost entirely floral. Very faint. Slightly sweet.

Nose is slightly sweet, very light malt flavor, becomes a faint hop bitterness. Tastes a bit watery. Lacking some complexity and flavor.

Good carbonation. Light body. Dry finish. Drinkability is good. Light and refreshing.

Being from the Columbus area, (and this being my first Columbus Brewing Co. beer) I really wanted to love it. I still like it; it's a refreshing little number, but it could be much better. I'm hoping I tried the weak link in the Columbus line first. (623 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last