Columbus Bodhi DIPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Columbus Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: projectflam86 on 10-07-2009

Reviews: 137 | Hads: 1,154

This is my first review and I don't think I'm very good at explaining and describing a beer. All I know is that this beer is absolutely phenomenal. I've had a lot of Pliny (the Elder). I've had Heady Topper and I've had quite a few Three Floyds. I know these are some of the greatest IPAs (or double IPAs). And they really are! I love them all (in their own way). But I really do have to say, if there was one beer that towers over them all, then it's this one. From the nose to the taste, it's just brilliant. I could never tire of drinking Bodhi. Columbus and their brewmaster have really done something phenomenal with this beer. I really don't even want to compare it to other beers. I don't feel like it should be a competition. But at the same time, I do have to say that this is absolutely the one I would favor over all of them. For the simple reason that it never gets old. Not too sweet. Not too bitter. Not too malty. It's just right. Glass after glass. With every sip, you'll taste a little bit of heaven. ;)

PS: I live in VA and drive up to OH just to drink this brilliant brew. (1,113 characters)

Sampled at CBC and then from growler I purchased. This is spot on for me. Easily the best DIPA I've had, and what I compare all others too. Much more experienced tasters than me put it near the top of their lists as well. (224 characters)

The beer comes in a hazy golden yellow color.

The aroma offers big tangerine, passionfruit, ripe apricot, peaches. A bright Citra aroma with no malt to speak of.

The flavor follows tasting of pure grapefruit zest. A smack of spicy floral of lavender and hints of eucalyptus and grass hit on the middle as the beer dries out towards a slight herbacious note.

A hugely floral DIPA that could be mistaken for a treat from Shaun Hill of Hill Farmstead. A large hop presence that sticks to the teeth, leaving hop residue and flavors lingering. (543 characters)

This is the best DIPA I have ever had. Beautiful beer, tons of tropical fruit on the aroma, and the flavor follows the nose perfectly. 8%+ is nowhere to be found. They need to find a way to package this beer, as I hate having to wait for a trip to Columbus to get my hands on it. (280 characters)

Fantastic. Found it at a tap house near Cleveland and ordered a pint. I was skeptical about the "best beer in Ohio" but damn if it isn't at least a strong contender for that title. A beautiful golden yellow with a little head, the nose and taste are very citrusy. Extremely easy to drink, I almost forgot I had a beer in my hand and not a smoothie. (348 characters)

Truly thrilled to try what I believe is Columbus's best DIPA.

Yellow-orange color with slight haze.

Fantastic citrusy, floral aroma with huge hop punch. Grapefruit, pine..everything I want in a great double IPA.

It is truly exceptional how this very hoppy beer does not become overwhelmed with hops..the malt that is present is well-noted as well. That being said, the malt does not get to a sticky-sweet level, and the finish is somewhat dry.

While the brewers have refined this beer and they feel it can still be improved, I must admit to me this beer is pretty close to the epitome of what I want in a West Coast style DIPA..hats off to the CBC crew for creating a superior beer in all regards. (703 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

If I could give Bodhi a 6 for mouthfeel, especially for a DIPA style, I would. It's that amazing as far as mouthfeel goes.

Currently only on tap (growler, draft, etc.). Hasn't ever been bottled for wide release by the brewery. And arguably the best beer the Columbus Brewing Company has ever produced (and also, one of the best Ohio-produced beers).

Bodhi isn't your typical DIPA. Of course, it's supposed to be hoppy. What it *isn't* supposed to be is to look like a hefeweizen. Nor is it *supposed* to have a mouthfeel that is superior to Bud Light somehow. And it's still hopped out of the roof! This beer is world-class and in a class of its own.

Appearance: Very very cloudy and hazy orange. Fantastic head. Carbonation isn't top-notch, but with the flavors packed in this beer, you could drink it flat, and it'd still excel. This simply isn't what a DIPA is "supposed" to look like.

Smell: Balanced hops and touches of banana.

Taste: Finely balanced hops, a touch of banana and ester. Quite balanced all around. It has the hops you want and crave, and yet also brings other flavors to the table. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel: As previously noted, would give a 6 to this alone. A DIPA simply isn't supposed to be this smooth. Just isn't supposed to be.

My highest recommendation for those of you looking for a DIPA/IIPA. (1,326 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a growler into a tulip. Appears an extremely hazy orange, with nice head that leaves pretty nice lacing.

Nose is absolutely perfect. Tons of citrus hops, and some good floral notes. Almost all hops, but there is a very small hint of sweetness that makes this combination amazing. The taste is similar, as expected. The upfront flavor is good malt that is immediately washed away with hopiness. Lots of floral and citrus, but the pine flavors finally make their presence known.

The mouthfeel is very smooth at first, but has a little bite on the tip of the tongue. There is a lot of stickiness, but it goes down nicely. Overall, this is an incredible beer. Very satisfying, refreshing and so flavorful. Another great beer from CBC! (745 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

My awesome trading partner Colby sent me a growler randomly.

Pour is light orange with 2 fingers of head.

Smell is pure awesome grapefruit, pine, deep fruit.

Taste is just f!king fantastic. I'm really blown away here. Did not expect this amount of awesome when I cracked the growler. You have just a potpourri of tropical and citrus fruit with BAM amounts of hops. Minimal malt and extreme freshness. Something special here folks. I would drink this every day and twice on Tuesdays. A must have.

Overall this is something special. Keeps up with the best of them. I'm motoring through this growler like it's a glass of H20 after a 2 day survival mission in the Mohave desert. It's like Natalie Portman bred with Giselle.

Must try. May just be the best IIPA I've ever had. (777 characters)

Had on draft in a pint!
Too many more good Beresford have here tonight, but if you are a hop head, you will love this. Only bad thing about it is that each sip leaves a mild dry bitterness that makes you absolutely want another taste. Dangerously smashable for 8.5% :) (268 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

a huge thanks to mark for the growler of this one. this trade kinda fell into my lap and i really could not say no. opened last night to keep it fresh i really devoured this one!

golden amber with wonderful clarity, three inches of white foam quickly develops on the top of the beer. Settles slowly, but surely into a sticky, glass coating mess that lets you know you are dealing with a monster.

Such crisp, ripe citrus aroma, this may be hands down the best smelling double IPA I have ever run across, it really is just that good. Oranges and heaps of sugary tangerine goodness are just oozing out of this one, Simply spellbinding as it tugs you in and will not let go, not for a moment. Then you manage to make it past the cloud of citrus and into the first sip, and then its over. First off this is over nine and a half percent and drinks like its five. Amazingly hidden alcohol. The smoothness of the profile as the hops are seemlessly blended to the point you get the full brunt of the orange and pineapple flavor but your palate is not torn apart. Remarkable beer. Super dry finish leaves you thirsty, begging for more, wandering around outside looking for that growler to get another taste before its gone,

One of the best beers out there right now period. (1,266 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Awesome Beer! Certainly a fan favorite within Columbus, for obvious reasons. If hops aren't your thing stay away! Only downside to this beer is, it's not sold in stores. Great Brew!! (182 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tropical and citrus fruit explosion. Bitterness is never offensive and, at least to me, drinks as easy as orange juice, with deliciousness that begs for the next taste. A must try for IPA aficionados. (200 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

They recently re-did the formula and it is way better now. Different yeast is what I heard, not sure what else. Great juiciness and mouthfeel. Like eating a pineapple. Great DIPA. Only wished it was bottle so it would be easy to share the wealth. Get your self some. (266 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Semi-transparent yellow on the pour with a generous white head. Great retention, beautiful lacing. Outstanding aroma with massive amounts of citrus, grapefruit and bread. Big Hop bite with a nice punch on the first sip. Dry pine and citrus follow through the overall body. a very satisfying finish. Clean, hoppy mouthfeel. No doubt that this beer should rate right there with the best of them. (393 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks so much to NW2285 for beering this forward! Pours a beautiful cloudy golden honey color with thick, two finger white head. Good retention and nice lacing. The aroma is the finest example of DIPA that I have ever experienced - redolent of grapefruit, pine, and just a touch of dank. Very hop forward on the nose. The taste does not disappoint, it is every bit the equal of the nose, if not superior. Grass, pine, and citrus come first, followed by a mild malt backbone that does an outstanding job of balancing out the mild bitter finish. This is the finest tasting DIPA I've ever had! It's balanced and smooth, the bitterness isn't overdone as in west coast IPAs. It has a medium body with good carbonation. Finishes dry. I can say without hesitation that this is the best DIPA I've had to date, and I'm pessimistic that I'll find one better. Please bottle this Columbus Brewing, please! (894 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

64oz growler poured into tulip.

A: Cloudy yellowish-orange with medium white head.

S: This stuff smells incredible! So much tropical fruit here. Pineapple predominantly, followed by banana and citrus fruit.

T: Fruit juice. Rich and juicy pineapple-grapefruit. Slightly bitter citrus aftertaste and absolutely no alcohol to speak of. Mind-blowing!

M: Medium-heavy bodied. Very smooth, creamy, and refreshing going down.

O: Definitely one of the best, if not the best DIPA I've ever had. More people ought to seek this out! Right now limited to growlers; if they ever get it into bottles, I bet this would really take off. A++ (632 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Old Mohawk in German Village, Columbus. Beautiful golden color, incredible aroma of citrus and pine. Taste is pleasant, balanced, no overpowering bitterness. This was my new favorite DIPA from the first sip. Not sure how widely available this is, but definitely not to be missed if you're ever in central Ohio. (324 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

On tap, served into a pint glass

A: 2 fingers of white pillowy head, hazy light gold color, lots of lacing down the glass

S: The most tropical smelling IPA I've experienced yet. Tons of pineapple, mango, and citrus aroma. Absolutely top notch.

T: Follows the aroma, a big punch of tropical fruit flavors followed by a bit of caramel and biscuit malt, a little bit sweet. This is incredibly balanced and flavorful IPA.

M: Medium body, very smooth, delicate carbonation and nice drying finish.

O: Hands down the best IPA I've had to date. This truly is a world class beer and I can't imagine other IPAs being leaps and bounds better than this. It'll be great to see Columbus get this into bottles so we can see how it stacks up against the heavy hitters of the IPA world. (774 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A truly original masterpiece in the DIPA category. This one stacks up to the best DIPA's in the country. Seek this one out. For me, it's up there with Heady Topper and the Pliny's.

Light in color, but the smell, taste and mouthfeel are exceptional. Pine, citrus, biscuit and just a great flow to this beer. I'll say it again, very original in the category. Great stuff. (370 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Screw-top growler received via Growling at the Moon from bb8189. Thanks for the brew, Brian!

First steinful pours with a towering 2" bright white head, over the cloudy golden brew. Head snocones above the rim, literally doesn't go anywhere for a long while, with sticky lasting lace. Aroma is citrus, dominantly grapefruit.

Taste starts with a light sweetness, but is more defined by the grapefruit and citrus power from beginning to end. Sticky lingering bitterness at the close, with ample alcohol warmth. No overpowering bitterface though, which is awesome. Mouthfeel is totally smooth, with incredibly dangerous drinkability. And this was put in a growler three weeks ago?!? Who says growlers don't last? Cheers to GATM! (727 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Maybe because I live in Columbus, but this beer is top three of all time. I travel every month on business, try local beer everywhere. This is so choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking some up. That's all I have to say but it's making me add more words to submit the review. Peace, love, and hairgrease. (319 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +8%

From a growler purchased @ Rozi's in Cleveland on 5/1/15. Was really looking forward to trying this and it did not disappoint by any means. Wish I had access to this regularly. (178 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Look 8/10
Smell 19/20
Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 96/100

One of the most amazing beers I have ever had... This DIPA is crisp, dry, dank beyond belief also has a subtle sweetness that isnt overwhelming or assertive, massive pine and citrus (Tones of Lemon, Grapefruit and Orange) Also has lots green, grassy earth tones. While the taste is certainly impressive, what's really amazing is how well the ABV is hidden, It's an 8% that drinks like 5.5% or less. I have had a few big dog IPA's (Heady, Pliny, Z-Dust, Double Citra) I would easily put this up against those any day of the week. Truly world class in every regard~ (736 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Big thanks to warnerry for sharing!

A- Pours a slightly hazy orange liquid with a few streams of rising carbonation. The white head is thin but creamy.

S- Passion fruit, mango, pineapple, pine, caramel, and a bit of citrus. Absolutely astounding.

T- The fruit really jumps out at first followed by the biscuity malt. Really fruity and delicious. The malt backing is definitely a but on the lighter side which works really well for this beer.

M- The carbonation is nice and the lingering bitterness is spot on.

O- An outstanding beer for the style. Seems like an extreme Zombie Dust. (588 characters)

Columbus Bodhi DIPA from Columbus Brewing Company