Columbus Bodhi DIPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: projectflam86 on 10-07-2009

Reviews: 150 | Hads: 1,219
4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Oh, the famed Bodhi. It's funny when you finally get to these uber-hyped beers of a specific fame. The reality of the ride seems to usually be different than what it was built up in the mind.

Nice look to it; barely hazed gold. Flavor has full, sweet hops with some clear pine that isn't overly obnoxious or abrasive. Smooth is the word here. It's really amazing (and great!) that smooth IPAs and DIPAs are the new rage. So pleasant and easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 day old growler acquired via trade. Was trying to hold out til the Super Bowl but...

Light golden hue. Moderate pour produces a one finger head.

Admittedly I get very little off the nose. Some sweet fruit. Little pine. I'm a little concerned.

Taste allays my worry. Bold taste. Nice balance of tropical fruit and pine followed but big hop bitterness mid palette. The finish however has plenty of malt and just enough sweet to balance this off perfectly. This is extremely drinkable and at 8% it's almost scary.

This was worth seeking out. Well done.

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

Tried from a fresh Growler fill. Great hop aroma but taste was a little weak on the delivery compared to the smell. Still outstanding IPA with awesome finish!

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a growler from Save-On Craft Beer in Mentor, OH. There is not much to say about this beer other than WOW!!! From start to finish this is an homage to sweet juicy, sticky tropical hops with lots of fresh ripe fruit and balancing hints of pine and grapefruit rind. Easy drinking considering the ABV and just enjoyable. I cannot wait till it is bottled or canned!

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Oh yeah! This is good stuff!

Dark yellow/orange body. Burnt orange. Sugar, pine, and resin aroma. Sweet/rich/bitter pineapple taste with a sweet, subdued, peachy, background. Way in the back. Candied, subdued fruit, flowery, in that order. Sharp finish. Dense carbonation in the mouth. Chewy. Smooth, no aftertaste, clean.

Overall...I would put this up there against many of the great DIPAs, such as Pliny the Elder (PtE), Abrasive, Hopslam, and Heady Topper. I think it is PtE's half-brother. This DIPA is great!

Compliments of Katharlis-4040

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

On draft. Very floral bouquet. Hoppy taste as would be expected but very smooth and well balanced unlike a lot of ipas. I'm not a huge ipa fan but this is a terrific beer

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Holds it's own against other top Ohio IPAs/DIPAs (Head Hunter/White Rajah).
Growler fill ($14) from my local bottle shop (Bottles 101 in Kent,OH).

L - Fantastic, golden hue. Soapy lacing.

S - Piney, not overpowering.

T - Smooth and not too heavy.

F - Resin, but again not over the top.

O - Just a fantastic DIPA that doesn't feel or taste like a DIPA. Clean & smooth, not bitter, not too heavy.

It's absolutely criminal that Columbus doesn't bottle this. I know they're planning to do so. It will fly off the shelves in Ohio. I could live the rest of my days drinking this, Head Hunter and White Rajah.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a deeply complex IPA. Velvety and smooth with no off putting attributes. Nice golden orange amber body. Head is short and off white poured from a growler. Orange rind and flowery resin dominate the nose. The body is bright and full of citrus as it enters the mouth with first sip. The body is very vibrant for any style, especially an IPA. Crisp, sharp, and electric in character and absolutely delicious in every way. I could drink this brew every day. This beer is the real thing. I really hope they start packaging this beer for distribution.

4.84/5  rDev +8%

Look 8/10
Smell 19/20
Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 96/100

One of the most amazing beers I have ever had... This DIPA is crisp, dry, dank beyond belief also has a subtle sweetness that isnt overwhelming or assertive, massive pine and citrus (Tones of Lemon, Grapefruit and Orange) Also has lots green, grassy earth tones. While the taste is certainly impressive, what's really amazing is how well the ABV is hidden, It's an 8% that drinks like 5.5% or less. I have had a few big dog IPA's (Heady, Pliny, Z-Dust, Double Citra) I would easily put this up against those any day of the week. Truly world class in every regard~

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

Had on draft at WOB in Columbus, OH. Super dank and resinous both in the smell and taste. I don't think this is the best beer brewed in OH, but it is great and worth seeking out if you are in the area(available draft only).

Fantastic. Found it at a tap house near Cleveland and ordered a pint. I was skeptical about the "best beer in Ohio" but damn if it isn't at least a strong contender for that title. A beautiful golden yellow with a little head, the nose and taste are very citrusy. Extremely easy to drink, I almost forgot I had a beer in my hand and not a smoothie.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Aroma - amazing, very pungent dankness, strong notes of pine
Color - nice hazy golden color
Taste - very piney citrus forward, leaves with a dry finish that makes you want to drink again and again.

Thank you Team Ohio for this taste. Will seek out again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

After a few years of drinking this, I am finally getting around to a formal review. This one is from a growler, as this is the only way to enjoy it at home. For now...

Pours a mainly clear golden yellow, with a bright white fluffy head.

Smells very pungent. Lots of floral and piney hops with a touch of citrus and medicinal aromas. Not much malt noticeable.

An initial sweet, sticky toasted malt provides a very light base for the hops to explode out of. The citrus punches you in the mouth right of the bat. Pineapple and a passion fruit. A lot more tropical fruit flavor then you would guess from the aroma. It is followed up with a wave of pine and floral bouquet flavors. Fairly green and dank, without being too medicinal, and very crisp and clean in the finish. A moderate amount of resin feel. It is medium bodied, with just the right amount of carbonation.

While the midwest usually offers up tropical juice bombs, or a mix of east and west coast IPAs, this one is definitely a more traditional west coast version to me, and it absolutely nails it. This is Pliny the Elder good whether you want to believe it or not. Probably a little less balanced - if you are looking for a hoppier version. Still one of my top 3 DIPAs.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honey yellow color glows from the glass, not much head, lacing on each sip but not strong enough to cling. The smell is ridiculous, I smelled it the instant I popped the growler like it was caged and waiting to bust free. Amazing citrus aroma with strong orange, grapefruit and lemon. None of the grassy or piney notes hops usually bring. Very clean focused aroma. Taste is maybe the best of any beer I've had to date. So delicate with big citrus flavors. Orange, grapefruit and lemon; yeah it's all in there. Light sweetness in the background from the malt that accentuates and just let's the hops shine. Soft mouthfeel, low end of medium mouthfeel and none of the stickiness you'd expect from a beer with 8% ABV. Finish leaves great hop flavor, refreshing and crisp and then in a flash it dries out. This beer is dangerous. Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever had and I hope I get to have it again.

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

the thing thats so impressive about this beer isnt its hop profile, as good as that is (its amazing), but its the mouthfeel. there is no evidence at all that this is 8% abv, it drinks like 5%, and the body isnt even all big and sticky and filling, its just delicate stuff, very east coast, very impressive. the hop complexion does rock though, quite lemony but only mid range on the bitterness scale. there is a honey color to the beer but a definite baked malt profile under the hops, which gives balance but not much body and certainly no residual sugar. i like beers like this, that arent what i expect but are delicious anyways. some earthiness to the hops too, not grassy or piney, my familiar descriptors, but someplace in between, plant-like and mildy astringent, but with that lemon thing in there too. its got great carbonation and would be way too easy to get messed up on. my first beer from columbus is nothing short of sensational.

This is my first review and I don't think I'm very good at explaining and describing a beer. All I know is that this beer is absolutely phenomenal. I've had a lot of Pliny (the Elder). I've had Heady Topper and I've had quite a few Three Floyds. I know these are some of the greatest IPAs (or double IPAs). And they really are! I love them all (in their own way). But I really do have to say, if there was one beer that towers over them all, then it's this one. From the nose to the taste, it's just brilliant. I could never tire of drinking Bodhi. Columbus and their brewmaster have really done something phenomenal with this beer. I really don't even want to compare it to other beers. I don't feel like it should be a competition. But at the same time, I do have to say that this is absolutely the one I would favor over all of them. For the simple reason that it never gets old. Not too sweet. Not too bitter. Not too malty. It's just right. Glass after glass. With every sip, you'll taste a little bit of heaven. ;)

PS: I live in VA and drive up to OH just to drink this brilliant brew.

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%

Lovely lemon yellow in the glass. Passion fruit and mango nose is outstanding. Bright, bright citrus hops and a greasy hop mouthfeel that feels like taking a gulp of an oil spill -- love it.

The beer comes in a hazy golden yellow color.

The aroma offers big tangerine, passionfruit, ripe apricot, peaches. A bright Citra aroma with no malt to speak of.

The flavor follows tasting of pure grapefruit zest. A smack of spicy floral of lavender and hints of eucalyptus and grass hit on the middle as the beer dries out towards a slight herbacious note.

A hugely floral DIPA that could be mistaken for a treat from Shaun Hill of Hill Farmstead. A large hop presence that sticks to the teeth, leaving hop residue and flavors lingering.

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a six-ish day old growler.

Aroma of citrus and tropical fruits jump out of the glass.

Taste is similar to the nose, citrus and tropical fruits, good malt balance, minimal bitterness. Not sure if this would be even fruitier if really fresh, but if so that would be pretty damn amazing.

Overall, a great beer. Very smooth and dangerously drinkable. Easily crushed three 12oz pours in a very short time period. Heady and Pliny have nothing on this.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

Courtesy of SomethingClever thank you for your earnest effort for me to receive this beer! From notes..yeah I take those.
Appearance: Brilliant shade of Sunshine! Cloudy and mischievous, with a nice crown of frothy white head. The aroma is just straight Dank hops! Look, I hate to use the word Dank, but yeah, this brew is Dank and pleasant! Underlaying of citric, earthy hops with almost an herbal onion quality! The taste is just as banging! Citric, earthy and herbal. All hops with some subtle malts and alcohol on the back part of the tongue. The beer finishes as any DIPA should, dry, bitter and smooth! The mouthfeel is Medium-light and light carb.

Overall: This beer is up there with Gandhi Bot. This brew is now one of my favorite DIPAs. It isn't lacking anything when it comes to DIPAs. It's incredibly drinkable, hoppy and nice balance on the malts yet Raw! This brew is recommended!

4.75/5  rDev +6%

This beer is simply fantastic. Beautiful color and excellent smell. The hops explode on the tongue and there is little alcohol aftertaste that many DIPS's seem to have.

I am moving this into my upper tier of Brews with no reservation. Best beer brewed in Ohio in my opinion.

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Pint Room-Dublin.
Damn good DIPA. Very light-straw colored, which made me wonder if it was going to be as good as I thought it would be. Had the look of a wheat ale. But that smell and taste immediately made me forget about that and I proceeded to have another and take home a growler of it. Im glad there is such a tasty DIPA that comes out of this state.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was extremely good, and extremely fresh (being that it was consumed in C-Bus). Nice finger and a half of head, nice translucent body, very nice. Beautiful citrus notes... lemon freshness. Not a huge nose, but nice and clean. Pine quickly invaded the taste, with clean, fresh notes absent from the nose. Surprise. Crisp mouthfeel lacking the sliminess of some DIPAs. Nice brew, even on a day when I may have been a bit inundated by DIPAs! If you are in Columbus, come and try this one!

4.86/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Maybe because I live in Columbus, but this beer is top three of all time. I travel every month on business, try local beer everywhere. This is so choice, if you have the means I highly suggest picking some up. That's all I have to say but it's making me add more words to submit the review. Peace, love, and hairgrease.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler filled with Bodhi on 7.26.14 and consumed hours later, out of a teku. Thanks Joel!

A: The color is a lovely shade of pale yellow straw. The beer looks hazy, crisp, and refreshing. Just a beautiful beer.

S: Intense aromas of grapefruit peel, juicy pineapple, and candied orange. Also some tangerine notes and plenty of dank, pine-laden hops. Delightful

T: Lots of citrus fruit (pink grapefruit, orange, and tangerine) and bits of mango. Nice backbone of pine and resin. Incredibly juicy and refreshing, with a great dry finish.

M: Somewhere on the lighter side of medium-bodied: it goes down easily and is endlessly drinkable. Light, juicy, creamy, and refreshing.

O: So glad I got to try this one…a fantastic DIPA that rivals some of the better DIPAs I've had

Columbus Bodhi DIPA from Columbus Brewing Company