Columbus Bodhi DIPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Beer added by: projectflam86 on 10-07-2009

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 136 | Hads: 1,152
4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

I tried this beer while visiting my parents in Dublin, Ohio at Matt The Millers Tavern. I was expecting the Uncle Rusty i loved so much last time i ordered their hop odyssey. When the light gold glass was put in front of me i was a little disappointed. All of the was over when i took the first smell. citrus prevails with grapefruit some pineapple and a little pine. the first sip put any remaining reserve to rest. pale malt is discernible in the background and is well balanced by the hop profile which is similar to the smell. sweet citrus and pine start, medium smooth body with a bitter finish, just how i like an imperial ipa. I'm not usually one to pay too much attention to lacing but this time it really stood out. I cant make up my mind which i like better, uncle rusty or bodhi. both are incredible if you ever get a chance try any of the hop odysseys, you wont be let down. (886 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice crisp clear golden yellow. Lots of white frothy head. Very pretty.
Smells super hoppy. Lots of pine and citrus. Not as hoppy as a dip a typically would be i think but smells great
Tastes solidly hoppy. A touch of bitter but very smooth. I like this quite a bit.
Slid mouthfeel. Not too thick... Not too thin. Well carbonated. Overall very solid (358 characters)

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Part of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-nice golden yellow with a great head that retains
S-nice subtle fruity hops smell. Very inviting
T-nice fruity hop taste and not to bruisng with the hops. Great beer
m-medium bod and so smooth
O-a great double to the original Columbus ipa (299 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Mobile review.

Draft at Bob's Bar.

A - light straw, and a little haze. Frothy white head and great lace.

S.- tons of fruit: peach, mango and pineapple. Lots of biscuit as it warms.

T - touch of sweetness then great bitterness to balance. Not astringent at all but a punch of hops. More biscuit as it warms.

M - great carb. Medium body. Biscuit leaves mouth a bit dry which lingers. After a full pint, could start to feel a bit of heat.

O - this is an exceptional DIPA. Easily one of the best I've ever had and confirms that CBC knows how to use hops. (556 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

I was lucky to find this on cask at Bob's Bar. Glad to see it available again. This beer is light golden color with a very fine haze, and a thick frothy layer of white stuff. Huge lacing too, thick sheets of bubbles dried onto the glass.

The aroma is fairly awesome, the crew at CBC knows how to make a good IPA/DIPA. Tropical citrus like mango and pineapple, some toasted malt is barely perceptable too. Mainly hops though, with no noticable alcohol. Same with the taste, what an excellent beer. The hops shine through, not abrasive or burning in any way, more just aromatic and flavorful. This is a DIPA done very well.

The body is ideal, just a wonderful light and velvety cask character, this goes down like water. Delicious hoppy water. I'm ordering another right now. (775 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Ahhh Bodhi reappears for the 2nd Round of Hop Odyssey. I didn’t have a chance to try this the first time around, so I’m pleased to see it.

Bodhi’s an interesting pale gold color. Much lighter than you’d ordinarily expect for a DIPA. One glance tells me this beast is very short on caramel malt. Works for me. Slightly off-white head covers it and stands just shy of a finger tall. It recedes rather quickly, and leaves a moderate web of sticky lace in its wake.

The nose is fantastic! I’m unsure of the exact hop profile, but citric and pine notes are abundant. Grapefruit, pineapple, and light mango are the most prevalent. I don’t know the exact hop profile, but Citra is definitely in the mix. In that respect, it is somewhat reminiscent of 12 Hops of Christmas. It smells sweet and perhaps a tad sugary. The malt base is sturdy, but subtle. I’m not getting any caramel malt at all. Maybe a little pale. Whatever it is, it gives the hops plenty of room to shine. Alcohol is blended well.

The flavor is easily on-par with the nose. It really does have an interesting, restrained malt profile. I suspect it is mostly pale. I’m not getting any overly sweet caramel notes, and I love that about it. It really enables the hops to take charge and deliver bold, tasty citric and pine flavors. Citrus grapefruit, mango, and pineapple flavors are strong and delicious. It is bitter, but isn’t palate wrecking by any stretch. Don’t get me wrong, the hops have an aggressive, intense impact, but it’s apparent in flavor rather than bitterness. Alcohol is masked extremely well and isn’t all that strong. Finishes with a ton of hop flavor and just a touch of bitterness.

Bodhi has a medium body that is definitely nice and smooth. Carbonation is dialed down nicely. It’s going down really easy. In terms of its abv, it’s definitely deceptive and inviting. Proceed with caution.

Several years ago, the first elephant born in the Columbus Zoo was named Bodhi. Bodhi was also synonymous with ‘nirvana’ according to ancient Buddhism. Irrespective of what prompted the name here, it is a tremendous elephant of a beer. I would also buy into the argument that drinking it is close to nirvana. It really is excellent. Grab a growler and see for yourself. (2,278 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a hazy golden orange with a bright white head. Head has pretty solid retention, turning into a ring of bubbles around the edge and leaves some really nice layered lacing.

S- Getting crushed by tropical fruits, a touch of pine and maybe a bit of bready malts. I had to look really hard to find them.

D- Tons of tropical fruits and a lot more pine that I picked up in the nose. Has a nice bitter bite to it as well. I like this.

M- Medium in body and a good amount of carbonation.

O- Very nicely done. I'm really digging this. Tough choice to pick between this and their IPA. (588 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Ah, yes. I finally get to try Bodhi. For a while I feared that this one would never make a reappearance. Thank God for the Hop Odyssey redux.

Growler poured into a St Bernardus wine-style glass. I'm going to experiment with glass shapes over the course of this growler to see which one I like the most for this beer.

Appearance
Despite the wide mouth on this glass the head and it's retention are very strong. I'm getting a couple full rings of pure white lace with a smattering of foam below them. The beer has a nice color, but for whatever reason it came as a surprise to me. Its a pretty pale gold with a modest haze about it. I think my surprise came from the fact that this is lighter in color than their regular IPA. Maybe that just means there will be less malt intrusion and a lighter malt character all around. We'll see here in a second.

Aroma
Lots of the tropical hoppy aromas that make CBC beers so fantastic. This one, however, brings a lot more pine than the others in Eric's portfolio. It smells like they are going after Pliny the Elder here, and are doing a good job at it. A bright pineapple and grapefruit rind combo carries equal weight to lots of fresh evergreen and pine sap. Malts are definitely sturdy here and of the lighter order. There might be some pilsner malt, but whatever it is is giving off lots of white bread and crackery dough aromas. There is even and intermittent honey sweetness. This is certainly bursting with hops, it smells green and fresh.

Taste
Pine is very strong and sees things through to the end. At about half palate grapefruit rind and lemon zest come out and provide their tropical nuances. Unlike many IIPAs, in my experience, the malts hold off until the finish, where they impart lots of white bread crust and unsalted cracker. There is a flash of sweet pineapple juice in the middle. The finish is formidably bitter with a long lingering pine resin flavor. Once the glass warms slightly a new level of citrus awakens. Things get very floral with notes of honeysuckle and candied orange. A similar effect is applied to the aroma as well.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, this ale finishes very, very dry. It gives it a very crisp, biting conclusion and keeps you sipping. The carbonation is more fluffy than sharp but it does grip the sides and tip of the tongue.

Overall
This is exactly what I think of when I think west coast imperial IPA. A truck load of hops with a pale malt base and copious notes of pine with citrus interspersed. People from all over are finally getting to know and enjoy CIPA, but its the small batch beers like this, Creeper and Uncle Rusty that I really wish could get spread around. Soon enough people will see that CBC isn't a one trick pony. Kudos guys, I can't wait to see whats next! (2,774 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

This one stole the show at the 2009 Micro Brew Festival. This is my number 1 DIPA it has it all. The smell is like your in the middle of a pine forest. The taste is what a hop head would expect from a double, grapefruity citrus heaven bomb, yet it still holds a balance. It's in no way over the top like Ruination it's just a thing of beauty. I'm so lucky to live so close to CBC if only the rest of the country could enjoy this brewery... On second thought that might mean less for us locals, scratch that!! My only beef with this beer and a few of the other CBC offerings is that we never know if they will be back in circulation again. Long live CBC!! (654 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a pint glass on 9/12/09

A - Very light & pale golden-yellow color. Slightly obscured & hazy. It was a full pour, so not much foam. Some small bubbly lace early on, but it doesn't hold.

S - Big grapefruit nose. Sweet & fruity citrus.

T - Very potent grapefruit is in the foreground & it certainly is quite bitter. Obvious hints of other light citrus fruits - orange, pineapple undertones & the like. Not getting much as far as malt characteristics.

M - Lighter side of medium-bodied. Crisp & zesty carbonation. There is a bit of lingering bitterness on the finish.

D - Almost too drinkable; it's a nicely ramped-up version of their IPA. Given my druthers, I would still take a regular Columbus IPA over this, but Bodhi is a damn close second. An excellent treat. (779 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

I was lucky enough to try this 'special' draft (that is what my waitress called it). I'm hoping that they keep this one around...

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white foam head that leaves a few rings of lacing towards the top of my glass.

S- An absolute citrus hop bomb! Very tropical and hoppy with a slight tang of alcohol.

T- Thankfully, this one tastes like it smells. Nice sharp initially hop bitterness with flavors of orange peel, tangerine, pineapple, passion fruit, and lemon. The alcohol has a slight warming effect on the way down but isn't bothesome.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation. A touch lighter in body that I would have guessed for a DIPA.

D- Dangerously drinkable with a great citrus hop flavor. (747 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last