Columbus Bodhi DIPA - Columbus Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: projectflam86 on 10-07-2009

Ratings: 1,121 | Reviews: 152
2.95/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Watered down IPA but ok at the local pub

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

32 Oz Growler courtesy of NiceBeerCans
A--Golden, yellow. Slight head dissipates quickly
S--Fantastic. Lots of floral notes, smells absolutely delicious. Smells like the hop bomb I'm looking for in a IIPA
M--Burst of refreshing light carbonation that fades with a buttery soft smoothness.
T--Hop forward rush to the palate, excellent malt transition on the back end that puts a dryness in your mouth--ready for another sip
O--Excellent IIPA. Even for a hop head like myself, I can truly appreciate a well-balanced IIPA. This is just a great beer that I'd love to try again. It was super fresh even a few days later.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

On draft. Very floral bouquet. Hoppy taste as would be expected but very smooth and well balanced unlike a lot of ipas. I'm not a huge ipa fan but this is a terrific beer

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Holds it's own against other top Ohio IPAs/DIPAs (Head Hunter/White Rajah).
Growler fill ($14) from my local bottle shop (Bottles 101 in Kent,OH).

L - Fantastic, golden hue. Soapy lacing.

S - Piney, not overpowering.

T - Smooth and not too heavy.

F - Resin, but again not over the top.

O - Just a fantastic DIPA that doesn't feel or taste like a DIPA. Clean & smooth, not bitter, not too heavy.

It's absolutely criminal that Columbus doesn't bottle this. I know they're planning to do so. It will fly off the shelves in Ohio. I could live the rest of my days drinking this, Head Hunter and White Rajah.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous hop forward double IPA. Unbalanced to the hop side just the way I like'em

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a deeply complex IPA. Velvety and smooth with no off putting attributes. Nice golden orange amber body. Head is short and off white poured from a growler. Orange rind and flowery resin dominate the nose. The body is bright and full of citrus as it enters the mouth with first sip. The body is very vibrant for any style, especially an IPA. Crisp, sharp, and electric in character and absolutely delicious in every way. I could drink this brew every day. This beer is the real thing. I really hope they start packaging this beer for distribution.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

Look 8/10
Smell 19/20
Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 20/20

Overall 96/100

One of the most amazing beers I have ever had... This DIPA is crisp, dry, dank beyond belief also has a subtle sweetness that isnt overwhelming or assertive, massive pine and citrus (Tones of Lemon, Grapefruit and Orange) Also has lots green, grassy earth tones. While the taste is certainly impressive, what's really amazing is how well the ABV is hidden, It's an 8% that drinks like 5.5% or less. I have had a few big dog IPA's (Heady, Pliny, Z-Dust, Double Citra) I would easily put this up against those any day of the week. Truly world class in every regard~

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

Had on draft at WOB in Columbus, OH. Super dank and resinous both in the smell and taste. I don't think this is the best beer brewed in OH, but it is great and worth seeking out if you are in the area(available draft only).

Fantastic. Found it at a tap house near Cleveland and ordered a pint. I was skeptical about the "best beer in Ohio" but damn if it isn't at least a strong contender for that title. A beautiful golden yellow with a little head, the nose and taste are very citrusy. Extremely easy to drink, I almost forgot I had a beer in my hand and not a smoothie.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Aroma - amazing, very pungent dankness, strong notes of pine
Color - nice hazy golden color
Taste - very piney citrus forward, leaves with a dry finish that makes you want to drink again and again.

Thank you Team Ohio for this taste. Will seek out again.

Very good DIPA glad to be able to pick this up in CBUS.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honey yellow color glows from the glass, not much head, lacing on each sip but not strong enough to cling. The smell is ridiculous, I smelled it the instant I popped the growler like it was caged and waiting to bust free. Amazing citrus aroma with strong orange, grapefruit and lemon. None of the grassy or piney notes hops usually bring. Very clean focused aroma. Taste is maybe the best of any beer I've had to date. So delicate with big citrus flavors. Orange, grapefruit and lemon; yeah it's all in there. Light sweetness in the background from the malt that accentuates and just let's the hops shine. Soft mouthfeel, low end of medium mouthfeel and none of the stickiness you'd expect from a beer with 8% ABV. Finish leaves great hop flavor, refreshing and crisp and then in a flash it dries out. This beer is dangerous. Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever had and I hope I get to have it again.

4.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

the thing thats so impressive about this beer isnt its hop profile, as good as that is (its amazing), but its the mouthfeel. there is no evidence at all that this is 8% abv, it drinks like 5%, and the body isnt even all big and sticky and filling, its just delicate stuff, very east coast, very impressive. the hop complexion does rock though, quite lemony but only mid range on the bitterness scale. there is a honey color to the beer but a definite baked malt profile under the hops, which gives balance but not much body and certainly no residual sugar. i like beers like this, that arent what i expect but are delicious anyways. some earthiness to the hops too, not grassy or piney, my familiar descriptors, but someplace in between, plant-like and mildy astringent, but with that lemon thing in there too. its got great carbonation and would be way too easy to get messed up on. my first beer from columbus is nothing short of sensational.

Top of the line DIPA

This is my first review and I don't think I'm very good at explaining and describing a beer. All I know is that this beer is absolutely phenomenal. I've had a lot of Pliny (the Elder). I've had Heady Topper and I've had quite a few Three Floyds. I know these are some of the greatest IPAs (or double IPAs). And they really are! I love them all (in their own way). But I really do have to say, if there was one beer that towers over them all, then it's this one. From the nose to the taste, it's just brilliant. I could never tire of drinking Bodhi. Columbus and their brewmaster have really done something phenomenal with this beer. I really don't even want to compare it to other beers. I don't feel like it should be a competition. But at the same time, I do have to say that this is absolutely the one I would favor over all of them. For the simple reason that it never gets old. Not too sweet. Not too bitter. Not too malty. It's just right. Glass after glass. With every sip, you'll taste a little bit of heaven. ;)

PS: I live in VA and drive up to OH just to drink this brilliant brew.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

Wouldn't have pegged this as a double. Crisp, clean, light body and modest bitterness. Not the most exciting hop bill, but well made.

Awesome

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%

Lovely lemon yellow in the glass. Passion fruit and mango nose is outstanding. Bright, bright citrus hops and a greasy hop mouthfeel that feels like taking a gulp of an oil spill -- love it.

The beer comes in a hazy golden yellow color.

The aroma offers big tangerine, passionfruit, ripe apricot, peaches. A bright Citra aroma with no malt to speak of.

The flavor follows tasting of pure grapefruit zest. A smack of spicy floral of lavender and hints of eucalyptus and grass hit on the middle as the beer dries out towards a slight herbacious note.

A hugely floral DIPA that could be mistaken for a treat from Shaun Hill of Hill Farmstead. A large hop presence that sticks to the teeth, leaving hop residue and flavors lingering.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

holy hopps...too much...no way!!

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a six-ish day old growler.

Aroma of citrus and tropical fruits jump out of the glass.

Taste is similar to the nose, citrus and tropical fruits, good malt balance, minimal bitterness. Not sure if this would be even fruitier if really fresh, but if so that would be pretty damn amazing.

Overall, a great beer. Very smooth and dangerously drinkable. Easily crushed three 12oz pours in a very short time period. Heady and Pliny have nothing on this.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Courtesy of SomethingClever thank you for your earnest effort for me to receive this beer! From notes..yeah I take those.
Appearance: Brilliant shade of Sunshine! Cloudy and mischievous, with a nice crown of frothy white head. The aroma is just straight Dank hops! Look, I hate to use the word Dank, but yeah, this brew is Dank and pleasant! Underlaying of citric, earthy hops with almost an herbal onion quality! The taste is just as banging! Citric, earthy and herbal. All hops with some subtle malts and alcohol on the back part of the tongue. The beer finishes as any DIPA should, dry, bitter and smooth! The mouthfeel is Medium-light and light carb.

Overall: This beer is up there with Gandhi Bot. This brew is now one of my favorite DIPAs. It isn't lacking anything when it comes to DIPAs. It's incredibly drinkable, hoppy and nice balance on the malts yet Raw! This brew is recommended!

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer is simply fantastic. Beautiful color and excellent smell. The hops explode on the tongue and there is little alcohol aftertaste that many DIPS's seem to have.

I am moving this into my upper tier of Brews with no reservation. Best beer brewed in Ohio in my opinion.

Best beer the CBC has!!

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the Pint Room-Dublin.
Damn good DIPA. Very light-straw colored, which made me wonder if it was going to be as good as I thought it would be. Had the look of a wheat ale. But that smell and taste immediately made me forget about that and I proceeded to have another and take home a growler of it. Im glad there is such a tasty DIPA that comes out of this state.

Columbus Bodhi DIPA from Columbus Brewing Company